What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washing Machine Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Sorry if honda. Need some help picking out a new Clothes Washing Machine. Anyone have an awesome recommendation? Large capacity. Frequent use. Willing to pay for great quality. More interested in rock solid dependability than bells and whistles. Much thanks. 

Sorry if honda. Need some help picking out a new Clothes Washing Machine. Anyone have an awesome recommendation? Large capacity. Frequent use. Willing to pay for great quality. More interested in rock solid dependability than bells and whistles. Much thanks. 
Speed Queen.   We bought the commercial grade.  No real bells and whistles.  I think it has 25 yr warranty on it. Reviews are off the chart.

You want to look at Speed Queen.  Just old school dials, made in the USA, and built to last for a 2 decades.  Not sold at your big box stores though.

Speed Queen.   We bought the commercial grade.  No real bells and whistles.  I think it has 25 yr warranty on it. Reviews are off the chart.
This. I tried the new fangled front loaders that use no water and they are very hard on fabric. Returned and went with the old school top loading speed queens. They use a ton of water and are not energy efficient but they just work. I believe they are actually 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.

We've had a good experience with our Samsung washer, going on 8 years now without a problem (I probably just gooched it). Front loader, high efficiency. The matching dryer's heating element busted after about 6 years though, and the replacement part was so expensive we ended up just getting a new dryer. Both are used heavily, near daily it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys. Like this https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx

Or do you mean really the commercial units? These have a 7 year warranty. Looks like there is a dealer close by.

I like the rock solid over bells and whistles. Are they sort of the Vitamix blender of washing machines?  Among the home models, https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx go with the one with the 7 year warranty?
Looks like they've updated the look a little in the past couple of years. I went with the electronic push buttons over the knobs but mine were not as fancy looking as those. Looks like all the same settings though. I wash every day clothing on heavy duty with a second rinse to get all soap out. If you go normal / eco it's just a spray rinse. Most machines nowadays don't give you that full rinse option.

Looks like they've updated the look a little in the past couple of years. I went with the electronic push buttons over the knobs but mine were not as fancy looking as those. Looks like all the same settings though. I wash every day clothing on heavy duty with a second rinse to get all soap out. If you go normal / eco it's just a spray rinse. Most machines nowadays don't give you that full rinse option.
Thanks. It looks like the true commercial units are pretty rare. Closest distributor to me is Nashville about 2.5 hours away. I think I'll lean more toward the home models with the 7 year warranty. 

We have had our Kenmore Steam front loading washer and dryer for now 10 years.

Outstanding appliances. One thing I have always liked is the reliability of Kenmore.

Yeah, definitely have upgraded since I got mine a couple years ago.  The other reason I liked Speed Queen is that it was smaller than front loading units, allowing my doors to close.

Outstanding appliances. One thing I have always liked is the reliability of Kenmore.
Kenmore used to be good. Now it's more of a crapshoot I think. Remember, Kenmore is just a Sears brand name they slap.on appliances made by different manufacturers. For example I have a Kenmore Elite fridge. It's made by LG. Some Kenmore washers are made by Whirlpool I believe. I have had really bad luck with appliances in general Samsung fridge and dishwasher were crap. Last Kenmore Elite fridge was also a lemon after only a couple years. Went back to the same well though with replacement, slightly different model but also made by LG. Hoping for better luck.

Front loader looks better if it is in plain sight..but I would also go with a top loader if I did it over.  Of course my wife could care less about how it operates as long as it looks good in our laundry room.

Kenmore used to be good. Now it's more of a crapshoot I think. Remember, Kenmore is just a Sears brand name they slap.on appliances made by different manufacturers. For example I have a Kenmore Elite fridge. It's made by LG. Some Kenmore washers are made by Whirlpool I believe. I have had really bad luck with appliances in general Samsung fridge and dishwasher were crap. Last Kenmore Elite fridge was also a lemon after only a couple years. Went back to the same well though with replacement, slightly different model but also made by LG. Hoping for better luck.
Just needed a minor repair on my 15+ year old Kenmore fridge (ice maker).... Appliance guy was almost not willing to work on it until I told him it was Whirlpool model. He is staunchly opposed to LG and Samsung for fridges. 

That said, I have an LG washer and it's at 10 years without any major probs. 

Probably because you bought it 10+ years ago.  Kenmore puts their name on all sorts of junk now days.  Our Kenmore "Elite" dishwasher went a whole month before plastic parts started breaking off of it. 

Front loader looks better if it is in plain sight..but I would also go with a top loader if I did it over.  Of course my wife could care less about how it operates as long as it looks good in our laundry room.
Just out of curiosity- why?  We love our front loaders.

Another vote for speed queen. Don't latch the door and you won't have problems with mold. At least we haven't, but maybe that's because it's not very humid where we live?

I also recommend the Speed Queen.  I use to run the appliance store my family started and we always carried Maytag and GE.  Maytag was always the best washer and but went to crap once Whirlpool bought them.  GE was decent but similar to Maytag and all the other brands.  I wanted to carry a brand that made a machine like the old Maytag and finally found Speed Queen.  Once I started carrying them we sold more of just the one model than any of the combined models of Maytag and GE.

Living in Iowa with mostly farmers for customers they grew up with the old Maytag washers and beat the crap out of them.  After 30 years of having a Maytag they wanted to buy the closest thing to it and the Speed Queens are very similar.  There's a reason they warranty their product as long as they do, they are built to last.  Laundry products are all they make and they are made in Ripon, WI.

Just needed a minor repair on my 15+ year old Kenmore fridge (ice maker).... Appliance guy was almost not willing to work on it until I told him it was Whirlpool model. He is staunchly opposed to LG and Samsung for fridges. 

That said, I have an LG washer and it's at 10 years without any major probs. 
Be prepared to replace that LG very soon.  The life span of most appliances is about 10 years, if you're lucky.

mold and mildew build up. We inherited top notch Samsung front loader when we bought. No matter how much we wiped it down and left door propped open, it had mildew smell. 
Got it - yes, we have that too - I spray with bleach and some other cleaners from time to time and while it doesn’t go away it isn’t so bad as to offset the benefit we get.  We have 6 people in the house so having a large frontloader has been a godsend for me and my wife.  

Probably because you bought it 10+ years ago.  Kenmore puts their name on all sorts of junk now days.  Our Kenmore "Elite" dishwasher went a whole month before plastic parts started breaking off of it. 
Well that sucks to hear. 

I also recommend the Speed Queen.  I use to run the appliance store my family started and we always carried Maytag and GE.  Maytag was always the best washer and but went to crap once Whirlpool bought them.  GE was decent but similar to Maytag and all the other brands.  I wanted to carry a brand that made a machine like the old Maytag and finally found Speed Queen.  Once I started carrying them we sold more of just the one model than any of the combined models of Maytag and GE.

Living in Iowa with mostly farmers for customers they grew up with the old Maytag washers and beat the crap out of them.  After 30 years of having a Maytag they wanted to buy the closest thing to it and the Speed Queens are very similar.  There's a reason they warranty their product as long as they do, they are built to last.  Laundry products are all they make and they are made in Ripon, WI.
Last month I helped my dad move out the old Maytag washer & dryer my P's have had since they moved into their house when I was in 4th grade -- 29 years ago.  The washer was still going strong but the dryer died.

Relevant article here: https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

It's from a reviewer looking in to the reasons Speed Queens have such rabid backing despite being rough on clothes, using more water, and costing more in the long run despite lasting forever (due to inefficient running).

It also says that the 2018 redesign sucks for everyone - Speed Queen fans hate it, and so do reviewers.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-washer-and-dryer/ is a good place to start IMO - I've had great success with Wirecutter recommendations.

Never found my speed queen or similar style older Kenmore top loaders to be rough on clothes. It's the front loaders or high efficiency top loaders that use like 3 ounces of water that beat the crap out of the fabric because they rely on friction between the barely wet clothes to clean them.

Relevant article here: https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

It's from a reviewer looking in to the reasons Speed Queens have such rabid backing despite being rough on clothes, using more water, and costing more in the long run despite lasting forever (due to inefficient running).

It also says that the 2018 redesign sucks for everyone - Speed Queen fans hate it, and so do reviewers.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-washer-and-dryer/ is a good place to start IMO - I've had great success with Wirecutter recommendations.
Speed Queen was forced to redesign their machines due to government regulations.  It sucked but they were required to do so.  The machines are really not that more rough on clothes than any other machine, even the front loaders.  There are plenty of reports of people having major issues with clothes getting twisted and ripped in front loaders.

When I sold appliances I would recommend a front loader to women that wanted a machine with large capacity and only washed casual wear clothes.  If the women was washing farm clothes or they had a lot of heavy soiled clothes I only recommended the Speed Queens.  I did not want them buying a front loader then calling me a couple months later being pissed off their clothes never got clean enough.

In order for heavily soiled clothes to get clean they need more water, soap and action.  An agitator in a washer may be harder on clothes but that's what it takes to get really dirty clothes clean.  Not only do they wash better but they are build better and much easier to fix with the best warranty.

How much are new speed queens typically?

For commercial and home?
The washers are about $900 and up.  The dryers are typically less expensive though.

Speed Queen was forced to redesign their machines due to government regulations.  It sucked but they were required to do so.  The machines are really not that more rough on clothes than any other machine, even the front loaders.  There are plenty of reports of people having major issues with clothes getting twisted and ripped in front loaders.

When I sold appliances I would recommend a front loader to women that wanted a machine with large capacity and only washed casual wear clothes.  If the women was washing farm clothes or they had a lot of heavy soiled clothes I only recommended the Speed Queens.  I did not want them buying a front loader then calling me a couple months later being pissed off their clothes never got clean enough.

In order for heavily soiled clothes to get clean they need more water, soap and action.  An agitator in a washer may be harder on clothes but that's what it takes to get really dirty clothes clean.  Not only do they wash better but they are build better and much easier to fix with the best warranty.

The washers are about $900 and up.  The dryers are typically less expensive though.
Thanks @Hawkeye21 What are your thoughts on the new models of Speed Queens? Would you still recommend that to customers?

We have pretty normal clothes and they don't get especially dirty. My main thing is I just want something that's reliable and dependable. Our current front loading Kenmore seems to regularly have something going on with it. 

Thanks @Hawkeye21 What are your thoughts on the new models of Speed Queens? Would you still recommend that to customers?

We have pretty normal clothes and they don't get especially dirty. My main thing is I just want something that's reliable and dependable. Our current front loading Kenmore seems to regularly have something going on with it. 
When we closed our appliance store Speed Queen was just switching over to the new design and I was able take one home before they came out at a reduce cost in order to try it out.  I've been very happy with mine and it's been over 4 years now.  The current models I am not as familiar with but I'm assuming they are similar to what I have now.  When we closed our store one of my employees started his own appliance store and I know he sells more Speed Queens than anything else.  He also sells GE.  He was our service man for over 20 years so he knows what machines are good and what are crap.

If you just have pretty casual wear then a front loader is probably just fine but the longevity of most brands is about 10 years if you're lucky.  Most brands usually have a one year warranty.  Since the many of the brands come out with a new machine pretty much every year they do not have parts available for them very long.  Generally a front loader does not have a cheap repair to it if the parts are actually available.  Don't get me wrong, front loaders do have plenty of benefits as well, I just prefer a good old heavy duty machine built to last.

When we closed our appliance store Speed Queen was just switching over to the new design and I was able take one home before they came out at a reduce cost in order to try it out.  I've been very happy with mine and it's been over 4 years now.  The current models I am not as familiar with but I'm assuming they are similar to what I have now.  When we closed our store one of my employees started his own appliance store and I know he sells more Speed Queens than anything else.  He also sells GE.  He was our service man for over 20 years so he knows what machines are good and what are crap.

If you just have pretty casual wear then a front loader is probably just fine but the longevity of most brands is about 10 years if you're lucky.  Most brands usually have a one year warranty.  Since the many of the brands come out with a new machine pretty much every year they do not have parts available for them very long.  Generally a front loader does not have a cheap repair to it if the parts are actually available.  Don't get me wrong, front loaders do have plenty of benefits as well, I just prefer a good old heavy duty machine built to last.
Thanks. The wirecutter article promoting how much long time fans hate the new models was interesting. https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/  Although the author does seem a little giddy to find people who've changed their opinion on Speed Queen.  I'll try to weigh it out. 

Thanks. The wirecutter article promoting how much long time fans hate the new models was interesting. https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/  I'll try to weigh it out. 
I was the third generation of our appliance store.  My grandpa use to sell the old Maytag ringer washers when he was running it.  My dad sold the avocado green and harvest gold color Maytag washers and the transition into the front loaders.  As great as the front loaders were at first our customers eventually just wanted their old Maytag top loaders back.  People got tired of the repairs, the mold and smells.  They were more maintenance.  Like I said earlier our customer base is mostly agricultural and they get dirty, very dirty.  Front loaders just couldn't cut it.

One of the biggest issues I saw with front loaders was trying to get people to change what kind of soap they used and how much they used.  People use way too much soap.  The front loaders need to use HE soap and not a lot.  The machines will not run properly otherwise.  Eventually the bearings would go out is almost every front load machine we sold and they were junk after than unless the customer wanted to spend a lot of money repairing it.  To me it's not worth the money and hassle to own one, but that's just me.

I’m going back to a front loader soon. Got a top loading LG and the uneven balancing stopping the wash all the time is painful. We have three boys and sports all the time so we probably average 1-2 loads per day. I think at this point it’s warn out and you can’t wash big lids anymore and need to be careful loading it up so it finishes with no readjustment. Never had that issue with the front loader because of he tumbling wash.

I remember the mildew issue, but my old Kenmore front loader wasn’t too bad at all. I made sure the door was open but didn’t have to wipe it down much. The biggest issue was where the detergent loaded and I’d have to really clean that out. It was best to just pull it out as well since it was easy to pull out and put back when running. 

@Joe Bryant  What did you end up getting?

As of today I am in the market for a new washer - we do a lot of laundry - have 3 active boys doing lots of sports, so the washer is being run constantly, and for the foreseeable future, likely at least until the end of the year, have my BIL and his family (another 3 active boys) staying with us, so will need something that can handle being run near constantly, handle well used football/soccer/basketball uniforms/gear etc. I'd never heard of Speed Queen until seeing this thread, so will check them out as I start my research and make a decision on what to get, possibly as soon as this weekend.

@Hawkeye21 - any suggestions based upon our likely high level of usage?

As of today I am in the market for a new washer - we do a lot of laundry - have 3 active boys doing lots of sports, so the washer is being run constantly, and for the foreseeable future, likely at least until the end of the year, have my BIL and his family (another 3 active boys) staying with us, so will need something that can handle being run near constantly, handle well used football/soccer/basketball uniforms/gear etc. I'd never heard of Speed Queen until seeing this thread, so will check them out as I start my research and make a decision on what to get, possibly as soon as this weekend.

I recommend the Speed Queen.  It's a heavy duty machine.  I know their new models are different than what I have now and what I use to sell but they still have a quality product.  They are made in Wisconsin and they have the best warranty.  You're going to want that warranty if you're using it that much.  Try to buy it from someone local if you can find a dealer.

Other people may say they really like their Samsung or LG but they are not built to last.  Don't give in to the fancy looks of them or all the techie crap they offer.  Front load machines are popular but they require more maintenance and they almost always have an issue with the bearing going out within 10 years or less.

12 years into our LG front loaders... I think I spent $80 to reseal a gasket after a move (movers fault).

Ha! I wound up not getting a new one. I got so discouraged reading the back and forth stuff on Speed Queen and how it was once awesome and now not and the whole phenomena over how people are in love with them on line which was surely borne out here. I wound up sticking with what we have and it's been ok. 

Good luck!

12 years into our LG front loaders... I think I spent $80 to reseal a gasket after a move (movers fault).
We had an LG front loader before moving from TX to MN (and decided to leave w/ the house) and absolutely loved it.  They cleaned the absolute crap out of clothes.  Literally (cloth diapers) and figuratively.  Only had it a few years but had no problems/complaints.

Sticking with my old Maytag top loader.  I had the choice of replacing the belt and some other stuff for $300 or buy what has been described to me by repair folks as “disposable” washers.  I have heard good things about LG, but they’re ridiculously expensive these days for what you get out of them.    

Two kids and my wife runs a daycare out of the house so we do a LOT of laundry. Will never own a front loader again, primarily due to smell.  I’ve owned 2 over the past 15 years ( figuring after the first one died, surely they fixed the issue, ummm no).

also will never buy a Samsung anything again. Second washer <4 years and a really nice 4drawer fridge <5 years. 

Now have LGs and so far (<a year) all is going well. I know everything is now disposable but give me closer to 10 years please for these prices.

odin33 said:
Two kids and my wife runs a daycare out of the house so we do a LOT of laundry. Will never own a front loader again, primarily due to smell.  I’ve owned 2 over the past 15 years ( figuring after the first one died, surely they fixed the issue, ummm no).

also will never buy a Samsung anything again. Second washer <4 years and a really nice 4drawer fridge <5 years. 

Now have LGs and so far (<a year) all is going well. I know everything is now disposable but give me closer to 10 years please for these prices.
There's really not a big difference between LG and Samsung.  They're both Korean made.  Made to last about 10 years if lucky.  Service on them is not great.

Has anyone had issues with a strong musty smell from their front loading washers?   I've read about this online, but I don't know if it is my washer or if it is the drain.

Users who are viewing this thread