What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Good And Bad of Offensive Line Rankings (1 Viewer)

Matt Waldman

Footballguy
Offensive line rankings.

PFF has a method. Football Outsiders has a method. And Matt Harmon used Next Gen Stats for a quick-hitting ranking at NFL.com in February. What info do you trust and why? What's problematic about each method?

For instance, I can appreciate that Harmon's method defines one of the factors as yards gained before a defender comes within a yard of the runner, but that seems like an awfully conservative way to rate effectiveness. Should I really count a defensive tackle or linebacker's hand coming within that "1-yard zone" of a ball carrier as a bad thing?

Seems to me it's a bit like the worst aspect of yards after contact where a defender can slap his fingertips on the thigh of a runner 5 yards into a 45-yard run and that runner gets credit for 40 yards after contact. That's an inflated indication of power...

I'd like to hear your thoughts on o-line rankings and what you find valuable and not as much. 

I prefer PFF rankings. They aren't perfect, but I like that they grade every play subjectively, with multiple graders, rather than just using cutoff criteria, like a 1 yard zone, or just using stats, like your 40 yard YAC example.

I think this somewhat depends on what you are ranking the offensive lines for.

The main things I see wanting to use this information for is for RB. You want to have RB who have good run blocking. This is where I think FBO adjusted line yards can make for a nice ranking.

Teams are ranked according to Adjusted Line Yards. Based on regression analysis, the Adjusted Line Yards formula takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line based on the following percentages:

Losses: 120% value

0-4 Yards: 100% value

5-10 Yards: 50% value

11+ Yards: 0% value

These numbers are then adjusted based on down, distance, situation, opponent, and the difference in rushing average between shotgun compared to standard formations. Finally, we normalize the numbers so that the league average for Adjusted Line Yards per carry is the same as the league average for RB yards per carry. These stats are explained further here.
To me this seems very useful as far as breaking ties between RB who otherwise may be considered similar tier. 

The main problem I see is that is the adjusted line yards a reflection of good offensive line play or good RB play? It is a chicken and egg question because the two are so connected to each other. Another factor that I think matters is good QB play to keep the defense honest as well as good play calling. Some coaches seem to be able to get more out of their rushing attack due to good timing of play calls as well as scheme. All of these things contribute to a RB success or lack of success.

I think we have all seen RB who are not the best at their position thrive due to a good situation and good offensive line play. We all have also seen teams who are not good at running the ball suddenly become good at that by adding a better RB.

I don't think the PFF grades are as good at answering what offensive lines are good for RB performance, because their grades are also tied to the pass blocking, which does not really help the RB at all. If those grades could be parsed out, similar to what FBO does then perhaps they could be more useful.

There is a ongoing thread discussing these things started by Borden here

Chaka has been doing some nice research about the continuity of offensive lines. How many games have the starters and backups actually played and how much they have played together. I know Matt Bitoni a former offensive lineman himself has focused on the continuity a lot when developing his offensive line rankings as well.

It makes a certain degree of sense that the linemen need to be on the same page and work together as one. So the more games they have played, and games played together helps that. I used to believe in this a bit more strongly than I do today however because of the pretty big turnaround that we saw last year with the Rams and Vikings offensive lines. If continuity was such an important thing, then I think it would have taken longer for those improvements to happen.

In the case of the Vikings it was mostly personnel changes that led to the improvement. For the Rams it was widespread changes in the coaching, improved passing game and personnel.

The main weakness that I see with adjusted line yards is that it doesn't account for offensive line personnel changes from free agency and the draft, and this is where rankings of each offensive lineman can be more useful, for trying to account for how these changes.

Chaka has been doing some nice research about the continuity of offensive lines. How many games have the starters and backups actually played and how much they have played together. I know Matt Bitoni a former offensive lineman himself has focused on the continuity a lot when developing his offensive line rankings as well.
I have always hated the argument that color commentators should all be ex-NFL players because they know the game having played in the NFL. Having said that when I hear Ross Tucker talk about offensive lineman it does make me wonder if OLmen that have played at the NFL level would do a better job of evaluating how well/poorly guys are playing. He has some great commentary about playing OL in the NFL sprinkled throughout his podcasts.

Speaking of Tucker and his podcasts, I really wish he would have an OL podcast during the season. You are talking about 160 starting players in the NFL and there is very little analysis of the OL even though it has a huge effect on the outcomes of games. Just go back and watch that DAL@ATL game last year for instance. He could talk about which injuries are likely to hamper particular offenses, emerging players/trends. For that matter recently retired OLmen seemingly never get interviewed the way "talent" positions do but I would be interested to hear their stories and perspectives. They can speak much more knowledgeably about the DLman in the game as well since they lineup against them on every play.

I don't think the PFF grades are as good at answering what offensive lines are good for RB performance, because their grades are also tied to the pass blocking, which does not really help the RB at all. If those grades could be parsed out, similar to what FBO does then perhaps they could be more useful.
PFF gives each OL 3 separate grades: pass blocking, run blocking, and overall grade.

You have seen this in some of my posts. For example, from the other Offensive Lines thread:

Leveraging some info from my Chargers thread, here are the PFF grades from the Chargers OL last season:

• Tackle (out of 124 graded Ts):

LT Okung - 926 snaps - #26 overall, #13 pass blocking, #79 run blocking
  • RT Barksdale - 657 snaps - #82T overall, #40T pass blocking, #122 run blocking
  • Schofield - 407 snaps - #88 overall, #94T pass blocking, #55 run blocking
  • Tevi - 135 snaps - #84 overall, #68 pass blocking, #106 run blocking
  • Hairston - 23 snaps - #58 overall, #69 pass blocking, #52 run blocking

[*]Guard (out of 123 graded Gs):

• LG Feeney - 665 snaps - #59 overall, #95T pass blocking, #41 run blocking
  • LG Slauson - 424 snaps - #79 overall, #49 pass blocking, #91 run blocking
  • RG Wiggins - 1040 snaps - #111T overall, #88 pass blocking, #112 run blocking

[*]Center (out of 46 graded Cs):

• Pulley - 1054 snaps - #45 overall, #46 in pass blocking, #44 in run blocking

The good:

1. LT Okung stayed mostly healthy (missed 1 game) and was the team's best OL. He was particularly good at pass protection, which is important for Rivers' blind side.
  2. LG Feeney had a really good rookie season and was selected to the PFWA All-Rookie Team. The Chargers really like him, and justifiably so IMO. Lynn prefers guards who can pull, and Feeney is very good at that. He will be the starter going forward.
The bad:

1. The Chargers allowed 188 pressures, which was 7th most in the league. The fact that they allowed the fewest sacks in the league is a testament to Rivers' ability to get the ball out quickly... he led the league with 35 throwaways.
  2. RG Lamp, who was the first guard drafted in the 2017 draft, was lost to injury in preseason, which forced RG Wiggins to start. Wiggins played over 1000 snaps last season, and the team needed that from him once Lamp and Slauson both got hurt. But his play was terrible. Fortunately, the team let him walk.
The ugly:

1. C Pulley was arguably the single worst offensive lineman in the league who played extensive snaps last season. Per PFF, he was worse than 12 other backup centers last season. He is not a starter-caliber player.
  2. The run blocking on the right side of the line - C Pulley, RG Wiggins, RT Barksdale - was the worst in the league. Each player I named here was near the very bottom of his position group in PFF run blocking grade.

@Just Win Baby Yeah I think that is more useful than the overall grades for linemen,

I never finished my thought as far as what else you might use this for. For the QB having good pass blocking really helps but that should be accounted for in how many sacks and pressures they are taking. Beyond this how would it be actionable for fantasy?

I think these metrics could possibly taken a step further through mathematically finding if there is any correlations between them and real stats such as yards. I am not sure if there is any direct correlation. I think one would need to use several seasons of these PFF grades or ALY to look at that. If some correlation could be found then you could use that to align the grades to something actionable for fantasy. Such as rushing or passing yard adjustments based on these offensive line grades.

I have always hated the argument that color commentators should all be ex-NFL players because they know the game having played in the NFL. Having said that when I hear Ross Tucker talk about offensive lineman it does make me wonder if OLmen that have played at the NFL level would do a better job of evaluating how well/poorly guys are playing. He has some great commentary about playing OL in the NFL sprinkled throughout his podcasts.

Speaking of Tucker and his podcasts, I really wish he would have an OL podcast during the season. You are talking about 160 starting players in the NFL and there is very little analysis of the OL even though it has a huge effect on the outcomes of games. Just go back and watch that DAL@ATL game last year for instance. He could talk about which injuries are likely to hamper particular offenses, emerging players/trends. For that matter recently retired OLmen seemingly never get interviewed the way "talent" positions do but I would be interested to hear their stories and perspectives. They can speak much more knowledgeably about the DLman in the game as well since they lineup against them on every play.
Yeah I don't think someone must be a former player to understand football.

I do think it can help though, especially when it comes to blocking schemes and things like that. I think I have learned some things about this, but I cannot say with any level of certainty that I know what each offensive lineman' assignment is on a particular play to be able to judge how effective they were.

This is pretty much Mike Zimmers criticism of PFF grades. That the graders don't know what the coaches are asking the linemen to do on each play to be able to judge how well they did that.

Yeah I don't think someone must be a former player to understand football.

I do think it can help though, especially when it comes to blocking schemes and things like that. I think I have learned some things about this, but I cannot say with any level of certainty that I know what each offensive lineman' assignment is on a particular play to be able to judge how effective they were.

This is pretty much Mike Zimmers criticism of PFF grades. That the graders don't know what the coaches are asking the linemen to do on each play to be able to judge how well they did that.
I can’t stand this argument. 

Even if a guy picks up the wrong assignment, the better question is did they still make a good block? If an effective block is still made but on the wrong defender it should be a neutral or “0” value play. If an ineffective block is made, it should still be a negative or -1 play. It seems that the “bad” is still being captured and the good is being just slightly over estimated.

But the more important question is: How many “missed” evaluations are there in a season because of not knowing the exact protection? If a lineman plays the whole year, that’s roughly a 1000 snaps. For their model to be even just 90% correct, said lineman would have to miss 100 assignments a year or 6.25 per game. That seems like a very high number for a pro to not know what he is supposed to do on a play.

Outside of missed assignments what else would be a reason that an OL would go to a defender that they don’t plan on blocking? Sure there are certain plays (like a screen pass) but those are obviously not graded the same. And again what percentage of plays are like this?

The reason that PFF grades are the best is because A) they can be used for each individual lineman and B) their grades are from watching each snap. These to things are very important because it helps see how things will be going forward. Unless an entire OL stays together from 1 season to the next, unit grades are going to be a lot more skewed from year to year. If even 1 starter changes on an OL that’s a 20% unknown on projections/impact. Every model will be subject to player improvement and decline, coaching and scheme changes, etc. With PFF grades you can make a lot more reasonable projections with changes to the OL. 

Edit: This isn’t to say that I throw out all other metrics and rankings and such. But I think that PFF is the strongest base to build off of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even if a guy picks up the wrong assignment, the better question is did they still make a good block? If an effective block is still made but on the wrong defender it should be a neutral or “0” value play. If an ineffective block is made, it should still be a negative or -1 play. It seems that the “bad” is still being captured and the good is being just slightly over estimated.
Is that how PFF grades players? I honestly don't know. 

I have seen grades by them but I do not know what is behind those grades. What are they derived from?

Is it as you say a +1 0 or -1 for the lineman on one particular play, that does seem like one way to grade the players. This is what I have been trying to practice with my charting of RB traits. Each play if the player demonstrates power for example, I give the player a +1 in that trait. If the demonstrate bad power, I give them a -1. If power wasn't demonstrated either way it is a 0. This is a somewhat subjective process though, I am just trying to make it as simple as I can by grading in this way. On some plays for example the player maybe deserves a +2 or +3 if they are demonstrating the trait multiple times on the same play. No single play is the same. I can definitely see some plays as more impressive than others in regards to the trait being demonstrated, but they are all getting the same grade from me.

This is something I am still experimenting with. I am not sure how best to assign grades. No one has taught me how to do it. The thought certainly has crossed my mind that not all plays are equal, and that perhaps some plays should get more than a plus one, or conversely some plays may deserve more than a -1.

The way I have been doing this also is that I am more reluctant to give a -1 on a play than I am a +1. The player has to do some very bad to get a -1 from me on a play, while a player getting a +1 does not have to be that amazing for me to give the player credit for demonstrating the trait on that play. I am doing this purposefully, because I want to focus more on what the player does well than to focus on what they do not do well.

It is a subjective thing. I endeavor to be consistent in how I am grading the players, but there are a lot of variables on every play including variables in myself on any particular day. and I cannot say that I am always being consistent, even though I am trying to be. 

I don't have a set of rules and guidelines to follow when assigning my grades to plays. Maybe PFF does? I think having some sort of structure could help my grading to be more consistent. I am just not sure how to set up those rules and guidelines right now.

I realize this is somewhat off topic, although i hope related to talking about how someone on PFF is giving out their grades. They are not any different than you or me. Everyone grades a bit differently and PFF has a lot of different people grading plays and players. If they had the same person always doing the grades for specific players, at least there would be some consistency in the grader, but to my understanding they are not doing that.

IIRC you took some sort of a class or tutorial on how to watch and grade plays. I have asked you about this before, but you didn't really tell me that much that you learned from doing this. I would be interested to hear more about what you learned, and perhaps more pointedly how I could set some rules and guidelines to make my charting more consistent.

Anyhow if I better understood PFF's process for grading, their grades would be more meaningful from that context. 

If it is as you say a +1 - or -1 that would be helpful to know. I do not know if this is how they do it, or if they use some other method.

But the more important question is: How many “missed” evaluations are there in a season because of not knowing the exact protection? If a lineman plays the whole year, that’s roughly a 1000 snaps. For their model to be even just 90% correct, said lineman would have to miss 100 assignments a year or 6.25 per game. That seems like a very high number for a pro to not know what he is supposed to do on a play.
It is very difficult to know this. Only the coaches of the team and perhaps the players of the team actually know this.

If the protection is called and the player does their job, what they were asked to do, yet they still give up pressure, is that the players fault for not going off script? Are offensive linemen supposed to go off script? What are their rules and guidelines for this? If the TE was supposed to help to the outside and the lineman was supposed play the other side of the defender, is it the TEs fault for not redirecting to the tackle? 

This is something that Zimmer hints at with why the PFF grades are wrong, because the grader does not know what the call was, but the coaches do.

90% accuracy of their grades seems really optimistic to me, when you consider all of the different variables that can go into a pressure and who is responsible, or who made the mistake. Some times the pressure is the QBs fault not the lineman, but PFF likely gives a -1 (or whatever it is they do) to the lineman for not making the block.

I am not sure how we could ever know this, but it would not surprise me if players are missing more assignments than what you are saying. Players will miss assignments or fail to execute a lot of times that does not end up affecting the execution of the play that is away from them for example.

How often are the PFF graders missing on their evaluations?

I don't know, but it would not surprise me if it a lot more than 10% of the time.

Outside of missed assignments what else would be a reason that an OL would go to a defender that they don’t plan on blocking? Sure there are certain plays (like a screen pass) but those are obviously not graded the same. And again what percentage of plays are like this?
A lot of times. Defenses will set up situations where the offensive linemen cannot be right. They flood defenders and make the lineman make a choice which one to block. If two defenders are attacking the same lineman responsibility om zone blocking, how does PFF grade that? Does the lineman get charted for giving up pressure for the defender they did not block? Even if they did block the other defender?

I don't know how PFF handles this but i can tell you that defenses are designed to make it difficult and to provide no win situations to linemen as much as possible.

The reason that PFF grades are the best is because A) they can be used for each individual lineman and B) their grades are from watching each snap. These to things are very important because it helps see how things will be going forward. Unless an entire OL stays together from 1 season to the next, unit grades are going to be a lot more skewed from year to year. If even 1 starter changes on an OL that’s a 20% unknown on projections/impact. Every model will be subject to player improvement and decline, coaching and scheme changes, etc. With PFF grades you can make a lot more reasonable projections with changes to the OL. 

Edit: This isn’t to say that I throw out all other metrics and rankings and such. But I think that PFF is the strongest base to build off of.
While this is your opinion, I do not really agree that PFF is the best and I don't think your examples prove that it is.

I do agree with having a grade for each lineman is useful, because players can change teams, as I already mentioned above.

I already talked about several things that can go wrong with the evaluation on every snap earlier. The FBO outsiders adjusted line yards is also measuring every snap. So in my view it does not make the PFF grade any better or worse than what FBO is doing. However what FBO is doing has set guidelines and structure for how they assign the grade, which I quoted above, and to me that is better than what PFF is doing, because it is tied to actual yards, instead of a more subjective number, however PFF does this, again I do not know how they do it. If it is a +1 0 or -1 or if they are doing something else than this.

I am not sure if it does help us see things going forward, because players change over time. A player might have a bad game for example and that game goes into their grade, but the very next game might be terrific, so knowing what they did in the previous game or even on a play by play basis does not really tell me they are going to be that effective on the next play. Now obviously once you have a lot of plays and seasons of data to draw on, it does make how they might perform on the next play more predictable than a player who hasn't played much yet.

Although you made several statements after point B I think most of those things are related to point A.

I respect your opinion, but I don't really share it. Mostly because I do not really know what goes into the PFF grades. If I did they could be more useful to me.

Here are some articles where Zimmer and others are criticizing PFF grades:

Mike Zimmer (Awesomely) Addresses PFF Ratings

I know the people that are grading our games and our defenses and our offenses, they don’t know if the tackle gets beat inside he wasn’t sliding out to the nickel, or who our guys are supposed to cover,” Zimmer told the Star Tribune. “I guarantee they don’t know who’s in our blitz package and what they’re supposed to do. I would just ask that everybody take that with a grain of salt, including our fans. We as coaches get paid a whole bunch of money to do the jobs that we do, evaluate the players that we evaluate and grade them how we grade them, not based on something else.”
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer skeptical of Pro Football Focus grades

Zimmer is not the only one who disagrees with PFF grades. Many of the coaches do as do the players. The amount of disagreements are numerous.

In fairness ZImmer made these comments about PFF in 2016 when the Vikings offensive line was terrible and I don't need anyone to tell me that. It was obviously so. I agree with PFF calling out Matt Kalil for the numerous poor blocking attempts he made. I still can't say I agree with how they quantified that however, because I don't understand how they did that or what it means in context.

TJ Clmmings in particular missed a ton of blocks and PFF also graded him very poorly. So I was/am pretty much in agreement with that. Zimmer is making his comments against PFF in this context, because he was getting sick of journalists using PFF grades in the way they were framing their questions about the poor offensive line play.

There are other times where I very much disagree with how PFF is grading players that I have watched a lot. For example they did not grade Xavier Rhodes as well as I think they should have. While Rhodes was hurt and I don't think he played as well in 2017 as he did in 2016. He still shut down top WRs like Mike Evans and others, and PFF did not give him enough credit in my opinion.

There are many more examples than this of me disagreeing with their grades on players. There are also plenty of times that they warp their stats completely out of context in the form of a hot take. I think Matt Waldman is alluding to this in regards to the yards after contact stat for example. I think Matt is wrong a lot of the time too but I do not think the PFF graders have watched or understand more about football than Waldman does. Both have watched a lot. Hell I disagree with Gred Cossell a lot too, but he has likely watched more football than most.

I prefer PFF rankings. They aren't perfect, but I like that they grade every play subjectively, with multiple graders, rather than just using cutoff criteria, like a 1 yard zone, or just using stats, like your 40 yard YAC example.
Which is also their biggest flaw IMO. There is no question in my mind that they look at a lot of players through an already predetermined lens and evaluate them subconsciously a bit higher or lower because of it. There are numerous times where I'll see their grading of a Bills player after a game and it seem way off after watching the same game. And I know it's not just me because there are a few really football smart Buffalo beat reporters that do weekly grades on players and their grades in those situations are usually closer to mine than PFF's.

But how do you know who missed the assignment and how that affected the guys around him? 

If the RG makes the wrong read and blocks the DT that the Center was supposed to block and the RG makes a great block on him, but the Center turns too slow to try to pickup the RGs guy and makes a poor block that gets the QB sacked, how are you going to grade that Center if you don't know who was supposed to block who to begin with? Because all you know on that play is that the RG made a great block and the Center reacted too slow and made a bad block.

As for how many times that happens in a game...who knows? But one blown assignment that leads to a sack given up being assigned to the wrong guy will have a large impact on PFF's grading. 

If you want to know how they grade, read their explanation. Here is another explanation specific to grading QBs.
Thanks JWB.

On every play, a PFF analyst will grade each player on a scale of -2 to +2 according to what he did on the play.
This uses half points as well so a play has a scale of 9 different outcomes.

Each game is also graded by a second PFF analyst independent of the first, and those grades are compared by a third, Senior Analyst, who rules on any differences between the two. These grades are verified by the Pro Coach Network, a group of former and current NFL coaches with over 700 combined years of NFL coaching experience, to get them as accurate as they can be.
This is a good form of peer review. So if this is true there are 3 different graders looking at the same play. To who assign the grade then a 3rd who reviews for quality control.

There are a lot of different things that happen on each play. For example when charting RB I have 15 different traits that I am looking for and assigning a grade to on each play.

The explanation doesn't talk about different skills or traits of the players in their grades. I guess I would like to see this unpacked a bit more. What are the different things a player does on each play that they are evaluating? How do all of these different things get graded and bundled up into their score?

your thoughts on o-line rankings and what you find valuable and not as much. 
Offensive line rankings are a tool for making fantasy decisions so my value in O-line rankings is the final questions I want answered which are:

How does the offensive line affect the fantasy production of positions, 1, 2, 3, and does the level of play seriously impact players, X, Y, Z, of positions 1, 2, 3?

We all geek out on numbers in which we are emotionally invested in.

Right now, O-Line rankings don't provide an emotional payout. 

Demonstrable evidence of O-Line ranking affecting positions 1 and player X would bring out the hyper focused fantasy geeks in droves.

If You Build It, They Will Come

@Biabreakable I’m not sure what else you want from PFF. @Just Win Baby has provided an explanation for grading. Before that he showed that they give 3 different grades. If you look at the link in the other thread, they’ve also graded the unit as a whole and included the yards before contact stat for the run game. And that’s just the links that we’ve posted. Also, it should be noted that PFF isn’t just some random people getting together to jumble up the numbers that they want to. It’s been developed in part with NFL people and they contracted by 20ish (I’m not sure of the exact number) of NFL teams. PFF is owned by Chris Collinsworth so they should have decent access/contacts to NFL personnel.

This smoking gun that is “they don’t the play” applies to every set of rankings, grades, etc. I’m not sure why everyone seems to only hold this against PFF. Especially, when a negative play in their model can be narrowed down to a single player (or perhaps two) instead of always having to knock the whole group. I still don’t buy that there’s such a high number of plays that have unknowable blocking assignments that they drastically impact the results over the course of a season. Especially, when you consider there’s at least two people watching the film and people that have at least been taught what to look for by a company that has developed their system with NFL people.

Side note: I did do a “semester” of Dan Hatman’s Scouting Academy. It’s completely a rip off as far as a learning tool. I know that Mr. Bryant doesn’t like when people post negative things about other places and there’s some “crossover” with FBGs so I won’t go into it any more. PM me if you want to know anymore about that.

• Smile
Reactions: ZWK
I think PFF is as good of a proxy for talent/ability as we are going to get so I have no problem using it as a key part of an o-line unit valuation. 

I think it's value is diminished as players move, e.g. do Cordy Glenn's PFF rankings directly translate now that he is under a new scheme with new linemates? IMO no, they do not translate 1:1. 

I think they are also impacted as coaching staffs change, although I think the learning curve is steeper with the more linemen that return (btw "steep learning curve" is a term people have been using bass ackwards forever. Steep curve = easier. Shallow curve = more difficult.  Back me up here math guys).

Are the PFF rankings free? If not, how much?

I think PFF is as good of a proxy for talent/ability as we are going to get so I have no problem using it as a key part of an o-line unit valuation. 

I think it's value is diminished as players move, e.g. do Cordy Glenn's PFF rankings directly translate now that he is under a new scheme with new linemates? IMO no, they do not translate 1:1. 

I think they are also impacted as coaching staffs change, although I think the learning curve is steeper with the more linemen that return (btw "steep learning curve" is a term people have been using bass ackwards forever. Steep curve = easier. Shallow curve = more difficult.  Back me up here math guys).

Are the PFF rankings free? If not, how much?
Some rankings and articles are free. Basic player grades are free. There is Edge ($40/year) and Elite ($200/year). I don’t have either so I can’t comment beyond that.

Not a math guy but I believe the steep = difficult comes from being expected to learn a lot in a short time. I don’t know though.

Some rankings and articles are free. Basic player grades are free. There is Edge ($40/year) and Elite ($200/year). I don’t have either so I can’t comment beyond that.

Not a math guy but I believe the steep = difficult comes from being expected to learn a lot in a short time. I don’t know though.
The mistake is interpreting steep as difficult. A steep curves demonstrates successfully accomplishing a lot in a short period (I.e. getting from A to B faster). If the curve is shallow it shows that it took longer to get to the same place.

It's a visual processing error. Our brains view steep lines and think how hard it would be to climb that hill (like on a stairmaster/treadmill etc) but a graph isn't an actual hill (or stairmaster etc).

Successful derailing initiated.

I would like to improve my OL cohesion spreadsheet as much as possible. I will look into the PFF data.

Which is also their biggest flaw IMO. There is no question in my mind that they look at a lot of players through an already predetermined lens and evaluate them subconsciously a bit higher or lower because of it. There are numerous times where I'll see their grading of a Bills player after a game and it seem way off after watching the same game. And I know it's not just me because there are a few really football smart Buffalo beat reporters that do weekly grades on players and their grades in those situations are usually closer to mine than PFF's.
Well, I assume you aren't able to watch every play for every player when you watch a game. If not, then it is perfectly reasonable for their grades and your impressions from watching the game to differ.

Per the article I linked above on their grading system, they have three different analysts grade every player on every play, and then they review the grades with a network of over 700 former and current NFL coaches before finalizing the grades. The three analysts are not just football fans or beat writers. They are people who are paid to grade football plays for a living, so in theory they should be good at it.

So for bias to consistently influence the grading, it would have to be a bias shared by all three analysts that grade each play. For such bias to persist for players or teams for an entire season or even further means the bias would have to be shared by their entire pool of analysts and consistently survive peer reviews. This seems pretty unlikely.

Cris Collinsworth owns PFF and there is a lot of interesting info in this article: 'We’re like a machine': Cris Collinsworth defends PFF grades against players' gripes

A couple interesting things from that article:

1. Chip Kelly was a vocal critic. Then he visited PFF and reviewed their methodology. Then he bought into the company.
  2. Bengals OL coach Paul Alexander once reviewed 600 plays within which his players had been marked down. He disagreed with "about 12" of them... meaning he agreed with 98% of them. Alexander was the longest tenured OL coach in the NFL at the time of the article.
I'm not saying they are perfect. No one is perfect, and no system is perfect. But it seems like a thorough and credible system that will yield good results. :shrug:  

There are a lot of different things that happen on each play. For example when charting RB I have 15 different traits that I am looking for and assigning a grade to on each play.

The explanation doesn't talk about different skills or traits of the players in their grades. I guess I would like to see this unpacked a bit more. What are the different things a player does on each play that they are evaluating? How do all of these different things get graded and bundled up into their score?
From this SI article:

The current play is a mere three-yard run by the Giants’ Andre Williams, but Elsayed’s stat sheet requires that he chart more than two dozen pieces of information.

On his first run-through, he fills in the blanks: Trick look? No. Trick play? No. Was a time out called? No. No-Huddle? No. Spot? L, for the left hash mark. Shotgun? Check. Run position? ML, for middle left of the offensive line. The runner doesn’t change course, but if he had, Elsayed would have recorded the intended point of attack and what initiated the change: F (forced by defense) or V (voluntary). Yards after contact? Two. Who made first contact? No. 31. Run concept? C, a designed cutback.

“One of the things that one NFL team wants us to collect is if a defender is blocked before he makes contact,” Elsayed says. “There are lots of little bits of information that might seem very useless. But NFL teams just love them, and think they’re indicative of performance.”

Where the ball is spotted is another piece of requested information so teams can track tendencies. There’s a different set of blanks to fill in on passing plays, including drop-back depth, time to throw, time to pressure, pass position, and turn of center—there are also checkboxes for screens, play-action, pump fakes, shotgun and pistol.

Elsayed then rewinds the play so he can grade the offensive linemen, giving “statistics” to a position group that is generally bereft of analytical measures. He notices right away that the left guard, rookie Weston Richburg, has done a nice job. Richburg seals off defensive end Jason Jenkins, who is trying to work inside toward the ‘A’ gap. He gets a positive grade. Two of his linemates don’t fare as well. Center J.D. Walton tries to attack a linebacker at the second level but whiffs, and right guard John Jerry allows a defender to squeeze his gap. Both get a negative grade on the play. 

The idea is to provide a picture of how players are performing, especially when other statistics are either unavailable or misleading. An NFL fan since 1982, when the U.K.’s Channel 4 first showed American football highlights, Hornsby used to read Paul Zimmerman’s evaluations of players in Sports Illustrated that were based on film study. It inspired him to do it for every game. Hornsby’s staff works off a 106-page grading rubric; the guidelines include a 71-word definition for a “wham block” and three specific ways that an offensive lineman can receive a positive grade when double-teaming a defender.

When in doubt, Elsayed will flag plays for further review when the All-22 coaches’ film becomes available. “Am I being generous?” he writes after assigning a +1 grade to Eli Manning on a touchdown pass to Larry Donnell. It was a good throw, but the cornerback made the quarterback’s job easier by hesitating in coverage. On a 20-yard touchdown run by Alfred Morris, safety Antrel Rolle is only seen on the TV broadcast at the end of the play, trailing Morris. “One of the problems is, you can’t just go straight over the top—he’s got to defend the cutback,” Elsayed says. “But I need a different angle to see that. Another analyst might decide, when he looks at the All-22, that he was slow over the top. No grade for Rolle right now.”
That article is from 2015, so the methodology might have advanced further at this point.

The Jaguars signed Andrew Norwell to a big free agent contract, presumably without knowing the Panthers' blocking assignments in the tape that they watched of him. I expect that knowing all the play calls would've helped them a bit in making an accurate evaluation, but they still managed pretty well without that info.

A couple interesting things from that article:

1. Chip Kelly was a vocal critic. Then he visited PFF and reviewed their methodology. Then he bought into the company.
  2. Bengals OL coach Paul Alexander once reviewed 600 plays within which his players had been marked down. He disagreed with "about 12" of them... meaning he agreed with 98% of them. Alexander was the longest tenured OL coach in the NFL at the time of the article.
Those are good points.

ZWK said:
The Jaguars signed Andrew Norwell to a big free agent contract, presumably without knowing the Panthers' blocking assignments in the tape that they watched of him. I expect that knowing all the play calls would've helped them a bit in making an accurate evaluation, but they still managed pretty well without that info.
That does not feel like a well considered commentary.

Offensive line rankings are a tool for making fantasy decisions so my value in O-line rankings is the final questions I want answered which are:

How does the offensive line affect the fantasy production of positions, 1, 2, 3, and does the level of play seriously impact players, X, Y, Z, of positions 1, 2, 3?

We all geek out on numbers in which we are emotionally invested in.

Right now, O-Line rankings don't provide an emotional payout. 

Demonstrable evidence of O-Line ranking affecting positions 1 and player X would bring out the hyper focused fantasy geeks in droves.

If You Build It, They Will Come

this is the million dollar question. 

Without context the offensive line rankings are not useful

however last season we published an article called Trench Matchups. It took my offensive line rankings (the best btw, better than all these other rankings, not joking) and Justis Mosqueda's defensive front seven rankings (also excellent) and cross-referenced to find weekly matchups. 

an example from week 15 below 

week15OL_matchups.PNG

week15DEF_matchups.PNG

this is the million dollar question. 

Without context the offensive line rankings are not useful

however last season we published an article called Trench Matchups. It took my offensive line rankings (the best btw, better than all these other rankings, not joking) and Justis Mosqueda's defensive front seven rankings (also excellent) and cross-referenced to find weekly matchups. 

an example from week 15 below 

View attachment 2875

View attachment 2876
What makes your rankings the best?

Borden said:
What makes your rankings the best?
TBH i don't even follow the other rankings, So I don't really know if mine are really the best. I don't want to cloud my thinking with other people's work.  

Here's why I think mine are awesome:

-it's updated every week before every regular season game to reflect injuries, that's a ton of work. Many of these rankings come out once a year or quarterly. What's the good of having an OL ranking from August if 2 of the 5 starters are hurt this week? 

-the model is built differently than others. I go into the methodology in the offensive line thread. But it's not based on sacks given up or offensive output or anything which could involve QB play. It's based on the talent of the line and how much they have played together (cohesion)

-I watch every snap of every game during the regular season and we've been refining the process each year since these rankings started at FBG in 2013.  

Users who are viewing this thread