What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2018 OFFENSE/DEFENSE CONTEST WEEK 1 (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
Hi Folks, my apologies for not starting up the thread.  As with other recent season unless someone wants to step forward I was hoping we could do this contest on the honor system (i.e. we self-score and make sure we don't repeat/screw up).  But I can try to at least keep up the threads.

Same simples rules as always.  You pick one offense each week and one defense each week.  Your score is the points scored by the team you chose for offense minus the points allowed by the team you chose for defense.  You CAN choose the same team for both offense and defense in the same week if you want.  You CANNOT choose any offense or defense more than once over the course of the season.  Last year was the first time I was any good if I recall.  Usually I am turrible.

Anyway I'll start things off:

Week 1 offense: Baltimore

Week 1 defense: Baltimore

:boxing:

-QG

YESSSSSS!!!  Been waiting for this!  Would be nice if we could get a bunch more people committed to playing each week. 

Offense:  Saints
Defense:  Ravens

@Arodin you gonna return as our all-star stats keeper again????

:headbang:

Fantastic to see this is back. I'm every bit as bad at this as QG but who cares?

Off: IND

Def: BAL

Also - a thought from last year that just popped back into my head ... @QuizGuy66, how about you use a random number generator to pick a random O and D each week as an entry? Subject to the same rules, of course (if the RNG spits out a team already used or on bye, have it pick again). I'm happy to do it if you don't feel like it, but as the Godfather of the ODC I figured you deserve the honor.

I'm genuinely curious how many of us are better at this than a figurative dart-throwing monkey. I suspect I'll in the "not so much" group myself.

Yay, this contest is always a fun one.  I will happily keep the stats once again.

Competing against a random squad could be fun...if Mr. Irrelevant wants to submit an “RNG entry” each week along with his actual picks I will include it in the tracking.

Last year I briefly tried tracking an “optimal selection” for us to compete against but we all did embarassingly poorly compared to it so I stopped calculating it around week 5.

For my picks:

Off: New Orleans

Def:  Baltimore

Okay we'll have not 1 but TWO randoms courtesy excel.

Method 1 I took all the teams gave 'em a random number and sorted in ascending order.  Miraculously dodged byes.  Yes I did offense and defense separately :)

Method 1:

Week 1 Offense:  Chicago

Week 1 Defense: Um....Green Bay

:lmao:

So then I did a 2nd method where I filled up the schedule as I went along and drawing teams - if the team was already taken or on bye I redrew.  I F9'd 10 times when I had to redraw.

Anyway

Method 2:

Week 1 Offense: Cincinnati

Week 1 Defense: Washington

-QG

Okay we'll have not 1 but TWO randoms courtesy excel.

Method 1 I took all the teams gave 'em a random number and sorted in ascending order.  Miraculously dodged byes.  Yes I did offense and defense separately :)

Method 1:

Week 1 Offense:  Chicago

Week 1 Defense: Um....Green Bay

:lmao:

So then I did a 2nd method where I filled up the schedule as I went along and drawing teams - if the team was already taken or on bye I redrew.  I F9'd 10 times when I had to redraw.

Anyway

Method 2:

Week 1 Offense: Cincinnati

Week 1 Defense: Washington

-QG
Interesting.  Will you be entering both into the contest?  Looks like entry 1 already gets a 0 for the week.

I forgot about this contest, butI will give it a shot with what's still available.

Offense: Rams

Defense: Lions

QuizGuy66 fittingly takes the lead spot in the initial rankings of his famous contest.  Huge logjam at 2nd, owing to a very popular "chalk" pick.  Only two entrants in negative scores, one in part due to having only two games to choose from.  16 participants, plus the two random entries. 

Week 1 Standings:

44  QuizGuy66

37  Deamon
37  Genester
37  Riffraff
37  Arodin
37  cdwood
37  Pip's Invitation
37  Obie Wan

28  RND2
20  Mr. Irrelevant
14  -OZ-
6  Dr. Octopus
5  Snorkelson
4  Franknbeans
4  kutta
0  RND1
-15  solorca
-20  BigSteelThrill

QuizGuy66 fittingly takes the lead spot in the initial rankings of his famous contest.  Huge logjam at 2nd, owing to a very popular "chalk" pick.  Only two entrants in negative scores, one in part due to having only two games to choose from.  16 participants, plus the two random entries. 

Week 1 Standings:

44  QuizGuy66

37  Deamon
37  Genester
37  Riffraff
37  Arodin
37  cdwood
37  Pip's Invitation
37  Obie Wan

28  RND2
20  Mr. Irrelevant
14  -OZ-