What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you handle Winston/Fitz ROY? (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
How do you manage Fitzpatrick and Winston the rest of the year?  Easy target for some snarky comments, I know - but you’ve got an offense where either of these guys can put up weekly top 3 numbers dependent upon which is starting, but simultaneously could also get pulled for the other in the first quarter of any game.

Any ideas moving forward?

If you have Fitz (or both), and another good QB, then trade him/them now for an upgrade elsewhere.

If you have Fitz but not another good QB, then you start him and pray.

Having only Winston, I'm debating whether to hold or bail. 

Full disclosure, I missed out on Fitz on the waiver by one spot, and the guy that landed him has the same record and 0.7 fewer points, where waiver order resets every week.  Ugh.  :ptts:

Fitz was spectacular for the first two games then had a mediocre game against the Steelers. 

Winston had a good Atlanta game but then was awful against the Browns and the Bengals.

They both stunk against the Bears who are one of the better defenses in the league.

The team seemed to rally around Fitz, I think you stick with him at this point unless he has a complete meltdown.

Just trying to read the tea leaves.  It makes no sense to keep benching a guy for throwing INT's when the alternative will only come in and throw INT's.  I think benching Jameis is symbolic.  Off the field, the kid is a nightmare.  You hope that he proves to be an elite talent, and so you put up with it.  He's thrown like 10 int's now?  Jameis won't be their long term guy.  And I think they'll let Fitz ride out the season.  

That said:

1.  Who else do you have?

The QB position is as deep as it's been.  If you've got Flacco/Bortles/Eli, then maybe this is worth a look.  If you've got a reliable QB1--probably not worth the headache.  If you're going to grab 1, I'd grab Fitz obviously.  But don't focus on locking down this position because the TBQB is a top 3 QB when you've already got a top 10 spot.  Holding 2 QB's you can't rely on will water down your depth.

2.  Don't forget the story of Fitzmagic.  He did it to us again this season.  Set the world on fire.  Then came crashing down.  Winston has shown a propensity to throw INT's.  There's potentially value there.  There's also potentially a 3-4 INT game and negative points.  

3.  Trading QB's isn't a thing this year.  Not on the regular anyways.  If you get Fitz and he has 2-3 good games--someone else isn't likely to give you a position player for him.  You can't rely on him and trade away your QB1.

Lol. The offense has been a goldmine. Ride Fitzpatrick until the wheels fall off. 

In our league scoring - which rewards completions as well as TDs and yardage and penalizes incompletions, INTs, sacks, and sack yardage - the Winston/Fitz combo is the best QB in the league and it’s not close.  Of course, the problem is that only one can be submitted to start.

In our league scoring - which rewards completions as well as TDs and yardage and penalizes incompletions, INTs, sacks, and sack yardage - the Winston/Fitz combo is the best QB in the league and it’s not close.  Of course, the problem is that only one can be submitted to start.
For sure and you should have a backup plan but I’m starting fitz. You don’t bench your young qb unless it’s permanent imo. Fitz might play himself out of the job but it will take a few weeks. The only question is if you grab Winston as well. Depends on your roster sizes and who’s on waivers. Hard to give advice on that.

If Winston is your starter and there are no viable options on the waiver wire, then you need to do whatever you can to get Fitz and keep both QBs.

If you only have Winston as a backup, then there's not much risk involved with dropping him for Fitz.

Starting him this week as a bye-week fill-in for Luck. If he plays well, I'll see if I can get anything for him in a trade. If he doesn't, I"ll drop him like he's hot.

Starting over Ben.  My only fear is he throws 4 picks first half and gets pulled.
The coaching staff cannot possible play any more musical chairs, otherwise they'll all be laughing stocks. Winston got his crack, he done in TB! FitzMagic is what the heck start him unless you have a top 5 QB this week. He will air it out. And he does have the weapons to go get it. START

Winston lacks QB awareness and QB IQ to be successful at the highest. Talent, yes. Decision making, not so much.

2.  Don't forget the story of Fitzmagic.  He did it to us again this season.  Set the world on fire.  Then came crashing down.  Winston has shown a propensity to throw INT's.  
Fitz has played really well and decent.  His "crashing down" was against a top notch (at the time) Bears defense that put tremendous pressure on him.  He had no time to do anything and it cost him.  Winston faired no better in that game.  He never got a shot to come crashing down.

The team seems to rally around Fitz and he doesn't mind letting his WR's make plays and gives them a shot to do so.  He has the talent around him to succeed as a fantasy guy.  The only risk is the coaching staff thinking Winston will do better and pulling him mid game.  As long as that doesn't happen Fitz will put up solid fantasy numbers. 

Just trying to read the tea leaves.  It makes no sense to keep benching a guy for throwing INT's when the alternative will only come in and throw INT's.  I think benching Jameis is symbolic.  Off the field, the kid is a nightmare.  You hope that he proves to be an elite talent, and so you put up with it.  He's thrown like 10 int's now?  Jameis won't be their long term guy.  And I think they'll let Fitz ride out the season.  
This is a difficult tea leaves situation to read for a myriad of reasons. Winston has certainly made enough mistakes on and off the field for the team to move on permanently. What complicates that is his contractual situation where TB is on the hook for a lot of money if he plays again this year and gets hurt. If you’re TB and you’ve made the call to move on then you really can’t play Winston again. And if you can’t play Winston again why not trade him before the deadline where, despite his issues, he could absolutely command a return?

To me the fact that TB didn’t trade Jameis is a small hint that the team is at least open to giving him another chance. Licht is tied to Winston as the GM who drafted him and Dirk would have never become coach if it wasn’t for Jameis’s endorsement. Both guys seem to have an unnaturally high level of attachment and loyalty to Jameis Winston. If you’re pinning your hopes on Fitzmagic rest of season I really think you need to factor that history in.

Sunday will give us another key data point. If Jameis is a surprise inactive then Fitz’s rest of season value increases significantly. 

Fitz has played really well and decent.  His "crashing down" was against a top notch (at the time) Bears defense that put tremendous pressure on him.  He had no time to do anything and it cost him.  Winston faired no better in that game.  He never got a shot to come crashing down.

The team seems to rally around Fitz and he doesn't mind letting his WR's make plays and gives them a shot to do so.  He has the talent around him to succeed as a fantasy guy.  The only risk is the coaching staff thinking Winston will do better and pulling him mid game.  As long as that doesn't happen Fitz will put up solid fantasy numbers. 
Exactly.  Who are players more likely to rally around, a QB giving WRs lots of chances to make big plays or a QB who eats W's which is actually his hand?

Fitz was spectacular for the first two games then had a mediocre game against the Steelers. 

Winston had a good Atlanta game but then was awful against the Browns and the Bengals.

They both stunk against the Bears who are one of the better defenses in the league.

The team seemed to rally around Fitz, I think you stick with him at this point unless he has a complete meltdown.
I think it is clear that most of the offesnive players want Fitz to play and genuinely seem to love the guy. Turning away from him again would really cause dissention in that locker room. Unless Fitz does a faceplant he should be ok. The bigger thing I am worried about right now is the health of Mike Evans.

How do you manage Fitzpatrick and Winston the rest of the year?  Easy target for some snarky comments, I know - but you’ve got an offense where either of these guys can put up weekly top 3 numbers dependent upon which is starting, but simultaneously could also get pulled for the other in the first quarter of any game.

Any ideas moving forward?

I think its important to realize (after any B.S. that may come out) that the TB QB is a key to fantasy points.

As you may know, I was a big proponent of Jameis Winston, and  I correctly predicted that he would get the job back over Fitz. (In the Jameis threads AND the Fitz thread)

Well he did, but that didn't mean he would be successful.  :wall:

Those "W eatings"  (google that one, I saw it firsthand on Hard Knocks LOL)  didn't equate to long term team support and wins.  Truth be known, I'm still a believer in him being a good fantasy QB, but at this point it would be silly to think he is anything but a real-life "mediocre QB" which at times looks horrendous....but at times can be just epic for fantasy. That doesn't cut it in the real world NFL arena.

Now we come to the Fitzmagic . 

Exactly how strong will he be?   I'm actually forecasting more of the same.  Some HUGE performances, with some picks and "turn your head away and cringe" moments chucked in.

Regardless of how any of us view it, now is NOT THE TIME to put Winston back in. Playing QB shuffle just doesn't work, and alienates the owner, the fan base, the locker room and all around. Like a friend of mine said in a poker game this week..... "The way they are doing it, just won't work, stick with one"...............

Stick with Fitz.   Take your lumps, and move on, which seems what the organization is going to do.

In fantasy, give me Fitz , (and I have him in 3 spots/and Wilson in 2 of those) and lets see what happens.

The defense is a joke, and everything should be a bunch of offensive points all around.

This will be interesting.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Winston for Fitz. Like others have said, the team and the city both seemed to embrace him. He had Tampa eating him up.

Combine that with Winston getting paid IF he gets hurt and I think the writing is on the wall.......Fitz is the guy.

Team Smokin' said:
The coaching staff cannot possible play any more musical chairs, otherwise they'll all be laughing stocks.
Counterpoint: Hue Jackson did that last year in Cleveland, and it didn't hurt his reputation at all  :lol:

Let's just say I wouldn't be making any long-term plans around the Bucs' QB situation. Start Fitz this week and for as long as he's producing, then drop him when he inevitably implodes.

I can't imagine any reason why you would hold on to Jameis in redraft.

I have Winston in a local league.  Guy playing me this week just bid 263 bidding dollars for Fitz(he already has Brees) & got him.  I had 262 bucks.  LOL.   I got Carr for $4.  We will see.

I dropped Winston. Fitz is sitting there & no one’s touching him. I’ll roll out Evans & if the matchup is right, OJ & hope for good Fitzmagic or Winston to show up.  :shrug:

Payne said:
I dropped Winston for Fitz. Like others have said, the team and the city both seemed to embrace him. He had Tampa eating him up.

Combine that with Winston getting paid IF he gets hurt and I think the writing is on the wall.......Fitz is the guy.
Fitz will have good games and terrible games (see: 1st 4 of the season) 

he will male head-scratchingly bad decisions under pressure, and he’s not a young dude playing behind a shaky line.

if he makes it through 5 games without getting hurt or benched I’ll be amazed. 

Yes, you'll get 1-2 picks most games but you're also almost guaranteed to get 350+ yds passing and 2+ TDs.  Why would anyone leave that production on the wire?

Per Lord Reebs - in the five games that a Bucs quarterback has played a full game, they’ve produced five top-10 scoring weeks...

I'm rolling him out and not thinking twice. 

I would avoid...

-1) Neither can be trusted to finish a game (quick hook)

-2) If your league penalizes for INTs... strike two.

Coaching staff has already botched this by going back to Winston too quick. Now it looks like wing and a prayer, flip flop game-by-game.

Who knows, they might ultimately decide that they need to force a 60/40 run tilt to avoid turnovers and fantasy value drops for both. I think the best performances for these QBs is already behind them for 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread