What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Homer Team, Who Have They Played, How Do You Feel? (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
So I figured the 5 week mark is a good time for an assessment on where your homer team sits and maybe their prospects going forward.

Kansas City Chiefs (4-1)

Lions (loss)
at Jaguars (win)
Bears (win)
at Jets (win)
at Vikings (win)

When I first looked at this schedule I thought 4-1 coming out of this stretch would feel about right. I just wasn't sure how they would get there. The Chiefs look like their normal early season selves - not firing on all cylinders but somehow win games. Some basic thoughts:

1. The defense is much better - surely the best defense Mahomes has had in his career.

2. The wide receivers are not good. Yet. Mahomes has had time to throw on his initial reads but they can't get seperation. At all.

3. Kelce slow to get going after his knee injury and this ankle injury isn't going to help. But hopefully he can shake it off and start playing like his normal self. He needs the receivers to step up though or its gonna be a long season for him.

4. Looks to me like Reid is letting Nagy call plays to start the games, much like he did with Bienenemy. But as we all know, Nagy is a bit of a disaster. You can always tell when Reid takes over play calling in a game that is going to hell.

As the season moves on I think the offense will start to settle in more. This is not uncommon here the last few years. This team always seems to start getting better and better as we move toward playoff time.

My early season assessment is similar to years past: I don't think they are really all that good of a team right now, other than the fact they have the will to win and don't ever really panic. They know the regular season is a journey and they always work to get better.

Both Mahomes and Kelce have had some injury dings already, so that is concerning. But as with any NFL team, if they are healthy they have a chance to go to the Super Bowl with their talent and experience.

Patriots (1-4)

Eagles (L)
Dolphins (L)
@ NYJ (W)
@ Cowboys (L)
Saints (L)

Grim. Defense (which was their main upside) suffered some big injuries (Judon and Gonzo). Their offense is terrible all the way down. From the o-line to the receivers, to quarterback. There needs to be a hard reset. Bill should be relieved of his GM duties (should've been 5-ish years ago IMO).

Played as well as expected, even better now with a key addition on defense in Javon Hargrave, Brock Purdy playing lights out, and CMC with a full offseason with the 49ers. Granted they have an easy strength of schedule, but the win last night against the Cowboys defense was dominant in all three phases of the team - offense, defense, and special teams. The four previous games were against teams with challenged offenses and defenses, last night's game truly established what to expect going forward, what they are capable of, and should be 8-0 going into the bye week, with the next three games against Cleveland, Minnesota, and Cincinatti.

They just have to keep Purdy healthy. Which given the past few seasons is not a hard question to ask.

I had very low expectations for my Rams this year. The bill came due for our all in SB push and I was fine with a rebuild year. But they have surprisingly been competitive in every game despite a tough schedule. They’re 2-3 but I’m happy with it.

I had very low expectations for my Rams this year. The bill came due for our all in SB push and I was fine with a rebuild year. But they have surprisingly been competitive in every game despite a tough schedule. They’re 2-3 but I’m happy with it.
Yeah, that team is playing hard and are a surprise to me. The Super Bowl was worth it of course. But nice to see them rebound a little quicker than I expected. Will be interesting to see how they navigate the end of the Stafford era.

No Home Team (anymore). :sadbanana:

San Diego restaurant offers free “Spanos Tacos” after Chargers loss. One ex-Chargers fan (and restaurant owner) will give out free tacos after every Chargers loss. Hear why Victor Lopez, owner of El Pollo Grill, decided to start the “Spanos Tacos” campaign.

:moneybag:

@Sea, SF, @Cin, @Ind, PHI is straight up nasty to start the year. Coming out 2-3 is solid. With Kupp looking spry they look like a wildcard team to me.

Detroit Lions (4-1)

America's darling. This is very strange for all Lions fans. We're not used to owners who change the culture, general managers who know who to draft, head coaches who inspire everyone within the sound of their voice. We don't....actually know.....how fans of winners are supposed to act. Because we've basically never been one.

IDK, probably cannot speak for everyone, but personally one of my favorite aspects of this team is they have an undertone of humility. Maybe that comes from being 3-13-1 two years ago, or starting 1-6 last year, but their swagger is kind of confined to hyping each other up. It's tough to win a game in the NFL. If you ever come into a week thinking it's going to be a cakewalk, you'll get your hat handed to you.

Anyway, won road games at KC (first NFC team to beat Mahomes at home) and Green Bay. Lost, painfully, to Seattle, but they played better. Beat Atlanta and Carolina at home. Those last two are games you are supposed to win.

Offense has scored 20 or more points in 14 straight games, defense is 3rd in DVOA. They are well coached, talented, have depth. The latter is being tested (15 guys have missed time, including 6-7 starters), but nobody cares. That is life in the NFL, your backup outside LB or 7th OL or dime back is where you really find out how good you are. Play with what you got and don't make excuses.

I like the trajectory but we are not a complete team, not by a long, long ways. But it's a work in progress and I expect them to keep getting better. I don't really care if Jamo or Gibbs are a flop in September/October, the only thing that matters is if they are making plays in January/February. Detroit can hang with anyone. Will they do what the franchise has never done? Well, we're all going to find out together.

Bills 3-2
Jets L
Commanders W
Raiders W
Dolphins W
Jaguars L

I still think the Bills are going to be in the running to win the East, mainly because they match up well with Miami and have a chance to sweep them. But making the Super Bowl seems like a dream.

KC will once again steamroll a weak AFC West and can win the one seed even with losses to the other top AFC teams. That advantage is too big to overcome for teams that are close in talent and I don’t see another AFC team making the Super Bowl.

On offence they are lacking something. When they start slow they take too long to get in gear and sometimes can’t ever get it going. It feels to me like that is an Allen problem (mental) but the coaches are also responsible. There is a reason Diggs gets mad….he doesn’t see the same fire from his QB that he has (my opinion).

Their defence is impressive, but losing CB1 last week, followed by All-Pro Milano is tough. D Jones was also near the top of all DTs in pressure and a fantastic run stopper, a 3rd brutal loss to the defence in two weeks 😕

11-12 wins are what I see.

So I figured the 5 week mark is a good time for an assessment on where your homer team sits and maybe their prospects going forward.

Kansas City Chiefs (4-1)

Lions (loss)
at Jaguars (win)
Bears (win)
at Jets (win)
at Vikings (win)

When I first looked at this schedule I thought 4-1 coming out of this stretch would feel about right. I just wasn't sure how they would get there. The Chiefs look like their normal early season selves - not firing on all cylinders but somehow win games. Some basic thoughts:

1. The defense is much better - surely the best defense Mahomes has had in his career.

2. The wide receivers are not good. Yet. Mahomes has had time to throw on his initial reads but they can't get seperation. At all.

3. Kelce slow to get going after his knee injury and this ankle injury isn't going to help. But hopefully he can shake it off and start playing like his normal self. He needs the receivers to step up though or its gonna be a long season for him.

4. Looks to me like Reid is letting Nagy call plays to start the games, much like he did with Bienenemy. But as we all know, Nagy is a bit of a disaster. You can always tell when Reid takes over play calling in a game that is going to hell.

As the season moves on I think the offense will start to settle in more. This is not uncommon here the last few years. This team always seems to start getting better and better as we move toward playoff time.

My early season assessment is similar to years past: I don't think they are really all that good of a team right now, other than the fact they have the will to win and don't ever really panic. They know the regular season is a journey and they always work to get better.

Both Mahomes and Kelce have had some injury dings already, so that is concerning. But as with any NFL team, if they are healthy they have a chance to go to the Super Bowl with their talent and experience.
Pretty hard for any non KC fans to give a **** about us just going through the motions to 4-1 start after 2 SB titles and all the other success we've had. Defense is playing well. At some point, somebody will step up at WR. Just seems inevitable. Ready for another sleepwalking victory this Thursday against the beloved Broncos. I do think that SF and Philly and probably Detroit, luckily all NFC, are all better than KC. Not sure where we stand amongst Buffalo/Miami/etc at this point.

Detroit Lions (4-1)

America's darling. This is very strange for all Lions fans. We're not used to owners who change the culture, general managers who know who to draft, head coaches who inspire everyone within the sound of their voice. We don't....actually know.....how fans of winners are supposed to act. Because we've basically never been one.

IDK, probably cannot speak for everyone, but personally one of my favorite aspects of this team is they have an undertone of humility. Maybe that comes from being 3-13-1 two years ago, or starting 1-6 last year, but their swagger is kind of confined to hyping each other up. It's tough to win a game in the NFL. If you ever come into a week thinking it's going to be a cakewalk, you'll get your hat handed to you.

Anyway, won road games at KC (first NFC team to beat Mahomes at home) and Green Bay. Lost, painfully, to Seattle, but they played better. Beat Atlanta and Carolina at home. Those last two are games you are supposed to win.

Offense has scored 20 or more points in 14 straight games, defense is 3rd in DVOA. They are well coached, talented, have depth. The latter is being tested (15 guys have missed time, including 6-7 starters), but nobody cares. That is life in the NFL, your backup outside LB or 7th OL or dime back is where you really find out how good you are. Play with what you got and don't make excuses.

I like the trajectory but we are not a complete team, not by a long, long ways. But it's a work in progress and I expect them to keep getting better. I don't really care if Jamo or Gibbs are a flop in September/October, the only thing that matters is if they are making plays in January/February. Detroit can hang with anyone. Will they do what the franchise has never done? Well, we're all going to find out together.
What I love most about your team is Goff. This guy was basically a throw-in for the Stafford trade and he is the PERFECT guy to play for this team and city. Total underdog story and he is being utilized the way he should have been. And just represents the whole blue-collar Detroit mentality. And the coach embodies that as well.

The perfect team for the perfect time for Detroit and their fans. Love that team.

Detroit Lions (4-1)

What I love most about your team is Goff. This guy was basically a throw-in for the Stafford trade and he is the PERFECT guy to play for this team and city. Total underdog story and he is being utilized the way he should have been. And just represents the whole blue-collar Detroit mentality. And the coach embodies that as well.

The perfect team for the perfect time for Detroit and their fans. Love that team.

Thanks.

We feel the same.

Detroit VS Everybody

Niners fan here. Couldn't be happier. They look like a team of destiny. Long season to play but they made the #1 defense look like a peewee team, while containing a pretty good Cowboys offense.

And it's been that way all season - score 30, dominate defensively.

I have no complaints other than our secondary is still burnable, as evidenced by the deep shot on SNF for the Cowboys lone TD. And Lenoir talks too much for arguably our worst defensive player. They also have some age concerns in the defensive secondary, so I'd like to see them mix in Ji'Ayir Brown a little more to keep Gipson fresh.

Randy Gregory was an interesting signing, though I'm not sure he was a big need. Also not sure if he has anything left to contribute, but he was almost free so why not.

But yeah - hard to complain as a 49ers fan. They're rolling.

Detroit VS Everybody
They have 1 team to really worry about IMO.
:whistle:

But I love what they're doing this year. They have some holes but a very, very bright future.

It’s not really a comp yet. IDK about NFL Power Rankings but I don’t think Detroit is better than 4th [in the NFC.] Maybe 3rd due to recency bias.

We’re winning games while not playing our best. They’re not getting lucky but just playing hard and overcoming adversity. But we have a lot to clean up before we can beat DAL, PHI or SF on the road.

They have accomplished literally nothing. Lose at TB & BAL, they’d be 4-3 and in our traditional 9-10 win team that loses in the first round.

I think this team is different but talk is cheap. If you want respect, earn it.

edit [3 important words]

Last edited:
They'd do but only if they could sell him for a swap of sixth and seventh picks and NOT A PENNY MORE!!!
$100 under the table to Mark D would go a long way towards greasing the wheels I’d bet.

Those tracksuits don’t pay for themselves you know.

San Fran

Beaten everyone on the schedule.

Prospects going forward....score 30+ points each week and make those stupid Dolphin guys go thirsty. Watch everyone else play for runner up.

This all assumes the best player in the league stays healthy.

Bucs (3-1)

Won: @ Vikings, Bears, and @ Saints
Lost: Eagles

Prior to the season, I said many times that I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bucs won their division, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up with a top 3 pick.

These were my main 3 question marks going into the season:

1. Offensive line

There were several questions about our line going into the season, but my biggest concern was Luke Goedeke. Last year at LG he was completely awful. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever seen a worse starting NFL lineman than how he played last year. And this year he’s our starting RT. But I have to say, the jump he has made from year one to year two is incredible. He’s having a very good year so far.

2. Todd Bowles

I couldn’t stand how conservative Bowles was last year. There would be multiple times last year he’d punt on 4th and 2 from the opponents 38 yard line. That drove me crazy. And that was with Tom Brady at QB. So with Baker, I’d be afraid he’d be even more conservative. But I was so excited to see the Bucs go for it on 4th and 1 from their own 32 yard line against the Vikings week one. Maybe Bowles was extra conservative last year because he had no confidence in Byron Leftwich (which would be understandable). Dave Canales hasn’t been perfect as OC (the safety vs the Eagles for example), but his offense is light years ahead of Leftwich’s.

3. Secondary Depth

We have two solid starting corners in Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean, but not much behind them. At least so I thought. Zyon McCollum is another player that has made a huge jump in his second season. He’s actually been the Bucs best CB through 4 games, and Dee Delaney has been decent.

Of course, Baker was a question mark too, but I was less concerned about him as I was the 3 concerns I listed above. I figured his success would come down to how well the line plays, and so far he’s been given time, and has also shown great mobility to escape pressure. He’s done a great job of executing Canales’ offense so far, while also limiting turnovers.

As far as the rest of the season, I think the Bucs winning the NFC South is very realistic. So that means at least one home playoff game, and depending on how healthy the Bucs are down the stretch, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them win a playoff game or two. They’re not in the same class as San Fran or Philly, but I think they can compete with anyone else in the NFC.

I think the Bucs will continue to open some eyes this week against Detroit.

do think that SF and Philly and probably Detroit, luckily all NFC, are all better than KC.
It’s fun that while the AFC was lauded as the Clearly superior conference all off season, but many of us finally recognize that the 3 best teams are all NFC.
I like the thought, but not sure I agree. Philly and SF look like the two best, but after that it's a mixed bag of Detroit, KC, Miami, with Buffalo and Jags as honorable mentions. Too soon to discount Dallas....they'll come up big in games as well as lay eggs, just in their DNA.
In the end not sure either conference is clearly stronger/weaker right now

Detroit Lions (4-1)

Thanks.

We feel the same.

Detroit VS Everybody
Gotta be honest. If my team stumbles, the Lions are the team I wanna root for come February

Niners fan here. Couldn't be happier. They look like a team of destiny. Long season to play but they made the #1 defense look like a peewee team, while containing a pretty good Cowboys offense.

And it's been that way all season - score 30, dominate defensively.

I have no complaints other than our secondary is still burnable, as evidenced by the deep shot on SNF for the Cowboys lone TD. And Lenoir talks too much for arguably our worst defensive player. They also have some age concerns in the defensive secondary, so I'd like to see them mix in Ji'Ayir Brown a little more to keep Gipson fresh.

Randy Gregory was an interesting signing, though I'm not sure he was a big need. Also not sure if he has anything left to contribute, but he was almost free so why not.

But yeah - hard to complain as a 49ers fan. They're rolling.
Be careful taking too much from that Cowboys win. Cowboys lay an egg now and again, plus had a soft schedule to open with. Their defense, while still good, was significantly over-rated at #1. Bigger/better tests are ahead for SF (who I'd still call 1 or 2 in the NFL at this point)

Clearly happy overall as an Eagles fan. Replacing both the OC and the DC, and wondering how well Hurts could replicate an MVP caliber season left us wondering how good the team could be, especially early season. 5-0 is a heck of a start.
The offense looks a little inconsistent, like they haven't really been firing on all cylinders yet. Hurts has been good, but not as good as last year...his accuracy has been ok but not great. Yet with that said, they went into Sunday ahead of the 22' team in points/yards. The O-line is arguably the best in the game and they have multiple impact players at the skill positions.
The defensive line is beastly, but the secondary is suspect. Teams that can pass protect well have a real chance to expose this defense, but they'll dominate average lines/QBs. Luckily, they have the firepower on offense to win in a shootout when they need to, and then just need that D line to provide a couple big plays at some point in games.

Eagles look poised for another deep run. Lots of respect and even love for the Lions, but not sure they're ready for Philly or SanFran at this point. The niners are the only team that look to be in the same weight class at the moment. Can't wait for week 13. My gut says the game will mean more to Philly then the niners, as the schedule is absolutely brutal for Philly in late OCtober through November.

Some aren't impressed with Eagles wins right now, and that's fine. Week one is week one, and was on the road with New England still healthy. Tampa and LAR were both road wins against teams that have shown themselves to be better then expected, and the Vikings...well....that one shouldn't have been so close, but was still a W. The commanders while not good are a divsional opponent with a long history of giving the Eagles fits (they gave Philly their first loss mid season last year too)

Last edited:
Detroit Lions (4-1)

Thanks.

We feel the same.

Detroit VS Everybody
Gotta be honest. If my team stumbles, the Lions are the team I wanna root for come February

Bro, we are everyone's second favorite team. It's creeping us out.

I kid, I kid. We have been ignored for so long it's nice to see the franchise and the city get some good press for a change.

Dan Campbell is a big part of that. The first press conference, hard knocks, the run last year, winning the last game of the 2022 season on the road against our nemesis, opening this year by beating the SB Champs on banner night. Easy to understand why - Americans love an underdog story. Teams that have never won are easy to pull for bc it resonates with this fuzzy belief we have anything is possible.

They have likeable guys. They are a lot of hard working players who are generally pretty humble. Our biggest stars are a rejected QB, a WR nobody wanted, and an Edge nobody knew about coming out of high school. The heart and soul of the team is the offensive line, currently ranked the 2nd best in the league (little known fact - in 39 games under MCDC, all 5 have been healthy for exactly two starts.) The defense is actually legit - right now they are 3rd in DVOA, and after five games they have never been better than 8th since the stat began in 1981.

But we haven't won anything yet, we have accomplished nothing. One week at a time. Right now the focus is how to beat a good Bucs team in a tough environment. Week after that we play at the Ravens. Coming out of the bye we play at the Chargers Week 10. We still have 5 divisional games to play and we go to Dallas week 17. It is going to be a long slog getting there, but it's right there for them. They have the right coaches and the right players and the entire state is head over heels about them rn.

Gotta stay humble, lots of work to get done in the next 4 months.

One of my pastors, my old CEO (dear friend0, and my wife's best friend are all Eagles fans whose second favorite team is Detroit. My best friend is a Jets diehard, fellow sufferer who wants to see the Lions win. All of them text me on the regular to wish me luck before a game. I tell them thanks but I'm not rooting for your team except when they play Green Bay. FTP is not just an idiom, it's a way of life.

Jets (2-3)

Buffalo (W)
Dallas (L)
New England (L)
Kansas City (L)
Denver (W)

Offense

QB - We all know the deal there. Rodgers hurt, Zach Wilson in. Wilson has looked better these past two starts, but he's a lower-end backup in the league at this point. Good arm strength, revamped accuracy, lousy processor. Hurts the entire offense because teams don't respect the passing game and stack the box, creating problems for the running game.

RB - Maybe the best all-around back in the league this side of McCaffrey, Breece Hall showed everybody what he could do with enough touches when the Jets played Denver. Dalvin Cook is still getting his legs under him or is toast (depending on who you listen to), and Michael Carter is a serviceable third-down back. Israel Abanikanda is the fourth guy and is a healthy scratch most games. He's also talented, but will not get the call over Carter and Cook.

WR - Garrett Wilson could be all-world but the conservative gameplans plus Zach Wilson's ineptitude render him not as big a factor as he would be with Rodgers. Lazard is a serviceable WR2, though probably one of the lesser WR2s in the league. The rest of the receivers are forgettable. Mecole Hardman, signed as a free agent in the offseason, was a healthy scratch last week for all of you (all two of you) who were wondering where he is.

OL - Probably the weakest link on the team save for backup QB. They just lost their best guard/tackle, Alijah Vera-Tucker, for the year with an torn Achilles tendon. The line was already thin. Mekhi Becton is somehow hoping his way through games and the other pieces of the line besides Joe Tippmann, who has been playing guard instead of center, are suspect. The line will now likely include Tippmann, McGovern, Becton, and Duane Brown. A definite trouble spot.

Defense

The overall defense, while considered by most pundits to be very good, actually sat at 19th DVOA before the Denver game. I can't imagine it got too much better. An overrated unit, they give up big chunks in the running game and in the underneath passing game.

Defensive Line - A very good unit. Come at you seven deep. Second-year Jermaine Johnson and Bryce Huff lead the edge rushers, while super stellar defensive tackle Quinnen Williams shores up the middle.

Linebackers - Once thought a weakness of the team, but now a good unit, the base package features C.J. Mosley and Quincy Williams, Quinnen's brother, who is making a name for himself in his own right with inspired play. Just an overall good unit.

Secondary - Sauce and D.J. Reed highlight a unit that features two of the best corners in football. The safety crew, with Jordan Whitehead and Tony Adams plus Adrian Amos, is not bad but not great.

All in all, this year has been a huge disappointment with Rodgers's injury. Imagine almost any team being forced to adjust and play with their backup the rest of the way with NFL teams that have extensive film on the backup to exploit his weaknesses. That's what it's like for the Jets, only their backup is in the lower half of the backups in the NFL if we measure by quality of performance. The offense stinks, the defense is mediocre, and nothing has really gone to plan. That's the scoop, that's the drill.

Last edited:
Saints (3-2)

vs. Titans (W 16-15)
@ Panthers (W 20-17)
@ Packers (L 18-17)
vs. Bucs (L 26-9)
@ Patriots (W 34-0)

So who the heck are we? A team that struggles on offense that finally broke a double digit game streak of scoring <20 pts. Part of that is/was due to Carr's injury, a revolving door at RB the first couple weeks with Kamara suspended, Miller recovering from injury & being a rookie, Jamaal going down, Tony Jones filling a void for a game or two. It was definitely nice to see the ship being righted a bit at New England, although I can't feel good about that being a true improvement bc New England is just bad right now.

Saints defense has been semi-consistent, overall decent to good but not great. Granted, pitching a shutout in any NFL game is a rare feat so kudos to them for that, but this first stretch of the schedule hasn't exactly been a murderer's row of opponents. Next week vs. Houston might be their toughest test yet, as Stroud is playing extremely well and Demeco Ryans has that Houston defense shaping up respectably very quickly.

Saints fans are in that awkward position again in 2023 where they kind of want to tank and start rebuilding with some good draft picks but if things break right they have just as good a shot at winning the division as the Bucs or even the Falcons (showing some improvement especially on defense). But with SF, Philly, now Detroit, & Dallas all in the NFC the Saints have no realistic shot at any type of playoff success (in the mind of a Saints fan). Could something break right and they win a WC round game against maybe Seattle or Atlanta or something? Sure. But the offense right now is way too vanilla, calling the O-line mediocre would be generous, and the defense has to be perfect to keep them in games.

Sounds like a typical Vikings fan.
The reality is, they are pretty much what they were last year. They won 13 games, 11 by one score. This year, 1-4, all four loses by one score. Turnovers have been the biggest issue. 6 different players have fumbled the football through 5 games. Hockenson suddenly cant catch and they have missed huge plays that could have changed the outcome of the games.
Bottom line, last year everything broke right, this year, nothing has.

For the Lions,

Winning at KC was an unexpected surprised. Did not play well, but KC played worse. But still played hard smash-mouth football and won.

Losing to SEA at home was a disappointment. Defensive looked suspect and was very concerning. But SEA is a very good well-coaches team, and if the Lions were 0-2 it would have not been shocking.

Week 3-5 may have been the best stretch of football in Lions history. Despite some injuries, the Defense came alive. Massive pressure on QB's and completely shutting down the opponents run game. None of the teams were very good, but when you can beat any NFL team by 14 points it is a good week.

I was very high on the Lions going into the season. I thought they should have a top 3 offense, and I thought their defense could sneak into the top 10. The last three weeks, the offense has met every expectation and the defense has exceeded it. I am confident their offense will continue to be elite, but I still worry about their defense, especially with major injuries to key players in their secondary. I thought the Lions were a 12-win team going in. Now 14 wins is not out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread