What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fender Bender Insurance advice (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So Saturday I'm pulling up to a traffic light. Truck infront of me is slowing down and he stops shorter of where  I think.  I slam the brakes and hit him.

No idea what happened but it did I was in the wrong.  NO I WAS NOT ON MY PHONE.

Anyway, I pull over can't get out my door.   He pulls up and then pulls over. I get out apologize, he asks if I'm ok, I say yes I apologize again. He says what do you want to do?

I say we can exchange information, if that's ok. He goes on about how he doesn't have a lot of time, he is picking up his kids etc.  I say ok no problem.  I give him my cell number.  I say let me get my stuff.

I walk back to my car, open the glove compartment and dude is gone.  I never got a picture of his truck, his damage (dented rear bumper).  He called me right when I gave my number and my phone was still in my vehicle.  No message anything.  I don't know his name, the truck nothing.    

He was in a rush to leave, so I don't know if he doesn't have insurance,  was worried about cops, whatever.

Was just really weird.

I get home - and manage to straighten out my fender good enough to open my door and reduce the gap around the hood.  The front only has a little bit of damage on the "chrome" grill.

Something I'm sure I could just repaint.  As long as nothing mechanically is wrong and I drove it the past 2 days. No leaks, steering seems fine.  

I don't think I'll get this fixed anytime soon.

Should I call my insurance?   

My insurance rates will not go up.  I'm in NJ if it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might run it by your agent to get their advice, but personally, I would let it go unless I heard otherwise. 

ETA: I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, and I am not a NJ licensed attorney.........  Just personal opinion. 

I might run it by your agent to get their advice, but personally, I would let it go unless I heard otherwise. 

ETA: I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, and I am not a NJ licensed attorney.........  Just personal opinion. 
Don't have an agent - we deal directly :unsure:

Don't have an agent - we deal directly :unsure:
I'd go file a police report with the limited information you do have and then ignore it unless you hear otherwise.  My guess is the person you tapped has a warrant, no insurance, etc and did not want to be near a police officer and is not going to pursue this. 

So Saturday I'm pulling up to a traffic light. Truck infront of me is slowing down and he stops shorter of where  I think.  I slam the brakes and hit him.

No idea what happened but it did I was in the wrong.  NO I WAS NOT ON MY PHONE.

Anyway, I pull over can't get out my door.   He pulls up and then pulls over. I get out apologize, he asks if I'm ok, I say yes I apologize again. He says what do you want to do?

I say we can exchange information, if that's ok. He goes on about how he doesn't have a lot of time, he is picking up his kids etc.  I say ok no problem.  I give him my cell number.  I say let me get my stuff.

I walk back to my car, open the glove compartment and dude is gone.  I never got a picture of his truck, his damage (dented rear bumper).  He called me right when I gave my number and my phone was still in my vehicle.  No message anything.  I don't know his name, the truck nothing.    

He was in a rush to leave, so I don't know if he doesn't have insurance,  was worried about cops, whatever.

Was just really weird.

I get home - and manage to straighten out my fender good enough to open my door and reduce the gap around the hood.  The front only has a little bit of damage on the "chrome" grill.

Something I'm sure I could just repaint.  As long as nothing mechanically is wrong and I drove it the past 2 days. No leaks, steering seems fine.  

I don't think I'll get this fixed anytime soon.

Should I call my insurance?   

My insurance rates will not go up.  I'm in NJ if it matters.
Guy probably rolling dirty one way or another- no license, no insurance, weed in the car, undocumented person, something.   Your fault, unless he shouldn’t have been on the road in the first place (I’m not a lawyer). Good lesson for us all to hear though- have your phone handy so you can snap a picture right away. 

The damage was bad enough that you couldn't open your door?  Yikes.

Did you try calling the guy back?  I would do that.

Can we stereotype here? 

Can we stereotype here? 
Yeah, how is it something you can bend out, that also impacts the door opening.  I'm lost.

Can we stereotype here? 
No what happened was the fender "crumpled" in the spot it was supposed too.  It's a small dent.  What happened was the fender shifted slightly that when I opened the door the door edge was "outside" the fender so it would push on it. I ended up bending the fender worse opening the door.  Once I straightened fender the door opens fine.  The edge of the door goes "inside" the fender normally.

This is how door opens.  

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cn-static/si/sw1280/9709/9709_st1280_037.jpg

Fender shifted a little so basically there was no gap between door and fender. 

https://imgur.com/F3cw8AB

ETA: should have said crumple zone

No need to report it to you carrier if neither party wants to file a claim for damages. If anything, the other driver would contact their insurance company if they change their mind. It's not your responsibility at this point.

If this guy didn't get your insurance info or your drivers license number, then it sounds like he does not want to get insurance involved. Some insurance companies will raise your rates even if you are not at fault (especially if you've already made multiple claims).

If you are certain that your rates won't go up, then go ahead and call your insurance company. You don't even have to give them the other driver's info.

Users who are viewing this thread