What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Venting - Son Fender Bender - (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
On Monday my son (26) was involved in a minor fender bender. He calls me from the accident and I walk him through what to do (exchange insurance, take pictures, get drivers license, etc). He takes care of it all and sends me pics of both cars............his BMW has damage to the right front plastic around the headlight (it's cracked, not broken but cracked). NO OTHER DAMAGE. NOTHING TO THE PLASTIC BUMPER, NOTHING TO THE QUARTER PANEL, NOTHING TO THE HOOD The other car (older dodge charger) has small paint marks on back left corner of bumper.........no dents or other damage.

Son says he's got the other guys license and that he's going to send his insurance when he gets home.

Son calls insurance to set up the claim and gives them pictures and his statement on Monday evening.

Next day nothing. Wednesday nothing. Wednesday son calls other guy who refuses to give his insurance information and informs son that he immediately went to the ER on Monday due to back and neck pain.

Son uses his sleuth skills and looks up other guy.......lets just say that he's in his middle 20's, has multiple court cases/judgements against his budding music production business for non payment of loans, and seems to be well known in the thug lifestyle.

The green lizard calls me this morning and tells me that the claim has been changed from regular car insurance department to bodily damage department, and they'll need my son to bring in the car for review, but based on the pictures she seems skeptical and doubts that the other guy actually has insurance, but in Texas that does not matter (note to self.........buy beater car, cancel all insurance, and stop on road in front of expensive car).

Lady tells me that they'll try to reach a settlement and that they will handle everything,

What can I expect?

How much will my policy go up? Never made a claim in the last 8 years. All 3 of us have 0 tickets on our records.

Does your son live with you? Kind of weird hes not on his own insurance at 26.

And he drives a BMW?
Not quite sure how it's pertinent, but no he does not live w/ me. He has his own house. And yes, he drives "my" 2016 BMW because he drives 50 miles each way work each day and his car is a 2016 jeep 4 WD wrangler. Doing the math on MPG and cost/gallon and it helps him out on expenses. I work from home 4 days a week, so it is much easier on gas expense for him to utilize my car and I get to tool around w/ the top down and doors off and feel young every once in a while.

And yes he's on my insurance, because all the cars are in my name, as I was a cosigner on his car a couple of years ago that he purchased after college graduation (all his money, and he makes payments, but he got a much better rate w/ me on the agreement). Geico said it was cheaper and cleaner to keep him on my policy since all the cars are driven by all 3 of us.

And he drives a BMW?
Not quite sure how it's pertinent, but no he does not live w/ me. He has his own house. And yes, he drives "my" 2016 BMW because he drives 50 miles each way work each day and his car is a 2016 jeep 4 WD wrangler. Doing the math on MPG and cost/gallon and it helps him out on expenses. I work from home 4 days a week, so it is much easier on gas expense for him to utilize my car and I get to tool around w/ the top down and doors off and feel young every once in a while.

And yes he's on my insurance, because all the cars are in my name, as I was a cosigner on his car a couple of years ago that he purchased after college graduation (all his money, and he makes payments, but he got a much better rate w/ me on the agreement). Geico said it was cheaper and cleaner to keep him on my policy since all the cars are driven by all 3 of us.
He's 26 years old man. He should be on his own insurance. Other than that it sounds like your son rear ended the other guy so doesn't really matter if he has insurance. Your insurance company will handle everything whether it's a scam or not. Your insurance probably will go up but some carriers offer accident forgiveness.

And he drives a BMW?

He's 26 years old man. He should be on his own insurance. Other than that it sounds like your son rear ended the other guy so doesn't really matter if he has insurance. Your insurance company will handle everything whether it's a scam or not. Your insurance probably will go up but some carriers offer accident forgiveness.
Yup, all of this.

There are people that will take advantage of situations like this. It's sad, but true. Insurance companies don't want to fight it out because doctors and lawyers are expensive, so they just pay the plaintiffs out.

Update. Accident analyst called son around noon. Asked for more pictures. Said the pictures that he submitted earlier do not match the story that the other driver provided............they were going 60MPH when he slammed on brakes to stop from hitting car in front of him, and then my son slammed into him from behind (he was on a street w/ a 35MPH speed limit, SMH)

Son submitted pictures for virtual estimate which she then reviewed. Estimate on our car is $700 (400 labor 300 clear plastic around headlight).

Lady said she's seen more damage when cars back up into each other in parking lots.

She was going to revisit the other driver and give him the opportunity to come off his medical request of 75K based on the damage pictures.

She also told son that there would probably be minimal changes to our policy based on our driving history/record.

And he drives a BMW?

Yup, all of this.

There are people that will take advantage of situations like this. It's sad, but true. Insurance companies don't want to fight it out because doctors and lawyers are expensive, so they just pay the plaintiffs out.

As an insurance person, I can confirm. Generally speaking.......its usually cheaper (up to a certain point obviously) to pay someone to go away than it is to try and prove that they're lying/embellishing.

In most cases, we'll take the sure thing over the unknown. Law of large numbers kinda stuff. BS claim activity is built into the rates across the entire book. We all pay for it.

Big part of why the entire industry has a HUGE problem profitably writing auto liability coverage. On the commercial side, 90% of the auto we write is basically an accommodation (knowing we'll break even if we're lucky) so we can get the profitable parts of an account that we actually want.

Update. Accident analyst called son around noon. Asked for more pictures. Said the pictures that he submitted earlier do not match the story that the other driver provided............they were going 60MPH when he slammed on brakes to stop from hitting car in front of him, and then my son slammed into him from behind (he was on a street w/ a 35MPH speed limit, SMH)

Son submitted pictures for virtual estimate which she then reviewed. Estimate on our car is $700 (400 labor 300 clear plastic around headlight).

Lady said she's seen more damage when cars back up into each other in parking lots.

She was going to revisit the other driver and give him the opportunity to come off his medical request of 75K based on the damage pictures.

She also told son that there would probably be minimal changes to our policy based on our driving history/record.
I feel like these stories should be taken under oath or something, it should be a crime to completely lie like this.

get the profitable parts of an account that we actually want.
What are the profitable parts?

Obviously it varies by account. But usually some combination of their property, general liability, workers comp and umbrella/excess coverage. (Plus various professional and financial liability lines that I'm not involved with)

These lines generally have more pricing flexibility as well. Auto is very heavily regulated and there isn't too much room to deviate from filed rates. With property (as an example) you can almost always use various tools to charge the $$$ you need.

Sounds like nonsense, and probably shouldn't have involved insurance at all. But since the other guys a weasel, just let the insurers do their job. No use worrying about it, as it it completely out of your control at this point.

ORRRR, you can withdraw the insurance claim, and see how far the weasel is willing to go for his bluff. My guess is he ain't paying for a lawyer to sue you/your son. Personally, I'd let insurance do their thing, as I'd want to minimize my exposure to the dude regardless.

And he drives a BMW?

Yup, all of this.

But in this case it sounds like the plaintiff doesn't have insurance (and the legal team that comes with insurance) so the cost of medical and attorneys would be out of his own pocket. Not smart to accrue those costs if the claims of damages are bogus and you're staring down the barrel of Geico's legal defense panel ready to tear your story apart.

ORRRR, you can withdraw the insurance claim, and see how far the weasel is willing to go for his bluff. My guess is he ain't paying for a lawyer to sue you/your son.
It would be apropos if the weasel were a lawyer.
Exactly like some of our FBG "lawyers":
lets just say that he's in his middle 20's, has multiple court cases/judgements against his budding music production business for non payment of loans, and seems to be well known in the thug lifestyle.

And he drives a BMW?

Yup, all of this.

But in this case it sounds like the plaintiff doesn't have insurance (and the legal team that comes with insurance) so the cost of medical and attorneys would be out of his own pocket. Not smart to accrue those costs if the claims of damages are bogus and you're staring down the barrel of Geico's legal defense panel ready to tear your story apart.
Exactly. But he sounds like a low life, and who knows what retributory action he may take, if he knows where Coopersdad lives.

Last edited:
ORRRR, you can withdraw the insurance claim, and see how far the weasel is willing to go for his bluff. My guess is he ain't paying for a lawyer to sue you/your son.
It would be apropos if the weasel were a lawyer.
Exactly like some of our FBG "lawyers":
lets just say that he's in his middle 20's, has multiple court cases/judgements against his budding music production business for non payment of loans, and seems to be well known in the thug lifestyle.

And he drives a BMW?

Yup, all of this.

Exactly. But he sounds like a low life, and who nows what retributory action he may take, if he knows where Coopersdad lives.
let's not give any one any ideas..........I'm a dog loving old man who just wants to make it to see my grandchildren's baseball games in a few years.

Thanks for all the assistance here guys, much appreciated.

The police should have been called when the other guy wouldn't give up his insurance info.
Exactly this. The Texas Department of Insurance is clear here.

From the Auto Claims section:

• Get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and license plate number. Write down the exact name of the other driver’s insurance company, the company’s phone number, and the policy number. To save time, take a picture of the other driver’s insurance card. If the other driver refuses to tell you the name of his or her insurance company, call the police.

Last edited:
People suck. When my oldest was 17 he got into a minor fender bender. And when I say "minor" there was no visible damage. He bumped into a lady at a light who decided at the last minute to NOT turn left when she was going to. They both got out and inspected the cars, no damage, but for some reason they exchanged info. Next day the lady call me and says that she had a friend that had a similar type accident where there was no visible damage and there was $1500 worth of hidden damage to the car. She wanted to take it to a mechanic she knew and me to pay for it. I gave her the phone number of my insurance agent and told the lady to call her. She was like "You sure you don't want to keep this out of insurance??". I told her that was what I pay them for and to never call me again. :mad: I don't remember much more coming out of that situation.

And he drives a BMW?

I know this is not the intended topic of the thread, but I would strongly recommend you read this link:

I’m guessing @TLEF316 can offer additional thoughts on this point, but I think your situation may be creating significant uninsured risk for your family.

On topic, people suck and I hope your insurance company doesn’t roll over for this scam artist.

Last edited:

Obviously it varies by account. But usually some combination of their property, general liability, workers comp and umbrella/excess coverage. (Plus various professional and financial liability lines that I'm not involved with)

These lines generally have more pricing flexibility as well. Auto is very heavily regulated and there isn't too much room to deviate from filed rates. With property (as an example) you can almost always use various tools to charge the $$$ you need.
I’ve been in the p&c industry all my life. Currently large account underwriter for insureds with premiums over $500,000. Mostly workers compensation but general liability and auto too.

I’ve been in the p&c industry all my life. Currently large account underwriter for insureds with premiums over $500,000. Mostly workers compensation but general liability and auto too.
I do something very similar. Mostly loss sensitive/loss rated workers comp.

And he drives a BMW?

I know this is not the intended topic of the thread, but I would strongly recommend you read this link:

I’m guessing @TLEF316 can offer additional thoughts on this point, but I think your situation may be creating significant uninsured risk for your family.

On topic, people suck and I hope your insurance company doesn’t roll over for this scam artist.
Not really my area of expertise. Would strongly suggest the OPs talks to a licensed agent on any coverage concerns

And he drives a BMW?

Texas has some funky rules for car insurance. It's often better to keep families together like this.

And he drives a BMW?

Texas has some funky rules for car insurance. It's often better to keep families together like this.

For many policies, it can be a bad idea if your child no longer resides with you (unless they are in college).

Last edited:

And he drives a BMW?

For many policies, it can be a bad idea if your child no longer resides with you (unless they are in college).
Talk to an agent, but dealing with some of this in Texas the rules favor this if you all share cars even if not completely in same household.

It pays to make sure all living and car access situations are well documented. i.e we let our kid drive one car, but in the summer I drive it.

Texas now has these provisional rules for ages 16-18 which hardly anyone understands the first time they read thru them. You break those rules you can get totally ****ed. Happened to a few people I know.

And he drives a BMW?

It may be cheaper but I wouldn't call that better

And he drives a BMW?

Talk to an agent, but dealing with some of this in Texas the rules favor this if you all share cars even if not completely in same household.

It pays to make sure all living and car access situations are well documented. i.e we let our kid drive one car, but in the summer I drive it.

Texas now has these provisional rules for ages 16-18 which hardly anyone understands the first time they read thru them. You break those rules you can get totally ****ed. Happened to a few people I know.

I live in Texas, and once my son no longer resides in my household, he will get his own policy with a car in his own name to ensure the broadest coverage and to ringfence risk.

I do something very similar. Mostly loss sensitive/loss rated workers comp.
What company and where are you located as I do the same.. I work for Pma and based out of ct.

Users who are viewing this thread