What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baby it's Cold Outside (1 Viewer)

Is this a legit controversy or a fake one? Meaning are there a substantial number of people genuinely outraged and trying to ban the song?  Because I’ve seen this story about 50 times in my FB feed and every single post is a critique on PC culture. Not a single one is lamenting the supposed horribleness of the song’s content. I’m leaning fake controversy but am open to being convinced otherwise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't we saying this about 7 years ago on the FFA.  I feel like everything that is discussed in pop culture has been brought up on this board months or years before it hits mainstream.  Oh, and fake outrage, per the usual.

It might end up being the first banned Christmas song. Soon to be followed by Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, after complaints by AARP.

Weren't we saying this about 7 years ago on the FFA.  I feel like everything that is discussed in pop culture has been brought up on this board months or years before it hits mainstream.  Oh, and fake outrage, per the usual.
Wait, is the fake outrage: (1) complaining about the song; or (2) complaining about people supposedly complaining about the song?

It's a little rapey in today's world, yeah, but I don't think it should be banned. The world was different when it came out.

Should probably ban Santa Baby next, dont want to promote gold digging.  Don’t want to send a message that girls should  be expecting a man to provide for them 

I thought the complaints were crap, but then i read the lyrics and could understand the complaints.

I think its overblown, but I can understand not wanting it played as a Christmas song.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://ascienceenthusiast.com/baby-its-cold-outside/

See, this woman is staying late, unchaperoned, at a dude’s house. In the 1940’s, that’s the kind of thing Good Girls aren’t supposed to do — and she wants people to think she’s a good girl. The woman in the song says outright, multiple times, that what other people will think of her staying is what she’s really concerned about: “the neighbors might think,” “my maiden aunt’s mind is vicious,” “there’s bound to be talk tomorrow.” But she’s having a really good time, and she wants to stay, and so she is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behavior (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink — unaware that the drink is actually really weak, maybe not even alcoholic at all. That’s the joke. That is the standard joke that’s going on when a woman in media from the early-to-mid 20th century says “hey, what’s in this drink?” It is not a joke about how she’s drunk and about to be raped. It’s a joke about how she’s perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she’s living in a society where women aren’t supposed to have sexual agency.

bigbottom said:
Is this a legit controversy or a fake one? Meaning are there a substantial number of people genuinely outraged and trying to ban the song?  Because I’ve seen this story about 50 times in my FB feed and every single post is a critique on PC culture. Not a single one is lamenting the supposed horribleness of the song’s content. I’m leaning fake controversy but am open to being convinced otherwise. 
two radio stations in Denver that do Christmas songs have banned it this year.   🤔🤔

Heard this in the dentist's office the other day and first thing I thought of was this board.  And the debate thenceforth.  

I guess we should all be happy that people have so little real troubles and worries in their lives that they have time to generate faux outrage over stupid stuff like this.
Next thing you're gonna tell me they'll make a big deal about Starbucks coffee cups. 

bigbottom said:
Wait, is the fake outrage: (1) complaining about the song; or (2) complaining about people supposedly complaining about the song?
Both, but more so the 2nd one in this instance.  It's the whole "war on christmas" crap again...

Been debunked several times, by the guy that wrote it and sang it with his wife. 

But that doesn't stop hysterical people from regurgitation every year, around Christmas
It's everything.

Im so ashamed for humans at this time period.

So much is done for ratings/attention. Make a crazy statement all you need is  2% to agree and the 98% create so much counter outrage that the 98% start arguing within themselves and just like that...the tiny subset of people complaining about something got everyone else to notice them.

It's so genious and yet so easy for these media outlets and your random trolls online to get people up in arms....til the next subject

Rinse and repeat

OrtonToOlsen said:
It’s a stupid controversy.

The song has nothing to do with rape or drugging a girl’s drink.

The woman in the song actually wants to stay and bone but societal mores  (at that time) were telling her she should go.
Dont tell moops. 

Users who are viewing this thread