What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Full or Half PPR (w/TE premium) (1 Viewer)

Heisenberg23

Footballguy
As the season is closing I want to get your thoughts on 1 PPR vs. 0.5 PPR.

My 14-team redraft auction, currently 1 PPR and considering 0.5 PPR for WR/RB and 0.75 TE.

Thoughts???

Go with point per first down instead of PPR and never use premiums. There's nothing more special about one position catching a pass than any other position. If equal points for equal production creates positional value discrepancy then people should draft accordingly.

I’d go PPR for all or .5 PPR for all.

the premium is a training wheels system, IMO. 

Having all scoring equal creates a strategic element to the position. Do you reach for an elite TE, or spend the early pick stacking other positions & hoping for the best? 

I say keep scoring level for all positions. 

Ninja’s idea is a good one - I always hated the catch for -5 being worth +.5 in full PPR, but I never wanted to toss the baby with the bathwater. 

So yeah, whether it’s .5 or 1, I like having same sci-fi g for all. Positional rarity sorts it out. And since I like scoring, so i always lean towards full. Plus it opens up the flex field to marginal 3rd down backs who can be viable with a 4-5 reception day. Dropping it to .5 virtually ruins those players to a TD or bust option. 

So you’d be narrowing the FA market pretty substantially as well. 

As a fan of scoring, is suggest keeping it 1 PPR & maybe just flex the TE spot to TE/WR. That way you don’t need to deal with marginal TEs and can have a marginal WR instead.  :shrug:

There's nothing more special about one position catching a pass than any other position.

I disagree completely.  WRs’ primary responsibility is catching passes.  That’s their job.  TEs can get saddled with blocking responsibilities that prevent their running routes, plus generally speaking they are less athletic than WRs.  Each can limit opportunties.  And while RBs can also get held in pass protection, they also can accumulate points in other ways, and when they do go out they usually are running short patterns against inferior pass coverage, hence easier completions.

The above is why we use graduated ppr: 0.5 ppr for RBs, 1.0 ppr for WRs (and all players other than RBs and TEs) and 1.5 ppr for TEs.  It helps balance values of players a bit - which is what really makes the game more fun IMO.  When you combine the differential scoring with flex lineups it gives you multiple ways of building strong teams.  There isn’t one standard formula that is inherently superior to any other.

I won’t argue about the first down scoring - if a league likes it, that’s great and I support their using it. But why would a first down gain of 9 yds be worth less than the following second down 1 yd dive for the first down?  Didn’t the 9 yd gain set up the opportunity for the 1 yd first down?  The 1 yd gain in exchange for a down used would be an overall detriment to moving the chains otherwise.  There’s nothing superior about that scoring system, which has its pluses and minuses like all systems do.

Go with point per first down instead of PPR and never use premiums. There's nothing more special about one position catching a pass than any other position. If equal points for equal production creates positional value discrepancy then people should draft accordingly.
I completely disagree with this.  I strive to set up a scoring system to make all positions equal when comparing tiers across positions.  Elite QB or RB or WR or TE all score in the same vicinity.  That way you can build teams in many different ways.  Things like 2 QB or superflex also help because it stretches out the talent (too many similar QB's in the 8-15 range) to increase their value. 

I don't want leagues where you have to get a stud RB to compete.  I want to increase options in creating your team and having different scoring scenarios for each position to even them out helps.  It's extremely hard to do but it makes things more interesting. 

I completely disagree with this.  I strive to set up a scoring system to make all positions equal when comparing tiers across positions.  Elite QB or RB or WR or TE all score in the same vicinity.  That way you can build teams in many different ways.  Things like 2 QB or superflex also help because it stretches out the talent (too many similar QB's in the 8-15 range) to increase their value. 

I don't want leagues where you have to get a stud RB to compete.  I want to increase options in creating your team and having different scoring scenarios for each position to even them out helps.  It's extremely hard to do but it makes things more interesting. 
That's fine if you want to eliminate strategy from your leagues. I just think it removes a huge part of the challenge of team building. Artificially inflating value of some positions to match other positions is bizarre to me and I've never found it necessary. I don't think there is a popular format out there where you "have" to have a stud RB to compete. I've found that additional starting spots can help smooth things out (including superflex, like you mentioned). The only leagues where you might need a stud to compete would be leagues with ridiculously small starting lineups (1-2-2-1 leagues).

That's fine if you want to eliminate strategy from your leagues. I just think it removes a huge part of the challenge of team building. Artificially inflating value of some positions to match other positions is bizarre to me and I've never found it necessary. I don't think there is a popular format out there where you "have" to have a stud RB to compete. I've found that additional starting spots can help smooth things out (including superflex, like you mentioned). The only leagues where you might need a stud to compete would be leagues with ridiculously small starting lineups (1-2-2-1 leagues).
I find it to be the exact opposite.  When you have leagues that don't account to make positions of equal scoring value (for the same level of player) it decreases the strategy.  Everyone drafts the same style and it comes down to did you get the guy that performed as expected or stayed healthy vs the underperformer or injured player.  When positions are scored to have similar value there is much more strategy because you can build in multiple ways.  I think it increases the strategy options. 

I find it to be the exact opposite.  When you have leagues that don't account to make positions of equal scoring value (for the same level of player) it decreases the strategy.  Everyone drafts the same style and it comes down to did you get the guy that performed as expected or stayed healthy vs the underperformer or injured player.  When positions are scored to have similar value there is much more strategy because you can build in multiple ways.  I think it increases the strategy options. 
That makes no sense. If stat values are artificially inflated so that everybody scores roughly the same down the line then it takes no strategy. You simply draft BPA. And "building in multiple ways" does not mean more strategy. That often means less strategy, because you don't have to worry about positional tiers or positional scarcity. I've heard the same argument about how extra flex spots means more strategy because "moar variations", but in fact it means the absolute opposite. No care or strategy is needed for roster construction when rosters are fluid. 

That makes no sense. If stat values are artificially inflated so that everybody scores roughly the same down the line then it takes no strategy. You simply draft BPA. And "building in multiple ways" does not mean more strategy. That often means less strategy, because you don't have to worry about positional tiers or positional scarcity. I've heard the same argument about how extra flex spots means more strategy because "moar variations", but in fact it means the absolute opposite. No care or strategy is needed for roster construction when rosters are fluid. 
I would say your version is no strategy.  I need to take a RB and hope he doesn't get hurt.  You have to get one of the top tier at the most important position and hope they don't get hurt (just picked RB ....could be whatever position has the most value based on your scoring)

The strategy when all positions are similar is really trying to figure out which player is set up for an above average year regardless of position.  You may think it's a RB while I think it is a TE.  It let's us each figure out how we want to build our team.  However, if TE is meaningless because they don't score enough then why put in any strategy into that position.  It won't help much at all.

We see things differently.  I don't think either of us will change our minds.  It's why there are multiple ways to set up leagues.  Whatever works for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes no sense. If stat values are artificially inflated so that everybody scores roughly the same down the line then it takes no strategy.

I don’t believe this is what he is advocating, nor am I.  But values can be adjusted through scoring and starting requirements so that one position doesn’t overwhelm the other positions (or conversely so that one position has next to no value in comparison to other positions).  I think you probably understand these concepts, so I’m struggling to see why you would diminish someone who is willing to take the time, effort, and thoughtfulness to work through this kind of moderated balancing.  

I would say your version is no strategy.  I need to take a RB and hope he doesn't get hurt.  You have to get one of the top tier at the most important position and hope they don't get hurt (just picked RB ....could be whatever position has the most value based on your scoring)

The strategy when all positions are similar is really trying to figure out which player is set up for an above average year regardless of position.  You may think it's a RB while I think it is a TE.  It let's us each figure out how we want to build our team.  However, if TE is meaningless because they don't score enough then why put in any strategy into that position.  It won't help much at all.

We see things differently.  I don't think either of us will change our minds.  It's why there are multiple ways to set up leagues.  Whatever works for you. 
Why do you keep talking about RB? You sound like you are trying to make the tired argument for PPR back in 1998 when maybe a dozen guys got 300 carries and less than 30 receptions. That era is long past. Most often the premium is used to prop up TE value these days. And thanks to the advent of PPR, people can skip RB altogether in the early rounds and just use a guy like Woodhead or Duke Johnson later... PPR is the reason zero-RB strategy became popular. The fact that zero-RB was ever a wide-spread strategy proves that no, you don't have to grab a running back and hope he doesn't get hurt in non-tiered scoring.

The strategy you listed in your second paragraph is still important even when scoring isn't tiered. So again, you're not adding strategy by tiering. 

I play in both tiered and non-tiered formats. I'm not going to employ hyperbole and say it's night and day, but there's clearly less strategy required in leagues with tiered scoring or heavy flexes.

It's also hard to get past how contrived it is. We all know there's nothing special about a TE catching a pass that should make it worth more than a WR. Wouldn't it be weird if their TDs were worth more? Why is it less weird for receptions? It's all nonsense.

All PPR does is overvalue WRs.  People forget it was invented in the days of bellcow RBs when the disparity in touches between RB and WR meant drafters could legitimately draft RB-RB-RB in a start-2 league.

By the time PPR became widey accepted though, the league had changed in a direction to favor passing for primary offense AND in favor of committees at RB.  So now we see “zero RB” type strategies which are the exact reverse of the old school 3RB drafts.

The pendulum swung way too far.  Go back to standard, imo.  More balance.

Why do you keep talking about RB? You sound like you are trying to make the tired argument for PPR back in 1998 when maybe a dozen guys got 300 carries and less than 30 receptions. That era is long past. Most often the premium is used to prop up TE value these days. And thanks to the advent of PPR, people can skip RB altogether in the early rounds and just use a guy like Woodhead or Duke Johnson later... PPR is the reason zero-RB strategy became popular. The fact that zero-RB was ever a wide-spread strategy proves that no, you don't have to grab a running back and hope he doesn't get hurt in non-tiered scoring.

The strategy you listed in your second paragraph is still important even when scoring isn't tiered. So again, you're not adding strategy by tiering. 

I play in both tiered and non-tiered formats. I'm not going to employ hyperbole and say it's night and day, but there's clearly less strategy required in leagues with tiered scoring or heavy flexes.

It's also hard to get past how contrived it is. We all know there's nothing special about a TE catching a pass that should make it worth more than a WR. Wouldn't it be weird if their TDs were worth more? Why is it less weird for receptions? It's all nonsense.
If you took the time to read the entire post  you would see that RB was just a position for the sake of using a position that could be highly valued for a particular scoring system.  I could have used the position XX instead.  I really don't care what the position is.  Obviously you don't understand the point I am trying to make. 

The point is if the scoring system isn't balanced across positions then there is some position that is more important leading to everyone needing to build their team one way according to that importance.  I don't see the added strategy in that case. 

All PPR does is overvalue WRs.  People forget it was invented in the days of bellcow RBs when the disparity in touches between RB and WR meant drafters could legitimately draft RB-RB-RB in a start-2 league.

By the time PPR became widey accepted though, the league had changed in a direction to favor passing for primary offense AND in favor of committees at RB.  So now we see “zero RB” type strategies which are the exact reverse of the old school 3RB drafts.

I agree and that is to say that by adjusting scoring to keep more positions relevant adds strategy.  That is the reason for balancing the scoring.  It's something that has to be done periodically to keep up with the ever changing landscape of the NFL.  It is necessary to keep value spread across positions so there are multiple ways to build a competitive team. 

FF Ninja said:
Positions drop off at different rates.   No scoring system is going to make the strategy go away.  It just changes the equation.  You still need to locate the spots in the draft where each position is a good or bad value and try to align your picks to hit the high value spots.

On flex positions, it depends how far a league goes.   Adding too many flex can head the direction you mention.  Adding non-flex avoids that better.  For example... add a second TE instead of a flex, and a modest premium bump, and now you have to start caring about how the TE drop off after the top couple, and how that compares to the other positions.

Also, I would add... getting away from cookie cutter league formats is probably the single biggest thing I believe you can do to make the decisions of the owner prominent.  My leagues evolved over time into very non-standard formats (1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE, PPR (.25/.5/1.0), plus a full 4-3 IDP, punters, kickers and head coaches). 

It quickly became apparent which owners understood how to figure out value, and which owners relied on online advice crafted for stock league formats. And after the first season or two, which owners could look at their failings and look at the successful teams and see where they were going wrong, vs which owners just kept doing it as they'd always done it (and #####ed about their results as often as not).

I very much encourage leagues to change up things from the stock formats, for that reason.  

As the season is closing I want to get your thoughts on 1 PPR vs. 0.5 PPR.

My 14-team redraft auction, currently 1 PPR and considering 0.5 PPR for WR/RB and 0.75 TE.

Thoughts???
I like it.  I play in many 1.5 TE PPR leagues as I'm sure most others do.  I like it, but the .5 and .75 would be better.  Never used that scoring system but I think that would be ideal.  Full PPR is getting a little much lately.

Positions drop off at different rates.   No scoring system is going to make the strategy go away.  It just changes the equation.  You still need to locate the spots in the draft where each position is a good or bad value and try to align your picks to hit the high value spots.

On flex positions, it depends how far a league goes.   Adding too many flex can head the direction you mention.  Adding non-flex avoids that better.  For example... add a second TE instead of a flex, and a modest premium bump, and now you have to start caring about how the TE drop off after the top couple, and how that compares to the other positions.
I agree, but when people fiddle with scoring like that it's basically designed so people can go numb during the first few rounds and just take BPA because the scoring is usually adjusted by looking at the top 12. Like I said, it's not night and day, but it does decrease strategy a bit. But more than anything it's just nonsense because one position's receptions are not more valuable than another's, so why reflect that it is in your league scoring? People would flip out about how stupid it is to make a TE TD worth 7.5 points instead of 6, but nobody bats an eye when their receptions are somehow worth more.

But really the best advice I can give is to use points per first down, auction, superflex/2QB, and add a couple more positions (perhaps non-traditional ones like you mentioned in your next post). That way you don't have to listen to people cry about how you've got to take X in the first round... there is no first round anymore or draft position advantages; everyone has an equal shot at every player. And no one player can win a matchup when you've got larger lineups. 

Gally said:
If you took the time to read the entire post  you would see that RB was just a position for the sake of using a position that could be highly valued for a particular scoring system.  I could have used the position XX instead.  I really don't care what the position is.  Obviously you don't understand the point I am trying to make. 

The point is if the scoring system isn't balanced across positions then there is some position that is more important leading to everyone needing to build their team one way according to that importance.  I don't see the added strategy in that case. 
I read it. I understood it. It's just a very weak point.

Like I said, I play in all different formats and despite your insistence to the contrary, I've seen teams in my non-tiered leagues dominate with many different lineup compositions. You whine about non-tiered scoring leading to a single strategy that everyone must adhere to, but I think everyone else realizes there are an abundance of different strategies that have all worked in non-tiered scoring. It's like you've got this excuse for a nonsensical scoring system baked into your brain and you can't see beyond it. You're skewing your scoring to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I agree, but when people fiddle with scoring like that it's basically designed so people can go numb during the first few rounds and just take BPA because the scoring is usually adjusted by looking at the top 12.

I would have just walked away from this discussion since you have little tolerance for any position other than your own, but your subsequent post to the one quoted above changed my mind.

You’re absolutely wrong with the statement above, and then adding the insulting post makes me wonder why you’re so aggressive and intolerant.  If their scoring system isn’t your cup of tea, that’s fine.  But that doesn’t make them wrong, nor does it make you the smartest guy in the room or any better than them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read it. I understood it. It's just a very weak point.

Like I said, I play in all different formats and despite your insistence to the contrary, I've seen teams in my non-tiered leagues dominate with many different lineup compositions. You whine about non-tiered scoring leading to a single strategy that everyone must adhere to, but I think everyone else realizes there are an abundance of different strategies that have all worked in non-tiered scoring. It's like you've got this excuse for a nonsensical scoring system baked into your brain and you can't see beyond it. You're skewing your scoring to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Then why did you attack the RB aspect asking why I kept bringing the RB as a focal point?  I clearly stated it could have been any position but yet you decided to attack that one aspect because I happened to use the RB position in my example. 

I too have played in all different formats and have a differing opinion to yours.  Its why they make all kinds of leagues.  To each their own.  I don't have any "excuse" baked into my brain.  I don't think either scoring system is a problem.  I don't think your preferred scoring is wrong.  I just prefer to have each position equal in value in terms of scoring output and gave examples why I prefer it. 

My main focus on why I prefer the balanced scoring is for draft purposes.  As the season goes on injuries, poor play etc can lead to players coming out of nowhere to help a team win.  However, in leagues where one position dominates in scoring you must have strong people at that position to win.  It could come by picking up the hot waiver add that nobody expected to be a stud or using your first three rounds to stock that position.  But in the end you must have top players at that dominate position. 

Bottom line I am not trying to fix any problem.  I am stating my preference and why it's my preference.  You can continue to bash my opinion but it really doesn't serve any purpose.  There is no right or wrong.  It's just to each their own. 

Then why did you attack the RB aspect asking why I kept bringing the RB as a focal point?  I clearly stated it could have been any position but yet you decided to attack that one aspect because I happened to use the RB position in my example. 

I too have played in all different formats and have a differing opinion to yours.  Its why they make all kinds of leagues.  To each their own.  I don't have any "excuse" baked into my brain.  I don't think either scoring system is a problem.  I don't think your preferred scoring is wrong.  I just prefer to have each position equal in value in terms of scoring output and gave examples why I prefer it. 

My main focus on why I prefer the balanced scoring is for draft purposes.  As the season goes on injuries, poor play etc can lead to players coming out of nowhere to help a team win.  However, in leagues where one position dominates in scoring you must have strong people at that position to win.  It could come by picking up the hot waiver add that nobody expected to be a stud or using your first three rounds to stock that position.  But in the end you must have top players at that dominate position. 

Bottom line I am not trying to fix any problem.  I am stating my preference and why it's my preference.  You can continue to bash my opinion but it really doesn't serve any purpose.  There is no right or wrong.  It's just to each their own. 
Because it seemed like you were harping on that particular position.

Bottom line, there is no compelling reason to award one position more or less for completing the exact same action. Logically it makes no sense, much like awarding awarding a TE 3 points for a 2 point conversion while awarding a RB only 1 point for it and 2 points to a WR. If some people struggle to draft around ppg scoring discrepancies between the top players at different positions then it is a strategic failing on their part. The numerous successful draft strategies for non-tiered scoring systems should help you realize non-tiered scoring doesn't lend itself to a single strategy that all must abide by as you previously insinuated. 

Arodin said:

While I agree we've seen pendulums shift a little too much as overall offensive thrusts of the NFL has changed (from run-based to pass based), I do disagree with the bolded part.

PPR (and premiums) definitely overvalue the top tier of WRs and TEs, which is an issue (the rich get richer). However, they also bring much more value to spot starters and wire players who can, with the addition of PPR/premiums, now suddenly add more value to your squad in a spot start based on match ups. Especially for leagues with large number of teams (12+) and/or shorter benches, PPR makes it perfectly viable to replace a WR2/3/Flex on your team who may be injured, facing a stout D, or simply trending down, with a guy off the wire who would be completely non-viable in standard.

I actually think the balanced trade-off between having the Top 3 TEs outscore QBs most weeks with being able to get a serviceable game from a guy like Goedert/Vannett or Gabriel/Patterson.

Because it seemed like you were harping on that particular position.

Bottom line, there is no compelling reason to award one position more or less for completing the exact same action. Logically it makes no sense, much like awarding awarding a TE 3 points for a 2 point conversion while awarding a RB only 1 point for it and 2 points to a WR. If some people struggle to draft around ppg scoring discrepancies between the top players at different positions then it is a strategic failing on their part. The numerous successful draft strategies for non-tiered scoring systems should help you realize non-tiered scoring doesn't lend itself to a single strategy that all must abide by as you previously insinuated. 
The reason is to make all positions equal in scoring for the same type/tier of player across all positions.   You may not like that approach or prefer to not score that way but it doesn't change the fact that the reason to have different scoring for different positions is to make them score similarly.  Some people prefer leagues that do that.  It's not wrong or right.  It is just a way to do things. 

While I agree we've seen pendulums shift a little too much as overall offensive thrusts of the NFL has changed (from run-based to pass based), I do disagree with the bolded part.

PPR (and premiums) definitely overvalue the top tier of WRs and TEs, which is an issue (the rich get richer). However, they also bring much more value to spot starters and wire players who can, with the addition of PPR/premiums, now suddenly add more value to your squad in a spot start based on match ups. Especially for leagues with large number of teams (12+) and/or shorter benches, PPR makes it perfectly viable to replace a WR2/3/Flex on your team who may be injured, facing a stout D, or simply trending down, with a guy off the wire who would be completely non-viable in standard.

I actually think the balanced trade-off between having the Top 3 TEs outscore QBs most weeks with being able to get a serviceable game from a guy like Goedert/Vannett or Gabriel/Patterson.
You make some very good points here.  Unsurprisingly a lot of the debate at the core comes down to stylistic preferences. 

You want a league where you can easily swap out a WR3 from the wire, while I have a personal preference for deeper leagues where that is not easy to do.  So widening the pool of potentially valuable lower-tier guys plays to your preference and away from mine.

I was not thinking in terms of that preference influencing my analysis of PPR.  I appreciate your post in that regard as well.

(But still prefer standard leagues.  😛 )

Users who are viewing this thread