What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zeke Stat Correction (1 Viewer)

So what are the big stat changes that could resuscitate my bacon this week?  Just need two yerds for me or two yards against the other guy.  Who is getting two yards adjusted this week?  Anyone? Anyone?

Curious about this one from MNF:

4th & 1 at DEN 46

(0:18 - 1st) (Shotgun) C.Keenum to DEN 40 for -6 yards (N.Morrow). FUMBLES (N.Morrow), recovered by DEN-P.Lindsay at DEN 42. P.Lindsay ran ob at OAK 47 for 11 yards (E.Harris).
Broncos ran a lame-o option pitch to Lindsay (as if anyone actually expected Keenum to keep the ball). Raiders defender got his hand on the ball and knocked it to the ground before Lindsay could get a handle on it. Fortunately for Denver, it bounced right back up into his hands and he ran for 11. 

My question is, does that get counted as rushing yardage or fumble recovery yardage? I've always been under the impression plays like that count separately from regular runs. But it does look from the play by play that they're crediting those as rushing yards for Lindsay.

ETA: Just noticed that they credited him with 11 yards. That's the distance from where he recovered it (DEN 42) to where the play ended (OAK 47). But the original line of scrimmage was DEN 46. So if it were just a straightforward run, it would have been 7 yards. Looking at my Yahoo scoring log, I do see Lindsay credited with an 11 yard run (though it's possible that was a different play).

Based on what I've seen so far, I could see that 1.1 pts coming off his total. But I could be wrong. Anyone know the scoring rules in this situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious about this one from MNF:

Broncos ran a lame-o option pitch to Lindsay (as if anyone actually expected Keenum to keep the ball). Raiders defender got his hand on the ball and knocked it to the ground before Lindsay could get a handle on it. Fortunately for Denver, it bounced right back up into his hands and he ran for 11. 

My question is, does that get counted as rushing yardage or fumble recovery yardage? I've always been under the impression plays like that count separately from regular runs. But it does look from the play by play that they're crediting those as rushing yards for Lindsay.

ETA: Just noticed that they credited him with 11 yards. That's the distance from where he recovered it (DEN 42) to where the play ended (OAK 47). But the original line of scrimmage was DEN 46. So if it were just a straightforward run, it would have been 7 yards. Looking at my Yahoo scoring log, I do see Lindsay credited with an 11 yard run (though it's possible that was a different play).

Based on what I've seen so far, I could see that 1.1 pts coming off his total. But I could be wrong. Anyone know the scoring rules in this situation?
OK, this was bugging me (even though it didn't affect my matchup) so I went through the play by play and counted all of Lindsay's rushes. I accounted for all 10 of them (and 46 yards) without including that play I was talking about above.

So the good news for Lindsay owners is there is likely not a stat correction coming. The bad news is, if you have Lindsay and lost by a point, that ball hitting the ground was what screwed you out of a win.

If I recall correctly, it works like this:

- If you recover your own fumble, then all of the yards count as Rushing (or Receiving) yards

- If you recover someone else's fumble, then all of your yards count as "Fumble Return Yards"

Therefore, I would expect Lindsay to be credited only with Fumble Return Yards for this play. (Not sure if he'd get credit for 11 yards or for 7 yards, however.)

- If you recover your own fumble, then all of the yards count as Rushing (or Receiving) yards

- If you recover someone else's fumble, then all of your yards count as "Fumble Return Yards"

Therefore, I would expect Lindsay to be credited only with Fumble Return Yards for this play. (Not sure if he'd get credit for 11 yards or for 7 yards, however.)
Per the game log, he got credit for 11 fumble return yards. But for fantasy purpose, the number is irrelevant, since none of them count toward his total YFS.

If there had been no fumble, he would have gotten 7 rushing yards. So I was wrong above. If you lost by 0.6 or less, then you got screwed. But if you lost by a point, this play wouldn't have saved you (you can blame the hand injury instead).

BTW, I remember a play a few years ago where Roethlisberger threw a pass to Antonio Brown, who fumbled at the 1 and then recovered in the end zone for a TD. There was some debate over whether Ben should get credit for a TD pass there, and he did for the exact reason you cite: Brown recovered his own fumble, so it's considered a continuous play.

Anybody consider these a forward pitch to Samuels that should count as a reception? Sweating a trophy...

https://gfycat.com/PopularOffbeatGoldfinch

https://gfycat.com/SeriousJollyGrackle

No, that's a backwards pass/pitch.
It's definitely not backwards, if anything it is lateral but imagine if it were a last ditch play with zero time left and an exchange already occurred...it would be at minimum reviewable to see if it were a forward pass. Grasping at straws here I know but again in no way backwards

Anybody consider these a forward pitch to Samuels that should count as a reception? Sweating a trophy...

https://gfycat.com/PopularOffbeatGoldfinch

https://gfycat.com/SeriousJollyGrackle
Has Pittsburgh been running that play with Conner all year? Because I watched the last two Steelers games and those sideways lateral plays they were running to Samuels stuck out to me as being unusual and awkward looking.

Anyway, my general impression was that none of the ones I saw (including these two) were forward. The touch passes we've been seeing more of this year have generally consisted of the "receiver" running in front of the QB on a jet sweep. On these plays Ben clearly turns to the side to toss to Samuels. I can't swear that there wasn't one or two times where, due to the two players' positioning, the ball went forward. But they were doing it a lot last week and AFAIK there were no corrections.

It's definitely not backwards, if anything it is lateral but imagine if it were a last ditch play with zero time left and an exchange already occurred...it would be at minimum reviewable to see if it were a forward pass. Grasping at straws here I know but again in no way backwards
Ben gets it at the 20 and tosses it to Connor at the 19.5.   FFS he pulls back (therefore back from where it started) and then flicks it to the side.  I'd say in no way is it forwards, it looks clearly back to me.  Look at where their hands are at when they first touch the ball.

Ben gets it at the 20 and tosses it to Connor at the 19.5.   FFS he pulls back (therefore back from where it started) and then flicks it to the side.  I'd say in no way is it forwards, it looks clearly back to me.  Look at where their hands are at when they first touch the ball.
Not disagreeing with your conclusion, but just to pick nits, it's not where Ben gets the ball. It's where the ball is when it leaves his hands vs. where it is when Samuels catches it. If the latter is further down the field than the former, it's a pass. I don't think it is in this case -- it looks like the ball goes straight to the side -- but it is close. 

Not disagreeing with your conclusion, but just to pick nits, it's not where Ben gets the ball. It's where the ball is when it leaves his hands vs. where it is when Samuels catches it. If the latter is further down the field than the former, it's a pass. I don't think it is in this case -- it looks like the ball goes straight to the side -- but it is close. 
Sure,  I suppose you're right.  I don't know how anyone but the blindly desperate see that play and even consider for a moment that it could be some kind of forward pass tho.

Sure,  I suppose you're right.  I don't know how anyone but the blindly desperate see that play and even consider for a moment that it could be some kind of forward pass tho.
I don't think intent officially matters in these situations, but it might influence scorers indirectly. The touch passes are clearly designed to be passes; these Pittsburgh plays are clearly designed to be runs. I'm picturing some low-level film cruncher in Elias' offices queuing up a bunch of those plays on Christmas Eve and saying, "Awwww HELL no! ... Hey boss, I finished Steelers-Saints and have no corrections."

From what I've noticed, Elias doesn't usually change the call on the field unless it's obvious. They are mostly looking at verifying who did what, and how many yards were involved.

Users who are viewing this thread