What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mammoth Mountain. Anyone been there skiing? (1 Viewer)

flapgreen

Footballguy
Flying out in early March to meet some of my family there for the weekend to go skiing. Was planning on staying 3 nights and ski for 2 days.  Looking for any recommendations from people who have been there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying out in early March to meet some of my family there for the weekend to go skiing. Was planning on staying 3 nights and ski for 2 days.  Looking for any recommendations from people who have been there. 
You can ski in Kentucky?

Oh and do Black Tie ski rentals if you're not flying with your own skis. They come right to your room and set you up with what you need and when you're done you can just leave them with the bell hop and they hand them off for you.
Oh that is sweet! Thanks! 

What sort of recommendations are you after?  I go all the time.  

There are 3 main lodges. Main, canyon and eagle. There is lodging at the base of all of them. Canyon is serviced by the free gondola, that goes to the village.  The Westin is at the base of the gondola. There are a zillion options to stay. Where are your family staying?

i can tell you pretty much anything you’d want to know. Depending on how much you want to ski, you might consider 4 nights. Your flight in  will land in late afternoon and the same for the flight out. 

from the airport you have a couple options.  mammoth taxi, i strongly suggest, calling ahead to book them.  there will probably not be taxis at the airport.  the airport is miniscule.  another option is the free shuttle bus.  it is operated by mammoth properties and goes to all 4 of their main properties.  you can hop on and go to the village stop and then go to your lodging.  or to whichever stop is closest to where you end up staying.  there is no uber.  yet

the free bus system is great.  i drive up there, park my car and rarely drive once i'm in town.  take this into account if you end up going the vrbo,  condo route.  very easy.

places to stay:  there a zillion condo options.  when i go the condo route, i like to be as close as possible to canyon lodge.  sierra megeve and 1849 are across the street from canyon lodge and are my favorites.  the austriahof lodge is old, but in a great spot.  the restaurant in the hotel is great.  the free gondola to the village is awesome.  you do not need a lift ticket , to ride the gondola.  but it stops running at 5.  take it to town for early dinner and then bus or taxi back.

in the village there are a few hotels, including the westin. staying close to the village is great if you want to go out at night, shop, etc  the village is the quaintest area.  lots of shops, restaurants, etc.  and the free gondola is right there.  i don't stay at the westin, but i  think they do something weird with their reward system and black out that hotel.  a buddy who stays there, said he had to fight with them, to get them to honor his points. :shrug:  

mammoth mountain inn, directly across the street from the main lodge.  not in town.  great to stay at, if your sole focus is skiing.  you are a 10 minute ride to town. free town bus goes every 20 minutes.  i believe they have small shuttle that serves all of the mammoth properties.  there is one restaurant there, the yoddler.  go do the shotski!

juniper springs is at eagle lodge and is quite nice.  timeshare style condos.  studios up to 3 bedrooms.  slightly removed from town.  it's on the bus route and they definitely have a shuttle that will take you wherever.  eagle lodge is the smallest of the 3 lodges.

old town mammoth has tons of condos and some good hotels, to really crappy hotels.  the best western is probably the best of them.  free bus goes everywhere.  and there is a free nighttime trolley as well.

tamarack lodge.  off the beaten path.  nice, but removed from everything.

places to eat.  giovanni's for pizza.  nice monday happy hour.  blue, also in old town mammoth, slightly upscale.  austria hof, mentioned above.  great bavarian food.  white bark, the westin's  restaurant is pretty good.  sushi rei in the village.  mammoth brewery, in the village.  burgers, in the village.

ski rentals can be had at any of the lodges.  there are also places in town.  footloose in the best. and black tie will come to you.

lift tickets.  liftopia.com and getskitickets.com are your friend for discounted lift tickets.  caveat:  you can not change your dates, once purchased.

best bars on the mountains are at the mill and tusks at main lodge.  if the outpost is open, head out there.  easily one of favorite places to go, while skiing.

i can go on and on.  let me know if you want any tips on the mountain itself.  

that was fun to type up. now, i need to plan my next trip!  when are you going?  corn hole?  

from the airport you have a couple options.  mammoth taxi, i strongly suggest, calling ahead to book them.  there will probably not be taxis at the airport.  the airport is miniscule.  another option is the free shuttle bus.  it is operated by mammoth properties and goes to all 4 of their main properties.  you can hop on and go to the village stop and then go to your lodging.  or to whichever stop is closest to where you end up staying.  there is no uber.  yet

the free bus system is great.  i drive up there, park my car and rarely drive once i'm in town.  take this into account if you end up going the vrbo,  condo route.  very easy.

places to stay:  there a zillion condo options.  when i go the condo route, i like to be as close as possible to canyon lodge.  sierra megeve and 1849 are across the street from canyon lodge and are my favorites.  the austriahof lodge is old, but in a great spot.  the restaurant in the hotel is great.  the free gondola to the village is awesome.  you do not need a lift ticket , to ride the gondola.  but it stops running at 5.  take it to town for early dinner and then bus or taxi back.

in the village there are a few hotels, including the westin. staying close to the village is great if you want to go out at night, shop, etc  the village is the quaintest area.  lots of shops, restaurants, etc.  and the free gondola is right there.  i don't stay at the westin, but i  think they do something weird with their reward system and black out that hotel.  a buddy who stays there, said he had to fight with them, to get them to honor his points. :shrug:  

mammoth mountain inn, directly across the street from the main lodge.  not in town.  great to stay at, if your sole focus is skiing.  you are a 10 minute ride to town. free town bus goes every 20 minutes.  i believe they have small shuttle that serves all of the mammoth properties.  there is one restaurant there, the yoddler.  go do the shotski!

juniper springs is at eagle lodge and is quite nice.  timeshare style condos.  studios up to 3 bedrooms.  slightly removed from town.  it's on the bus route and they definitely have a shuttle that will take you wherever.  eagle lodge is the smallest of the 3 lodges.

old town mammoth has tons of condos and some good hotels, to really crappy hotels.  the best western is probably the best of them.  free bus goes everywhere.  and there is a free nighttime trolley as well.

places to eat.  giovanni's for pizza.  nice monday happy hour.  blue, also in old town mammoth, slightly upscale.  austria hof, mentioned above.  great bavarian food.  white bark, the westin's  restaurant is pretty good.  sushi rei in the village.  mammoth brewery, in the village.  burgers, in the village.

ski rentals can be had at any of the lodges.  there are also places in town.  footloose in the best. and black tie will come to you.

lift tickets.  liftopia.com and getskitickets.com are your friend for discounted lift tickets.  caveat:  you can not change your dates, once purchased.

best bars on the mountains are at the mill and tusks at main lodge.  if the outpost is open, head out there.  easily one of favorite places to go, while skiing.

that was fun to type up. now, i need to plan my next trip!  when are you going?  corn hole?  
This is great stuff! I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions. Thanks! 

Pffft how would you know?

Best time of year for snow?

Best time of year for snow?
Heh. Have a Mammoth pale blue shirt. The only reason I know it is because a girl in D.C. told me "You are the finest looking white boy" while I was wearing it. I'll never forget the compliment. Sometimes a nice comment moves mountains. 

Never been or skied the place. Never skied anything but Tahoe, frankly. Just sayin'.  

If your talking Mammoth lakes CA I built a speck house in 1981 300 yards from chair lift 3.   Been a while since I've been there though.  I do know that if you ski a run with a guys name-like "Daves Run" it means a guy named Dave died on it.  i do remember a run called the rock shutes or something like that.  I came close to them naming that run after me.  Gambled & played pool at Pea Soup Andersons-downtown Mammoth.  if wrong mammoth I apologize.

Lived there for 2 years, great little town.  World class mountain obviously but the real surprise, summer there is just as good.  Outstanding hiking and lakes to explore.  That area and Tahoe might just be 2 of the prettiest areas on earth.  

If your talking Mammoth lakes CA I built a speck house in 1981 300 yards from chair lift 3.   Been a while since I've been there though.  I do know that if you ski a run with a guys name-like "Daves Run" it means a guy named Dave died on it.  i do remember a run called the rock shutes or something like that.  I came close to them naming that run after me.  Gambled & played pool at Pea Soup Andersons-downtown Mammoth.  if wrong mammoth I apologize.
Dave lived

he’s 103!

Dave lived

he’s 103!
That’s named after Dave McCoy the founder of Mammoth mountain.  Back in the day when I lived there I became good friends with his nephew Matty.  

One cool little nugget, on 395 coming up to Mammoth from the south about 10 miles before you get there is a little old abandoned house all by itself (left hand side of the road).  That’s actually where they started Mammoth (1940s if I remember correctly).  

That’s named after Dave McCoy the founder of Mammoth mountain.  Back in the day when I lived there I became good friends with his nephew Matty.  

One cool little nugget, on 395 coming up to Mammoth from the south about 10 miles before you get there is a little old abandoned house all by itself (left hand side of the road).  That’s actually where they started Mammoth (1940s if I remember correctly).  
yep.

i met dave a few times on the mountain.  he's a super cool dude

Starting to zero in on Austrian hof. Seems to be the most reasonable and good location. Liftopia has a 2 day lift+rentals for 300.  I do like the option black tie offers for pants and jacket rentals, though. Do all of the rental places offer that? I don't live near any ski resorts so I don't own any gear and only ski every few years. 

Also, I saw where you get a free lift pass on the day you arrive if you fly in from Denver on United, which is cool. Can you ski as late as you want? Lift passes good all day? 

Also, I'm not a really experienced skier. I'm alright and go back East every couple years but obviously nothing major there. Is there an area of the mountain I should stay on when skiing, being a fairly inexperienced skier? 

Starting to zero in on Austrian hof. Seems to be the most reasonable and good location. Liftopia has a 2 day lift+rentals for 300.  I do like the option black tie offers for pants and jacket rentals, though. Do all of the rental places offer that? I don't live near any ski resorts so I don't own any gear and only ski every few years. 

Also, I saw where you get a free lift pass on the day you arrive if you fly in from Denver on United, which is cool. Can you ski as late as you want? Lift passes good all day? 

Also, I'm not a really experienced skier. I'm alright and go back East every couple years but obviously nothing major there. Is there an area of the mountain I should stay on when skiing, being a fairly inexperienced skier? 
Is a massive mountain (some might even call it Mammoth) so there are lots of runs for all levels.  If your an intermediate level then I’d suggest the area called Lincoln mountain.  Chair 15 runs up the heart of that area.  Chair 22 is on the back side of that is super fun too.  

i've done the fly and ski same day.  it's fun to get in a few turns in the afternoon.  when do you land? the mountain is open until 4

you can go anywhere on the mountain.  if you're at canyon lodge(austria hof)  you have perfect terrain right out your door.  chair 17 is a beginner chair.  8 and 16 have a wide variety of intermediate runs, with a few advanced.  you can also do everything off chairs 7 and 4.  chairs 5 and 12 and 14 are probably my favorites.  only the top and the top of lincoln mountain are the really gnarly areas. the mill is at the bottom 2 and 10

i'm not sure about clothing rentals, but i'm pretty sure that the mountain, doesn't offer it.  you can get a bib, pair of pants, whatever on amazon for 40 bucks.

i've done the fly and ski same day.  it's fun to get in a few turns in the afternoon.  when do you land? the mountain is open until 4

you can go anywhere on the mountain.  if you're at canyon lodge(austria hof)  you have perfect terrain right out your door.  chair 17 is a beginner chair.  8 and 16 have a wide variety of intermediate runs, with a few advanced.  you can also do everything off chairs 7 and 4.  chairs 5 and 12 and 14 are probably my favorites.  only the top and the top of lincoln mountain are the really gnarly areas. the mill is at the bottom 2 and 10

i'm not sure about clothing rentals, but i'm pretty sure that the mountain, doesn't offer it.  you can get a bib, pair of pants, whatever on amazon for 40 bucks.
Thanks! 

Is a massive mountain (some might even call it Mammoth) so there are lots of runs for all levels.  If your an intermediate level then I’d suggest the area called Lincoln mountain.  Chair 15 runs up the heart of that area.  Chair 22 is on the back side of that is super fun too.  
Um, no, not even close.  First of all, Chair 22 is not on the backside of Lincoln, it goes straight up the face. And from what I've read in this thread about flapgreen's ability, "not a really experienced skier", then advising him to hit Lincoln Mountain is the internet at its best/worst.  Should he try the Avalanche chutes to the right?  Good luck with that.

If they want to head over to chair 15 (Eagle Express), then take chair 8 and keep going left, following clearly defined intermediate trails and he will enjoy it.  But that is nothing close to going to the top of (and down) Lincoln Mountain.

Flap's leaning towards staying at Austrian Hof, right by Canyon Lodge, and a good choice, but Lincoln Mountain is not where he should be skiing. It's nearby, but getting down it as an intermediate will get super sketchy, to say the least.  And btw, 15 (Eagle Express) isn't skiing the "heart" of Lincoln Mountain.  If they do want to go to the top of Lincoln, they're better off going down the backside, not the face.  If you want to hit Lincoln Mountain, it's Chair 22, and follow the lift right back down.  Trees and chutes and gloriousness.  Or take the Avy chutes to the right.  Great stuff.  But that is not for recreational skiers.

There is a reason Chair 22 has signs at the lift warning people "No Easy Way Down", experts only, etc..  Intermediate-type trails can be found towards the back of Lincoln Mountain (not the "heart"), if you meander down towards chair 9 and 15, to the left side if you're facing it -- but NOT the face.  Just make sure you pick the right runs if you go up Chair 22 and plan on heading down an easier way.

Another choice for him would be to take Canyon Express and just take Roller Coaster (head right) down to the The Mill for lunch and beers; cool spot to hang out and easy to get to. Kids love that route, especially Lower Dry Creek.

Chair 8 and Canyon Express are best for what he's looking for, not Lincoln Mountain.  You might as well tell him to go to the top, which maybe he could do and find his way down something like Cornice or the backside.  Views are incredible, just make sure you know the easiest way down.  Chair 23 to the backside is a better way to go up to a high point and see  absolutely incredible views and then check out areas most people never see -- the backside of Mammoth.  Again, ask workers how to get to The Outpost.  A great spot on the backside for lunch, beers, whatever.  Chill, without the crowds.  And you can take one lift from there (Chair 13), to get to the main lodge.  It's super easy, clearly defined, and it's only two more lifts from there (Chair 1, then down "Stump Alley" to Chair 10/Gold Rush Express which brings you to The Mill for another beer maybe).  Go up Chair 10 and you can enjoy plenty of different, intermediate runs right back home to Canyon Lodge/Austria Hof . . . easy cruisers the whole way.  See the whole mountain, without Ski Patrol picking you up on the way..

It's simple, ask ski patrol or lift-ops, Flap.  Trust me, the face/heart of Lincoln Mountain is not the spot to choose if you are indeed an intermediate skier and/or are with kids.  Mammoth is a big mountain, you'll have fun either way, tons of stuff to ski, just ask around and the workers/locals there are very helpful and they'd rather not scrape you off the "heart" of Lincoln Mountain.

EDIT: If you do go down the face of Lincoln/Chair 22 or the Avalanche Chutes to the right, PLEASE duct tape a GOPRO on your forehead and post it here.  That would get a million likes.

They're apparently getting hammered right now.  Something like a foot a day for the last week.

Give me an update when you get back. I’d love to get up there. 

14 days on the gnar, so far
How often is it powder vs. wet? I've avoided Mammoth over the years due mostly to what a pita it is to get to if you don't live in CA and fear of the cement.

@Apple Jack

It’s good most of the season. It’s always going to be Sierra cement.  But when it’s cold, 9 degrees right now, it’s as good as anywhere in the country.  And when they get snow, they get a lot of snow. 7-11 feet at the bottom of the hill, over the last week. They haven’t gotten an accurate measurement from the top yet. My guess, 15’+. In 5 days.  And June mountain, it’s sister hill, got even more snow. 

Where do you live?   And kicking horse, ain’t exactly on the beaten path...just sayin. ;)   but I really want to go up there!

@Apple Jack

It’s good most of the season. It’s always going to be Sierra cement.  But when it’s cold, 9 degrees right now, it’s as good as anywhere in the country.  And when they get snow, they get a lot of snow. 7-11 feet at the bottom of the hill, over the last week. They haven’t gotten an accurate measurement from the top yet. My guess, 15’+. In 5 days.  And June mountain, it’s sister hill, got even more snow. 

Where do you live?   And kicking horse, ain’t exactly on the beaten path...just sayin. ;)   but I really want to go up there!
Yeah, I follow their snow totals every winter, just not at all a fan of deep wet snow. Nearly destroyed every ligament in both knees in two feet at Kirkwood a few years ago. Since then I have avoided the Sierras.

I'm in DC. Going into Calgary and then 2-3 hours drive. The high Friday is expected to be 1. :lmao:  We're going to talk in a couple hours about eating the lodging we've already paid for or getting them to let us apply it another weekend, and rebooking elsewhere.

Meh. Bundle up and go rip!!

it was just as cold in deer valley when we were there for New Years. Keeps the noobs off the hill

Meh. Bundle up and go rip!!

it was just as cold in deer valley when we were there for New Years. Keeps the noobs off the hill
JFC man, go. It was below zero all three days and aside from occasional cheek burn, it was totally fine. This has to be one of the great places in the universe. Utterly ####### awesome in every way. Get there before the ####### do. GO.

Apple Jack said:
JFC man, go. It was below zero all three days and aside from occasional cheek burn, it was totally fine. This has to be one of the great places in the universe. Utterly ####### awesome in every way. Get there before the ####### do. GO.
So, you liked it? ;)

Man, I’ve got to get up there!  I want to heli up there too. I went skiing at a local, SoCal, joint today.  4 lifts. I had forgotten how much vertical and steeps this little joint had!  Any day on skis is a good day! 

So, you liked it? ;)

Man, I’ve got to get up there!  I want to heli up there too. I went skiing at a local, SoCal, joint today.  4 lifts. I had forgotten how much vertical and steeps this little joint had!  Any day on skis is a good day! 
We hung out with the heli guides a bit in the mornings drinking coffee while they waited for their group. They meet in the lobby of the lodge where we stayed. The helicopter couldn't fly on Saturday because it was so cold the hydraulic fluid was too viscous. And they came back early on Friday due to one of the skiers getting frostbite. Did I mention it was cold?

ALERT!!  

currently slotted to go up 3/2-3/8.  I’m buying the first beer

Just got back, still dumping.  Slated for another 3 feet the next 3 days, go check their website.

Users who are viewing this thread