What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAGA hats/clothing plus politically related apparel discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can totally see how a person could equate MAGA to veterans...................if it was 1975.

Or if they'd been watching "First Blood" on repeat for the last month.

Moron?    I don`t know..I know some pretty good men and woman who are tatted up.
Yeah, I’m no tattoo guy myself, but I think they’re quickly becoming socially acceptable. I personally know plenty of highly respected professionals with full sleeve tattoos, chest, back, and leg tattoos  

Basically, I think it’s only taboo now to have face, neck and/or hands — in other words, the three places professional attire can’t cover. 

I can totally see how a person could equate MAGA to veterans...................if it was 1975.

Or if they'd been watching "First Blood" on repeat for the last month.
Yeah I think equating a maga hat to a Vietnam vet wearing the Vietnam hat demeans those veterans who have already been unreasonably demeaned. 

What? I'm confused. Are you saying vets are brave for wearing the gear or brave because of their service? 

I think either way your statement is... misguided. If I see an old guy wearing his armed forces hat, I'll likely thank him for his service.  MAGA gear? Leave 'em alone. Neither require bravery on the part of the wearer. 
2 seperate statements.  I think very highly of both.   I usually thank vets for their service and am very grateful for them.  I am very proud of MAGA wearers as they gave us Trump and we avoided a Hillary disaster.  It is brave for them to wear it because of all the hateful morons who can't stand Trump.

Yeah, I’m no tattoo guy myself, but I think they’re quickly becoming socially acceptable. I personally know plenty of highly respected professionals with full sleeve tattoos, chest, back, and leg tattoos  

Basically, I think it’s only taboo now to have face, neck and/or hands — in other words, the three places professional attire can’t cover. 
Correct and I said full sleeves and or a neck tat.  And obviously there are exceptions but I'm just giving you my first impression when I see folks all tatted up like this.

This an offshoot from a discussion in The Trump Years thread following the confrontation of a MAGA hat wearing HS kid and his friends with a Native American Vietnam vet at the Indigenous People's March yesterday in DC. In case you missed here's a link to what happened and a short but not complete video.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4867293/maga-students-mock-indigenous-protester-covington/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalnews

How do you feel or what is your opinion of those who wear MAGA hats and other wearing apparel in public? This is what Tim said in the other thread:

Obviously one has the right to wear such clothing, but the purpose seems beyond just a statement of support for the President to be confrontational and aggressive which  IMO often seems the intent. And some view it as tacitly supporting racism in this country towards immigrants and Muslims.

Please discuss and try to be respectful to differing opinions so this is thread is not shut down by the mods.
I think MAGA hats are a lame attempt at a response to the Obama apparel that was around the first few years of his tenure.  

We have free speech and so folks have the right to wear the hats, but choosing to wear them in urban populated areas on either coast especially is asking for confrontation as they are extremely offensive and are a symbol of the most hated President by the majority  in our nation’s history.

Thunderlips said:
I think MAGA hats are a lame attempt at a response to the Obama apparel that was around the first few years of his tenure.  
Yea, Obama really played up that he and his followers against the rest of the world rhetoric.

Hope and change.

It's incredible how divisive this guy was, constantly attacking his opponents, the media, his friends, his appointments.

Worst ever. 

I don’t mind the maga hat, but the “I’d rather be Russian than a democrat” T-shirt coupled with a maga hat with some American flag warm up pants rubs me the wrong way. 

Yea, Obama really played up that he and his followers against the rest of the world rhetoric.

Hope and change.

It's incredible how divisive this guy was, constantly attacking his opponents, the media, his friends, his appointments.

Worst ever. 
I mean, did he have to be black the whole time?

Anyone near Brooklyn or other hipster zones? I imagine there are MAGA hat wearing, handlebar mustache having dudes on unicycles out there now.
I live in hipster central, Williamsburg (Greenpoint is about 150 feet away so I claim dual citizenship.) Folks wear lots of hats ironically around here. But MAGA would be the equivalent to...wearing a hat with the N-Word? Dunno if that’s the best equivalent, but like just saying it wouldn’t be clever or funny or snarky. It’d be saying “I’m saying I’m racist af.”

I live in hipster central, Williamsburg (Greenpoint is about 150 feet away so I claim dual citizenship.) Folks wear lots of hats ironically around here. But MAGA would be the equivalent to...wearing a hat with the N-Word? Dunno if that’s the best equivalent, but like just saying it wouldn’t be clever or funny or snarky. It’d be saying “I’m saying I’m racist af.”
Yeah, maybe MAGA hats will get picked up after he's out and the country starts to heal. Or maybe they'll always be too socially radioactive that they can't be used as an ironic accessory/behavior. Thanks for the field report @BobbyLayne  :thumbup:

It mean I probably disagree with that person on lots of topics, including but not limited to politics, food, cultural arts, and probably economic theory. 

It also means they are proud of their views and want others to know where they stand just by looking at them. So I’m going to avoid conversation of any kind (even small talk) because there’s a good chance the MAGA wearer will want to turn most things into a political/cultural discussion. 

To me it means somebody is putting themselves out there without anyone asking them to do it.   Foisting their politics into any and all social interactions.  They know the racial undertones.  They know that it's a flashpoint for some.  Just like kneeling for the anthem, they don't care that it pisses off some people.  

It mean I probably disagree with that person on lots of topics, including but not limited to politics, food, cultural arts, and probably economic theory. 

It also means they are proud of their views and want others to know where they stand just by looking at them. So I’m going to avoid conversation of any kind (even small talk) because there’s a good chance the MAGA wearer will want to turn most things into a political/cultural discussion. 
Music too.  I'm not really into Dierks Bentley or Marshall Tucker too much.  

Yeah, maybe MAGA hats will get picked up after he's out and the country starts to heal. Or maybe they'll always be too socially radioactive that they can't be used as an ironic accessory/behavior. Thanks for the field report @BobbyLayne  :thumbup:
Guy in my church owns a production company that shoots mainly commercials. I remember last winter they were doing a project & he put up posts on FB, IG & Twitter asking if anyone had a red MAGA hat they could borrow for a shoot. I asked him later if he found one, he just laughed & said “naw, had to go in another direction.”

We have free speech and so folks have the right to wear the hats, but choosing to wear them in urban populated areas on either coast especially is asking for confrontation as they are extremely offensive and are a symbol of the most hated President by the majority  in our nation’s history.
Extremely offensive? Good grief. And hated? I dunno. Both things seem over the top. 

Extremely offensive? Good grief. And hated? I dunno. Both things seem over the top. 
Oh no, make no mistake, he's hated.  I think he's a scumbug traitor who enlisted a foreign government to get him elected (or rich), he's now helped sweep a journalist's murder and dismemberment under the carpet, mocked disabled people and gold star families, and bragged about sexual assault, left thousands of Puerto Ricons to die.  That's not Republicans.  That's just him.  I hate McConnell more though.  Because he knew exactly what he was doing with Garland, and he did it anyway.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own MAGA stuff .......... I think people who do want to be bold, they want to be outspoken and make a statement and get attention and cause a bit of controversy because the left has tied the word/letters MAGA  to everything anti-Trump

that's their choice to that, as it is with people who wear anything comparable

we can list a LOT of things that's potentially offensive to liberals and conservatives alike - but in the end everyone has a right to wear whatever they want in most settings - I think the best response is to get over it, don't be so offended and don't name call and hate because of something you disagree with and have only an opinion about

I don't own MAGA stuff .......... I think people who do want to be bold, they want to be outspoken and make a statement and get attention and cause a bit of controversy because the left has tied the word/letters MAGA  to everything anti-Trump

that's their choice to that, as it is with people who wear anything comparable

we can list a LOT of things that's potentially offensive to liberals and conservatives alike - but in the end everyone has a right to wear whatever they want in most settings - I think the best response is to get over it, don't be so offended and don't name call and hate because of something you disagree with and have only an opinion about
I think most here would agree with that.

I think most here would agree with that. 

maybe vagina hats offend .... maybe pro-abortion, pro-American, US Flag hats, pro-Hillary hats, Gun and NRA hats,  LGBT hats offend, BLM hats  ........... I'm sure a lot of people are offended by a lot of things

why is MAGA such a big things right now? media - we're told to hate MAGA, we're told what those wearing MAGA believes when the truth very well might be something different ........ its a manufactured hate of 4 letters and its crazy to watch the frenzy like what happened yesterday with the reported Catholic MAGA young men and what we now see today as nothing at all really like was reported.

maybe vagina hats offend .... maybe pro-abortion, pro-American, US Flag hats, pro-Hillary hats, Gun and NRA hats,  LGBT hats offend, BLM hats  ........... I'm sure a lot of people are offended by a lot of things

why is MAGA such a big things right now? media - we're told to hate MAGA, we're told what those wearing MAGA believes when the truth very well might be something different ........ its a manufactured hate of 4 letters and its crazy to watch the frenzy like what happened yesterday with the reported Catholic MAGA young men and what we now see today as nothing at all really like was reported.
Because Trump rallies are nothing but huge pep rallies honoring hatred and racism. And that's where you see the hats.  At one time, the confederate flag wasn't a sign of bigotry either.  But flying one over your trailer today is sending a clear message on what your beliefs are.  Same with the MAGA hats.

I don't inherently disagree with you on these points.  A person certainly can choose to wear this attire and nothing should happen to that person because of that choice. But, I find it 1) weird to wear the what is essentially the apparel of a political figure (I found it equally weird to see somebody wearing an Obama shirt or the like); and 2) I find it incredibly unlikely the person's motive in wearing the apparel isn't, at least in part, to inflame others with opposing viewpoints. 

I view it similar to somebody wearing a Jason Varitek jersey in the right field stands of Yankee Stadium.  Ideally, nothing should happen to that person but I find it hard to believe that person's intentions isn't to inflame those around him.  

Calm down, Chomsky. The initial video, objectively speaking, made the kid look like a #####. It's incredibly unlikely that there was some coordinated effort by mass media to manufacture some narrative.  If that were the case it's unlikely that the mass media would be acknowledging he contradictory videos like they have been the last 24 hours.  

Calm down, Chomsky. The initial video, objectively speaking, made the kid look like a #####. It's incredibly unlikely that there was some coordinated effort by mass media to manufacture some narrative.  If that were the case it's unlikely that the mass media would be acknowledging he contradictory videos like they have been the last 24 hours.  
CNN did a 5 minute video piece this morning telling the opposite side of the story.  This false narrative that the media is out to get anyone who supports Trump is a classic cade of paranoia. Which makes sense because Trump is one of the most paranoid men on the planet.

Because Trump rallies are nothing but huge pep rallies honoring hatred and racism. And that's where you see the hats.  At one time, the confederate flag wasn't a sign of bigotry either.  But flying one over your trailer today is sending a clear message on what your beliefs are.  Same with the MAGA hats.
that's your opinion on hatred and racism and it all tied to Trump and MAGA, I see liberals as the haters and racists and sexists so now what?

I'm not upset Zow - in fact, it amazes me still how a 15 second clip or even an image released the right way by media can turn the feelings and views and ideas of 1/2 the nation

perhaps even MORE important is that what was said yesterday is what will resonate in peoples minds ........ people will reference the punk kid in a MAGA hate disrespecting a native American weeks and months from now .... whether it was really true or not. That is powerful man - and if the media does that with a lot of things IMO

that's your opinion on hatred and racism and it all tied to Trump and MAGA, I see liberals as the haters and racists and sexists so now what?

I'm not upset Zow - in fact, it amazes me still how a 15 second clip or even an image released the right way by media can turn the feelings and views and ideas of 1/2 the nation

perhaps even MORE important is that what was said yesterday is what will resonate in peoples minds ........ people will reference the punk kid in a MAGA hate disrespecting a native American weeks and months from now .... whether it was really true or not. That is powerful man - and if the media does that with a lot of things IMO
I'm not certain I'm following the bolded.  Which feelings/views/ideas were turned? 

Again, my understanding of this is that a few minute clip went viral because, on its face, it objectively looked like the kid was being a jerk.  I don't think the video can reasonably be reported any differently. Then, when lengthier videos came out which fleshed out the broader story, the media appeared to report that as well.  So, what malevolent action did the media take here and how did that action mold minds?

This an offshoot from a discussion in The Trump Years thread following the confrontation of a MAGA hat wearing HS kid and his friends with a Native American Vietnam vet at the Indigenous People's March yesterday in DC. In case you missed here's a link to what happened and a short but not complete video.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4867293/maga-students-mock-indigenous-protester-covington/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalnews

How do you feel or what is your opinion of those who wear MAGA hats and other wearing apparel in public? This is what Tim said in the other thread:

Obviously one has the right to wear such clothing, but the purpose seems beyond just a statement of support for the President to be confrontational and aggressive which  IMO often seems the intent. And some view it as tacitly supporting racism in this country towards immigrants and Muslims.

Please discuss and try to be respectful to differing opinions so this is thread is not shut down by the mods.

I think a lot of true colors were shown in that thread,  and now you give them a chance to double down. 

pro tip

When you reach the bottom stop digging, 

A video that shows white high school students in Make America Great Again hats and shirts mocking a Native American elder shocked the country, leading to widespread denunciations of the teens' behavior.

It was a moment in a bigger story that is still unfolding.

A new video that surfaced Sunday shows what happened before and after the encounter Friday in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington.

In the new video, another group taunts the students from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky with disparaging and vulgar language. The group of black men, who identify as members of the Hebrew Israelites, also shout racist slurs at participants of the Indigenous Peoples Rally and other passersby.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nathan-phillips-nick-sandmann-encounter-a-viral-video-shows-a-different-side/ar-BBSwz7n?ocid=spartandhp

Shocking, no thread on that.

A video that shows white high school students in Make America Great Again hats and shirts mocking a Native American elder shocked the country, leading to widespread denunciations of the teens' behavior.

A new video that surfaced Sunday shows what happened before and after the encounter Friday in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington.

In the new video, another group taunts the students from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky with disparaging and vulgar language. The group of black men, who identify as members of the Hebrew Israelites, also shout racist slurs at participants of the Indigenous Peoples Rally and other passersby.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nathan-phillips-nick-sandmann-encounter-a-viral-video-shows-a-different-side/ar-BBSwz7n?ocid=spartandhp

It’s been discussed thoroughly in the Trump thread.

What does it mean to me? Well, it tells me all I need to know.
To me it means you support a president who has been a lifelong bigot and misogynist who exploits xenophobia and turns Americans against each other. And that you want to broadcast that support.

Doesnt necessarily mean you also do those things. Doesnt have to, though. Your willingness to publicly support a President who does says plenty.

I'm not certain I'm following the bolded.  Which feelings/views/ideas were turned? 

Again, my understanding of this is that a few minute clip went viral because, on its face, it objectively looked like the kid was being a jerk.  I don't think the video can reasonably be reported any differently. Then, when lengthier videos came out which fleshed out the broader story, the media appeared to report that as well.  So, what malevolent action did the media take here and how did that action mold minds?
where is the apologies to those MAGA hat wearers? I didn't see any did you ?

the first things reported are what people remember - example, people still think Trump caged kids even though its absolutely fake news but the images sent out are what people remember

another example is Kavanaugh .... 1/2 this country will always see him as sexually assaulting a woman when literally everything points to him NOT doing that, even a 400+ page FBI investigation. Mall shooting of the black teen ........ many people remember that story as police shooting wrong person, when in fact now we know more about the story and that victim wasn't innocent after all?

it happens literally every day .......... and true part of it is perspective but people often believe what they see and hear if it echo's their own views. When liberal people saw the clip/pic of that kid smirking at the native American they WANTED to believe it was MAGA/hate showing just like they figured ........ truth is, it wasn't that at all. We all do that, its harder and harder to read/watch news and know if its real, partially real or mostly fake :(   I'm guilty too sometimes of doing it

where is the apologies to those MAGA hat wearers? I didn't see any did you ?

the first things reported are what people remember - example, people still think Trump caged kids even though its absolutely fake news but the images sent out are what people remember

another example is Kavanaugh .... 1/2 this country will always see him as sexually assaulting a woman when literally everything points to him NOT doing that, even a 400+ page FBI investigation. Mall shooting of the black teen ........ many people remember that story as police shooting wrong person, when in fact now we know more about the story and that victim wasn't innocent after all?

it happens literally every day .......... and true part of it is perspective but people often believe what they see and hear if it echo's their own views. When liberal people saw the clip/pic of that kid smirking at the native American they WANTED to believe it was MAGA/hate showing just like they figured ........ truth is, it wasn't that at all. We all do that, its harder and harder to read/watch news and know if its real, partially real or mostly fake :(   I'm guilty too sometimes of doing it
1. Apologies? From whom? I think the way the initial video was portrayed was fair.  It would have been really bad if the media didn't also report the later information that came out that certainly changed the way the situation appears to have gone down, but suggesting an actual apology when there wasn't an initial ill-will is comparable to suggesting a  prosecutor should apologize to a defendant if a jury acquits that person at trial. 

2. Literally everything does not point to Kavanaugh not having sexually assaulted somebody as alleged.  It's certainly debatable whether the evidence is substantial or meets another particular legal standard, but obviously there is at least some evidence to suggest he may have done it (though the testimony of the alleged victim). It's worrisome that this point goes overlooked. 

There are 2 threads currently discussing that subject.

I'm going to blackdot this post for the next time Trump supporters complain about being treated unfairly.

Funny how a hat can trigger so many people.  Just shows we are so much closer to major internal violent conflict than many people want to believe.  

1. Apologies? From whom? I think the way the initial video was portrayed was fair.  It would have been really bad if the media didn't also report the later information that came out that certainly changed the way the situation appears to have gone down, but suggesting an actual apology when there wasn't an initial ill-will is comparable to suggesting a  prosecutor should apologize to a defendant if a jury acquits that person at trial. 

2. Literally everything does not point to Kavanaugh not having sexually assaulted somebody as alleged.  It's certainly debatable whether the evidence is substantial or meets another particular legal standard, but obviously there is at least some evidence to suggest he may have done it (though the testimony of the alleged victim). It's worrisome that this point goes overlooked.  
1. apologies from news media for making those young men look like something they wasn't - that's a start. Yes, media DID report the additional footage after calling those young men out based on a snippet of info. Can you imagine if FOXNEWS had done that to a group of black men, portraying them as racists and hate filled and instigators when they really wasn't ?

2. there was never any evidence. None. the FBI concluded - read the 400 page report. Like I said, media put into people minds what was real - and they still believe it on Kavanaugh because they WANT to believe it, it fits the picture that's been painted. Truth is something different though in both the above.

Funny how a hat can trigger so many people.  Just shows we are so much closer to major internal violent conflict than many people want to believe.  
a hat doesn't trigger IMO unless media really sets the stage for it ........... and if the media says "jump" at a certain hat, liberals will say "how high"

of course, the right does the same thing with other issues as well, all humans are impacted by what they see/hear and in todays world, what the media feeds, none of us are immune but this MAGA thing?    its manufactured hate and racism and created by the left and liberal media to generate responses and keep division going

if CNN went 1 week without negative Trump reporting I bet they'd lose 20% viewers ........ the people who tune in to CNN WANT to see anti-Trump, that's what they want. CNN delivers

a hat doesn't trigger IMO unless media really sets the stage for it ........... and if the media says "jump" at a certain hat, liberals will say "how high"

of course, the right does the same thing with other issues as well, all humans are impacted by what they see/hear and in todays world, what the media feeds, none of us are immune but this MAGA thing?    its manufactured hate and racism and created by the left and liberal media to generate responses and keep division going

if CNN went 1 week without negative Trump reporting I bet they'd lose 20% viewers ........ the people who tune in to CNN WANT to see anti-Trump, that's what they want. CNN delivers
If CNN went a week without negative Trump reporting they wouldn’t be a news channel any more, because he does several awful things every day, and not reporting on any of them for a week would be absurd. Whether they would lose any viewers would depend on what they replaced news coverage with, I guess.

Also, people are allowed to conclude that you are Ok with having a bigoted misogynistic corrupt buffoon as president if you wear a hat declaring your support for a having a bigoted misogynistic corrupt buffoon as president.  If you don’t like people accurately interpreting your messaging, send a different message.

What if instead of people chanting and banging drums in people's faces they just talked to each other.....

I have had tons of positive experiences with people of all races lately and it seems the media really just fans the flames of negative stories creating a more charged environment. The world is not full of hard line Trumpers and Liberals like they make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread