Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread

25 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

Bernie isn't going to pivot and it's unlikely Warren would or at least not much. Her policies she has endorsed aren't really pivotable. 

Not only that, Bernie isn’t going to trash Biden. He will state his differences. But it will be all about policy. 

That’s one thing I love about Bernie despite my disagreeement with him on so many issues: he’s all class. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Not only that, Bernie isn’t going to trash Biden. He will state his differences. But it will be all about policy. 

That’s one thing I love about Bernie despite my disagreeement with him on so many issues: he’s all class. 

Yeah but I bet it still gets reported as attacks on Biden.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, tommyGunZ said:

Yes.  Do NOT signup.  Somehow I got on Biden’s list serv, and was getting a handful a day.  I finally unsubscribed a couple days ago.  

LOL, at least it took them two days to find me.. Will persevere on the list til the event. The fact that they give you an option (in addition to Unsubscribe) to get fewer emails supports your experience about the volume!
Theme of the announcement/fundraising pitch is American values are under attack.

Edited by Mystery Achiever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

He's already trashing Biden.  Come on tim.  

Really wish there would be no polling until January. candidates need to tell us what they plan to do instead of play to poll numbers. 

Hoping Biden gets JEB'd before we get deep into the process. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

New head-to-head 2020 poll numbers in Pennsylvania via Quinnipiac:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%

Sanders 50%, Trump 43%

Warren 47%, Trump 44%

Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%

Harris 45%, Trump 45%

Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

2 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%

Sanders 50%, Trump 43%

Warren 47%, Trump 44%

Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%

Harris 45%, Trump 45%

Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44% 

Trump is 42-45 in PA. The weird thing is that Biden and Sanders have name recognition, but even against the lesser knowns Trump's number doesn't shift much, and certainly not near 50.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%

Sanders 50%, Trump 43%

Warren 47%, Trump 44%

Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%

Harris 45%, Trump 45%

Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

Well it's early. But you have to figure the top 3 would all do better on their own.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

If Sanders goes up against an incumbent - even Trump - the Democrats will lose like it’s 1984 again. 

Past time for a new generation of leadership.  No Sanders, no Biden, probably not Warren, no Hickenlooper.  If only there were a Candidate, of education and experience, say the Army, private business, and then executive government experience who was say, I don't know, maybe 39ish.  someone who is not roused by criticism, no matter how banal. someone with the intellectual curiosity to learn new things, maybe a language.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Trump is 42-45 in PA. The weird thing is that Biden and Sanders have name recognition, but even against the lesser knowns Trump's number doesn't shift much, and certainly not near 50.

Warren and below are considered within margin of error (4.2%). But there are probably enough "Anyone but Trump" votes in there to help offset name recognition a little.

1 hour ago, CentralPA said:

Biden 53%, Trump 42%

Sanders 50%, Trump 43%

Warren 47%, Trump 44%

Buttigieg 45%, Trump 44%

Harris 45%, Trump 45%

Trump 46%, O'Rourke 44%

IMO, Pennsylvania is the single most important state in 2020. The winner of Pennsylvania will be our next President.

3 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

He's already trashing Biden.  Come on tim.  

He hasn't gone after him personally he's been critical of his record. You know since that's how you differentiate yourself. If Biden is the nominee this will all be like a Sunday in the park 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NCCommish said:

He hasn't gone after him personally he's been critical of his record. You know since that's how you differentiate yourself. If Biden is the nominee this will all be like a Sunday in the park 

He sent out a fundraising email about Biden accepting "big $ contributions from lobbyists".  That's not about Biden's record.  He's painting Joe in the same light he painted HRC, suggesting he's been bought off by Wall Street.  It's an attack on Joe's character and values.  It's the kind of attack that when you make it, your supporters can't just turn on a dime in the general and get past it.  

Edited by tommyGunZ
ETA: I'm not a Biden supporter. Just hoping Bernie & Co. have learned from their 2016 idiocy.

15 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

He sent out a fundraising email about Biden accepting "big $ contributions from lobbyists".  That's not about Biden's record.  He's painting Joe in the same light he painted HRC, suggesting he's been bought off by Wall Street.  It's an attack on Joe's character and values.  It's the kind of attack that when you make it, your supporters can't just turn on a dime in the general and get past it.  

Let's follow this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/31/biden-launch-american-possibilities-pac/102363790/

Former Vice President Joe Biden will launch a political action committee called “American Possibilities” on Thursday, signaling he may still be considering a third presidential run

And:

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/06/joe-biden-pac-coporate-special-interest-money-pledge/

American Possibilities does not appear to have followed the Obama contribution ban either.

The PAC’s lobbyist donors include:

John Breaux, a former Democratic senator from Louisiana and senior counsel at Squire Patton Boggs, is registered to represent the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He’s also lobbied for health insurance giant UnitedHealth Group, Shell Oil, and aerospace company SpaceX.

Todd Webster, a senior vice president at Cornerstone Government Affairs, served as chief of staff to Biden’s successor, Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del. He lobbies for a handful of Fortune 500 companies, including Boeing, Citigroup, Google, Microsoft, and Cheniere Energy.

John Bentivoglio, a partner at Skadden Arps and former top Biden staffer on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is registered to lobby for Strongbridge Biopharma on drug-pricing issues.

Tonio Burgos, a longtime aide to New York Gov. Mario Cuomo who runs the lobbying and public affairs firm Tonio Burgos & Associates and has lobbied for Neurological Surgery, P.C.; his firm has also represented Team Select Home Care, a home health care provider.

That's pointing out Biden's actions. Not an attack. 

2 minutes ago, Gawain said:

It's absolutely an attack.  Bernie's campaign is implying that Biden is bought off by special interest money.  It has nothing to do with policy differences.  

4 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

It's absolutely an attack.  Bernie's campaign is implying that Biden is bought off by special interest money.  It has nothing to do with policy differences.  

Horse crap. One of the key elements of Bernie Sanders is:

Well, we don’t want any part of that. Bernie’s not going to have a super PAC.

But what we do want to build is a Super PACK of supporters — the small percentage of people who give a monthly contribution to the campaign.

Pointing out an explicit difference in Bernie's candidacy and the candidacy of another Democrat hopeful is no more an attack than pointing out the differences between Trump and Sanders on the environment. Biden's started a Super-PAC and accepted lobbyist donations. Biden kicked off his campaign thusly:

Mr Biden launched his campaign via video on Thursday morning. Hours later, the former six-term senator attended a fundraiser at the home of David Cohen, the chief lobbyist for Comcast, in a move that highlighted his urgent need to raise money after entering the field as the 20th contender, and particularly to demonstrate a strong fundraising total in the first few days. 

https://www.ft.com/content/7dcd9164-67d0-11e9-9adc-98bf1d35a056

If Biden didn't want this difference pointed out, he could have made different choices. Now, it's no different than the college tuition plans, the approach to the environment or the myriad differences between the candidates. Some take lobbyist money. Some don't.

Joe is not going to be the nominee. Listen to him speak. He’s obviously too old. Has difficulty putting coherent sentences together. The Dems have to have someone better. Poor Joe. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Because Joe does take money from big money donors and he is brazen about the access he allows them because of it. There is video of him telling a crowd when a guy raises lots of money for you if course you take his call and hear him out. Of course you do that's the problem. If he's so proud of it why shouldn't it be pointed out? Why shouldn't it be mentioned he took a lot of money from the credit card industry and wrote a bankruptcy bill that was very business friendly but not very consumer friendly?

Run on your record or run from it.

By the way the vast majority of Bernie voters, over 80%, turned out for Hillary. Might want to talk to Obama voters who switched sides that's where your grudge lies.

Edited by NCCommish
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Horse crap. One of the key elements of Bernie Sanders is:

Pointing out an explicit difference in Bernie's candidacy and the candidacy of another Democrat hopeful is no more an attack than pointing out the differences between Trump and Sanders on the environment. Biden's started a Super-PAC and accepted lobbyist donations. Biden kicked off his campaign thusly:

https://www.ft.com/content/7dcd9164-67d0-11e9-9adc-98bf1d35a056

If Biden didn't want this difference pointed out, he could have made different choices. Now, it's no different than the college tuition plans, the approach to the environment or the myriad differences between the candidates. Some take lobbyist money. Some don't.

I disagree.  Bernie can differentiate himself from Biden on policy without insinuating that Biden's policy positions are bought. 

To be honest I wasn’t aware of the fundraising email tommy referred to when I wrote that earlier; I had heard Bernie live very respectfully list his differences with Biden and I thought to myself, “this is the way to do it. So classy.” 

Criticizing a candidate based on who gives him or her  donations comes a little closer to the line for me, I have to admit- but it doesn’t cross it, not unless Bernie made a direct comment accusing Biden of corruption. That would very much surprise and depress me, and I don’t anticipate it. Still, what tommy described makes me a little bit uncomfortable. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong without pointing out where your support is coming from in comparison to your competitors if you think it's worth noting.  Never has been, never will be.  It's also true that Bernie is a millionaire now because of his book deal.  Feel free to point that out if it makes you feel better :lol: 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:10 PM, timschochet said:

Depends on the issue. Not on immigration. Not on spending. Not on taxes.

But on free trade? The role of NATO? Our international commitments? A rejection of Trump's isolationism and extremism? Maybe. I sure hope so.

Gonna be fun to watch the guy who voted for the $6 trillion dollar war in Iraq make the case against Trump’s isolationism.  Cue the Curb You Enthusiasm music. 

8 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

Gonna be fun to watch the guy who voted for the $6 trillion dollar war in Iraq make the case against Trump’s isolationism.  Cue the Curb You Enthusiasm music. 

It won’t be fun. It’s supremely easy to tear apart President Trump’s foreign policy, to demonstrate just how terrible it’s been. But it won’t be amusing in the slightest. Just sad and pathetic. 

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Widbil83 said:

Gonna be fun to watch the guy who voted for the $6 trillion dollar war in Iraq make the case against Trump’s isolationism.  

John Bolton is the National Security Adviser.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

Biden is all in on Pennsylvania. In addition to Saturday's Campaign Kickoff Rally at Philly Art Museum, his national HQ will be down the street in Center City. 
He's not my #1 at this stage, but I'd probably go over there if he gets the nomination.

1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Biden is all in on Pennsylvania. In addition to Saturday's Campaign Kickoff Rally at Philly Art Museum, his national HQ will be down the street in Center City. 
He's not my #1 at this stage, but I'd probably go over there if he gets the nomination.

Everybody knows that Pennsylvania is the key to beating Trump. The latest polling has Biden winning in Pennsylvania by 10 points. That’s the largest margin; next is Bernie by 7. 

If Biden maintains that 10 pt number then he will very likely be the nominee no matter what happens in the debates or between now and the start of the primaries. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, timschochet said:

If Biden maintains that 10 pt number then he will very likely be the nominee no matter what happens in the debates or between now and the start of the primaries. 

This Axios article talks about his strategy of acting like he already has the nom.

https://www.axios.com/joe-biden-early-win-2020-democratic-primaries-505726c9-ecd7-4fa3-970e-c99920287b42.html

It's also a theme in the NYT article I posted yesterday, on Biden-Sanders -- that limiting their "competitive universe" to each other suggests they're the only candidates and separates them.

Being afraid to have a discussion on where a politicians money is coming from or calling such a discussion foul territory is why this country cannot and will not make any progress.

2 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Being afraid to have a discussion on where a politicians money is coming from or calling such a discussion foul territory is why this country cannot and will not make any progress.

Who is doing either? 

8 hours ago, timschochet said:

Everybody knows that Pennsylvania is the key to beating Trump. The latest polling has Biden winning in Pennsylvania by 10 points. That’s the largest margin; next is Bernie by 7. 

Joe is the man!

Every election cycle merely confirms for me an ongoing indictment of our system, particularly our two party system.  Biden is a man of average intelligence, at best.  A man who is a plagiarizer and one beholden to special interests.  He is a weather vain, turning for convenience to align with the winds of the day.  he is not  a compass which knows true north regardless of location or the weather or whether it be day or night. If this is the best and brightest, a man to lead us, we are in trouble.  I say we go out and capture the best and brightest.  We net him or her like trying to capture an animal.  We drag them kicking and screaming to the oval office and we force them to do the job, since the best and brightest are too smart to want to do the job but under duress.  We have a few posters here who would do a far better job and we are a small community.

I say we sneak up on Maurile, conk him on his noggin, hog tie him, and drop him at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue before he knows what hit him.  Then we round up Henry Ford and Big Bottom and do the same to them as Maurile will need a cabinet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Every election cycle merely confirms for me an ongoing indictment of our system, particularly our two party system.  Biden is a man of average intelligence, at best.  A man who is a plagiarizer and one beholden to special interests.  He is a weather vain, turning for convenience to align with the winds of the day.  he is not  a compass which knows true north regardless of location or the weather or whether it be day or night. If this is the best and brightest, a man to lead us, we are in trouble.  I say we go out and capture the best and brightest.  We net him or her like trying to capture an animal.  We drag them kicking and screaming to the oval office and we force them to do the job, since the best and brightest are too smart to want to do the job but under duress.  We have a few posters here who would do a far better job and we are a small community.

I say we sneak up on Maurile, conk him on his noggin, hog tie him, and drop him at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue before he knows what hit him.  Then we round up Henry Ford and Big Bottom and do the same to them as Maurile will need a cabinet.

@Doctor Detroit for Secretary of Defense - not only because he's smart and a good fit but we also need a black guy.  It seems impossible but we may be more white (and definitely more male) than the current administration.  Thankfully we have @WetDream or one of us would have to bite the bullet to fill out that demographic.  I'M WILLING TO LEARN

• Laughing 1

4 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I'll take the VA no coercion neccessary. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NCCommish said:

But part of the appeal of my plan, to me at least, is that we get to net all these folks and drag them kicking and screaming to service.  Their objection is proof of their fitness for duty just as the opposite is certainly true for most cases.  How about we give you a head start of say 10 seconds and then we try to dart you with a hypodermic full of happiness?

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

But part of the appeal of my plan, to me at least, is that we get to net all these folks and drag them kicking and screaming to service.  Their objection is proof of their fitness for duty just as the opposite is certainly true for most cases.  How about we give you a head start of say 10 seconds and then we try to dart you with a hypodermic full of happiness?

Sounds like a plan.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, NCCommish said:

No doubt in my mind you would be tremendous. 

5 hours ago, timschochet said:

No doubt in my mind you would be tremendous. 

I appreciate that Tim. One thing you could count on is that would be all about giving the world class physical and mental/emotional care we owe to these men and women.

• Like 1

Anybody else watching this train wreck of a kick off rally? :lmao:  

8 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

One of the nice things about Biden is that conservatives can't really criticize him for most things, because Trump has already done it -- but worse.

He's the "Simpsons did it!" of presidential candidates.

• Like 1

Biden says he’s running as a bipartisan candidate who can bring people together?  The same guy who spent a good 6 years with Obama bashing and blaming Bush for everything and dividing the country?  Is this real life?

10 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

Biden says he’s running as a bipartisan candidate who can bring people together?  The same guy who spent a good 6 years with Obama bashing and blaming Bush for everything and dividing the country?  Is this real life?

Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!

33 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

Lol. Everything is a train wreck with you. Guy is the clear favorite for the nomination, he’s beating the pants off Trump in the states that matter (10 points + in Pennsylvania). Things could easily change, but right now Joe Biden looks like our next President- except not in your alternative reality. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

He did?  Have a link to him bashing Bush for everything anything he did that was divisive?

Note:  I’m not a huge Biden fan...I’d rather see Buttigieg get the nomination.  But yes I think Obama can work in a bipartisan manner because of his experience in Congress.

2 hours ago, Widbil83 said:

I was there. Other than the heckler police had there eye on from before the event started, and the cyclist riding around the perimeter blowing a whistle to disrupt things. it went quite well.
Good music, too. I did notice, from a strategy point that, every person who took the stage before Jill Biden (invocation, Pledge, Anthem, Choir, student organizer) was black or latina.ANd all female exc. for some of the choir,

• Like 2