What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Joe Biden Campaign Thread (6 Viewers)

I have to say this last response has been niggling at me. I think the reason is the inherent contradiction it presents. You seem to be saying, or acknowledging, that Trump says something different from what he does. Isn't that implicitly saying that he misleads or alternatively is uninformed about his own administration or the issues with which he he is dealing?

I guess this post occurred to me for a couple reasons yesterday:

- His throwdown with the reporter over his "threat" to lock down NY State.What a bizarre exchange, he had just said what he said the day before? The threat itself - it was one - was horrible, it caused panic in NY, it was a totally useless thing to do unless it was meant to somehow punish Cuomo or NY itself? I guess it's forgivable if one considers it was made ignorantly or capriciously?

- Biden right now is calling for a far more robust deployment of the Defense Production Act.

And Here.

And Here.

Getting back to our original discussion, this appears like the far more aggressive approach to me. I see nothing in anything Trump has done that could be called "aggressive" as to any of this.
Trump uses words to illicit actions.   He has been doing that for over four years.  When he says it’s under control, the action he is trying to illicit is a reduction in the level of panic. It’s similar to trying to tell somebody everything will be ok when things are looking grim.  

Two thirds of Michigan's coronavirus cases that has resulted in 727 deaths so far are in the 3 counties that surround the plant...
I didn't blame Trump for Florida's, SoFla's or Miami's cv19 problems. I'm just saying there were numerous, powerful influential people who came out of that meeting infected or exposed. Ivanka herself self-isolated. We haven't heard of any such from Biden's event.

Trump uses words to illicit actions.   He has been doing that for over four years.  When he says it’s under control, the action he is trying to illicit is a reduction in the level of panic. It’s similar to trying to tell somebody everything will be ok when things are looking grim.  
This like a truism, yeah people say things to communicate and get desired responses from people. - If you're trying to say that Trump uses words to generate a certain response from people, I certainly agree. Personally I think that a public official has a duty to inform the public accurately, safely, and without causing general harm. I don't think that happened here until it was forced.

- But my point above was just that Biden was calling it a crisis as early as 2/1, and indeed it was then. That's when action was needed. Over the course of the next 2 months he was aggressive in what he called for while Trump - as you say - was trying to elicit a certain reaction from people indicating no action was needed.

I say that acknowledging Tony's OP, I think it's a good point about actual actions and it's worth discussion, but at least at a minimum Biden's own words reflect someone who did acknowledge the seriousness of what was going on. Obviously not being president he certainly could not take action but he called for it numerous times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that you hate Biden (I'm not a huge fan, either, to be honest), but for every complaint you seem to have about him, Trump is far, far worse.  Biden has gaffes?  Trump sounds less educated than an average second-grade kid.  Biden has questionable conduct related to female staffers?  Trump's conduct is worse AND he brags about it.

What's your end game or goal here?
No end game really- just discussing politics in one of the few places I still can.  

Have you watched recent clips of Biden?  He can't complete a sentence.  It's not "gaffes," it's mental decline.  Sometimes he makes Trump look like Carl Sagan.  I would disagree on their behavior around women, not that either of them aren't appalling, or that I'm interested in having a debate on which is the least worse w/ women, but the way Biden touches/fondles young children isn't something I could see from Trump.  

The point is they are atrocious candidates.  Trump & Biden will both continue the drug war, the rigged healthcare system, endless war, mass surveillance, bailouts, corporate welfare.  It's an impossible choice if you care about those issues. 

Are there people at the margins that would be more harmed by a Trump presidency than a Biden presidency?  Probably, yes- but Biden will hurt many millions of people too, and put the left back to sleep.  They both represent the continuation of a failed system.   

Biden is the worst candidate to run against Trump.  In a sense it's the most 2016-like candidate they could possibly run- except this time the Dem inspires no one and is up against the incumbent.  Trump at the very least has a marketable brand and rabid support base that will go to war for him.  Biden's base, beyond diehard Blue No Matter Who liberals and Never Trump centrists, basically has to be shamed into voting for him.  They're going to hit Biden hard on the issues and his mental decline, because the Sanders campaign left it all on the table for the GOP, and it's going to work.  

Like I've said before, Biden & Trump are unacceptable to me.  Can't speak for anyone else but if that's the ticket I'm going 3rd party/Ind in November.  

I didn't blame Trump for Florida's, SoFla's or Miami's cv19 problems. I'm just saying there were numerous, powerful influential people who came out of that meeting infected or exposed. Ivanka herself self-isolated. We haven't heard of any such from Biden's event.
Please quit editing my posts when you quote them changing the context.  

Two thirds of Michigan's coronavirus cases that has resulted in 727 deaths so far are in the 3 counties that surround the plant where Joe's spittle was coming out of his mouth when he got into an argument with those workers.  Up close and personal.
You started the comparison.  You tried to make a case that Trump was being irresponsible.  You can look at the sheer numbers and dates to see which was worse without even looking at the type of event.  

In reality, in the real world - Biden, Bernie and Trump all suspended gatherings and rallies the same day.  March 11th.  But Trump!

Please quit editing my posts when you quote them changing the context.  
Tony I choose to respect you by responding to the substantive parts of your post. Ascribing "spittle" to Biden is neither here nor there for me, it just kills what I think is an otherwise decent point from you I'd like to address. Same with the emojis and stuff like that. Thanks.

You started the comparison.  You tried to make a case that Trump was being irresponsible.  You can look at the sheer numbers and dates to see which was worse without even looking at the type of event.  

In reality, in the real world - Biden, Bernie and Trump all suspended gatherings and rallies the same day.  March 11th.
I think the point of social distancing is a decent one, I grant you that. The claim about putting Detroit's numbers on Biden is ridiculous. Trump holding a private event at his own private club where people were and did in fact get infected is I think distinguishable. - And IIRC while perhaps it was the same day Trump followed the decisions by Biden and Sanders to suspend, he did not lead as usual.

Tony I choose to respect you by responding to the substantive parts of your post. Ascribing "spittle" to Biden is neither here nor there for me, it just kills what I think is an otherwise decent point from you I'd like to address. Same with the emojis and stuff like that. Thanks.
You are wrong.  CNN even called the exchange a "spat".  It's exactly what happened.

Where do you think the name came from?  And the CDC 6-foot rule along with Biden stuttering in his face all but guarantees droplet transmission.  Stop editing my posts just because you don't like them.  
Ok we will file that one somewhere between "speculation" and "baseless accusation." - Trump causes way more risk daily on that dais waaayyyy past the due date for claiming ignorance of social separation. - Compare Cuomo's pressers or any other official who is regularly doing these with others yards apart. Heck Kemp just did his presser on doing a lockdown for GA and the interpreter was practically in the azaleas.

As I recall, this strategy was also used by Joseph Goebbels in 1945, and by Saddam Hussein’s Press Secretary in 2003. 

I almost forgot about Hunter’s trips to China with Joe on Air Force 2.

@DonJR

The same media that has absolutely no problem with Hunter Biden taking in $1.5 billion directly from the Chinese govt has a problem that @realDonaldTrump may own $99 of a stock (through a mutual fund) that happens to make a drug he’s hopeful could work against the pandemic

https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/1247569146675474433?s=21
As someone who has grown to place an immense emphasis on sourcing information before presenting as fact, I can't help but notice how liberals have found comfort doing the exact opposite. Hear rumor, run with rumor, go silent when rumor quashed.

Widbil83 said:
Hunter Biden taking in $1.5 billion directly from the Chinese govt
There are some news reports unpacking this in the conspiracy thread, it's a total lie. Junior pleaded the 5th before a grand jury, gut duped (kind version) into a meeting with GRU and at least two other people ultimately indicted (Veselnitskaya, Manifort), then lied about it afterwards, and yet you listen to him. No idea why.

Widbil83 said:
@realDonaldTrump may own $99 of a stock
Sorry, where is this number coming from?

Btw I think I have indicated this is likely a dead end and not worth pursuing, but it's odd of Junior to throw this number out. Is there some sort of basis for it that we know of?

Sorry, where is this number coming from?

Btw I think I have indicated this is likely a dead end and not worth pursuing, but it's odd of Junior to throw this number out. Is there some sort of basis for it that we know of?
Surely you know how mutual funds work and understand that figure wasn't meant to be an exact dollars and cents the second he said it. It was to add emphasis to the likely magnitude between the two numbers he was comparing. You've been trying waaaaay to hard lately, take a break or something. 

Surely you know how mutual funds work and understand that figure wasn't meant to be an exact dollars and cents the second he said it. It was to add emphasis to the likely magnitude between the two numbers he was comparing. ...
Actually I see now he said “may.” So that’s a non-denial denial. Not that it matters, I don’t think that’s really driving Trump, but it’s odd for Junior to even bring up how much it is or might be.

Joe Biden told donors on a virtual fundraiser this afternoon that he and Bernie Sanders spoke just before the fundraiser started. Of dropping out of the race, Biden said "I know how hard that is." He adds that Sanders "created an entire movement. He put his heart and soul into not only running for president but the causes and issues he’s been dedicated to his whole life."
Bloomberg

Joe Biden‏ @JoeBiden 5h5 hours ago

I know Bernie well. He’s a good man, a great leader, and one of the most powerful voices for change in our country. And it’s hard to sum up his contributions to our politics in one, single tweet. So I won’t try to.

To Bernie and Jane, as friends, from Jill and me: You haven’t just run a political campaign; you’ve created a movement. And make no mistake about it, we believe it’s a movement that is as powerful today as it was yesterday. That’s a good thing for our nation and our future.

We know how hard this is. You have put the interest of the nation – and the need to defeat Donald Trump – above all else. And for that we’re grateful. But we want you to know: we’ll be reaching out. You’ll be heard by me. As you say: Not me, Us.

And to Bernie’s supporters: I know that I need to earn your votes. And I know that might take time. But I want you to know that I see you, I hear you, and I understand the urgency of this moment. I hope you'll join us. You're more than welcome: You're needed.

Together we will defeat Donald Trump. But we will also address the climate crisis. We will make college affordable. And we will make health care available to all. We will not just rebuild this nation – we’ll transform it. And I’m asking you to join me.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1247920853410615296

I think you mean elicit. Illicit is too funny

Joe Biden‏ @JoeBiden 5h5 hours ago

I know Bernie well. He’s a good man, a great leader, and one of the most powerful voices for change in our country. And it’s hard to sum up his contributions to our politics in one, single tweet. So I won’t try to.

To Bernie and Jane, as friends, from Jill and me: You haven’t just run a political campaign; you’ve created a movement. And make no mistake about it, we believe it’s a movement that is as powerful today as it was yesterday. That’s a good thing for our nation and our future.

We know how hard this is. You have put the interest of the nation – and the need to defeat Donald Trump – above all else. And for that we’re grateful. But we want you to know: we’ll be reaching out. You’ll be heard by me. As you say: Not me, Us.

And to Bernie’s supporters: I know that I need to earn your votes. And I know that might take time. But I want you to know that I see you, I hear you, and I understand the urgency of this moment. I hope you'll join us. You're more than welcome: You're needed.

Together we will defeat Donald Trump. But we will also address the climate crisis. We will make college affordable. And we will make health care available to all. We will not just rebuild this nation – we’ll transform it. And I’m asking you to join me.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1247920853410615296
The is really well done. 

For those still presuming the Bernie supporters are going to fall in line behind Joe Biden in a way they didn't do for Hillary, I suggest you take a look at the replies to Elizabeth Warren's "Thank You" to Bernie Sanders on Twitter. Hint: the responses aren't kind and even though her tweets are presumably seen first by her followers, there don't appear to be many who are coming to her defense.

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1247916514885414912

Here is a sampling...

• Thanks Liz just in time
  • oh so now you got something to say
  • Seriously just send me the ActBlue link to Warren's supporter
  • #### Joe Biden, and #### you
  • It's really offensive to refer to Senator Warren as a snake. Snakes have spines
  • #### all the way off
  • who are you again?
  • What do you call a progressive who only backs establishment Democrats?
  • Sounds pretty endorseable don’t he
  • I mean this with every fiber of my being (### you) and I WILL donate every effing dime I can afford to your primary challenger. Until then, I'm gonna ride your ### like a tick that won't let go.
And my personal favorite...

• You’re definitely the kind of person to kill a teammate for the sniper rifle and then miss every shot 

For those still presuming the Bernie supporters are going to fall in line behind Joe Biden in a way they didn't do for Hillary, I suggest you take a look at the replies to Elizabeth Warren's "Thank You" to Bernie Sanders on Twitter. Hint: the responses aren't kind and even though her tweets are presumably seen first by her followers, there don't appear to be many who are coming to her defense.

Here is a sampling..
Which proves absolutely nothing. 

Here is a sampling...

• It's really offensive to refer to Senator Warren as a snake. Snakes have spines
  • #### all the way off
  • who are you again?
  • I mean this with every fiber of my being (### you) and I WILL donate every effing dime I can afford to your primary challenger. Until then, I'm gonna ride your ### like a tick that won't let go.

• You’re definitely the kind of person to kill a teammate for the sniper rifle and then miss every shot 
The last one  :lmao:

Doesn't appear that way to me but this is one of those that definitely has too many variables (and time) to have a firm stance right now.
My thought is this: a whole lot of people really, really disliked Hillary. 

I didn’t recognize that in 2016. A lot of people tried to warn me (you may have been one of them) but I didn’t get it. Mea culpa. Joe Biden doesn’t generate that kind of passion. Even the folks that don’t like him, they don’t hate him. Nobody hates him, or loves him either. 

Its why I keep making the point that, while Biden would be a terrible candidate in most elections, in this one he has an advantage in that he makes the election all about Donald Trump. No one is going to vote for Biden; a ton of people are going to vote against Donald Trump. 

Here is a sampling...

• #### all the way off
  • who are you again?

Just to recap, the Warren campaign:

- pulled the contrived sexism stunt 2 weeks before Iowa, despite the fact Sanders pleaded with her to run for prez in 2016

- lost overwhelmingly in several primaries, hardly registering a blip and ultimately finishing 3rd in her own state, but stayed in race anyway while centrists/establishment consolidated

- went on celebrity tour of SNL, sat quietly on the sidelines while establishment concentrated behind Joe Biden with uncanny synchronicity; completely abdicated any notion of responsibility to the campaign representing the ideas she claimed to believe in at a crucial point when she could have made a difference

- reportedly clutched pearls over Sanders campaigning in Massachusetts; personal vanity more important than principles

- stayed in the race with a dead campaign that voters had rejected, on the strength of a billionaire-funded "PERSIST" superpac by donor that gave money to Joe Arpaio

- found time to complain about 'bernie bros' being mean online; completely ignored sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden

Gee, why don't Sanders supporters like Warren?  Why don't they like the person whose only functional purpose was screwing Sanders and helping Joe Biden?  It's a huge mystery???

- pulled the contrived sexism stunt 2 weeks before Iowa, despite the fact Sanders pleaded with her to run for prez in 2016

- lost overwhelmingly in several primaries, hardly registering a blip and ultimately finishing 3rd in her own state, but stayed in race anyway while centrists/establishment consolidated

- went on celebrity tour of SNL, sat quietly on the sidelines while establishment concentrated behind Joe Biden with uncanny synchronicity; completely abdicated any notion of responsibility to the campaign representing the ideas she claimed to believe in at a crucial point when she could have made a difference

- reportedly clutched pearls over Sanders campaigning in Massachusetts; personal vanity more important than principles

- stayed in the race with a dead campaign that voters had rejected, on the strength of a billionaire-funded "PERSIST" superpac by donor that gave money to Joe Arpaio

- found time to complain about 'bernie bros' being mean online; completely ignored sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden

Gee, why don't Sanders supporters like Warren?  Why don't they like the person whose only functional purpose was screwing Sanders and helping Joe Biden?  It's a huge mystery???
Lord. 

The opponent is Trump, not Warren.

You seem to bounce from thread to thread, trashing almost everything democratic, but it's all destructive.

The real foe is Trump.  Period. Full stop.

If Biden is the candidate, he's head and shoulders above Trump and a far better choice.

Fine.  You or someone else may have preferred Bernie.

But this whole butt-hurt whining, to me, is making LITERALL making good the enemy of perfect.

Vote third party, it's a vote for Trump.  Stay at home, it's a vote for Trump.  

ANYONE who votes for Trump over Biden really has to do a reality check as to what their values really were in the first place.

Lord. 

The opponent is Trump, not Warren.

You seem to bounce from thread to thread, trashing almost everything democratic, but it's all destructive.

The real foe is Trump.  Period. Full stop.

If Biden is the candidate, he's head and shoulders above Trump and a far better choice.

Fine.  You or someone else may have preferred Bernie.

But this whole butt-hurt whining, to me, is making LITERALL making good the enemy of perfect.

Vote third party, it's a vote for Trump.  Stay at home, it's a vote for Trump.  

ANYONE who votes for Trump over Biden really has to do a reality check as to what their values really were in the first place.
What part of Joe Biden supporting the Iraq War, mass incarceration, drug war, bank bailouts, Patriot Act and pharma/insurance/weapons lobbies makes you think I want him for president.  What part of him being an alleged rapist in obvious mental decline am I supposed to like.  I don't have an attachment to the Democratic party like you do. 

It's no problem for me to watch them lose to Trump again.  Because they don't represent my value system, and Trump doesn't either.  I'm not happy about it but that's what it is.  

If they think this little of left/populist ideas, not even radical stuff just basic humanity 101, then it's best we go our separate ways.  Until then I'll be looking to support a real opposition party.  

If the Warren campaign was as lifeless as you say, soundly rejected by the voters and propped up by big money, I can’t imagine an earlier exit or an endorsement helping Bernie very much.

Users who are viewing this thread