What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quotable quotes (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
I’ve found no more quotable human than Bertrand Russell. And no more salient quotes some days than this. Feel free to share some of your favorite quotes here in this thread.  I think I’m going to. I hope many are funny, poignant, or at least interesting. And I hope @Ditkaless Wonders will join us when and if he can. 

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a great ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness--that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what--at last--I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate this evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.
Bertrand Russell

Somewhere in the dustbin I have a copy of The Conquest of Happiness, and if I'm ever incarcerated I hope I can sleep with it and my copy of A History of Western Philosophy (and finish the remaining 92%).

I struggle mightily with literature and philosophy comprehension, but I know this guy hits the bulls-eye.

Sincerely,

Beer #x

Somewhere in the dustbin I have a copy of The Conquest of Happiness, and if I'm ever incarcerated I hope I can sleep with it and my copy of A History of Western Philosophy (and finish the remaining 92%).

I struggle mightily with literature and philosophy comprehension, but I know this guy hits the bulls-eye.

Sincerely,

Beer #x
Excellent.  

Share some quotes.  His, someone else’s, the old lady you grew up down the street from who had wisdom. Whoever. 

But this last week it seems I have found myself looking beyond, or through, individual trees. At the dense, clustered woodland just behind them, where those great, nameless crowds patiently stand. It’s become a sort of complex, ultimate puzzle and keeps me fascinated. My eyes are twenty-twenty, or used to be, but of course I can’t unravel the tousled snarl of intersecting limbs, that mackled, cinder grayness. It’s a riddle beyond the eye’s solution. Impenetrable. If there is order in all that anarchy of granite mezzotint, that wilderness, It takes a better eye than mine to see it - Anthony Hecht

within a month the sleeving snows will come with cold, selective emphases, with massings and arbitrary contrasts, rendering things deceptively simple, thickening the twigs to frosty veins, bestowing epaulets and decorations on every birch and aspen. And the eye, self-satisfied, will be misled, thinking the puzzle solved, supposing at last it can look forth and comprehend the world. That’s when you have to really watch yourself - Anthony Hecht

Anyway, I should want you to know I have done my best, as I'm sure you have, too. Others are bound to us, the gentle and blameless whose names are not confessed In the ceaseless palaver. My dearest, the clear unquaried blue of those depths is all but blinding. - Anthony Hecht

One should not believe in a life that too easily can vanish - James Salter

“Sometimes you are aware when your great moments are happening, and sometimes they rise from the past. Perhaps it's the same with people.”  - James Salter

Love must wait; it must break one's bones - James Salter 

More light! More light! - Hecht

Last edited by a moderator:
I never locked them into my memory, but Kerouac's Dharma Bums was chock full for me...

-I don't wanta hear all your word descriptions of words words words you made up all winter, man I wanta be enlightened by actions.

-I felt free and therefore I was free.

-One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.

-One man practicing kindness in the wilderness is worth all the temples this world pulls.

She was beautiful; she was young; she was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ### I've ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world.

Well, since i just posted this last nite in the Political Forum.......(not really quotable, but worth memorizing)

David Foster Wallace:

...In the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship–be it JC or Allah, (or whatever)–is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough...Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you....Worship power, you will end up feeling weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to numb you to your own fear. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart, you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. But the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they’re evil or sinful, it’s that they’re unconscious. They are default settings.

One of the cleverest quotes i ever heard came from two-time Democratic presidential nominee Adlai Stevenson. If any of you remember Norman Vincent Peale, it's likely for his Power of Positive Thinking but, in the 50s, he was a leading Falwell/Robertson-type buttinsky preacher. He had apparently questioned Stevenson's beliefs so the candidate was asked about the castigations. His reply: "While I find the Apostle Paul appealing, I find the Apostle Peale appalling".

My two favorite quote machines are Dorothy Parker (she, not Tom Waits, is responsible for "i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy") and Kilgore Trout. I'll have to look up some of their bon mots for y'all.

The ladies were always impressed with this passage from "The Great Gatsby"

He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete.

“This is a world where everybody’s got to do something. You know, somebody laid down this rule that everybody’s got to do something. They got to be something. You know, a dentist, a fighter pilot, a narc, a janitor, a preacher, all that. Sometimes I just get tired of thinking of all the things I don’t want to do. All the things that I don’t want to be. All the places that I don’t want to go, like India, or to get my teeth cleaned. Save the whale, all that. I don’t understand that.”

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Of all the gin joints in all the world she has to walk into mine.

Bogart  in Casablanca

You don't understand, I could have had class, I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender.

Brando in On The Waterfront

Everybody has a game plan until they get hit in face.

Mike Tyson

Baptists never make love standing up. They’re afraid someone might see them and think they’re dancing.
– Lewis Grizzard

I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence.
– Lewis Grizzard

There's no point to any of this. It's just a... a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a quarter-pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moments where your laughter becomes a cackle... and I, I sit back and smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt.

-Troy Dyer

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Abraham Lincoln
I thought that was Yoda.
George Lucas incorporated a lot of quotes from historical figures into his scripts.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Torquemada

"Never tell me the odds." - General George Armstrong Custer

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" - Herman Goring

"I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further." - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters." - Nikola Tesla

I always love a good Oscar Wilde quote. 

I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.

Users who are viewing this thread