What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic leaders call for Omar to apologize for 'anti-Semitic tropes' (1 Viewer)

So now there is going to be a resolution rebuking Omar’s comments. 

I really object to this. AOC has argued that there is a double standard in that anti Muslim comments in the past have not been condemned. She’s certainly right, but I don’t care; I never care about double standards. I also believe that Omar’s comments have been offensive and deserve to be condemned, which they have been. 

But my problem with this whole thing is that we continue to ignore the root cause of Ms Omar’s comments, which are the grievances of the Palestinian people. Whether or not one believes that all of those grievances are justified , the fact is that they exist, and telling Omar to be quiet isn’t going to make them go away. Israel is our ally and that’s a good thing IMO, but over the last several years we have drifted into a situation in which we support the Israeli government unequivocally, and I don’t think that’s a good thing. 

But not a single resolution to censure or rebuke Trump? Jordan? Any number of others that have made statements that can be taken as even worse?
Again, that doesn’t bother me. Omar’s comments should stand on their own. jon mx has made your argument hundreds of times in this forum, and it has never made sense to me. 

I am disappointed by the cowardice of the dems on this, but not surprised. What a joke, you have people chanting Jews go home or JEW S A at Trump rallies and there has been a constant theme of antisemitism from tea party style republicans for years, yet the same Republicans who have been complaining about (((globalists))) for years are now crying crocodile tears about this. They don't actually care, this was entirely looking for a cudgel to beat down a liberal muslim, if it was not this they just would have found something else or forced something to happen from a narrative driven by Fox News. AIPAC is purely a political arm of a right wing Israeli Government, they do not actually care about incidences of antisemitism or making the lives of Jews better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a good thoughtful response from Pelosi:

https://twitter.com/KasieDC/status/1103738937284149248

Full video in tweet - excerpt: .@Kasie to @SpeakerPelosi: @IlhanMN “hasn’t apologized. Does she need to apologize?” Pelosi: “It’s up to her to explain, but I do not believe that she understood the full weight of the words.”
That would be fine and acceptable in some contexts, but this is the third or fourth time that she's been "educated" on the exact same thing.  If she didn't do anything wrong, then Pelosi should just say so directly.  If she did do something wrong, then it's part of a long-standing pattern and not an innocent mix-up.  Which is it?  (Hypothetical question for Pelosi, not you of course).

She’s anti-Semitic and outspoken.  This won’t be her last rodeo.
I don't believe she's anti-Semitic, and I don't see anything anti-Semitic in her comments. Her "all about the Benjamins" word choice was poor, and she acknowledged it and promised to learn from it. I don't see anything problematic in anything she's said since then.

Furthermore, this Jew says that everyone who has condemned her while letting far greater anti-Semitic sins pass without comment and/or tolerating or even supporting a man who retweeted Nazi propaganda during the campaign without apology and referred to Nazis marching through American streets chanting "blood and soil" and "Jews will not replace us" as "very fine people" can go **** Cheney themselves.

(not directing this at you jonessed just a general statement)

David French did back then and today. 

This reeks to high heaven of anti-Semitic drivel proffered by a naturalized Somali and her defenders on the Democratic side of the aisle. They all deserve to lose their elections. As French put it, it's "campus politics" come to Congress. 

He's right. I wouldn't want these people determining my future in the least. If this is what we're going to see in the future from the Democratic Party, I no longer see any need to be a registered independent nor an American should they be put in charge of me nationally.  

It's the only time I can recall I've felt like doing this: 

#MAGA

#### these people.  

eta* I disagree with myself here. This is out of exasperation.  

So Omar voted in favor of the anti-semitism, anto-Muslim, anti-hate  resolution but why did 23 Republicans vote against it? 

Hobrst question. 

So Omar voted in favor of the anti-semitism, anto-Muslim, anti-hate  resolution but why did 23 Republicans vote against it? 

Hobrst question. 
My guess is they're in voting districts where they don't think that'll be considered a bad thing. 

I'd bet it depends on the language of the resolution. You can slip a lot of crap into an otherwise well-meaning bill and people won't vote for it because of its wording or what it encompasses or entails.  

Yep. Sounds like a very broad resolution, including LGBTQ, meaning who the flipping hell knows what's offensive.  

"The addition of Latinos came under a section that stated, 'Whereas white supremacists in the United States have exploited and continue to exploit bigotry and weaponize hate for political gain, targeting traditionally persecuted peoples, including African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and other people of color, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, the LGBTQ community, immigrants, and others with verbal attacks, incitement, and violence.'" 

I've read part of the resolution, and I'd want no part of it.  

Ah yes LGTBQ. That would flip some people. Even if someone was against LGTBQ for religious reasons, I would hope they still would stand-up against hate directed towards anyone? That’s a pretty easy call if one is puts stock into the teachings of Jesus.

So it’s just the usual political BS and grandstanding from both sides?
Sounds like it. Sounds like twenty-two of them got their feathers ruffled because it wasn't limited or forceful enough. Massie (R-KY), the one who didn't vote for the earlier anti-Semitism resolution, sounds like a piece of work who believes that theories behind anthropogenic climate change are "hoax[es]" that deny the role of photosynthesis in climate irregularities. 

Mmm...hmmm...

I don't know. As for the bolded, I think these things generally work themselves out in the wash and that there's no real need for official resolutions to the contrary. I think you're right. There's a good deal of virtue signaling and grandstanding that goes on with stuff like this. Despite my little kick and spit a few paragraphs up, condemnations and resolutions like this strike me as very unnecessarily European, in a way, if that makes sense. It used to be that you didn't need formal resolutions and parliamentary procedures to condemn stuff like this, it was understood. 

Interesting piece on my main mujer Ilhan 

https://twitter.com/cbudoffbrown/status/1103988920746954752

New @TimAlberta : @IlhanMN says Obama’s “hope and change” was a mirage. Recalling the “caging of kids” and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch, she argues he operated within the same broken framework as Trump. https://politi.co/2TB3TiF @politicomag

Can we go ahead and make this the Ilhan Omar 🔥thread @toshiba?

Interesting piece on my main mujer Ilhan 

https://twitter.com/cbudoffbrown/status/1103988920746954752

New @TimAlberta : @IlhanMN says Obama’s “hope and change” was a mirage. Recalling the “caging of kids” and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch, she argues he operated within the same broken framework as Trump. https://politi.co/2TB3TiF @politicomag

Can we go ahead and make this the Ilhan Omar 🔥thread @toshiba?

Omar embraces the comparisons between the Squad and the Tea Party. Despite the obvious philosophical differences, the models are strikingly similar: a two-term president leaves office with unfulfilled promises to the ideological core of his party’s base; that core base is galvanized by the election of the other party’s president; two years later, in that president’s first midterm election, the energy of that core base helps the out-of-power party retake control of Congress.

What remains to be seen is whether Democrats follow the comparison to its natural conclusion, with the insurgent activist wing swallowing up the party’s establishment. It’s a thought that paralyzes lawmakers like Phillips—and animates those like Omar. “We look at the negative aspects of the Tea Party and not really at the part of them that spoke to the American people, that made them feel like there were people actively fighting for them,” she says. “There’s a resemblance there. A lot of us are not that much different in our eagerness to want to come here and fight for our constituents, fight for the American ideals we believe in.”
I've been making this same argument for the past couple of months.

I've been making this same argument for the past couple of months.
Here’s the main difference: at least so far, Nancy Pelosi has proved herself a far superior politician than John Boehner. 

It’s really an old story in politics: a political party uses a passionate, youth infused, populist grass roots movement to help win an election, and then struggles to control that same group once in power. I could offer dozens of examples. But the best politicians, and Pelosi is clearly one of them, know how to thread the needle. 

Here’s the main difference: at least so far, Nancy Pelosi has proved herself a far superior politician than John Boehner. 

It’s really an old story in politics: a political party uses a passionate, youth infused, populist grass roots movement to help win an election, and then struggles to control that same group once in power. I could offer dozens of examples. But the best politicians, and Pelosi is clearly one of them, know how to thread the needle. 
Pelosi just spent the last week being humiliated by Omar and the fringe of her own caucus.  

I agree with you that she has been doing a very good job so far this term, but this was a rough week for her.

Pelosi just spent the last week being humiliated by Omar and the fringe of her own caucus.  

I agree with you that she has been doing a very good job so far this term, but this was a rough week for her.
I'd say it was a 'tough' week for her, not a rough week. Ultimately, she pulled everyone together. Which is exactly what a good speaker needs to do. She has a big challenge ahead of her. This incoming freshman class wants to be heard and feel emboldened. Pelosi's job isn't to shut them up, it's to make sure she has everyone keeping their eye on the prize.

everyone keeping their eye on the prize.
It sounds more like they're running around in circles waving their hands in the air, babbling undergraduate nonsense about both environmentalism and foreign policy, and generally keeping as out of step with the American electorate as a first-year women's studies major would be interning with the NFL. If the prize is losing general elections because they're making their party look bad, they've been doing a wonderful job of it the past month.  

rockaction said:
It sounds more like they're running around in circles waving their hands in the air, babbling undergraduate nonsense about both environmentalism and foreign policy, and generally keeping as out of step with the American electorate as a first-year women's studies major would be interning with the NFL. If the prize is losing general elections because they're making their party look bad, they've been doing a wonderful job of it the past month.  
There was a huge (due to the blue wave) influx of young fresh congressmen and women only two months ago. There are obviously fundamental differences between the new progressives and the older moderates. Polosi is a master politician. If anyone can meld them all together, it's her. But time will tell. They do all have one thing in common that works in their favor. They know what Trump is and how desperately they need him out. And they should be smart enough to realize they won't accomplish that if they're divided.

timschochet said:

Here's the other main difference - @AOC.  While shes part of this "Squad", she's also willing and able to work with Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats. 

The Tea Party didn't have anyone like that.  She's acting as a bridge, and so far it's working much better than the Tea Party did.  For the most part.

People forget that the House is supposed to be full of populist rabble rousers.  That's what it's for.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/08/politics/ilhan-omar-criticizes-obama/index.html

Have to give it to her, she has some stones as Obama is usually untouchable. 
I think a lot of people with a conservative POV are of the mind that liberals hold up Obama as some near-infallible shining star. Like the left's Reagan. I dont believe this to be true. He has his fans for sure, but this lefty independent wasn't one of them. After buying into the hope and change in 2008, it quickly became apparent to me that I was duped. His presidency was highly disappointing IMO. Ilhan speaks the truth.

I think a lot of people with a conservative POV are of the mind that liberals hold up Obama as some near-infallible shining star. Like the left's Reagan. I dont believe this to be true. He has his fans for sure, but this lefty independent wasn't one of them. After buying into the hope and change in 2008, it quickly became apparent to me that I was duped. His presidency was highly disappointing IMO. Ilhan speaks the truth.
I agree with you completely. You may be one of the few to call him out or maybe I don’t see it often....seems many more outlandish claims like the post before  than honest ones like yours.  Good post. 

JuniorNB said:
I'd say it was a 'tough' week for her, not a rough week. Ultimately, she pulled everyone together. Which is exactly what a good speaker needs to do. She has a big challenge ahead of her. This incoming freshman class wants to be heard and feel emboldened. Pelosi's job isn't to shut them up, it's to make sure she has everyone keeping their eye on the prize.
What’s the prize?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/08/politics/ilhan-omar-criticizes-obama/index.html

Have to give it to her, she has some stones as Obama is usually untouchable. 
Wait, so now she’s anti-Muslim too?
At this point I expect to find out next week that her hijab is covering up the 666 tattooed across her forehead.

On the House floor today, @replouiegohmert characterized Omar's remarks as "what leads to a Holocaust."

"It has started... There's a problem with not calling out the kind of comments that start the ball rolling toward another Holocaust."

Definitely had his flaws.

-drone strikes

-rise of the deficit (though, there are considerations here given the economy as he took over)

-ACA overall (this one ends up on him...but as many conversations here have shown...how congress worked on that was pretty terrible)

I think he gets held up "on high" now is definitely in comparison to the man in office now...as well as once the GOP had the majority in congress how obstructionist they really were.  Many who complain about Trump's treatment seem to forget that part.

And yeah, from a progressive side, I can see criticism of him.

The only goal that should matter is getting this nightmare of a president out of office. That's what the 2020 election is about. 
While I agree, I am not convinced the Democrats will get it together with that single goal in mind enough to take back the White House.  You've got some Democrats already moaning about the fact that Bernie is running again, AOC is speaking out against moderate Democrats, and I am not sure it will stop there.  It's hard to imagine the eventual 2020 Democratic candidate making it to Election Day unscathed by their own side (relative to how much scathing usually happens over the course of election year when battling it out for the nomination). 

Users who are viewing this thread