What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic leaders call for Omar to apologize for 'anti-Semitic tropes' (2 Viewers)

When they make a sweeping claim that anyone who wears a hijib is anti-constitutional, then yes. You are a downright awful human being. She is well aware that her viewers are Trump's base and they are gullible and already lean towards thinking anyone who isn't white and Christian isn't a true American patriot. Pumping this obvious nonsense into their brains is evil. Just more hate and divisiveness spread around by the Trump side.
newsflash...hate is being spread on both sides. It was happening before Trump and will happen after Trump. Problem for you is you will need to find a new scapegoat. What side do you think jussie smollett is on? Would that be the Trump side? 

the echo chamber is on quite a roll, at the current time. 

newsflash...hate is being spread on both sides. It was happening before Trump and will happen after Trump. Problem for you is you will need to find a new scapegoat. What side do you think jussie smollett is on? Would that be the Trump side? 

Well in this case Pirro was brought up in the context of this topic.  Why deflect here rather than address that?

Oh Bulls***. This isn't a 'boff sides' matter.  There's only one side throwing brown babies in cages. Only one side making up lies about caravans and terrorists and rapists to scare gullible people like you into hating Mexicans. Only one side pushing a muslim ban. Only one side who's leader has been sued for refusing to rent to black people. Only one side who defends a guy who says white supremacists are fine people. Take your pathetic trolling somewhere else. 

Oh Bulls***. This isn't a 'boff sides' matter.  There's only one side throwing brown babies in cages. Only one side making up lies about caravans and terrorists and rapists to scare gullible people like you into hating Mexicans. Only one side pushing a muslim ban. Only one side who's leader has been sued for refusing to rent to black people. Only one side who defends a guy who says white supremacists are fine people. Take your pathetic trolling somewhere else. 
Sorry you are correct. There was no hate prior to 2016. It's all on Trump. Good lord. Wake up. 

Sorry you are correct. There was no hate prior to 2016. It's all on Trump. Good lord. Wake up. 
Of course there was. You and your ilk voted this clown in because of your hatred for anyone who looked differently than you. Not saying Trump invented hate. He just made it fashionable again and brought the closet haters out from under their rocks.

Of course there was. You and your ilk voted this clown in because of your hatred for anyone who looked differently than you. Not saying Trump invented hate. He just made it fashionable again and brought the closet haters out from under their rocks.
Talk about judging someone. You have no clue why I voted for Trump. None whatsoever. You are really embarrassing yourself. Lucky for you this is a liberal echo chamber. You already have the minions out in full force. 

Talk about judging someone. You have no clue why I voted for Trump. None whatsoever. You are really embarrassing yourself. Lucky for you this is a liberal echo chamber. You already have the minions out in full force. 
What are your thoughts on Pirro's statements about Omar? And Trump's statement that White Supremacists are fine people?  Answer those two questions and I'll let you know if I did, in fact, have a clue why you voted or Trump.

Take a look at this thread and board in general and tell me who is spreading the hate. 

What are your thoughts on Pirro's statements about Omar? And Trump's statement that White Supremacists are fine people?  Answer those two questions and I'll let you know if I did, in fact, have a clue why you voted or Trump.
Sorry...not going to bite on that. I don't answer to you. 

Why did you vote for Trump?
OK...I will play. Reason # 1-He was not Hillary Clinton. 

The racial stuff wasn't even a big deal during the campaign as far as the media. The lib media didn't even focus on that at the time of the election. 

You and I post in the Israel-Palestine thread (and Ren in his), not too much interest otherwise. But yeah it was one of OBL's two stated reasons for attacking NYC & DC in 2001, and it's been a continuing factor in increasing extremism, war and the danger of war in the mideast since the 1960s. Right now Israel has been running bombing raids in Syria, and Iran is near Israel's border. Meanwhile the US moves its embassy to Jerusalem, shuts down the Palestinian mission, CUTS OFF AID , and appears set on a one state solution and one that doesn't seem to provide for Palestinian interests. But hey don't worry about that, that's in the portfolio of Trump's son in law, who after all is a real estate developer.
In regards to the bolded: this was buried because of so many other stories, but it may be the single worst foreign policy move by President Trump. It’s stupid and vindictive and incredibly short-sided. 

Both Israel and the United States will suffer from the continuing radicalization of the Palestinan people as they are forced to live a terrible existence without hope of a better future. 

Since she will not be running in 2020, do you intend to vote for Trump again? If so what are your other reasons? 
Frankly this game of gotcha is really sad. It is none of your business why I vote for someone. But it is pretty bad that you get to assume I am racist if I don't explain myself to you. 

Frankly this game of gotcha is really sad. It is none of your business why I vote for someone. But it is pretty bad that you get to assume I am racist if I don't explain myself to you. 
Lol  Pretty rough start. Backed yourself into a corner already. Hope your second 60 posts go better for you.

Since she will not be running in 2020, do you intend to vote for Trump again? If so what are your other reasons? 
I have no idea who I will vote for. I wait to decide. I have voted for both parties here in Pa and nationally. I voted for Bill Clinton the first time around and Ed Rendell as well. If Trump is running against one of the far left extreme candidates he will get my vote(as it stands now). If he is running against Biden or similar then I will have to wait to decide. 

OK...I will play. Reason # 1-He was not Hillary Clinton. 

The racial stuff wasn't even a big deal during the campaign as far as the media. The lib media didn't even focus on that at the time of the election. 
Fair enough.

I did not like Clinton either.  I voted for Jill Stein - who was also a poor candidate - but I wanted the Green Party to get enough national votes to stick around.

But, I think the media did spend a bit of time on Trump's racist tendencies - particularly as it related to his descriptions of Mexicans.  I think it would have taken willful deafness to not have heard about Trump prior to the election.  Sadly - that describes most voters.

Excuse me, I am not playing gotcha nor am I assuming you are racist. I don’t know you and I think you must have the wrong guy. 

I asked you that question because in anothet thread we have been discussing the question of how much Hillary NOT  being the Democratic candidate will impact the upcoming election. So when you wrote that your number one reason for voting for Trump was he was not Hillary I thought it would be interesting to ask you the follow up. It was a serious attempt to engage you in discussion. Instead you got very defensive and say it’s none of my business. Fair enough but if you wanted me to believe your motives were racist, this response would be a good way to do it. 

I have no idea who I will vote for. I wait to decide. I have voted for both parties here in Pa and nationally. I voted for Bill Clinton the first time around and Ed Rendell as well. If Trump is running against one of the far left extreme candidates he will get my vote(as it stands now). If he is running against Biden or similar then I will have to wait to decide. 
Thank you. Not sure why you offered the first answer. 

Excuse me, I am not playing gotcha nor am I assuming you are racist. I don’t know you and I think you must have the wrong guy. 

I asked you that question because in anothet thread we have been discussing the question of how much Hillary NOT  being the Democratic candidate will impact the upcoming election. So when you wrote that your number one reason for voting for Trump was he was not Hillary I thought it would be interesting to ask you the follow up. It was a serious attempt to engage you in discussion. Instead you got very defensive and say it’s none of my business. Fair enough but if you wanted me to believe your motives were racist, this response would be a good way to do it. 
Maybe you should read the thread you are posting in and not bring topics from another thread into another one. 

Thank you. Not sure why you offered the first answer. 
Because I feel that is what you were doing. You were following a number of snarky replies from other posters with the same kind of question. It's also pretty sad that I have to prove I am not a racist to you or anyone else. There are millions of people that voted for Trump that are not racists. But it's ok to call them that now. 

Maybe you should read the thread you are posting in and not bring topics from another thread into another one. 
:lol:   Love that a guy with 60 posts is telling other people how they should post. Lose this alias and go wait out your suspension. Use the time to think about becoming a better person.

In regards to the bolded: this was buried because of so many other stories, but it may be the single worst foreign policy move by President Trump. It’s stupid and vindictive and incredibly short-sided. 

Both Israel and the United States will suffer from the continuing radicalization of the Palestinan people as they are forced to live a terrible existence without hope of a better future. 
It was buried because people aren't interested. The cancellation of the INF treaty was another major event that hasn't gotten much discussion. But frankly serious policy discussion is almost impossible in this administration. National emergen.... oh Michael Coooo.... Chinese sex trafficking magnate sells foreign access to Maraaaa... etc.

- eta - Instead of completely mismanaging this kerfuffle by throwing bad language on top of bad language, it would have helped if Omar had done a filibuster about cutting off aid. But no, here we are. She's in the classic  :pokey:  with Trump, which he absolutely lives for and thrives off of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I feel that is what you were doing. You were following a number of snarky replies from other posters with the same kind of question. It's also pretty sad that I have to prove I am not a racist to you or anyone else. There are millions of people that voted for Trump that are not racists. But it's ok to call them that now. 
You are the one who keeps bringing race up...did Tim even mention race?

You are the one who keeps bringing race up...did Tim even mention race?
Instead of running to defend your liberal buddies why don't you read the thread? Tim inserted himself into a discussion about race. That is on this very page of posts. It's not that hard to pay attention. 

Instead of running to defend your liberal buddies why don't you read the thread? Tim inserted himself into a discussion about race. That is on this very page of posts. It's not that hard to pay attention. 
I have read the thread...the context of what Tim posted and asked this morning had nothing to do with race and you have brought it in twice.

Actually I did not. Other people insinuated that you might have supported Trump for bigoted reasons. You offered up the explanation that you voted for him in order to oppose Hillary. I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and asked you a very serious follow up question. That’s all. 

Definitely seems like some child who got suspended and thought it was unfair so he created an alias to come back and say 'if you want to suspend me, I'll show you punishable behavior".   Keep fighting the good fight buddy. You don't seem bitter at all.

Anyhow back to the theme of this thread: 

As I mentioned earlier, the first goal of conservatives is to get older Jews to switch to Republican: this would be politically significant, because despite the small number of Jews in this country we are heavily concentrated in a few states, and one of those is Florida. I am skeptical that this effort will succeed; most American Jews are liberal for very complex and historical reasons (I might get into this in my thread at some point) and they’re not going to switch over IMO. 

The second goal is to continue the effort to paint the Democratic Party as extremist, which will help Trump get re-elected. I don’t know if this will ultimately be successful either, but these young Democrats like Omar sure aren’t helping matters. 

Anyhow back to the theme of this thread: 

As I mentioned earlier, the first goal of conservatives is to get older Jews to switch to Republican: this would be politically significant, because despite the small number of Jews in this country we are heavily concentrated in a few states, and one of those is Florida. I am skeptical that this effort will succeed; most American Jews are liberal for very complex and historical reasons (I might get into this in my thread at some point) and they’re not going to switch over IMO. 

The second goal is to continue the effort to paint the Democratic Party as extremist, which will help Trump get re-elected. I don’t know if this will ultimately be successful either, but these young Democrats like Omar sure aren’t helping matters. 
I don't think either of these contentions about the potential for the cynical use of Omar/Tlaib/AOC are incorrect, but it doesn't change the actual charges of anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, both of which seem to arise from that certain segment of the campus left that Omar, Tlaib, and AOC seem to come from. 

I can just picture AOC hanging out in the student center with a kiffayeh draped around her neck, blathering about the injustice done to the PLO or some such rot.

I don't think either of these contentions about the potential for the cynical use of Omar/Tlaib/AOC are incorrect, but it doesn't change the actual charges of anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, both of which seem to arise from that certain segment of the campus left that Omar, Tlaib, and AOC seem to come from. 

I can just picture AOC hanging out in the student center with a kiffayeh draped around her neck, blathering about the injustice done to the PLO or some such rot.
I'm sorry, what's that now?

And the "I can just picture..." bit seems like a pretty underhanded rhetorical tactic me. What you can picture is irrelevant. I mean, I can picture the vast majority of conservatives in media and politics hanging out at a local cross-burning with a hood draped over their head blathering about the injustice done to white South African farmers or some such rot, but unless I have reason to believe it actually happened I know better than to say it about one of them.

I'm sorry, what's that now?

And the "I can just picture..." bit seems like a pretty underhanded rhetorical tactic me. 
I think there's no denying that the campus left has been pretty strongly critical -- to the point of vehemence that borders on anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism -- of, at the very least, Israeli foreign policy. 

"I can just picture..." is certainly not a political argument that deserves a whole lot of thought and hand-wringing. It's a personal thought of mine, and one I've seen a million times on campuses. Sometimes, we're allowed to shoot the #### about things that strike us and I can picture AOC virtue signaling on campus in exactly that way. It wouldn't be new for the intersectionalist movement to have done so. YMMV.  

I think there's no denying that the campus left has been pretty strongly critical -- to the point of vehemence that borders on anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism -- of, at the very least, Israeli foreign policy. 

"I can just picture..." is certainly not a political argument that deserves a whole lot of thought and hand-wringing. It's a personal thought of mine, and one I've seen a million times on campuses. Sometimes, we're allowed to shoot the #### about things that strike us and I can picture AOC virtue signaling on campus in exactly that way. It wouldn't be new for the interseconalist movement to have done so. YMMV.  
FYP. Neither opposition to the current Israeli regime nor anti-Zionism are anti-Semitism. I am a strongly opposed to the current Israeli regime, and their recent conduct along with my personal experiences during three trips to Israel has made me question my lifelong support for Zionism. And like I said, I'm Jewish and certainly not bigoted against my own people.

I disagree with the "I can picture" trick, I think it's irresponsible b/c it can be used to condemn basically anyone for anything, but that's just my opinion.

You keep raising this point, but college campus rhetoric doesn’t arise out of thin air. Sure the language is often extreme, ugly, and silly, but usually the issues involved are very real and quite serious. When I was going to college in the 80s, the main issue was Apartheid in South Africa. In the 60s, Vietnam. 

These students see an injustice and they react to it. We can criticize the way they react, and we should, but we’re ignoring the injustice. 

FYP. Neither opposition to the current Israeli regime nor anti-Zionism are anti-Semitism. I am a strongly opposed to the current Israeli regime, and their recent conduct along with my personal experiences during three trips to Israel has made me question my lifelong support for Zionism. And like I said, I'm Jewish and certainly not bigoted against my own people.

I disagree with the "I can picture" trick, I think it's irresponsible b/c it can be used to condemn basically anyone for anything, but that's just my opinion.
Constructive criticism of the current Israeli regime is not necessarily anti-Semitism, I'll surely grant you that. 

Whether anti-Zionism <> anti-Semitism is another issue entirely. Even the right debates that, with people like Norman Podhoretz insisting that anti-Zionism = anti-Semitism and somebody like Buckley arguing that it doesn't. 

Reasonable people can disagree. What I saw on campus and campuses around the time I went to school and during the times I went back was a different sort of rhetoric by the students regarding Israel's foreign policy. I always had the sneaking suspicion that if you scratched the itch a little bit, you'd find anti-Semitism, but that's me and my impression. 

You keep raising this point, but college campus rhetoric doesn’t arise out of thin air. Sure the language is often extreme, ugly, and silly, but usually the issues involved are very real and quite serious. When I was going to college in the 80s, the main issue was Apartheid in South Africa. In the 60s, Vietnam. 

These students see an injustice and they react to it. We can criticize the way they react, and we should, but we’re ignoring the injustice. 
Your points -- yours and Tobias's -- are both taken, but I have a hard time arguing on the side of the "injustice" that sees Hamas as its main political entity and that hides munitions factories under children's schools. The level of depravity the Palestinians display daily is frightening to a soul like mine.  

Far more offensive than Ms Omar’s comments, IMO, is her proposed “solution” to the Israeli-Palestinian dilemma. Like Netanyahu and President Trump, she opposes the two state solution that has been endorsed by every President for the last 40 years. Trump and Netanyahu’s “solution” is a powerful Israeli state with the Palestinians relegated to stateless status; perhaps they can go live in Jordan. Omar’s “solution” is the right of return for all Palestinians to the state of Israel with full citizenship and voting rights, which would allow them to take over and dissolve the current country: in other words an end to Israel. Neither of these proposals will do anything but guarantee years of more conflict; both of them threaten the security of the United States. 

So who is to blame for this rise in extremist attitudes on either side? Partly Hamas, for their 20 years of unequivocal terrorism. Partly Iran, for supporting Hamas and Hezbollah and trying to sow discord. Partly Saudi Arabia for competing with Iran to disrupt the peace process. And a big chunk of the blame goes to Israel for refusing to give up the occupied territories and attempting to fill them with Jewish settlers. 

But I also blame our government, and particularly AIPAC and the Republican Party. When the Clintons and later on Barack Obama furiously attempted to find avenues of negotiation and compromise, AIPAC and the Republicans savagely attacked them as anti-Israel at every turn. Obama wanted a two state solution and he was rebuffed. So now, instead of Obama, we get Omar spewing hateful rhetoric and calling for a far more radical solution. Well, what did you expect? 

Your points -- yours and Tobias's -- are both taken, but I have a hard time arguing on the side of the "injustice" that sees Hamas as its main political entity and that hides munitions factories under children's schools. The level of depravity the Palestinians display daily is frightening to a soul like mine.  
And again, Hamas is pure evil- but it wasn’t created out of thin air. 

In rhe middle of the Battle of Britain, Churchill referred to Hitler as “this product of monstrous injustice”- he was referring to the shameful way Germany was treated at the end of World War I. No matter how terrible the evil, there is almost always a root cause that good people tended to overlook. 

"I can just picture..." is certainly not a political argument that deserves a whole lot of thought and hand-wringing. It's a personal thought of mine, and one I've seen a million times on campuses. Sometimes, we're allowed to shoot the #### about things that strike us and I can picture AOC virtue signaling on campus in exactly that way. It wouldn't be new for the intersectionalist movement to have done so. YMMV.  
I've always been a bit confused by this.  How is vehement criticism of Israeli foreign policy anti-Semitic?  That's like saying criticism of Obama's foreign policy is racist.  Or are you saying people are opposing Israel's foreign policy because they are anti-Semitic and not because of actual opposition to the ideas or policies?

Far more offensive than Ms Omar’s comments, IMO, is her proposed “solution” to the Israeli-Palestinian dilemma. Like Netanyahu and President Trump, she opposes the two state solution that has been endorsed by every President for the last 40 years. Trump and Netanyahu’s “solution” is a powerful Israeli state with the Palestinians relegated to stateless status; perhaps they can go live in Jordan. Omar’s “solution” is the right of return for all Palestinians to the state of Israel with full citizenship and voting rights, which would allow them to take over and dissolve the current country: in other words an end to Israel. Neither of these proposals will do anything but guarantee years of more conflict; both of them threaten the security of the United States. 
It’s funny how a 1 State solution for Israel is rightist but a 1 State solution for Palestine is leftist. 

But overall you’re talking policy. The problem is Omar isn’t. She’s claiming people arguing for support for Israel are motivated by non-US allegiance and money.

I've always been a bit confused by this.  How is vehement criticism of Israeli foreign policy anti-Semitic?  That's like saying criticism of Obama's foreign policy is racist.  Or are you saying people are opposing Israel's foreign policy because they are anti-Semitic and not because of actual opposition to the ideas or policies?
Sure. I'm saying that there can be an element of anti-Semitism when the adjective of "vehemence" is applied.  Vehemence is, by quick definition, "marked by passion or strong feelings."

I guess the level to which you are passionate about Israel (assuming you are not from the Middle East) sort of calls into question one's motive. This is not to say that all that are passionate are anti-Semitic, but the likelihood seems to increase given an increase in passion. And sometimes, the passion against the foreign policy measures itself leads to a weird ascribing of bad motive to a people. 

In short, it's not an easy issue. I'm not arguing that criticism, even vehement, necessarily equals anti-Semitism. But I will say that I tend to question motive a lot more when the passion is there, but the personal stake isn't.  

What I meant is that Omar and Tlaibs harsh feelings about Israel and jews is ingrained into their thought process as part of their upbrining so we need to be tolerant of their feelings.
Everyone jumps on some poster for saying he voted for Trump because he wasn't Hilary and this barely gets touched? Says a lot about this place. 

Let me help you out @Summer Wheat. Replace "Israel" and "jews" with "Mexico" and "mexicans" or "Africans" and "blacks" and read your sentence out loud. Still something we should tolerate?

Seriously, that barely registers here? Sad and shameful.

Users who are viewing this thread