What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Kraft (yes, THAT Robert Kraft) charged with soliciting prostitution (3 Viewers)

Then I don’t believe you have reviewed my actual posts on that subject. 

Two people in this sting were arrested for soliciting sex with teenagers (including a likely fictional 14 year old)

One person arrested was trying to press a seventeen year old into prostitution   

This is a human trafficking sting. 

Human trafficking in this context is the use of women as sex slaves.  

If that all seems wrong to you, it’s the announcement by the police, which I linked. 
That's a different sting in a different county that happened 2 months ago.

From my perspective, that one did good work. This one, unless there are further details forth coming, looks like it embarrassed the heck out of a lot of rich and powerful consenting adults doing stuff with other consenting adults.

From my perspective, treating these two things as identical is harmful.

From my perspective, that one did good work. This one, unless there are further details forth coming, looks like it embarrassed the heck out of a lot of rich and powerful consenting adults doing stuff with other consenting adults.

From my perspective, treating these two things as identical is harmful.
I certainly apologize for linking an erroneous press conference. That should absolutely not be included in the discussion. Thank you for pointing that out. 

It also does not address the issue of human trafficking and sex slaves being integral to this particular bust. But I appreciate the heads up on that. 

The estimated average age for the first entry into the sex trade for women/girls in at least one study is fourteen

This is the statement that caused all of the kerfuffle.

HF, clearly you can see the problems with this statement. Had you said that the "average (I'll allow it even though I still say mode IMO) age of first exploitation for commercial sexual exploited children is 14" I wouldn't have had a problem with the statement. The thing is, you didn't. You applied this across ALL women sex workers. Which is incorrect and I know you know better.

We all make mistakes or misspeak from time to time. Own it and let's move forward.

From my perspective, treating these two things as identical is harmful
Does it concern you that these women were kept sleeping in the spa and had no independent transportation?

Just legalize it already.  

I think they should put traffickers in lock up and throw away the key.  Especially the pimps who groom troubled runaways and get them under control and into the life. I've seen more and more prosecutions and the shut down of Backpage helps. Other than runaways immigrants are most at risk.  Not just for this, but also forced servitude as housekeepers, horrible jobs on farms or meat processing plants, etc.  They take risks coming to America with the deals they made coming here.  Some of the people who smuggle them over are just evil.  

That being said many of the immigrants have limited career options in the US speaking almost zero English when they arrive.  Those coming from China know massage or nail salons are the best options.  They need to make money and this is one way.  Like I said.  Legalize it. I wasn't surprised at all of the ages of the parlor workers.

Kraft went back to back days, huh?

You can reread the host of posts I’ve made on this subject in this thread or not. 

The first said one study had pinned the age at fourteen.  I linked to this one.  I’ve addressed the numbers from other studies, from the links you’ve purportedly agreed with (including one that primarily addressed adult prostitutes and pinned the age at 19 while acknowledging that it may have skewed high because of the methodology), a DOJ study, one from Colorado Springs mentioned in other studies, etc. 
Honestly, I don't really think it matters what she it starts at, how many there are, whatever.

One child gets exploited, it's too many. Anyone under 18 is a child.

On the other end of it, consenting adults exchange money for sex and I have zero issues with that.

The to issues are intertwined and I honestly don't think they should be. Because they're 2 separate things. If we keep treating them as the same thing, we'll continue to be largely ineffective.

That's literally my point and only point.

This is the statement that caused all of the kerfuffle.

HF, clearly you can see the problems with this statement. Had you said that the "average (I'll allow it even though I still say mode IMO) age of first exploitation for commercial sexual exploited children is 14" I wouldn't have had a problem with the statement. The thing is, you didn't. You applied this across ALL women sex workers. Which is incorrect and I know you know better.

We all make mistakes or misspeak from time to time. Own it and let's move forward.
I understand that you’re very upset.  I didn’t actually misspeak and am quite confident in my numbers for a number of reasons.  Many of which I’ve addressed in here and are addressed in different links I’ve given.  Including a Colorado Springs study that indicates an average career length of five years, a DOJ study finding an average age of 15 at first exploitation, the fact that a high percentage of prostitutes experienced exploitation at a very young age even prior to officially joining the trade, etc.  

I get that you don’t like my numbers.  I do.  I understand you don’t agree with me despite having bo statistical data to provide me with that contradicts it.  We won’t agree.  Feel free to move on. 

I certainly apologize for linking an erroneous press conference. That should absolutely not be included in the discussion. Thank you for pointing that out. 

It also does not address the issue of human trafficking and sex slaves being integral to this particular bust. But I appreciate the heads up on that. 
So, you think the Kraft at Orchids of Asia includes sex slaves and trafficking?

Based upon what?

Honestly, I don't really think it matters what she it starts at, how many there are, whatever.

One child gets exploited, it's too many. Anyone under 18 is a child.

On the other end of it, consenting adults exchange money for sex and I have zero issues with that.

The to issues are intertwined and I honestly don't think they should be. Because they're 2 separate things. If we keep treating them as the same thing, we'll continue to be largely ineffective.

That's literally my point and only point.
Thanks.  I hear you and I don’t agree you on some points. 

Does it concern you that these women were kept sleeping in the spa and had no independent transportation?
It did. But then I see that the woman charged as the manager of this operation is servicing clients and sleeping at the spa.  It makes me question what story is being told. The story seems... incongruous.  Right now it looks like it's not trafficking, not sex slaves. 

The question of if these women chose to be there or had no choice is central to the issue. Just because the police that invested 5 months in this say that's the case doesn't mean it actually is. Do they have the evidence to prove it? Are they going to bust up some ring beyond just the spa managers? Or is this just some ladies choosing to do this because they can make more money doing this than their alternatives?

At this juncture, I lean towards the latter but I'll gladly switch my opinion if more comes to light indicating otherwise. I still think more is forthcoming, and haven't crystalized my opinion on it.

Do you think they came over here with the means to rent an apartment and buy a car? Could it just be economics? No different than 10 people living in a single apartment or house to save money? Or that a 2 hour commute each way after 10 hour shifts is even more exhausting?

What do you think about grooms sleeping in stalls at the racetrack? Most of them from Mexico.

I'm sure they all wish they were independently wealthy, married to a nice gentleman, spoke perfect English, could be on a fast track to be a doctor and didn't have to leave China to seek a better life for them and their children.  That is not the case for these women so they are doing what they have to in order to survive.

Again, if trafficked against their will or underage throw the book at 'em

Do you think they came over here with the means to rent an apartment and buy a car? Could it just be economics? No different than 10 people living in a single apartment or house to save money? Or that a 2 hour commute each way after 10 hour shifts is even more exhausting?

What do you think about grooms sleeping in stalls at the racetrack? Most of them from Mexico.

I'm sure they all wish they were independently wealthy, married to a nice gentleman, spoke perfect English, could be on a fast track to be a doctor and didn't have to leave China to seek a better life for them and their children.  That is not the case for these women so they are doing what they have to in order to survive.

Again, if trafficked against their will or underage throw the book at 'em
I think if the grooms were giving the horses HJs you’d feel differently. 

I understand that you’re very upset.  I didn’t actually misspeak and am quite confident in my numbers for a number of reasons.  Many of which I’ve addressed in here and are addressed in different links I’ve given.  Including a Colorado Springs study that indicates an average career length of five years, a DOJ study finding an average age of 15 at first exploitation, the fact that a high percentage of prostitutes experienced exploitation at a very young age even prior to officially joining the trade, etc.  

I get that you don’t like my numbers.  I do.  I understand you don’t agree with me despite having bo statistical data to provide me with that contradicts it.  We won’t agree.  Feel free to move on. 
Please post your data.

Last time I asked you to, you posted something that didn't support your claim.

If you actually provide solid data that women in sex work begin at 14 on average, I'll actually admit my thoughts were wrong about it.

Right now you're asking me to prove a negative, which is nothing but a straw man argument and again, a lawyer should know better.

Thanks.  I hear you and I don’t agree you on some points. 
That's fine man. We don't have to agree on everything. I just want the conservation to be based upon what we actually really and truly know, which unfortunately isn't particularly much.

Please agree with me on this though, to better combat sex trafficking, sex slavery, and to help children being exploited by these things it would be best to focus on that alone and to not conflate it with prostitution between consenting adults.  I have a suspicion that our nation is pretty split on the latter, but likely near 100% together on the former. And I'd love to support ways to reduce and combat trafficking, but when you bring in the other thing and treat it as the same, you have to understand that I can't necessarily support that. Does that make any sense to you?

While I have never been to a massage parlor, this thread has made me acutely aware that I likely contribute to an enormous amount of cases of exploration around the world.

Even simple things like buying a computer, getting gas for my car, purchasing a pair of sneakers, it seems like almost everything has some form of exploitation tied to it but many of us just ignore it because it is not local to us.

That being said I don't intend to change my ways of consumerism, but I will be much less likely to point fingers at others.

That's fine man. We don't have to agree on everything. I just want the conservation to be based upon what we actually really and truly know, which unfortunately isn't particularly much.

Please agree with me on this though, to better combat sex trafficking, sex slavery, and to help children being exploited by these things it would be best to focus on that alone and to not conflate it with prostitution between consenting adults.  I have a suspicion that our nation is pretty split on the latter, but likely near 100% together on the former. And I'd love to support ways to reduce and combat trafficking, but when you bring in the other thing and treat it as the same, you have to understand that I can't necessarily support that. Does that make any sense to you?
I don’t agree with you because I think you and I have different definitions of consent and of human trafficking.  Continuing to attempt to browbeat me and ask me the same questions over and over again, using premises and conclusions you pulled out of your intuition and oppositions you have to the best information we have, while admittedly incomplete, aren’t going to change my mind. I understand that you disagree with me.  I’m not required to tell you I agree with your position. 

It really disturbs me that the cops are throwing around the term "human trafficking" in regards to this incident, but have not charged anyone with human trafficking.  Maybe this is how it goes and a trafficking charge results later down the road.  I don't know.  I do know that it is insanely counterproductive to round up people they believe were "trafficked" and then turn around and stick them with a prostitution charge that could potentially debilitate them socially and economically. If they weren't victims of trafficking then it's just super ###### to throw that term around and conflate it with prostitution.  The more I read about this the more it just seems to stink all around. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/us/robert-kraft-trafficking-florida.html

From The NY Times.  

If the factual allegations made here are correct, this is human trafficking.  By definition.  And sex slavery.

The inspector reported her findings to the police. They would eventually learn that her suspicions were right: The women were not just employees: They were living in the day spa, sleeping on massage tables and cooking meals on hot plates in the back. Some of them had had their passports confiscated.

The inspector’s suspicions prompted a sprawling investigation across four Florida counties and two states — Florida and New York — over nearly eight months, resulting in the disruption of what authorities say was a multimillion-dollar human-trafficking and prostitution operation.

The sweep led to criminal charges last week against several rich, prominent men, including Robert K. Kraft, the billionaire owner of the New England Patriots; John Havens, former president and chief operating officer of Citigroup; and John Childs, founder of the private equity firm J.W. Childs Associates.

Beyond the lurid celebrity connection, however, lies the wretched story of women who the police believe were brought from China under false promises of new lives and legitimate spa jobs. Instead, they found themselves trapped in the austere back rooms of strip-mall brothels — trafficking victims trapped among South Florida’s rich and famous.

“I don’t believe they were told they were going to work in massage parlors seven days a week, having unprotected sex with up to 1,000 men a year,” said Sheriff William D. Snyder of Martin County, whose office opened the investigation. “We saw them eating on hot plates in the back. There were no washing machines. They were sleeping on the massage tables.”

The women were shuttled from place to place — not only to nearby parlors but also across the state, said Sheriff Snyder. Sheriff’s deputies in Orange County, Fla., became involved in the investigation when women from the state’s Treasure Coast region were traced back to the Orlando area.

Sheriff Snyder said he believed at least some of the women were working to pay off debt owed for what it cost to bring them to the United States. In some cases, the women’s passports were taken away. Traffickers cycled women in and out of parlors every 10 or 20 days, Sheriff Snyder estimated.

Yet making a trafficking case remains difficult, in part because the women who were victims may not want to cooperate with the police. Only one has been talking to deputies, Sheriff Snyder said. He had lined up about a dozen Mandarin interpreters, but many other women refused to speak and were let go with an offer of assistance.

“I would never consider them prostitutes — it was really a rescue operation,” the sheriff said, training his anger at the men whose demand for sex kept the massage parlors in business. “The monsters are the men,” he added.

In addition to arresting men ranging in age from their 30s to at least one in his 80s, the police charged several women who appeared to be overseeing the operation with racketeering, money laundering and prostitution.

Sheriff Snyder said investigators, who worked with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, estimated the trafficking ring to be a $20 million international operation. Men paid between $100 and $200 for sex, the sheriff said; between $2 million and $3 million has been seized in Florida, he said, including a safe stuffed with Rolex watches.

State Attorney Dave Aronberg of Palm Beach County, whose office leads a human trafficking task force with the F.B.I., said trafficking foreigners to work in places like massage parlors can be more difficult to root out than trafficking, for example, American girls who are recruited in person or online.

“They come from countries where the police are part of the problem, and they’re smuggled into the country,” Mr. Aronberg said.

Laura Cusack, a social worker in charge of the human trafficking prevention and education program at Place of Hope, an agency for foster children and trafficking victims in Boca Raton, said foreign victims were often threatened by traffickers in their home countries.

“They’re told by traffickers, ‘I’ve got people waiting for you,’” she said. When social workers urge victims like that to come forward to the police, they say, “‘No, you don’t understand. They’re trying to find my little sister back home. They’re trying to find my daughter,’” Ms. Cusack said.

Mr. Havens, the former Citigroup executive, was elevated to the post in 2011 by his longtime confidant, Vikram Pandit, Citi’s chief executive. The two became friends as senior executives at Morgan Stanley before they both left in 2005 to start Old Lane Partners, a hedge fund that was acquired by Citigroup two years later for $800 million. Both resigned from Citi on the same day in 2012, after the Federal Reserve indicated Citi was not healthy enough after the financial crisis to start paying more money back to shareholders.

Through a spokesman, Mr. Kraft, 77, denied engaging in illegal activity, and Mr. Childs in a statement to Bloomberg also denied the charges.
If the factual allegations made here are correct, this is human trafficking.  By definition.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It really disturbs me that the cops are throwing around the term "human trafficking" in regards to this incident, but have not charged anyone with human trafficking.  Maybe this is how it goes and a trafficking charge results later down the road.  I don't know.  I do know that it is insanely counterproductive to round up people they believe were "trafficked" and then turn around and stick them with a prostitution charge that could potentially debilitate them socially and economically. If they weren't victims of trafficking then it's just super ###### to throw that term around and conflate it with prostitution.  The more I read about this the more it just seems to stink all around. 
Yep. Unregulated black market services do not necessarily merit accusations of slavery or trafficking. I agree with the italicized and bolded and have two hopes: 

1. That slavery and/or/coupled with trafficking wasn't going on
  2. That the police stop implying that this went on if it didn't 
The authorities are trying to have it both ways; that is, they're implying really abhorrent things went on while coupling their implications with the absolute absence of any fact or action that would back these charges up. 

It seems cynical and dirty so far, and it does stink all around right now. 

Of course, there is always potential for this sting to turn out differently, more specifically, and more abhorrently than it has so far, so I'll wait -- but I'll wait skeptically.  

Please post your data.

Last time I asked you to, you posted something that didn't support your claim.

If you actually provide solid data that women in sex work begin at 14 on average, I'll actually admit my thoughts were wrong about it.

Right now you're asking me to prove a negative, which is nothing but a straw man argument and again, a lawyer should know better.
It's not worth continuing to debate this.  HF is a really smart dude, but any Stats 101 class could use this as a case study for evaluating the accuracy of reported statistics......and they would quickly pick these stats apart like you did.

This maniacal focus on debating a couple of stats is distracting from far more relevant issues in this thread.

I don’t agree with you because I think you and I have different definitions of consent and of human trafficking.  Continuing to attempt to browbeat me and ask me the same questions over and over again, using premises and conclusions you pulled out of your intuition and oppositions you have to the best information we have, while admittedly incomplete, aren’t going to change my mind. I understand that you disagree with me.  I’m not required to tell you I agree with your position. 
I was trying to find common ground while acknowledging that we probably disagree on some aspects. I was hoping to have a conversation. Apparently that is impossible with you. 

Please kindly excuse my attempts to have rational discourse. Feel free to continue to have no understanding of basic statistics, while being wholely self assured that you and you alone have all the answers. I'll be placing you on ignore and moving in with my life. Good day.

Yep. Unregulated black market services do not necessarily merit accusations of slavery or trafficking. I agree with the italicized and bolded and have two hopes: 

1. That slavery and/or/coupled with trafficking wasn't going on
  2. That the police stop implying that this went on if it didn't 
The authorities are trying to have it both ways; that is, they're implying really abhorrent things went on while coupling their implications with the absolute absence of any fact or action that would back these charges up. 

It seems cynical and dirty so far, and it does stink all around right now. 

Of course, there is always potential for this sting to turn out differently, more specifically, and more abhorrently than it has so far, so I'll wait -- but I'll wait skeptically.  
This is pretty much where I'm at, and we haven't even touched the 4th amendment violations. Faking a bomb threat to place cameras?  That's crazy time.

The laundry list of things they're saying, without any evidence to back it up, and people swallowing it whole is blowing my mind as well.

I honestly hope there is evidence that hasn't come out yet that will show that it was clearly trafficking. But the police spinning a story while also lamenting that none of the "victims" are talking has me wondering how they know the story then?

Oh crap, do we not have an ignore function anymore? Maybe I just can't find it on mobile.
It is, of course, up to you, but I've always found Henry, if at times maddening, often edifying and a worthy voice to listen to. If he is not in top form in this particular thread -- and only time will tell -- then his errors are human and certainly not trollish. 

Peace out...

Oh man, I surely don’t. I’d prefer to learn that this was unwarranted embellishment.
This. That way, maybe the awfulness never happened and we might wind up with some humbled authorities who won't overstep their bounds again (though I admit that I doubt that, but it's always a hope).

I was trying to find common ground while acknowledging that we probably disagree on some aspects. I was hoping to have a conversation. Apparently that is impossible with you. 

Please kindly excuse my attempts to have rational discourse. Feel free to continue to have no understanding of basic statistics, while being wholely self assured that you and you alone have all the answers. I'll be placing you on ignore and moving in with my life. Good day.
I’m not sure the person posting multiple studies and articles detailing the charges, definitions, and statistics that we do have is the one claiming he’s the one who alone has the answers.  But I certainly appreciate the ignore.  Have a good one. 

When we were shopping for dogs, we were told "whatever you do, don't go to a puppy mill".  Sound advice and we agreed with it.   Once we started shopping, we discovered that no provider of dogs tells if you they are a puppy mill or not and there was no bona fide way of telling that seller X was 100% puppy mill and seller Y was 0% puppy mill.   In the end, we found a dog for adoption that suited us.  But if we were forced to buy a dog. i don't think my amateur eye could definitively say that this dog came from a puppy mill and this one did not.  

I can understand how the seasoned dog person would admonish anyone who bought a puppy mill dog, but I can also see how the person that just wants a dog can't always tell where that dog came from. 

Color me skeptical. This was a good article about both the incompleteness and lack of representativeness in these studies. 

https://www.politifact.com/oregon/statements/2013/mar/02/diane-mckeel/Is-average-age-entry-sex-trafficking-between-12-an/
I'm not anxious to be on the wrong side of history, but that's a pretty weak study @Henry Ford cited.

That said, no question there is a serious exploitation / trafficking issue. It's not U.S.-specific, it is a global issue. It is not limited to sex workers; it extends to nail salons, garment workers, car washers (washeros around here), child labor, construction workers - in Dubai they'll take away your passport after you arrive - and many other industries. There are more slaves today than at any time in human history (estimates are around 20-30M depending on definition and source.)

And I still think Kraft is a total sleeze for this whole thing.   complete embarassment, but I will wait for more evidence before I get out the pitchforks cuz he knew they were sex trafficking there. 

I'm not anxious to be on the wrong side of history, but that's a pretty weak study @Henry Ford cited.

That said, no question there is a serious exploitation / trafficking issue. It's not U.S.-specific, it is a global issue. It is not limited to sex workers; it extends to nail salons, garment workers, car washers (washeros around here), child labor, construction workers - in Dubai they'll take away your passport after you arrive - and many other industries. There are more slaves today than at any time in human history (estimates are around 20-30M depending on definition and source.)
If it helps, as I stated repeatedly, that’s not the only study.  There are dozens. Chicago and San Francisco did decent studies (their weaknesses are generally focusing solely on street prostitution), the NIJ has a reasonably decent statistical analysis.

Every decent study I’ve seen has some flaw applicable to determining the age with any kind of certainty.  It always needs to be discussed as a range or a percentage who began under a certain age - the closest decent study to representing an average age is probably that New York Study that indicates an age between 14-15 for first exploitation at the latest. It’s also the only one I have links for. And no, it’s not weak.  But it requires additional information (when you’re interviewing juveniles, you’re getting a statistical view of well over half of the population of prostitutes.)

Every decent study finds that well over half of prostitutes (found and questioned at any age) began under 18.  

San Francisco found 78% began as juveniles. Over 60% began under 16.  A majority were exploited before being prostitutes. An overwhelming majority (of street prostitutes of any age, not juveniles) have diagnosable PTSD.  Well over half were sexually abused as children. Nearly 90% wanted out of the line of work. But it’s a trauma study, not a demographic study.  

Ultimately, age isn’t the primary concern of most researchers. It’s a tangential piece. It has to be pulled from studies about trauma, homelessness, violence, drug abuse, needed services for trafficking victims, length of prostitution careers, pornography, demand for prostitution, and “pimping.”  Which come from different cities, states, demographics, genders, statistical bases (arrests, interviews, organizations providing services, clinics and drug treatment facilities, etc.)

But through all of that, the average age comes out to somewhere between 12 (which I don’t believe based on all the research as a whole) and 17 (which never takes into account a sufficient number of juveniles who get out before turning 18.)

Prostitutes encounter violence in this country.  That includes regulated prostitutes in Nevada (who report acts that are definitionally rape or sexual assault by their “managers” and madams) though to a lesser extent than than in illegal prostitution.  

It’s not a good system here.  In any of the systems that we have.  It possibly could be, but it isn’t. And it’s bringing in a lot more young girls than most people consider or realize. 

If it helps, as I stated repeatedly, that’s not the only study.  There are dozens. Chicago and San Francisco did decent studies (their weaknesses are generally focusing solely on street prostitution), the NIJ has a reasonably decent statistical analysis.

Every decent study I’ve seen has some flaw applicable to determining the age with any kind of certainty.  It always needs to be discussed as a range or a percentage who began under a certain age - the closest decent study to representing an average age is probably that New York Study that indicates an age between 14-15 for first exploitation at the latest. It’s also the only one I have links for. And no, it’s not weak.  But it requires additional information (when you’re interviewing juveniles, you’re getting a statistical view of well over half of the population of prostitutes.)

Every decent study finds that well over half of prostitutes (found and questioned at any age) began under 18.  

San Francisco found 78% began as juveniles. Over 60% began under 16.  A majority were exploited before being prostitutes. An overwhelming majority (of street prostitutes of any age, not juveniles) have diagnosable PTSD.  Well over half were sexually abused as children. Nearly 90% wanted out of the line of work. But it’s a trauma study, not a demographic study.  

Ultimately, age isn’t the primary concern of most researchers. It’s a tangential piece. It has to be pulled from studies about trauma, homelessness, violence, drug abuse, needed services for trafficking victims, length of prostitution careers, pornography, demand for prostitution, and “pimping.”  Which come from different cities, states, demographics, genders, statistical bases (arrests, interviews, organizations providing services, clinics and drug treatment facilities, etc.)

But through all of that, the average age comes out to somewhere between 12 (which I don’t believe based on all the research as a whole) and 17 (which never takes into account a sufficient number of juveniles who get out before turning 18.)

Prostitutes encounter violence in this country.  That includes regulated prostitutes in Nevada (who report acts that are definitionally rape or sexual assault by their “managers” and madams) though to a lesser extent than than in illegal prostitution.  

It’s not a good system here.  In any of the systems that we have.  It possibly could be, but it isn’t. And it’s bringing in a lot more young girls than most people consider or realize. 
OK, but you seem to agree with the objection rock had (& the article he cited) - an average of 12 to 14 is statistically impossible.

This is a serious and pervasive issue. Citing lousy data doesn't really advance the cause in a meaningful way.

Incidentally, a lot of folks read about AMPs (Asian massage parlors) and think "well that's an urban issue" or presume exploitation is mostly a big city issue. But many advocacy groups have found the most common entry points for NYC sex workers was not JFK but places like Grand Rapids (MI) and Minneapolis. You can find illicit massage parlors in virtually any community. They may be more prevalent here in the five boroughs, but they're all over the country. It's human trafficking in plain sight.

OK, but you seem to agree with the objection rock had (& the article he cited) - an average of 12 to 14 is statistically impossible.

This is a serious and pervasive issue. Citing lousy data doesn't really advance the cause in a meaningful way.

Incidentally, a lot of folks read about AMPs (Asian massage parlors) and think "well that's an urban issue" or presume exploitation is mostly a big city issue. But many advocacy groups have found the most common entry points for NYC sex workers was not JFK but places like Grand Rapids (MI) and Minneapolis. You can find illicit massage parlors in virtually any community. They may be more prevalent here in the five boroughs, but they're all over the country. It's human trafficking in plain sight.
Data is seldom lousy. Generally it’s the use that is. 

And yes, I agree 12-14 is unlikely.  14-15 is pretty good, though I can see a case for 15-16.  The difference between the two for the purposes we’re talking about is virtually academic. The “cause” is that most prostitutes begin underage.  You find me any reputable and repeatable study that refutes that and my jaw will drop through the floor.  And they start underage after having already been exploited, by and large.

Maybe interfering with advancing the cause could be laid at the feet of people who see a reasonable educated estimate of 14-15, which has been testified to in court by very knowledgeable experts and can be backed up with mid to high end estimates in studies and statistics put together by NGOs across the country and the US government, and argue that it’s not possible with zero statistical evidence.

But I’m just a caveman.

And yes, I agree 12-14 is unlikely.  14-15 is pretty good, though I can see a case for 15-16.  The difference between the two for the purposes we’re talking about is virtually academic. The “cause” is that most prostitutes begin underage.  You find me any reputable and repeatable study that refutes that and my jaw will drop through the floor.  And they start underage after having already been exploited, by and large.

Maybe interfering with advancing the cause could be laid at the feet of people who see a reasonable educated estimate of 14-15, which has been testified to in court by very knowledgeable experts and can be backed up with mid to high end estimates in studies and statistics put together by NGOs across the country and the US government, and argue that it’s not possible with zero statistical evidence.

But I’m just a caveman.
I get it. I work with a lot of street people and there are certain perspectives / data points we prefer to highlight. For instance, of the 63,000 people in NYC shelters every night, 24,000 are children. We help staff four different shelters which serve slightly different functions, demographics or cohort groups; by far the most popular (from a volunteer signup viewpoint) is the group home that house hundreds of young people age 17-21.

I'm guilty of the same thing. On Saturday I spent time with a 67 year old black man who has been on the street for 36 years, and then later a 40ish Dominican man who has spent the last 10 months living under a bridge. Heartbreaking stuff, yet the one I think about every night? A petite 22 year old white girl with a chipped tooth I have run into every few weeks since Thanksgiving. I cannot imagine what she is up against. She moves fast and I can't get her to engage for more than a few seconds.

Back on topic...the anti-trafficking group I volunteer for annually focuses mostly on raising awareness. We do a silent walk for a few hours, blast social media for a few weeks, and move on to the next flavor of SJW. They don't work with LE in this country - they are very aggressively doing so in several SE Asia countries - and largely ignore the massage parlors around NYC. I really wish we would target the industry here but it feels like too big of a problem. I don't really know what I can do other than draw attention to it.

This. That way, maybe the awfulness never happened and we might wind up with some humbled authorities who won't overstep their bounds again (though I admit that I doubt that, but it's always a hope).
Fair point.

I guess I was saying I hope our law enforcement wasn't overstepping to the extent I think they likely have.  But to my eye, it looks like that.

If you hit the three bars in the top right, Account, there’s an “Ignored Users” section you can add me to. 
Lol, thanks for the help.  After a night of sleep, I'm going to wait on pressing it for now.  If you're going to participate in this thread, maybe explain where the heck you are coming from or why you are so certain of the things you are saying, so maybe I have an outside chance of understanding your differing viewpoint.

I’m not sure the person posting multiple studies and articles detailing the charges, definitions, and statistics that we do have is the one claiming he’s the one who alone has the answers.  But I certainly appreciate the ignore.  Have a good one. 
You posted 1 study and it didn't support your claim.  I honestly don't know what's up with you.

I just think it’s funny how everyone is now a champion against human trafficking and children’s rights because a famous person got a happy ending. Nevermind a happy ending has been a running joke for years and years without outrage and nobody got their moral compass engaged against Nike until someone took a knee during the pledge. 

I think child trafficking and children’s rights are important, but the instances at which people decide that “NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION!  NOT YESTERDAY BUT NOW” just always makes me roll my eyes.  

But I’m just a caveman.
Look, why don't we stop dwelling on what age sex work begins on average and instead, agree that sex work by people under the age of 18 isn't great for society?  Cause I'll agree with you on that specific point.

I really want to sharp shoot the numbers you keep posting as you're applying them to "all women sex-workers".  I'm a stickler for being accurate, and I am having a difficult time letting it slide.

Now, this thread in particular is about Robert Kraft and what went on at Orchids of Asia Day Spa.  I don't see any children involved thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread