What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Kraft (yes, THAT Robert Kraft) charged with soliciting prostitution (4 Viewers)

They could be.  But last I saw the DA was saying "no evidence they were trafficked" but he's still hoping to develop some.

Also, his women weren't allowed to leave the premises comment has proven false already, saw that yesterday.  At least in terms of the Orchids of Asia place, I haven't even glanced at what was going on at the other parlors involved in the sting.
I'd be interested in seeing that quote.  I'm not aware of it.  It is inconsistent with the evidence I am aware of.

And I am also not aware of the "women weren't allowed to leave the premises comment."

Last edited by a moderator:
My angle? My angle is I’m sick of how little this country cares about sex crimes perpetrated against women and blames them for being victims of sex crimes. Including women in this spa who by accounts so far were sleeping on massage beds, working seven days a week, moved from parlor to parlor, and some had their passports confiscated  

His women during this sting, yes, were much less likely to have been human trafficked than others in the parlor. I assume your position is that he randomly walked in off the street for these two “massages”? 
I'm not worried about Kraft in particular.  But if the women we know about weren't trafficked, I don't think it is right to just assume the unknowns were.  My view is we don't know yet.  If they were, I hope they get enough to bust the whole thing up all the way to the top.  If they weren't trafficked, then I think the whole thing is a disaster on the part of the police and the DA.  It ultimately hinges on that unanswered question.

To be clear, this police department FAKED a bomb threat to empty out the strip mall and place their surveillance cameras.  Then they filmed a bunch of sex acts between customers and sex workers, and thus far we have only determined that some of those sex workers were not trafficked.  If the remaining weren't either, WTF are they doing?  The whole bomb threat angle really blows my mind, but setting up video surveillance in a place where you're just getting a massage is messed up too.

It is also being reported that many of the customers of Orchids of Asia did NOT receive any illegal or sexual services.  So, let me ask you this, if your wife went there for a massage, and she stripped down and got under a towel for service, the Jupiter PD got to see it.  Your wife did nothing wrong, she went to a business and engaged in legal activity, and she's on camera nude in a place that she had a very reasonable expectation of privacy.

This cannot be the most effective way to stop sex trafficking.  We have to find something better, and ideally something that doesn't involve fake bomb threats or infringe on the 4th amendment.

1. Kraft is a mega donor to a human trafficking organization. He has spoken with the director personally.  He has every reason to know this is human trafficking. If he’s in the clear for you, congrats.  Hope that works out for you.

2. To the bolded, I have a couple threads in the PSF regarding this country not caring. Also a billionaire was going to a human trafficking establishment for who knows how long, had who knows how many of the women work on him and you think it’s over the top and getting worked up to say he’s financially supporting a specific human trafficking operation, so there’s that. 
We do not know that this was a human trafficking establishment.

Honestly, it's a little racist to assume that it is one IMO.

It's clearly a prostitution front, but that doesn't mean it is tied to trafficking or sex slavery.

I'm not worried about Kraft in particular.  But if the women we know about weren't trafficked, I don't think it is right to just assume the unknowns were.  My view is we don't know yet.  If they were, I hope they get enough to bust the whole thing up all the way to the top.  If they weren't trafficked, then I think the whole thing is a disaster on the part of the police and the DA.  It ultimately hinges on that unanswered question.

To be clear, this police department FAKED a bomb threat to empty out the strip mall and place their surveillance cameras.  Then they filmed a bunch of sex acts between customers and sex workers, and thus far we have only determined that some of those sex workers were not trafficked.  If the remaining weren't either, WTF are they doing?  The whole bomb threat angle really blows my mind, but setting up video surveillance in a place where you're just getting a massage is messed up too.

It is also being reported that many of the customers of Orchids of Asia did NOT receive any illegal or sexual services.  So, let me ask you this, if your wife went there for a massage, and she stripped down and got under a towel for service, the Jupiter PD got to see it.  Your wife did nothing wrong, she went to a business and engaged in legal activity, and she's on camera nude in a place that she had a very reasonable expectation of privacy.

This cannot be the most effective way to stop sex trafficking.  We have to find something better, and ideally something that doesn't involve fake bomb threats or infringe on the 4th amendment.
I don't think I caught the question you're asking.

The investigation was into human trafficking in spas (some of which were related to one another, some of which were not).  There is already one person charged with human trafficking in that investigation, in the Orlando cases.  We know some of those people were probably trafficked. 

In fact, this same woman was arrested for human trafficking in Massachusetts in 2012.

Good, they got 1. 

Were there any ties between the two spas?
That's actually not yet clear.  The last article I saw about connections listed 3 counties (including the one where Jupiter is located) and specifically said the other two were unrelated.  But didn't explain whether Jupiter was.  I would assume they do not have unity of ownership or management, but hey may be related.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in seeing that quote.  I'm not aware of it.  It is inconsistent with the evidence I am aware of.

And I am also not aware of the "women weren't allowed to leave the premises comment."
I saw them in separate places.  The DA quote was in his video press conference yesterday or the day before.  It was like 15 minutes long and just a video.

I'll try and find the premises comment, I think it was from Reason.

We do not know that this was a human trafficking establishment.

Honestly, it's a little racist to assume that it is one IMO.

It's clearly a prostitution front, but that doesn't mean it is tied to trafficking or sex slavery.
It's not racist to believe that a strip mall prostitution massage parlor caught up in a human trafficking investigation in which several people have been arrested is involved in human trafficking.  

I don't think I caught the question you're asking.

The investigation was into human trafficking in spas (some of which were related to one another, some of which were not).  There is already one person charged with human trafficking in that investigation, in the Orlando cases.  We know some of those people were probably trafficked. 

In fact, this same woman was arrested for human trafficking in Massachusetts in 2012.
Yes.  I'm talking specifically about Orchids of Asia.  Your link (just read it) said that there are no known links between the trafficker w/ 10 Orlando spas and the Jupiter spa Kraft was busted at.  Jupiter Spa had the video surveillance, and had a decent percentage of customers not receiving any illegal services.

Yes.  I'm talking specifically about Orchids of Asia.  Your link (just read it) said that there are no known links between the trafficker w/ 10 Orlando spas and the Jupiter spa Kraft was busted at.  Jupiter Spa had the video surveillance, and had a decent percentage of customers not receiving any illegal services.
I think my post was quite clear that it was the ORLANDO (NOT JUPITER) spas.  

That's actually not yet clear.  The last article I saw about connections listed 3 counties (including the one where Jupiter is located) and specifically said the other two were unrelated.  But didn't explain whether Jupiter was.  I would assume they do not have unity of ownership or management, but hey may be related.
From the article you linked last page: 

"Huddy said no solid ties have emerged between the 10 spas from Orlando to Jupiter shut down Feb. 19, aside from the ones owned by Yan and Ma. He does believe the local ringleaders at least know of each other and may coordinate in exchanging women, something done to confuse authorities.

"I think there is some sort of broader link, to where they know who to call (and) when," Huddy said."

BTW, she was busted in 2012 for human trafficking and is set up with 10 spas in another state 6 years later?  Shouldn't she still be in jail or deported or something?  That's a failure of the justice system IMO.

It's not racist to believe that a strip mall prostitution massage parlor caught up in a human trafficking investigation in which several people have been arrested is involved in human trafficking.  
It's racist of the PD and DA to assume all Asian Massage Parlors that happen to be prostitution fronts are involved in human trafficking.  How is that NOT racist?  It's clear stereotyping.

// Let's not head down this new rabbit hole and stay on topic.  We probably think differently is all.

BTW, she was busted in 2012 for human trafficking and is set up with 10 spas in another state 6 years later?  Shouldn't she still be in jail or deported or something?  That's a failure of the justice system IMO.
Yes.  It is.  And of society in general for failing to put teeth into human trafficking laws and investigatory procedures.

You get that the "meh" attitude toward sexual exploitation is what I'm talking about in here, right?

I think my post was quite clear that it was the ORLANDO (NOT JUPITER) spas.  
It was.  Maybe I was unclear.  My comments about filming innocent wives getting massages and using questionable tactics to plant cameras are specific to Orchids of Asia in Jupiter.

It's racist of the PD and DA to assume all Asian Massage Parlors that happen to be prostitution fronts are involved in human trafficking.  How is that NOT racist?  It's clear stereotyping.

// Let's not head down this new rabbit hole and stay on topic.  We probably think differently is all.
I didn't head down this new rabbit hole.  You did.

It was.  Maybe I was unclear.  My comments about filming innocent wives getting massages and using questionable tactics to plant cameras are specific to Orchids of Asia in Jupiter.
I didn't discuss your comments about filming innocent wives, I expressed that you had indicated you were about to ask a question and then didn't, so I didn't know what you were asking.

My response regarding trafficking was in response to this:

But if the women we know about weren't trafficked, I don't think it is right to just assume the unknowns were.  My view is we don't know yet.  If they were, I hope they get enough to bust the whole thing up all the way to the top.  If they weren't trafficked, then I think the whole thing is a disaster on the part of the police and the DA.  It ultimately hinges on that unanswered question.
To which I said:

Here's the transcript.  Just let me know where it is.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1902/25/cnr.05.html
Thanks!  I was looking for this yesterday and couldn't find it!

Looks like I had the quote wrong... happens when you're going from memory and your memory sucks!  Should've been "there is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking'.

He's referring to the defendants in Jupiter specifically, which include the patrons and the spa owner and spa manager.

Also, FWIW, no trafficking allegation in Jupiter, yet in a short presser w/ Jupiter DA the word "trafficking" is used 24 times.  That sort of thing is tweaking my nipples and making my eyebrows raise.

----

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: How did you know there were 25 people charged? Weren't there a lot more? [14:25:04] ARONBERG: Those were the ones charged by the Jupiter

police department. When I talk about human trafficking, I'm talking about the general subject of human trafficking. The larger picture. There is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking. They are not being charged as such. But instead of talk about a particular defendant, I'd like to make the conversation broader because this country needs to have a reality check on what's going on when it comes to forced labor and forced sexual conduct. 

Thanks!  I was looking for this yesterday and couldn't find it!

Looks like I had the quote wrong... happens when you're going from memory and your memory sucks!  Should've been "there is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking'.

He's referring to the defendants in Jupiter specifically, which include the patrons and the spa owner and spa manager.

Also, FWIW, no trafficking allegation in Jupiter, yet in a short presser w/ Jupiter DA the word "trafficking" is used 24 times.  That sort of thing is tweaking my nipples and making my eyebrows raise.

----

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: How did you know there were 25 people charged? Weren't there a lot more? [14:25:04] ARONBERG: Those were the ones charged by the Jupiter

police department. When I talk about human trafficking, I'm talking about the general subject of human trafficking. The larger picture. There is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking. They are not being charged as such. But instead of talk about a particular defendant, I'd like to make the conversation broader because this country needs to have a reality check on what's going on when it comes to forced labor and forced sexual conduct. 
Yes. 

When I talk about human trafficking, I'm talking about the general subject of human trafficking. The larger picture. There is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking. They are not being charged as such. But instead of talk about a particular defendant, I'd like to make the conversation broader because this country needs to have a reality check on what's going on when it comes to forced labor and forced sexual conduct. 

I agree wholeheartedly that this country needs a pretty gigantic reality check on what's going on when it comes to forced labor and forced sexual conduct.

There is no allegation that any of the defendants were involved with human trafficking. They are not being charged as such. But instead of talk about a particular defendant, I'd like to make the conversation broader because this country needs to have a reality check on what's going on when it comes to forced labor and forced sexual conduct. 
Jesus. 

Translation: We staged a bomb threat, invaded people's privacy, and wasted a tremendous amount of police resources to bust a few guys getting handies. Thank you for the public support in fighting this absolute scourge!

Yes.  It is.  And of society in general for failing to put teeth into human trafficking laws and investigatory procedures.

You get that the "meh" attitude toward sexual exploitation is what I'm talking about in here, right?
I think, part of the problem is that not many people have a strong issue with regular prostitution, as long as it isn't on their doorstep.  I think people have a strong reaction to sexual slavery and to the exploitation of minors.  They're very different things and they're often conflated.  This story is national news because Robert Kraft engaged in consensual prostitution with sex workers who were "probably not trafficked", and every damn headline has said sex trafficking, and the police and DA in Jupiter can't stop using those words.  If you want to sway public opinion, conflating separate issues isn't a good way to go.  It confuses people.

I think, part of the problem is that not many people have a strong issue with regular prostitution, as long as it isn't on their doorstep.  I think people have a strong reaction to sexual slavery and to the exploitation of minors.  They're very different things and they're often conflated.  This story is national news because Robert Kraft engaged in consensual prostitution with sex workers who were "probably not trafficked", and every damn headline has said sex trafficking, and the police and DA in Jupiter can't stop using those words.  If you want to sway public opinion, conflating separate issues isn't a good way to go.  It confuses people.
This is the quote I thought you were looking for:

Well, the matters are still being investigated. And I don't want to get too much into the details of the case because this is a pending matter. But I can say this. That so far, there have been no charges of human trafficking in any of these cases, but that could change in the future depending on what the investigators find.

24 hours later, the first human trafficking charge was filed.  This isn't over.

"The public" isn't generally going to be swayed about adult human trafficking, (HULK).  You have to care to be swayed.  Those people are already swayed one way or the other.  No one is at home thinking "boy, I might be really against human trafficking if I just saw better headlines I agreed with more!"

This story is national news because Robert Kraft engaged in consensual prostitution with sex workers who were "probably not trafficked", and every damn headline has said sex trafficking, and the police and DA in Jupiter can't stop using those words.  
If we don't get news of trafficking, I'm chalking this up to typical overreach by overweening authorities who have no business being in any position of authority because they clearly don't know how to use the power entrusted to them on behalf of the public. 

Such a cynical use of the monopoly of force.   

I didn't discuss your comments about filming innocent wives, I expressed that you had indicated you were about to ask a question and then didn't, so I didn't know what you were asking.

My response regarding trafficking was in response to this:

To which I said:
I see what you mean.  

My unanswered question was SPECIFICALLY about trafficking at Orchids of Asia, in Jupiter.  The headline grabber.  The one with questionable 4th amendment issues.

I believe in Orlando they managed to snag an actual sex trafficker without violating anyone's reasonable expectations of privacy or faking a bomb threat.  Huge success there.

Jesus. 

Translation: We staged a bomb threat, invaded people's privacy, and wasted a tremendous amount of police resources to bust a few guys getting handies. Thank you for the public support in fighting this absolute scourge!
This investigation began when city inspectors indicated to the sheriff that it appeared women working at several spas were being trafficked and perhaps engaging in prostitution.

It started as a human trafficking investigation.  And there's been at least one charge by now.

I see what you mean.  

My unanswered question was SPECIFICALLY about trafficking at Orchids of Asia, in Jupiter.  The headline grabber.  The one with questionable 4th amendment issues.

I believe in Orlando they managed to snag an actual sex trafficker without violating anyone's reasonable expectations of privacy or faking a bomb threat.  Huge success there.
What is the question?

Jesus. 

What's ironic is that we do NEED to be having this conversation more.  But we don't need to be using it as an umbrella to facilitate police tactics that are highly questionable to bust up a regular prostitution front.

It started as a human trafficking investigation.  And there's been at least one charge by now.
I think I was arguing along the same lines as (HULK) regarding the difference between both the result and techniques used in Orlando and Jupiter, actually. 

What is the question?
Was there actually sex trafficking happening at Orchids of Asia.

I guess I'm an ends justify means person.  If there wasn't, or not enough evidence to charge, then i have a huge issue with what the Jupiter PD did.  If they caught someone actually involved in trafficking/exploitation, then I'm okay with their more questionable tactics.

Was there actually sex trafficking happening at Orchids of Asia.

I guess I'm an ends justify means person.  If there wasn't, or not enough evidence to charge, then i have a huge issue with what the Jupiter PD did.  If they caught someone actually involved in trafficking/exploitation, then I'm okay with their more questionable tactics.
How are they supposed to change their tactics based on what they find out with the tactics?

Re: women could've walked out of Orchids of Asia, it was from Reason:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/25/florida-massage-parlor-sex-stings

"They had the ability, they could've walked out into the street and asked for help," he continued, noting that they often worked long hours and cooked food on a hot-plate instead of leaving for meals. "But they didn't."

So far, both Reason and Deadspin have taken less than flattering stances with Jupiter.  And I saw something on Yahoo calling it a sham that linked into some weird alt-right propaganda thing that I just backed out of because I didn't even want their hot take.  The majority of the press is still publicizing the narrative that Kraft was seeing trafficked women, probably because the DA can't stop saying it even though it does not yet appear to be part of his case in Jupiter at all.

The woman arrested lives in Orlando, but her spa was in Vero Beach.  It was also under the same kind of surveillance.https://www.850wftl.com/two-more-florida-spas-shut-down-after-sex-trafficking-investigation/
They have inside the spa video surveillance too?  I thought only Jupiter did?

Also, one of these police departments (not Jupiter) sent an officer in to see what he was offered and apparently he was touched on the peener a few times.  That'd be a weird day on the job.

Re: women could've walked out of Orchids of Asia, it was from Reason:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/25/florida-massage-parlor-sex-stings

"They had the ability, they could've walked out into the street and asked for help," he continued, noting that they often worked long hours and cooked food on a hot-plate instead of leaving for meals. "But they didn't."

So far, both Reason and Deadspin have taken less than flattering stances with Jupiter.  And I saw something on Yahoo calling it a sham that linked into some weird alt-right propaganda thing that I just backed out of because I didn't even want their hot take.  The majority of the press is still publicizing the narrative that Kraft was seeing trafficked women, probably because the DA can't stop saying it even though it does not yet appear to be part of his case in Jupiter at all.
The bolded sentence does not in any way sway my thinking.  And it is not uncommon, strange, or mystifying in people who have been or are being trafficked.

How are they supposed to change their tactics based on what they find out with the tactics?
No.  Honestly they shouldn't have used those tactics at all.  Whether or not I forgive that is based upon the results.  Probably not fair, but it's how i think.

They have inside the spa video surveillance too?  I thought only Jupiter did?

Also, one of these police departments (not Jupiter) sent an officer in to see what he was offered and apparently he was touched on the peener a few times.  That'd be a weird day on the job.
No, Vero Beach witnessed 140 sex acts on surveillance.

Police outfitted the Vero Beach branch of East spa with surveillance cameras in November and from November 30th through January 10th, authorities say they witnessed more than 140 sex acts performed for money.

As to your question about women going in for a massage, police placed no surveillance cameras in Orchids until after the following:

Police began conducting surveillance in Nov. 6, 2018, according to the arrest report. After being at the business for seven hours, police only saw male clients walking in and out of the business, even though the listings like facials are services for female clients.

The bolded sentence does not in any way sway my thinking.  And it is not uncommon, strange, or mystifying in people who have been or are being trafficked.
I'm not saying it is relevant to whether or not they were trafficked.

My complaint is that despite this being the case, the Jupiter DA and PD in initial statements said that these women were not allowed to leave the premises unescorted.  They built up a sex trafficking narrative to get more press based on something they knew wasn't true.  Do you not have a problem with that?  I believe it undermines their credibility significantly.

I'm not saying it is relevant to whether or not they were trafficked.

My complaint is that despite this being the case, the Jupiter DA and PD in initial statements said that these women were not allowed to leave the premises unescorted.  They built up a sex trafficking narrative to get more press based on something they knew wasn't true.  Do you not have a problem with that?  I believe it undermines their credibility significantly.
Yes, that's the quote I was asking you to find.  I haven't seen that.  I saw it in context of the Vero Beach place.

As to your question about women going in for a massage, police placed no surveillance cameras in Orchids until after the following:
Alright, so the naked guy who got filmed getting a massage but not breaking the law, too bad for him?  #feminism #doesn'tmattercauseequality

Police began conducting surveillance in Nov. 6, 2018, according to the arrest report. After being at the business for seven hours, police only saw male clients walking in and out of the business, even though the listings like facials are services for female clients.
So the police had an issue with the word "clients" in that listing........

Did they say how they got the cameras installed?
It was listed earlier in the thread but I forget the exact scenario but in general the police were able to cause a fake scenario that required all people leave the building for a certain time period and then they installed the cameras once everyone left.

Do you know a lot of men who take their underwear off at a strip mall massage parlor?
I've always gotten massages without any clothes on.  I've gotten massages from someone working in their own home as well as a spa in a strip mall.  I've never been offered sexual services, done anything inappropriate, or had any issues whatsoever.  The massage therapists are trained to work with people that are nude.

Something I'm not clear on is how long were the surveillance cameras in place?  Some of the early reporting I heard on it made it sound like it was quite awhile.  Maybe that was erroneous.  I just had this vision of an unmarked white van outside somewhere with tv's in the back and sound with guys getting their jollies on watching.  I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or how long if it is they'd typically leave those in place.  I wouldn't think they'd need a long time period to collect footage.

So, unless I've missed some news over the weekend, all we still know is that....

-Kraft was observed visiting the spa twice, and was "assisted" by the apparent manager of the spa on both occasions.

-No trafficking activities (underage or otherwise) have been reported from that location as of now.

-The only accusations coming out of the location that Kraft visited were those of soliciting prostitution.

-The only link between the trafficking ring and Kraft is that the particular spa he visited was under observation as part of the wider trafficking ring investigation, but we don't know why. 

Did I miss anything pertinent pertaining to the spa Kraft visited?

I'm curious as to why Orchid was under investigation to begin with. Did they just start looking at all the massage places they could find that had women of a certain race/ethnicity? If so, then maybe they just got lucky (no pun intended) and found not one that was not part of a trafficking ring, but one that was offering prostitutitive  (yes, i made that word up) services. 

Users who are viewing this thread