What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Kraft (yes, THAT Robert Kraft) charged with soliciting prostitution (2 Viewers)

Kraft and the Patriots donated $1.6 million to sexual exploration and trafficking causes a few years ago. 

If he was just a customer that went somewhere I doubt much will become of it. If somehow he knew the place was involved in human trafficking and intentionally went there, that’s obviously a different ballgame.
Right.  Let's see how it plays out.

The Patriots should not be on any prime time tv. No Monday night. No Thursday night. The NFL needs to implement the Death Penalty similar to SMU for the time being. No excuses.

Kraft and the Patriots donated $1.6 million to sexual exploitation and trafficking causes a few years ago. 

If he was just a customer that went somewhere I doubt much will become of it. If somehow he knew the place was involved in human trafficking and intentionally went there, that’s obviously a different ballgame.
would be a lot more difficult to prove

The Patriots should not be on any prime time tv. No Monday night. No Thursday night. The NFL needs to implement the Death Penalty similar to SMU for the time being. No excuses.
As much as I hate the Patriots, God only knows how many games/championships they cheated at, that wouldn't be fair to the players.  I hate the NCAA for a lot of reasons and punishing "student athletes" for administrative impropriety is bullcrap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:
This is not some $3,000 a night model choosing a lifestyle. Even those are complicated and have dependencies. The strip mall $79 Asian Spa woman, or more likely young girl, end of the business is heartbreaking.
I don’t think we know what Kraft, or Childs, or Wessel, were getting or for how much.

The general public perception swing would be gigantic.

It would go from "let the old guy get a hand job in peace" to "prison for life"

It is about a big a swing as we could come up with.

============================================

While we obviously need to wait this out, if he was involved in the nefarious part, I think something would have leaked by now.         

If somehow he knew the place was involved in human trafficking and intentionally went there, that’s obviously a different ballgame.
I think anyone that goes to a rub and tug massage parlor knows (not should know, knows) that there's a significant likelihood that the girls/women there are not there fully voluntarily, and might be underage.

I don't think they care. 

Their sexual desires are more important than the woman's physical and mental well being.

That's actually part of the safety net for not getting caught - those women can't and won't do anything about it.

Networks/advertisers would want money back. In turn all 32 teams get punished. 

You want to hurt them? Make them lose a home playoff game (play it on road). 

While we obviously need to wait this out, if he was involved in the nefarious part, I think something would have leaked by now.         
Think it is way too soon for anything like that to have happened. They're going to get the individual location owners/managers to roll on the guys who own/run the network and only from there are they likely going to be able to determine to what extent the trafficking was taking place. Then they go on to determine if the users were going just to get a handy or if it was well known that this is where you went for underage/exploited girls, not to mention who was really behind the whole operation. 

I don't even think Kraft has been taken in yet, so there's a whole lot still to go (including the slight chance he's allowed to skate fully).

The general public perception swing would be gigantic.

It would go from "let the old guy get a hand job in peace" to "prison for life"

It is about a big a swing as we could come up with.

============================================

If you visit places like this, you’re involved in human trafficking.  

I think anyone that goes to a rub and tug massage parlor knows (not should know, knows) that there's a significant likelihood that the girls/women there are not there fully voluntarily, and might be underage.

I don't think they care. 

Their sexual desires are more important than the woman's physical and mental well being.

That's actually part of the safety net for not getting caught - those women can't and won't do anything about it.
Yeah, why on earth would you think, as Robert Kraft, that a woman you’re paying $80 for an HJ wouldn’t sell the story to the Enquirer? What possible reason would she have for staying quiet if she’s just there voluntarily a couple days a week for extra cash?

Think it is way too soon for anything like that to have happened. They're going to get the individual location owners/managers to roll on the guys who own/run the network and only from there are they likely going to be able to determine to what extent the trafficking was taking place. Then they go on to determine if the users were going just to get a handy or if it was well known that this is where you went for underage/exploited girls, not to mention who was really behind the whole operation. 

I don't even think Kraft has been taken in yet, so there's a whole lot still to go (including the slight chance he's allowed to skate fully).
I made my point poorly.

What I was trying to say was that if Kraft is on camera with an underage girl, I don't think the police would have stood in front of the press and said he is only being charged with a misdemeanor. 

I also don't see any way Kraft skates unless this is complete mistaken identity which is unlikely since Kraft's own spokeperson did not deny he was there.

Unless they prove he is tied to it or used an underage girl as part of the service, then I think he simply gets the misdemeanor charge (which carries next to no punishment with it) and the NFL fines him between $500k and $1m for conduct unbecoming.  I think this is his best case scenario.

Thanks. I'm trying to get a good gauge on how the public is responding. 

I've seen a lot of both sides. 

The hinge issue seems for the guys I know that are minimizing it, all seem to fall on the side of the women working at these places are there by choice. It's like the poster who posted earlier about his friend that does this work in the high price range and she's cool with it.

My argument is 1) even the high priced market has some weird and dangerous dependency type issues. and 2) the high price market is wildly different for the women involved than the $79 spa market. 
I assume you're talking about my post.

I thought I made it clear that my friend knows she's not the average hooker and that most are in a totally different situation than she is. If I didn't make that clear, my apologies.

One has to wonder, when he personally made a $100,000 donation four years ago to a group that gets women out of sex trafficking, how he could not know that the women he was visiting were trafficked. Personally as in “spoke personally with the director and made the donation.”

Let's play this out...

So every one of these terrible places is shutdown in the US in a giant nation wide sting as result of this initial bust.

Are the Asian women better off now that they can't come to the USA and are unable to flee whatever they were fleeing from?  Do they just end up going to Australia or the other countries that have legalized prostitution?  Do men just go to China and other parts of Asia instead of the US based massage parlors?

I'll hang up and listen.

I assume you're talking about my post.

I thought I made it clear that my friend knows she's not the average hooker and that most are in a totally different situation than she is. If I didn't make that clear, my apologies.
Yes. You were clear. All good. 

Let's play this out...

So every one of these terrible places is shutdown in the US in a giant nation wide sting as result of this initial bust.

Are the Asian women better off now that they can't come to the USA and are unable to flee whatever they were fleeing from?  Do they just end up going to Australia or the other countries that have legalized prostitution?

I'll hang up and listen.
The fact that women are frightened in their home countries is a reason to offer asylum for victims of violence, not a reason to legalize or intentionally overlook rape slaves. 

Allowing this to continue because women would be worse off at home is the legal version of fixing your backache by hitting yourself in the foot with a hammer.  “Now I don’t even feel the back!”

The fact that women are frightened in their home countries is a reason to offer asylum for victims of violence, not a reason to legalize or intentionally overlook rape slaves. 
who said I am looking for a reason?  A little presumptive on your part.  I've made it pretty clear I don't support these establishments if employment is coerced or involuntary or has anything to do with minors.

I'm trying to understand the end game here, perhaps that conversation should be a different thread.

who said I am looking for a reason?  A little presumptive on your part.  I've made it pretty clear I don't support these establishments if employment is coerced or involuntary or has anything to do with minors.
I didn’t say you were looking for a reason. 

You had an odd response to my question, that didn't really answer my question but whatever.
Sorry, what I should have said is “Maybe. Those sound like issues that would need some attention in addition to the rape centers that need attention.”

Also, I’m not sure how many women would say there are many circumstances that would be worse than being essentially jailed in a massage parlor and being raped 1500 times per year on seven day a week schedules. 

I know that.

It's getting that point across to others. 

It's essentially the same point I was making in the reparations thread. It seems like we need to be able to make a compelling, clear and concise message to deal with this. 
I think the clear, compelling case is this:

if I told you I would have you deported or your family hurt or killed if you didn’t have sex with me, that’s rape.

if I kept you locked in a building and told you to have sex with me at my whim, that’s rape. 

If I did the same things and said “but not me, instead have sex with that guy and he’ll give me money for it” it’s still rape.  The fact that someone else has the gun to her head doesn’t make the guy having sex with her not a rapist.  

In my opinion. 

Let's play this out...

Are the Asian women better off now that they can't come to the USA and are unable to flee whatever they were fleeing from?  Do they just end up going to Australia or the other countries that have legalized prostitution?  Do men just go to China and other parts of Asia instead of the US based massage parlors?

I'll hang up and listen.
I’m not sure what their home situations are and I’m sure it varies. But I can’t imagine that becoming a sex slave is a huge step up regardless. 

I sure hope that’s the case. 
Yeah, same here. 

I don't deny the possibility of sex trafficking and slavery, but it seems like the police and the authorities are more than willing to speculate on the wrong side of things per her links. I hope she's right, though Reason certainly has a worldview that is in favor of legalized sex work, so there's that kernel of potential bias to consider.  

Just figured that since Reason (Robby Soave) and K.C. Johnson nailed the fake rape claims at UVA that their skepticism is warranted. Always good to see how the truth and the investigation plays out before rushing to judgment of any of the parties involved, IMHO.  

Elizabeth Nolan Brown, who covers sex work for Reason magazine, is skeptical about claims of sex slavery and traces similar claims from the police that have happened recently.  To her, it sounds like an ordinary prostitution sting gussied up in speculation about horribleness.  

http://reason.com/blog/2019/02/22/robert-krafts-prostitution-arrest-is-par
I am a total novice on this subject. But I'm not sure there is such a bright line between "ordinary prostitution at the $79 Asian Spa" and "sex slavery". 

Elizabeth Nolan Brown, who covers sex work for Reason magazine, is skeptical about claims of sex slavery and traces similar claims from the police that have happened recently.  To her, it sounds like an ordinary prostitution sting gussied up in speculation about horribleness.  

http://reason.com/blog/2019/02/22/robert-krafts-prostitution-arrest-is-par
The average age a prostitute begins working is between 14 and 15. 

Ordinary prostitution is horribleness. 

I am a total novice on this subject. But I'm not sure there is such a bright line between "ordinary prostitution at the $79 Asian Spa" and "sex slavery". 
I don't really know, either. I'm just saying that it would be nice if there was proof of trafficking and slavery vs. ordinary prostitution. I know the $79 Asian Spa thing is getting people, but it would seem to me that a price is just a pricing issue where the means and potential compulsion are really the issue here.  . 

The police also seem to be implying that the "girls" are underage rather than dispensing with adequate proof of that. It seems more like an insinuation couched in language than actual fact. I think Elizabeth Nolan Brown has covered sex work extensively for Reason for years and her arguments can probably at least be considered as being rooted in experience, even if there is a definite political outlook/component to her writing.  

The average age a prostitute begins working is between 14 and 15. 

Ordinary prostitution is horribleness. 
That's simply a declarative and a value judgment that many people and cultures haven't happened to share both now and throughout history. 

Simply saying something is horrible does not make it so. 

Judging by how many of these Asian massage parlors are all over the country, I think the vast majority are simply massage places with some "extras". It would be very naive and ignorant to automatically think all or most Asian massage parlors = sex slavery.

That's simply a declarative and a value judgment that many people and cultures haven't happened to share both now and throughout history. 

Simply saying something is horrible does not make it so. 
Saying adult men are having sex with 14 or 15 year old girls by paying their pimps or madames does in fact make it horrible. That’s ordinary for prostitution’s beginnings. 

Judging by how many of these Asian massage parlors are all over the country, I think the vast majority are simply massage places with some "extras". It would be very naive and ignorant to automatically think all or most Asian massage parlors = sex slavery.
How do you think people find so many undocumented Asian immigrants who want to work in sex work?

Yup.  But in answer to your earlier question, this is how I see public perception of this. 

Saying adult men are having sex with 14 or 15 year old girls by paying their pimps or madames does in fact make it horrible. That’s ordinary for prostitution’s beginnings. 
No, it does not "in fact" make it horrible. It's a declarative you're making based upon your worldview. It's an opinion.  

And I doubt that it starts at 14 or 15 in most cases. That sounds dubious. 

You've made up your mind about prostitution. I'll wait for the results of the investigation in this particular case before I make any sweeping judgments about the men and women involved. it's awfully popular to condemn stuff like this, but that's the easy way. There are plenty of women and men that support legalized prostitution in this country. Anybody insisting on the contrary as "fact" is simply imposing his or her morality on others.  

No, it does not "in fact" make it horrible. It's a declarative you're making based upon your worldview. It's an opinion.  

And I doubt that it starts at 14 or 15 in most cases. That sounds dubious. 

You've made up your mind about prostitution. I'll wait for the results of the investigation in this particular case before I make any sweeping judgments about the men and women involved. it's awfully popular to condemn stuff like this, but that's the easy way. There are plenty of women and men that support legalized prostitution in this country. Anybody insisting on the contrary as "fact" is simply imposing his or her morality on others.  
I believe legalized and regulated prostitution is a different scenario.  This is not that. 

I know next to nothing about this industry but I can say two things.

1.  I had an old co-worker that use to go Asian Massage Parlors in the suburbs of a big east coast city.  He could have been lying but he says he never received nor was offered more than a handjob.  And he said every woman he ever met in those were in their 40's or 50's.  They damn sure weren't teenagers being held at gunpoint.

2.  Prior to him educating me on any of this if I had ever decided to check one of those places out I would have had no idea what happens in there.  So it's very premature to say anyone in there is a rapist who goes into one of those joints.

I've been to multiple massage parlors in Taiwan and China. Never been offered anything other than an actual massage.

Never been to an Asian massage parlor in the USA. I have been to massage therapy in the USA. Never been offered any "release" other than myofascia release. Oh and aromatherapy.

Users who are viewing this thread