What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Americans will need a Visa to visit Europe in 2021 (Thanks, Trump!) (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
New Visa for Americans

Travel to Europe won’t be so easy come 2021.

In two years, Americans will need to apply for something called ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) in order to enter the continent. The European Commission says the new visas will be enforced as an effort to upgrade international security, effective Jan. 1, 2021.

The ETIAS Visa for Americansthis link opens in a new tab will apply only to 22 countries in the Schengen Zonethis link opens in a new tab, including France, Germany and Italy. If you’re visiting the U.K., you will not need to apply for this visa.

At the moment, Americans traveling to Europe for less than 90 days don’t need any sort of visa.

The visa will be valid for three years and Americans won’t have to apply every time they want to visit. It will be valid for multiple entries.

The Europe Visa for Americans requires U.S. citizens to have a valid passport, credit or debit card and email address to apply. Costs are yet unknown. According to the ETIAS Visa websitethis link opens in a new tab, “Applicants will need to fill out an online form with their contact details and passport information as well as answer some basic security questions.” If their application is denied, travelers will be able to contest the decision.

In early 2017, the European Union went back and forth over whether or not to pass new visa laws for Americans. In May 2017, the European Commission decided against reinstating visas for Americans, but stated that the decision was contingent upon the U.S. reciprocating visa-free travel for Europeans. At the time, then-secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) John Kelly said that the U.S. needed to reexamine its visa-waiver agreement with Europe, citing potential terrorism risks.

The current visa waiver agreement allows citizens of 38 countriesthis link opens in a new tab to enter the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa. Changes to the program were passed at the end of 2017

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-citizens-need-visas-to-visit-europe-in-2021/index.html

The process started in 4/2016.  The report is in the CNN link.  I am not reading the 4 pages.
It started in 2016. But they were awaiting the Trump administration to settle in. They are looking for 5 countries that are part of the EU to be allowed into the US without Visas. However, since 2016, the US has not made any attempt to reverse this. Canada has. 

As a result, they just voted recently to impose the same restriction on the US. 

It's an inconvenience but a super minor one. It's not like getting a Brazilian visa or something. 

Bloomberg

Buying the three-year visa online for a planned 7-euro ($7.90) fee will be “super quick and easy” and will allow Americans to travel freely throughout 26 European countries, though it doesn’t include the U.K. and Ireland, according to an EU statement.

I'm all for criticizing Trump over the stupid and counterproductive stuff that he does, but this is a trivial inconvenience at worst and is probably something I would support (without caring about it much either way) if I were an EU resident.

I'm all for criticizing Trump over the stupid and counterproductive stuff that he does, but this is a trivial inconvenience at worst and is probably something I would support (without caring about it much either way) if I were an EU resident.
Why?  Because US citizens are a big risk for terrorism or illegal immigration or some other reason?

I think it's probably worth doing a small amount of due diligence on who is entering your country and why.  This is a pretty normal practice.
But they do that when they scan your passport at the immigration booth.  They are looking to see if you have warrants out and your travel history.  

Hopefully the 2021 decision is to see if Trump is gone and the US goes back to normal. Then maybe they will overturn their decision as well.
It seems to me this more likely is payback for the ESTA system the US implemented some years ago for visa waiver countries

The Z Machine said:
But they do that when they scan your passport at the immigration booth.  They are looking to see if you have warrants out and your travel history.  
As do the US with ESTA

>>European Union officials clarified that U.S. citizens will not need a visa to visit certain parts of Europe beginning in 2021.

...But that EU policy, which was first announced in 2018 , will actually only require U.S. citizens and other visa-free travelers to complete an online registration with the European Travel Information and Authorization System before traveling. In order to obtain that waiver, the EU says Americans will need to have a "valid passport, a credit or debit card and an email account."

...Once complete, the travel authorization is good for three years. So, recipients can enter the Schengen area as many times as necessary during that period. Minors will still be able to travel to those 26 countries with just a passport, though.

Currently, U.S. citizens only need to apply for a visa if they're traveling to Schengen countries for more than 90 days.<<

Newsy.

- I was pretty ticked when I first heard this, it sounds minor.

The Z Machine said:
Why?  Because US citizens are a big risk for terrorism or illegal immigration or some other reason?
In defense of this, if I were the EU, I'd be fairly suspicious of Americans these days too.

Users who are viewing this thread