What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weird experience last night--help me figure out if something bit me (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
I was in my home office last night working on my computer with my bare feet under the desk. Suddenly, both of my feet became uncontrollably itchy. After a few minutes, they started to swell and became quite painful. After an hour or so, I stood up to walk and experienced considerable pain on the soles of my feet--to the extent that my 13yo son thought I needed crutches to move. I took a Benadryl and hobbled to bed. My wife inspected my very swollen feet but couldn't see anything that was an obvious bite mark. She did say that my feet were very red. I then got very cold--our room was 70 degrees but I was below a duvet and wool blanket and still was freezing. She touched my hands which she likened to icicles. This morning, some of the swelling has subsided but it's still very painful to walk. I don't feel cold anymore.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I am just getting over diverticulitis and am on antibiotics. I've been on this med before so I don't think it's any kind of allergic reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to my GP later today for the other issue--I will certainly talk to him about this.
Yeah, this is the move. When your extremities are lead indicators of some other weird illness, you wanna see a doc about that.  

Not sure if it's relevant, but I am just getting over diverticulitis and am on antibiotics. I've been on this med before so I don't think it's any kind of allergic reaction.
1, You can develop allergic reactions at any point, even if you haven't been allergic to that thing at any prior point

2. if it is a generic medication you are taking, you may have been given a different brand (generic made by a different company), which could have different fillers, dyes etc., which could also explain a seemingly new allergic reaction to a med

Definnitely follow up with your doc. GL GB

1, You can develop allergic reactions at any point, even if you haven't been allergic to that thing at any prior point

2. if it is a generic medication you are taking, you may have been given a different brand (generic made by a different company), which could have different fillers, dyes etc., which could also explain a seemingly new allergic reaction to a med

Good info here.  I was once given an antibiotic in the "same family" as other antibiotics I'd taken many times in the past and got one hell of a strange allergic reaction.  Let's just say a portion of my man parts swelled up.  And not in a good way.   :sadbanana:

I doubt it's a spider bite.  Spiders don't have large fangs, and for one to hit both feet would be weird.  Did you check under the desk for other insect critters?  Ants or some other critters could be the culprit.

I am not a doctor.  Almost sounds like a circulation issue of some kind.

I agree with others that my first thought wouldn't be spider bites.

From another board:

Hey Chet. Severe hives (and/or angioedema and or urticarial vasculitis) can hurt. It isn't typical, but it certainly happens. Also, as was recently discussed on a previous thread, it is often your second or subsequent exposure to a substance (such as an antibiotic) that incites the development of an allergy (when it happens).

And I spoke to my doctor this morning who also said he thought it was an allergy.  

Appt is in a couple of hours.  Thanks to everyone!

From another board:

And I spoke to my doctor this morning who also said he thought it was an allergy.  

Appt is in a couple of hours.  Thanks to everyone!
The response from the other board is correct and yes, that's the likely culprit. Also, it may not even be the antibiotic and you may never figure out the trigger. 

Not really an issue it it doesn't recur even though it's frustrating not knowing.

Keep a close eye on any reaction to antibiotics and or antifungals.  My wife had a few minor reactions to some antibiotics and such for a couple of months Then one day  my wife had a severe reaction and it started with the burning and swelling of her feet.  Hers was called  Stevens Johnson syndrome and it escalated to TENS which stands for toxic epidural necrolysis syndrome i believe.   But it was a horrible.  It is a reaction where the body just goes into hyper drive and trys to kill everything off in an allergic reaction against the antibiotic.   She burned off about 80% of her skin and internal membranes.  The mortality rate is shockingly high like 70% and for those that survive they suffer things like blindness, loss of limbs or digits.   Her heart ran at about 180 beats an hour for a weeks while fighting through all this. She spent a month at a critical burn unit in a induced coma.  Then another month getting back on her feet.  She is one of the few who have ever came out of this fairly unscathed.  You wouldn't know she went through something so challenging if you met her now.  But I can see and watch the effects it has had on her in the 15 years since.  

Just keep a close eye out if you have any repeated allergic episodes.  Then mention to the Doctors about possible Stevens Johnson's cause.  My wife has to be very careful with any medications now, and absolutely can not take any sulfa based drugs.  Not many Doctors are familiar with the Stevens Johnsons and related problems.  We were lucky one nurse had seen something similar years before and convinced the Doctors of this.  Once the body goes into the hyper drive there is no stopping itself and the only chance is the critical care burn unit.   Good luck and keep a close eye for any additional reactions no matter how minor.  Also it seems to be an issue that can pass to your children, so keep an eye out for them and let them know to be aware of potential allergic reactions to antibiotics as they get older.  I hope you don't have the predisposition to the drug allergy but better to know what it can possibly morph into on the worst side and be prepared to watch for it.

Here is a link to the Stevens Johnson website       Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis - Genetics ...    https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/.../stevens-johnson-syndrome-toxic-epidermal-necrolysis

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep a close eye on any reaction to antibiotics and or antifungals.  My wife had a few minor reactions to some antibiotics and such for a couple of months Then one day  my wife had a severe reaction and it started with the burning and swelling of her feet.  Hers was called  Stevens Johnson syndrome and it escalated to TENS which stands for toxic epidural necrolysis syndrome i believe.   But it was a horrible.  It is a reaction where the body just goes into hyper drive and trys to kill everything off in an allergic reaction against the antibiotic.   She burned off about 80% of her skin and internal membranes.  The mortality rate is shockingly high like 70% and for those that survive they suffer things like blindness, loss of limbs or digits.   Her heart ran at about 180 beats an hour for a weeks while fighting through all this. She spent a month at a critical burn unit in a induced coma.  Then another month getting back on her feet.  She is one of the few who have ever came out of this fairly unscathed.  You wouldn't know she went through something so challenging if you met her now.  But I can see and watch the effects it has had on her in the 15 years since.  

Just keep a close eye out if you have any repeated allergic episodes.  Then mention to the Doctors about possible Stevens Johnson's cause.  My wife has to be very careful with any medications now, and absolutely can not take any sulfa based drugs.  Not many Doctors are familiar with the Stevens Johnsons and related problems.  We were lucky one nurse had seen something similar years before and convinced the Doctors of this.  Once the body goes into the hyper drive there is no stopping itself and the only chance is the critical care burn unit.   Good luck and keep a close eye for any additional reactions no matter how minor.  Also it seems to be an issue that can pass to your children, so keep an eye out for them and let them know to be aware of potential allergic reactions to antibiotics as they get older.  I hope you don't have the predisposition to the drug allergy but better to know what it can possibly morph into on the worst side and be prepared to watch for it.

Here is a link to the Stevens Johnson website       Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis - Genetics ...    https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/.../stevens-johnson-syndrome-toxic-epidermal-necrolysis
Thank you.  I appreciate it.

SJS and Reynaud’s were my first two thoughts.  Wouldn’t wish them on anyone. So sorry your wife has had to deal with that.  

Hope you're feeling better soon.

My one similar experience was super itchy feet suddenly. Like it went from fine to crazy itching in 5 minutes. I didn't have any food allergies I know of but turned out it was reaction to some cookies with macadamia nuts. Maybe something similar with you. Hope you're better soon. 

If you have a hard time locating the substance you are allergic to, there is something called exercise induced anaphylaxis that only affects you when you ingest the substance and then exercise afterward.

Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis

I was breaking out and swelling every 3-4 months and it took a while to find out I am allergic to wheat.

jps said:

Holy crap.   :eek:   Glad to hear your wife came out of all that OK.

My allergic reaction was to sulfa-based antibiotics, too.  I was already allergic to penicillin, just added sulfas to the list.  

I was in my home office last night working on my computer with my bare feet under the desk. Suddenly, both of my feet became uncontrollably itchy. After a few minutes, they started to swell and became quite painful. After an hour or so, I stood up to walk and experienced considerable pain on the soles of my feet--to the extent that my 13yo son thought I needed crutches to move. I took a Benadryl and hobbled to bed. My wife inspected my very swollen feet but couldn't see anything that was an obvious bite mark. She did say that my feet were very red. I then got very cold--our room was 70 degrees but I was below a duvet and wool blanket and still was freezing. She touched my hands which she likened to icicles. This morning, some of the swelling has subsided but it's still very painful to walk. I don't feel cold anymore.

tangent: if you're taking an antibiotic for diverticulitis, make sure you are also taking a probiotic. then once you finish your antibiotic cycle, load up on probiotics for a couple weeks. the antibiotics is killing all the good bacteria in your gut, too.

tangent: if you're taking an antibiotic for diverticulitis, make sure you are also taking a probiotic. then once you finish your antibiotic cycle, load up on probiotics for a couple weeks. the antibiotics is killing all the good bacteria in your gut, too.
Thanks!

I've been on this med before so I don't think it's any kind of allergic reaction.
That doesn't always mean anything.  At 53, I became allergic to catfish.  WTF?  It's not as if I'd led a catfish-free life up 'til then.  You can develop an allergy to things you've had before at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread