What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer job for teen that includes housing (1 Viewer)

Plaid Boxer

Footballguy
My son will be a senior next year and turns 17 in late June. We agree that he could benefit from a job experience this Summer that gets him away from his friends and provides a chance to show more responsibility. 

The only idea that I could come up with is some sort of camp, but most I am seeing require being a college student or an 18 yo. 

What possibilities are we missing? 

My son will be a senior next year and turns 17 in late June. We agree that he could benefit from a job experience this Summer that gets him away from his friends and provides a chance to show more responsibility. 

The only idea that I could come up with is some sort of camp, but most I am seeing require being a college student or an 18 yo. 

Any uncles or aunts that live in other regions? I had a friend during high school that spent two summers with his uncle. The uncle had a construction company and kept him super busy. Hardly any time for social life and made a lot of $ for a high school kid in the late 80’s.

You may want to check the child labor laws in your area. I know where I live, there are all kinds of restrictions - how many hours a day/week, when those hours are, etc....

Otis internship. Highly competitive, but we’re accepting resumes here:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773734-accepting-applications-for-intern-position/

Any uncles or aunts that live in other regions? I had a friend during high school that spent two summers with his uncle. The uncle had a construction company and kept him super busy. Hardly any time for social life and made a lot of $ for a high school kid in the late 80’s.
I did this when I was a teenager. Stayed with my uncle in the summers and worked on his farm, going home on weekends. He lived in the middle of nowhere and I wasn't yet driving, so banked a bunch of money.

Met some girls who went out to CO to work on a "Dude Ranch" for the summer after college. They hated it and ended up bailing after finding the guy running it creepy. They were all hot. But it seems like that could be a fit. I think their travel to get out there was covered, too.

No idea about the requirements, but I know amusement parks often have housing. The housing is terrible, the work is terrible, a lot of co-workers are terrible, and you end up making very little once factoring on housing.

Also there's tons of underage drinking and drugs and orgies.

I worked ay Yellowstone one summer. Service industry (I made like 400 salads everyday for the Lake Hotel in the Park). 

Lived inside the park in dorm housing.

Housing and food taken out of check, people from all around the country worked there. 

Think many of the National Parks did this at the time. 

If it isn't too far away to your liking you might want to look into Wisconsin Dells.  They bring in kids from Europe and provide housing for summer work at restaurants, water parks, hotels, and sports complexes.  Their biggest need for help doesn't occur until July 4th and beyond.

My son and daughter worked at a fine dining restaurant there during their summers after high school and paid for a great deal of their college expenses.

Just saw this ad on FB the other day for an internship on Assateague Island (MD or VA).

Do you think you want to ditch that indoor job this summer and work outside? Do you think you might want a career in a conservation related discipline? Then consider applying for a Student Conservation Association(SCA) internship!

Currently, we have positions open for Wildlife Management and Education, Native Plant Corps and Aquatic Resource Monitoring SCA interns. Before you say "Its only an internship. I need something that pays!" consider that SCA interns work side-by-side with National Park Service field staff to gain valuable work experience and many finish their internships with new skill sets. Your summer with us can translate into open doors (that pay!) that you didn’t even know existed!

Apply for the Wildlife Management and Education internship here: https://www.thesca.org/…/wildlife-management-an…/po-00727652

Apply for the Native Plant Corps internship here:
https://www.thesca.org/…/2019-native-plant-corps/po-00727651

Apply for the Aquatic Resource Monitoring internship here:
https://www.thesca.org/…/aquatic-resource-monit…/po-00727210

i had a friend in college that worked in Alaska. he planned to work in a cannery for the summer. at the time (early 90's), you could camp in tents more or less nearby. he worked a couple of weeks and *hated* it. said it was disgusting. they offered him a different position on one of the fishing boats instead and he went out for bit. the crew *hated* him and kicked him off the boat. he was stuck at a fishing village waiting for a boat coming back to the cannery for a few days. when he got to the encampment, he took his stuff and tried hitching a ride on the AL-CAN highway back to the US and ultimately NC where his family lived. The trouble with hitching on the AL-CAN is it's just loggers and tanker trucks that drive 100 mph. it took him like 4 weeks to get back from the village to NC for college. 

There's not a lot of jobs like that do to the child labor laws. Your best bet like some have suggested is having a friend or relative who owns a farm or a small business (like a retail shop or restaurant, etc) who's out of state or lives a 2-4 hrs away. At 17 most places allow kids 16Plus to work so that should be no problem. The hrs though might be depending on what his work entitles and all but that's most likely your best bet. if you want and depending on what he wants to study in college find a 5 yr co op college. Part of the time you are in class and the other semester you are out doing an internship. Some internship places won't pay but most do. My brother is an architect engineer and did a co op Program at Drexel which he loved. The Business he did his first co op for actually hired him full time after he graduated too. A cousin of mine did a co op for ****'s Sporting Goods HQ's in Pittsburgh and then do a grad corse in Tampa at USF under a former NBA League director who got the graduates jobs in the sports world when they graduated. My Cousin did his Grad Internship with TB Lightening and now works for the Miami Heat. 

My friend 2yrs older then me Ive talked about on here before who's really lazy went to PSU changed from doing Metorology to Sport Management but PSU was a bad school to do SM. He skated by ended up C level student. I think if he had better advice from parents and people around him they would've told him before going to the Main Campus if he was gonna change a major to that he should transfer to college with a better Sports Management Program that does an internship program and then go to Grad School for it. Because unless you are some Ivy League major or know people already in the field your best way to get into Sports Management job like he wanted is go to school, do internships, graduate, go to grad school, keep linking up with people etc. He had a job with Camden Riversharks till they disbanded but he was back in school by Then. His boss there was really great but my buddy Never learned to link up His biggest problem was he was lazy and thought he'd be handed this like everything else in life. I think another issue was he never had good counsel from anyone from his advisors too his parents. When he found out I knew someone here who had a friend working for the Eagles he wanted me to get in contact with him about working for the Eagles. When my Co workers son got a coaching job with the team same thing. Like dude Im not doing your job for you and I doubt they are gonna accept someone who had mostly C's in College. 

I myself struggled in Community college couldn't pass Math to save my life. Wanted to go to school for History either maybe work museums, study Ancient Rome and other stuff, maybe archeologist, etc. However my Counsel was a little better got out with an Associates degree. probably instead of going to an actual college should of went to Trade school instead.   

There's not a lot of jobs like that do to the child labor laws. Your best bet like some have suggested is having a friend or relative who owns a farm or a small business (like a retail shop or restaurant, etc) who's out of state or lives a 2-4 hrs away. At 17 most places allow kids 16Plus to work so that should be no problem. The hrs though might be depending on what his work entitles and all but that's most likely your best bet. if you want and depending on what he wants to study in college find a 5 yr co op college. Part of the time you are in class and the other semester you are out doing an internship. Some internship places won't pay but most do. My brother is an architect engineer and did a co op Program at Drexel which he loved. The Business he did his first co op for actually hired him full time after he graduated too. A cousin of mine did a co op for ****'s Sporting Goods HQ's in Pittsburgh and then do a grad corse in Tampa at USF under a former NBA League director who got the graduates jobs in the sports world when they graduated. My Cousin did his Grad Internship with TB Lightening and now works for the Miami Heat. 

My friend 2yrs older then me Ive talked about on here before who's really lazy went to PSU changed from doing Metorology to Sport Management but PSU was a bad school to do SM. He skated by ended up C level student. I think if he had better advice from parents and people around him they would've told him before going to the Main Campus if he was gonna change a major to that he should transfer to college with a better Sports Management Program that does an internship program and then go to Grad School for it. Because unless you are some Ivy League major or know people already in the field your best way to get into Sports Management job like he wanted is go to school, do internships, graduate, go to grad school, keep linking up with people etc. He had a job with Camden Riversharks till they disbanded but he was back in school by Then. His boss there was really great but my buddy Never learned to link up His biggest problem was he was lazy and thought he'd be handed this like everything else in life. I think another issue was he never had good counsel from anyone from his advisors too his parents. When he found out I knew someone here who had a friend working for the Eagles he wanted me to get in contact with him about working for the Eagles. When my Co workers son got a coaching job with the team same thing. Like dude Im not doing your job for you and I doubt they are gonna accept someone who had mostly C's in College. 

I myself struggled in Community college couldn't pass Math to save my life. Wanted to go to school for History either maybe work museums, study Ancient Rome and other stuff, maybe archeologist, etc. However my Counsel was a little better got out with an Associates degree. probably instead of going to an actual college should of went to Trade school instead.   
What grade did you get in Writing/Composition?

saintfool said:
i had a friend in college that worked in Alaska. he planned to work in a cannery for the summer. at the time (early 90's), you could camp in tents more or less nearby. he worked a couple of weeks and *hated* it. said it was disgusting. they offered him a different position on one of the fishing boats instead and he went out for bit. the crew *hated* him and kicked him off the boat. he was stuck at a fishing village waiting for a boat coming back to the cannery for a few days. when he got to the encampment, he took his stuff and tried hitching a ride on the AL-CAN highway back to the US and ultimately NC where his family lived. The trouble with hitching on the AL-CAN is it's just loggers and tanker trucks that drive 100 mph. it took him like 4 weeks to get back from the village to NC for college. 
During college I spent two summers in Alaska, in the small town of Petersburg on an island south of Juneau.  Hard work for sure, mostly due to the hours (80-110 hour weeks during peak of the season). And it is disgusting at times.  But good money for a college kid, for sure.  And it helped me to get motivated and finally stop F'ing around in school and finish up my degree after a 40 year old working there called me "a lifer" toward the end of my second season.

They did have local high school kids working there, but I just looked at the website and you do have to be 18 to stay in the dorms, so not applicable to the OP. 

Why the need to get your kid away from his friends in order to show more responsibility? 

Even if he finds the type of job you're looking for, chances are he can/will get into the same type of "trouble" that he would at home but will have much less oversight than he would while living with you.

What grade did you get in Writing/Composition?
If we are talking Grammar I was always terrible at that. But my actual writing in terms of putting the info out there, getting my point across, etc was pretty high especially history. My WW2 Class professor had us compare a Chapter of Auschwitz with the whole book of Night which I read as a SO in HS. I did a 3 page paper in an hr on it the night before it was due and got a 110%. In World Cultures my professor had us do a 10 page essay on famous Quote in World History could pick anything. I chose Gen. Anthony McAuliffe’s 1944 Christmas Message "Nuts' and I titled my Essay with that in Quotes "Nuts". Not only did it get 100% but my professor asked if he could make a copy of the essay to show as an example for future students. He liked my creativity with the article as well. My professors always loved my creativity and Imagination. I ended up writing a short story fictional about HS football premises based off of Friday Night Lights added my own spins to it with fake schools and all. I ended up using my cousins and family as well as friends as most of the characters in it as well. My literature/English professor thought it was creative. Definitely said I should think about writing but suggested I'd get an editor swell

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the need to get your kid away from his friends in order to show more responsibility? 

Even if he finds the type of job you're looking for, chances are he can/will get into the same type of "trouble" that he would at home but will have much less oversight than he would while living with you.
It's not that he needs to be away from his friends, and he's not currently getting in trouble. Each of our sons is completely different and we never would have thought about this with the other ones. He requires something much different than the High School and part time work lifestyle and getting a jumpstart on personal accountability seems appropriate.

I understand it's a long shot and the alternative may be paying for an outward bound type experience.

It's not that he needs to be away from his friends, and he's not currently getting in trouble. Each of our sons is completely different and we never would have thought about this with the other ones. He requires something much different than the High School and part time work lifestyle and getting a jumpstart on personal accountability seems appropriate.

I understand it's a long shot and the alternative may be paying for an outward bound type experience.
APology if this seems intrusive but do you mind giving us a bit of info on your son? It could very well help us make more appropriate suggestions. Is it learning disabilities or something similar? Mental issues? I have Aspergers and did have some special ED classes in school. Again apology if it seems intrusive but a little more info could be helpful to all here. 

Have him be a caddy, best job I had as a youth. He doesn’t go away, but he has to be up at the ### crack of dawn, and if it’s at a country club, you better believe the older rich men will hold him accountable for any screw up along the way. Good way to network and nice coin for a 17 year old.

Sending your kid away for the summer sounds harsh and expensive for high school.  Worry about the internships and working abroad once he's in college or in that age range.  I'd lean toward a basic summer job to show responsibility.  

Not a job, but may have the results you are looking for.... NOLS or Outward Bound.

Other ideas:.

Trail crew (modern day CCC)

Wwoof -- some locations allow under 18

If we are talking Grammar I was always terrible at that. But my actual writing in terms of putting the info out there, getting my point across, etc was pretty high especially history. My WW2 Class professor had us compare a Chapter of Auschwitz with the whole book of Night which I read as a SO in HS. I did a 3 page paper in an hr on it the night before it was due and got a 110%. In World Cultures my professor had us do a 10 page essay on famous Quote in World History could pick anything. I chose Gen. Anthony McAuliffe’s 1944 Christmas Message "Nuts' and I titled my Essay with that in Quotes "Nuts". Not only did it get 100% but my professor asked if he could make a copy of the essay to show as an example for future students. He liked my creativity with the article as well. My professors always loved my creativity and Imagination. I ended up writing a short story fictional about HS football premises based off of Friday Night Lights added my own spins to it with fake schools and all. I ended up using my cousins and family as well as friends as most of the characters in it as well. My literature/English professor thought it was creative. Definitely said I should think about writing but suggested I'd get an editor swell
He suggested you get an editor swell? I wonder why?

Users who are viewing this thread