What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (2 Viewers)

The Padres must love them some Taylor Trammell. He has upside to be a 5-tool star but he needs to reach it for this to be a good deal for San Diego, and right now he’s struggling in AA.

40-man roster concerns were probably a factor though. The Padres could get hit hard in a Rule 5 draft at some point and Trammell is still exempt from that this offseason.
I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.

Hearing from a reliable source, that Tim Anderson’s injury is much worse than they are leading on 

Torn Achilles is two places, out for year at the least 
Prior to Tuesday’s series opener against the Mets, shortstop Tim Anderson returned from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte and was reinstated from the 10-day injured list. 

I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.
7 hours before the deadline and the motivation of the Reds and Padres has me more than a little confused. 

Prior to Tuesday’s series opener against the Mets, shortstop Tim Anderson returned from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte and was reinstated from the 10-day injured list. 
My source, a coach on the team, has been fired from my insider information staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
Update, please
They're talking about playing Trammell in CF.  That make sense to see if his defense will play there. 

His AVG in AA hasn't been very good this year but it's a small sample and his BB/SO numbers have held up.  He hasn't benefited from the MiLB power surge this year.  Scouts still talk about his tools but he turns 22 in six weeks and needs to translate those into production in the next year or so. 

I think Preller did well to grab a high ceiling prospect without giving up the farm.  Trammell still comes with a fair amount of risk though.

Ugh god no way. Stroman sucks. Id much rather keep Frazier

I think this was quite the haul for Bauer and I wouldnt call him a mid level pitcher. He might not be an Ace either but hes in the next tier.
Career ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 3.76/3.61/3.57

Bauer 3.92/3.87/3.98

2019 ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 2.96/3.52/4.08

Bauer 3.79/4.16/4.28

Both 28, both current season and career actual results and predictive metrics say Stroman has been better by any measure.  

Bauer has a nice spin rate and throws heavy balls and makes 420/69 jokes and plays with drones, so I guess there's that.

Career ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 3.76/3.61/3.57

Bauer 3.92/3.87/3.98

2019 ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 2.96/3.52/4.08

Bauer 3.79/4.16/4.28

Both 28, both current season and career actual results and predictive metrics say Stroman has been better by any measure.  

Bauer has a nice spin rate and throws heavy balls and makes 420/69 jokes and plays with drones, so I guess there's that.
Kind of a weird bump after seeing the crap the Jays got for Stroman.

Eephus said:
They're talking about playing Trammell in CF.  That make sense to see if his defense will play there. 

His AVG in AA hasn't been very good this year but it's a small sample and his BB/SO numbers have held up.  He hasn't benefited from the MiLB power surge this year.  Scouts still talk about his tools but he turns 22 in six weeks and needs to translate those into production in the next year or so. 

I think Preller did well to grab a high ceiling prospect without giving up the farm.  Trammell still comes with a fair amount of risk though.
I think the ball is normal in AA and very juicy in AAA. Didn’t realize he was turning 22

Chapman vs Guerrero Jr 13 pitch at-bat from yesterday was one of the coolest moments of the season.
sure was.  The foul ball off the facing of the 5th deck got everyone's attention.  Too bad in ended in dbl-play but was fun while it lasted. 

Bichette calmly follows it with a solid base rap to left. 

Not a big baseball guy so answer me this.  How is it you get a save when you come into a game with a 17-4 lead?  The Nets' Guerra came in in the 7th, gave up 3 runs in 3 innings, and got the save.

Not a big baseball guy so answer me this.  How is it you get a save when you come into a game with a 17-4 lead?  The Nets' Guerra came in in the 7th, gave up 3 runs in 3 innings, and got the save.
A relief pitcher is awarded a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and

He is not the winning pitcher; and

He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or

He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or

He pitches for at least three innings.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-manager-aaron-boone-says-there-would-be-a-benefit-to-a-mercy-rule-after-getting-blown-out-by-indians/

It's rare that I agree with a Yankee, but I like this idea. Instead of making both teams and fans endure the last couple innings of  a total blowout,  give the lead team a target to shoot for and another way to get a walkoff while also cutting down on scraptime injuries.
Of all the things wrong with the game, this isn't the one I'd look at. 

In the stadium, blowouts can be fun when the home team's ahead.  Even when losing, I paid for nine innings of baseball.

On TV, blowouts can make for very entertaining viewing depending on the broadcast team.  A laugher will still bring better ratings for the RSN than any other crap programming they have.

From a fantasy perspective, it's outrageous.  After opener pitchers and the death of the SB, there's only so much of this I can take.

Eephus said:
Of all the things wrong with the game, this isn't the one I'd look at. 

In the stadium, blowouts can be fun when the home team's ahead.  Even when losing, I paid for nine innings of baseball.

On TV, blowouts can make for very entertaining viewing depending on the broadcast team.  A laugher will still bring better ratings for the RSN than any other crap programming they have.

From a fantasy perspective, it's outrageous.  After opener pitchers and the death of the SB, there's only so much of this I can take.
It would also skew aggregate statistical accomplishments. Nobody would be on a level playing field regarding total outs in that case, if I'm not mistaken.

People were openly questioning that extension he got from Dombrowski with a year or so left when he'd had arm troubles the past year that were significant. The naysayers look to be right.
Yes but did it really need to happen the day before I advance to my 2 week semi round (where the winner is in the money)?  Maybe my replacement (Kolby Allard) will ease the pain.     🙄

That already happens with weather shortened games and cancelled games that don't get made up. 
True, but those are due to natural causes, not causes because of play, and probably happen far less frequently than a mercy rule would. Regardless, it's just my opinion that you try and play all twenty-seven outs. Sort of the beauty of the game.

Regarding the electronic strike zone. It seems all broadcasts show some type of digital strike zone during the game.  However, none of them seem to adjust the zone based on the size of the hitter - the zone appears to be the same sized box whether it's altuve or judge at the plate.  

I saw a note mentioning Manfred said something about "electronic strikes zones were the future" and I started wondering if there would be a 1 size fits all zone or customized for each batter based on size, their stance, etc.

On a related note, there was a kid in the LLWS who was trying to draw a walk or something, so he stood at the plate crouched so low his butt was 2 inches off the ground. His head was 2 feet off the ground. Ump still called a regular strike zone as if the batter was standing normally. Was amusing and related to my question above. 

Regarding the electronic strike zone. It seems all broadcasts show some type of digital strike zone during the game.  However, none of them seem to adjust the zone based on the size of the hitter - the zone appears to be the same sized box whether it's altuve or judge at the plate.  

I saw a note mentioning Manfred said something about "electronic strikes zones were the future" and I started wondering if there would be a 1 size fits all zone or customized for each batter based on size, their stance, etc.

On a related note, there was a kid in the LLWS who was trying to draw a walk or something, so he stood at the plate crouched so low his butt was 2 inches off the ground. His head was 2 feet off the ground. Ump still called a regular strike zone as if the batter was standing normally. Was amusing and related to my question above. 
I thought the strike zone was the hitter's natural one. That may be the reason for the little league strike. 

7 pitchers in history have now thrown multiple immaculate innings.  All of whom are totally on the same plain...

Lefty Grove
Sandy Koufax
Nolan Ryan
Randy Johnson
Max Scherzer
Chris Sale
Kevin Gausman

shady inc said:

Somewhat related:

Since 2008, MLB teams have recorded 51 cycles, 48 triple plays and 38-no hitters. In that same span, home-plate umpires have made every pitch call correctly on one team just 24 times, per The Ringer. That's roughly once per 1,200 games, or about twice per season.

I thought the strike zone was the hitter's natural one. That may be the reason for the little league strike. 
Rockaction is correct.  The strike zone is deemed to be shoulders to knees of a batter in a natural hitting position.  Therefore when the LL crouched it did nothing to change the actual strike zone...it only plays mind games with the pitcher.

Consider that the MARLINS went for 1.2B (in 2017) and had ~5K people in the stands Monday night.
yeah, i guess i forgot about that, and in looking at the full list of valuations, i see that the royals are basically the bottom.  haven't been keeping up with the valuations much, but damn.

Users who are viewing this thread