What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 World Baseball Classic Thread (1 Viewer)

Catch ya later when you're tuned in to the event you can't stand. :thumbup:
I'll be asleep by 9:30 :thumbup:  

oh wait it's tonight. I'm actually at the Lightning game. Thought it was tomorrow. :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice grab in the stands.  Would be a tougher catch with a regular season crowd (although maybe not in the 1st inning at Dodgers Stadium).

Odd move by Leyland to bring in Neshek to face the left handed bat.  Opponent's OPS in 2016 was 500 points higher facing lefties vs. righties

Gotta bench Arenado don't they?  He's been abysmal, give Bregman a chance.  I'd rather see Goldschmidt at DH and just have Stanton ready in case we need a homer.  

Assuming Lucroy gets the start, maybe Buster to DH?  He's been hitting pretty consistently. 

Depends on handedness of the opposing pitcher, which I'm not going to try to figure out, but here's what I would roll with if I were #blessed with the opportunity to manage this team:

Christian Yelich CF

Paul Goldschmidt 1B

Daniel Murphy DH

Giancarlo Stanton RF

Buster Posey C

Nolan Arenado 3B

Ian Kinsler 2B

Andrew McCutchen LF

Brandon Crawford SS

Hosmer shouldn't really even be on the ####### team, if we're being honest.  But, Royals magic and all that.  I know Jones has crushed so far, but the best argument for keeping him in the lineup is his defense.  He certainly shouldn't be hitting second.  Arenado and Bregman is close for me offensively, but Arenado wins easily because of his defense and track record at the plate.  I can see arguments for keeping Kinsler at the top, and for leaving Cutch off for any of the other OFs.

Depends on handedness of the opposing pitcher, which I'm not going to try to figure out, but here's what I would roll with if I were #blessed with the opportunity to manage this team:

Christian Yelich CF

Paul Goldschmidt 1B

Daniel Murphy DH

Giancarlo Stanton RF

Buster Posey C

Nolan Arenado 3B

Ian Kinsler 2B

Andrew McCutchen LF

Brandon Crawford SS

Hosmer shouldn't really even be on the ####### team, if we're being honest.  But, Royals magic and all that.  I know Jones has crushed so far, but the best argument for keeping him in the lineup is his defense.  He certainly shouldn't be hitting second.  Arenado and Bregman is close for me offensively, but Arenado wins easily because of his defense and track record at the plate.  I can see arguments for keeping Kinsler at the top, and for leaving Cutch off for any of the other OFs.
Hosmer and Jones have been the two MvPs thus far, why would you bench them?

Hosmer and Jones have been the two MvPs thus far, why would you bench them?
They've been really good over a tiny sample of games in the WBC.  If you're trying to set a lineup with the best chance of winning, you're going to consider their entire bodies of work along with this tiny sample of games. They don't look that special in that case.  Hosmer especially just isn't going to play on this team.  You've got one of the top 5 bats in the world in Goldschmidt on the team who happens to play his same position, and then you have Murphy who probably shouldn't play the field over Kinsler, but his bat should be in the lineup for sure.

After thinking about it some more, I'd probably leave Jones in for McCutchen, but in the 8 slot.    

They've been really good over a tiny sample of games in the WBC.  If you're trying to set a lineup with the best chance of winning, you're going to consider their entire bodies of work along with this tiny sample of games. They don't look that special in that case.  Hosmer especially just isn't going to play on this team.  You've got one of the top 5 bats in the world in Goldschmidt on the team who happens to play his same position, and then you have Murphy who probably shouldn't play the field over Kinsler, but his bat should be in the lineup for sure.

After thinking about it some more, I'd probably leave Jones in for McCutchen, but in the 8 slot.    
Generally I'd agree, but we're still in spring training for these players. If a couple have shown to have fast starts and are seeing the ball better in the early going, I think you have to play the hot hand. 

Theres no doubt in my mind that Andrew Miller is the best bullpen arm we've got, but he obviously wasn't ready when he was thrown in against the DR a couple of weeks ago. 

Im all for Goldschmidt getting in, but I'd do it at the DH spot over Stanton who has one good swing so far. 

Considering Goldschmidt is the best player on the team he should play. Everyone else is fairly interchangeable. 

Why didn't they start Goldschmidt? I don't get it. 
He's looked bad at the dish.  1 for 18.  His timing is off.  Hosmer is raking, you can't bench him.  Suppose they could opt for Goldy over Stanton at DH, but that's kinda splitting hairs.

Gotta ride the hot hands in this format. :shrug:  

Generally I'd agree, but we're still in spring training for these players. If a couple have shown to have fast starts and are seeing the ball better in the early going, I think you have to play the hot hand. 

Theres no doubt in my mind that Andrew Miller is the best bullpen arm we've got, but he obviously wasn't ready when he was thrown in against the DR a couple of weeks ago. 

Im all for Goldschmidt getting in, but I'd do it at the DH spot over Stanton who has one good swing so far. 
That's fair.  I'm generally bearish on the hot hand theory, but I can see the argument.

He's looked bad at the dish.  1 for 18.  His timing is off.  Hosmer is raking, you can't bench him.  Suppose they could opt for Goldy over Stanton at DH, but that's kinda splitting hairs.

Gotta ride the hot hands in this format. :shrug:  
18 PAs is an incredibly tiny sample in baseball.  Trout is 1-12 in the playoffs.  Goldschmidt has dominated MLB pitching substantially over multiple years, 2000+ PAs.  he ought to be in the lineup.

the hot hand fallacy in baseball has been mostly debunked.

18 PAs is an incredibly tiny sample in baseball.  Trout is 1-12 in the playoffs.  Goldschmidt has dominated MLB pitching substantially over multiple years, 2000+ PAs.  he ought to be in the lineup.

the hot hand fallacy in baseball has been mostly debunked.
So you are saying players don't go into slumps and/or hot streaks? Usually they are based on actual physical things (bad habits at the dish, etc).

So you are saying players don't go into slumps and/or hot streaks? Usually they are based on actual physical things (bad habits at the dish, etc).
Definitely not saying that.  Obviously streaks do happen.  What I'm saying is our ability to predict slumps and hot streaks, and whether slumps and hot streaks will continue is pretty small.  And that's really what we care about here in setting a lineup - predictive ability. 

Now, there are obviously exceptions (an injured player who is slumping will probably continue to slump until healthy, a guy who changed his approach in the offseason or in-season may continue to hit better) but in general a lot of hot/cold streaks are just variance.  With that said, I don't think there's anything going on with Goldy.  Maybe he is shaking some rust off, maybe he's just been unlucky.  I'm willing to bet he's gone on a 1-18 streak a few times before in his career and then raked in his following 18 ABs.

Users who are viewing this thread