What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 World Baseball Classic Thread (2 Viewers)

Puerto Rican dugout emptied between innings because of some disturbance in the crowd along the third base line
I thought you said this was a fun, festival type atmosphere. Looked like PR hauled ### after the game to dodge trouble

Another great game between Japan and the Netherlands to start the day.  Been an incredible tournament so far!!

Fantastic atmosphere last night...DR was crazy but I was surprised at the noise made by the American fans.  The drums, dancing, hot women, and The Clevelander soothed my pain after the loss.  International tourney baseball is an experience.

Sad to see the Colombians go out like this after fighting so hard, coming so close on multiple occasions. Played their hearts out.

cosjobs said:
So if USA wins, they're in, right? Any path if they lose?
I think it comes down to runs allowed amongst common opponents in the three way tie by the three teams tied at 1-2.  If that is the case it comes down to Colombia vs. one of USA/Canada in a play in game.  Colombia gave up 1 and 3 - so their runs against is 4.  Canada gave up 4 and USA gave up 2.  So Canada needs to beat USA by 3 runs. I think if they only win by 2 then US will advance to play Colombia due to the batting average rules.  

So one bracket has the DR, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and then the poor US to get kicked around. And then the other has Japan, Isreal, the Dutch and Cuba? :lmao:  

Who came up with that? 4 of the top 5 teams are in one bracket. 

Most people on twitter are freaks. It's full of garbage people and trolls. I mean I use it for breaking news and it's great for that but there and the Facebook comments are where the worst dregs of earth hang out. 
What are you talking about???  :cstu:

There are have been a lot of exciting games so far. I hope it continues this week.

Lol at Mexico losing out because math is hard.

Woke up this morning, turned on the TV and Netherlands v Israel (I think.. is it really important anyway?) was on.

The talent in the WAG section of the Netherlands was top notch, so that made it entertaining.

Capella said:
So one bracket has the DR, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and then the poor US to get kicked around. And then the other has Japan, Isreal, the Dutch and Cuba? :lmao:  

Who came up with that? 4 of the top 5 teams are in one bracket. 
The format is designed to get different continents matched up in the semifinals

DR just had bases loaded with no outs in the first and got zero from it.  Bautista Ks, Santana flies to right and Segura gets nailed with a perfect throw on the tag. 

So USA plays DR, PR, and Venezuela. The weakest team is Venezuela who has one good starting pitcher, king Felix. Of course that's who they face first. Seems fair. 

Ugh had to look this up to see if you were serious. I like the tournament but I hate how the USA is the only team that seems to not take it as seriously as the others. 
Maybe they can fly in Kiermaier to save him the 3 ER a game he prevented for that guy last year. 

Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, and being I think the only Mariners fan on the board I have a pretty strong interest in the two starting pitchers in that game. Anybody watch? How did they look? By their lines they seemed to do not too bad. Felix looking like his old self?

How many american pitchers would you have to get through before Smyly (who pitched well) and Strolman? 30?

I don't honestly know but it seems like it would be a lot. 

The guy who made the final out last night was the 293rd pick in our fantasy league that completed the other day.   

USA USA USA

Last edited by a moderator:
What year is this? 1972? Do highlight clips on twitter/whatever not exist in your world?
This better? ----> "And yet you keep paying attention. :popcorn: "

I'm just trying to understand your point. Josh Harrison is a former All-Star who can play like 5 positions. He replaced Matt Carpenter on the roster after an injury just days before the tournament began. He's supposed to be the last guy off the bench on this team. If your argument is that Kinsler should've been in the lineup instead, I agree. But I'm not sure him being on the team is really an indictment of anything. You have a better USA utility player in mind for roster composition purposes?

Also: Mychal Givens has a career 2.75 ERA and 11.5 K/9 as a key late inning piece for one of your favorite team's division rivals over the last two seasons. The fact that you guys don't know that doesn't make the tournament dumb or him a bad pitcher.

List out the relievers you're mad aren't there.

Jansen? Not American.
Chapman? Not American.
Kimbrel? Played for USA last time, had injury issues last season he's working through this spring. 
Britton? Fair complaint.
Melancon? Just signed a deal with a new team. Those guys typically spend their full spring with a new team.
Osuna? Not American.
Oh? Not American.
Diaz? Not American.
Wade Davis? New team + arm injury last year.
Andrew Miller? On the team.

Must be a miserable existence complaining about #### all the time. Don't envy your outlook on things at all.

You're way more mad about this than I am. I'm not mad at all, I just think it's stupid, a waste of time and a huge risk that the teams shouldn't have to take. Also nobody is watching this thing. Petco was half-full last night for a USA game. They couldn't even get espn to broadcast this and they showed the World Cup of Hockey. (DR - USA did have a big crowd but that's been about it)

I don't really ##### about much at all. Just baseball and how slow/boring it can be. Sorry that upsets you so much but feel free to block me instead was of shaking your fist at your computer all day. I can't think of anything I care less about than your opinion of me. 

You're way more mad about this than I am. I'm not mad at all, I just think it's stupid, a waste of time and a huge risk that the teams shouldn't have to take. Also nobody is watching this thing. Petco was half-full last night for a USA game. They couldn't even get espn to broadcast this and they showed the World Cup of Hockey. (DR - USA did have a big crowd but that's been about it)

I don't really ##### about much at all. Just baseball and how slow/boring it can be. Sorry that upsets you so much but feel free to block me instead was of shaking your fist at your computer all day. I can't think of anything I care less about than your opinion of me. 
Typical. I ask you to give some substance to your nonsense in baseball threads, and you respond by calling it "stupid" ... "baseball is boring" ... "it's a waste of time" ... etc. :yawn:

You keep trying to create a narrative based on your take, and I'm just trying to bring facts into the discussion. From MLB.com:

The 2017 World Baseball Classic set numerous tournament attendance records after the completion of the first round of play. The tournament reached record attendance for games played through the first round with 621,851 fans marking a +34% increase over the previous record of 463,017 which was established during the 2013 Classic.

Pool B, held at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan, registered the largest attendance of any pool in the history of the tournament with a total of 206,534. The average attendance for Japan's three first round games was 42,123. Japan's 11-6 victory over Cuba on March 7, which drew a crowd of 44,908, was the largest attendance of the first round and the third-largest crowd in the tournament's history. 

Pool C, held at Marlins Park in Miami, drew a total of 163,878, which was the highest first round total for a U.S. pool in the tournament's history. The top game from Miami was the sold out USA vs. Dominican Republic thriller which the DR captured 7-5 in front of 37,446 fans, marking the largest crowd in Marlins Park history.
Last night there was 32,463 in attendance at Petco, which holds 42,455. Disappointing that it was 5k less, but Miami is much closer to DR than San Diego is to PR.

As for the bolded, I think you misinterpret. I didn't mean to imply you were mad. Just letting you know you come off as generally miserable and mostly misguided on this topic (and baseball in general). Take a look at this thread as a microcosm. You're basically a big ole wet blanket. I don't think I need to block or be mad at you to say that-- we're here to discuss each other's takes on baseball, right? 

I'm sure you're a swell, glass half full kind of guy in real life in spite of a decade-plus of suggesting otherwise with your smarmy online persona. <---- I actually mean that sincerely, guy. If you don't want that take, don't be that guy online.

I dunno man, why don't you discuss the fact that MLB couldn't find a network to show the games so they had to themselves? Or why there was talk of shutting this thing down after this year? I mean, you tell me we are here to discuss our takes on baseball yet you actively jump down my throat anytime I talk about it here. Kind of hypocritical no?

Even the stats you posted aren't great. You're pointing to an average of 27k fans in Miami as a plus??

As for not being that guy, seems like a lot of people here appreciate my posts, even if not necessarily on baseball, and even if you don't.

Anyways, I'm off to go to the basketball games with my wife. You stay bitter on the internet about a contrarian opinion to yours. 

Users who are viewing this thread