What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 World Baseball Classic Thread (2 Viewers)

Capella said:
So why is there talk about them sunsetting it then?
I'm not sure where that's coming from.  But I can say that hearing (almost) from the horses mouth, it's very important to Manfred...and he has a commitment from the PA.

The one thing everyone in baseball agrees on is making money.  The WBC isn't doing that.  It's tough to find a paying customer for broadcast rights with the weird timeslots and competition from a zillion college basketball games.  The attendance for home teams is fine but it's hard to sell tickets for the other games.

The on-field product isn't perfect but critics are dwelling on stuff like the pitch counts that impact both sides equally.  The round robin pools have produced some excitement and I'm looking forward to the second round next week.  The early elimination of Korea and Taiwan is going to reduce interest in Asia.

The one thing everyone in baseball agrees on is making money.  The WBC isn't doing that.  It's tough to find a paying customer for broadcast rights with the weird timeslots and competition from a zillion college basketball games.  The attendance for home teams is fine but it's hard to sell tickets for the other games.

The on-field product isn't perfect but critics are dwelling on stuff like the pitch counts that impact both sides equally.  The round robin pools have produced some excitement and I'm looking forward to the second round next week.  The early elimination of Korea and Taiwan is going to reduce interest in Asia.
I love international competition in all sports. Probably my favorite sports thing to watch except college football. That said, the Japan games looked electric but seeing poor Cuba play in front of 300 people last night was embarrassing. I doubt there is a better answer but that really sucks. 

I was down on this but I will probably watch some more next week. I enjoy watching the Japanese team and their crowd. I expect the American team to be the same soulless group of mercenaries that it is every time. 

The big thing they need to figure out is selling broadcast rights.  Not sure how feasible that is for the reasons you described.  Maybe they need to go to more of an Olympics model where all the games for the tourney are in the same country?

ETA:  It would also help if Cuba could actually put together their legit team.  Not sure we're going to solve this anytime soon, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding games overseas is a Catch-22.   It's important for a nascent international event to have a global flavor.  But there's neither enough of an immigrant community or fans willing to travel to raise the local profile of games in Korea and Japan.  It's not just a WBC problem; a European Cup soccer qualifier between Holland and Israel probably wouldn't attract a full house in Seoul. 

This shouldn't be a problem for the round 2 games in San Diego but I think the Tokyo games next week not involving Japan will be lacking in atmosphere.

Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shiiiiiit Jim Leyland is the manager?????

These guys are pumped. The crowd is pumped. Normally players would be bored in spring training. How can people not like this?

These guys are pumped. The crowd is pumped. Normally players would be bored in spring training. How can people not like this?
You are correct about that and I get that. The counter to that however, is that I just saw Drew Smyly in the pile up after the game and they pinch hit for Paul ####ing Goldschmidt. It just doesn't feel really important. 

You are correct about that and I get that. The counter to that however, is that I just saw Drew Smyly in the pile up after the game and they pinch hit for Paul ####ing Goldschmidt. It just doesn't feel really important. 
Why do you hate America?

The pitching issue is something they'll never be able to fix but all the teams have those problems. 

Today's lineup:

1B - guy you never heard of 

2B - guy DFA'd by the Marlins in December

SS - career .192 hitter 

3B - guy who hit 23 homers in the Mexican league 

LF - backup Montgomery Biscuit

CF - guy who retired in 2015 but said yes to this 

RF - starting right fielder for the Mets 

DH - some fat guy 

today's starting pitcher started 8 games for the Omaha Round Rocks once and had a 7.57 era. He agreed to do this because he has 4 kids at home and wanted a break. 

It's march 11. Pitchers aren't ready. 

I also doubt I ever meet a human being who was let down, or even aware of this happening. 
You couldn't be more wrong. I've gotten nonstop notifications for the past two hours from fans who want to kill Miller.

Oh, sorry. Only you know sound, healthy, rational people.
Most people on twitter are freaks. It's full of garbage people and trolls. I mean I use it for breaking news and it's great for that but there and the Facebook comments are where the worst dregs of earth hang out. 

None taken, but I see very little of that. No time for it. The first sign that someone is rude or extremely dumb, they get blocked.

Carlos Correa is playing 2B for Puerto Rico.  He just got taken out by a runner on a 5-4 play.  

None taken, but I see very little of that. No time for it. The first sign that someone is rude or extremely dumb, they get blocked.
That's good. I see a lot of stuff get retweeted into my timeline. It's hideous. I just follow a bunch of people, don't really engage. 

They played him at 3B last night with Baez at 2B. Who's playing 3B tonight?
My mistake.  Correa is at 3B and threw the ball high to Baez at 2B.  In my defense, I'm watching on ESPN Deportes and I don't speak Spanish.

Puerto Rican dugout emptied between innings because of some disturbance in the crowd along the third base line

Users who are viewing this thread