Sinn Fein

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

20 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Racism?

That's a joke, right?

You know. The Russian race. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I really have never thought of this. I think casual racism is a bit too far, but all of the mentions of russian this and russian that, really is a broad brush painting a lot of people poorly. It doesn't really bother me, but it is interesting considering how offensive some of the most innocuous things can be to so many people these days. 

If mexican hackers were helping democrats and the GOP was constantly referencing mexican interference I think it is safe to say that this would be a talking point. 

It’s certainly possible, but I’m not sure it’s safe to say. 

3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

If they are a race there must be a corresponding racial epitaph.  All I can come up with is Rooskies.  Doesn't seem to have the stink of a genuine epitaph.  I could be wrong.  for all I know having written it out I will be immediately suspended.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

6 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

If they are a race there must be a corresponding racial epitaph.  All I can come up with is Rooskies.  Doesn't seem to have the stink of a genuine epitaph.  I could be wrong.  for all I know having written it out I will be immediately suspended.

I believe "cabbage-eater" was once popular.  Its translation into Russian is apparently offensive.

13 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yes, clearly he should have been more precise and said “certain Russian leaders.”

Yeah I think so.  There are millions of people who identify as “Russians” that are not affiliated with the Russian state, or trying to ‘sow discord’ or whatever.  

12 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I believe "cabbage-eater" was once popular.  Its translation into Russian is apparently offensive.

nekulturny

9 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Yeah I think so.  There are millions of people who identify as “Russians” that are not affiliated with the Russian state, or trying to ‘sow discord’ or whatever.  

and what race are they?

52 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Oh.  I thought you posted it because of the xenophobia, and confusing ‘sewing’ with ‘sowing.’  It’s pretty outlandish that people can just toss out casual racism when it comes to Russians.  

Russians are a race now?

26 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Or, as some like to call them in private, "The Master Race"

24 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Ivans?

Seemed popular in 80'ies movies

29 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I really have never thought of this. I think casual racism is a bit too far, but all of the mentions of russian this and russian that, really is a broad brush painting a lot of people poorly. It doesn't really bother me, but it is interesting considering how offensive some of the most innocuous things can be to so many people these days. 

If mexican hackers were helping democrats and the GOP was constantly referencing mexican interference I think it is safe to say that this would be a talking point. 

Yep, pretty much.  Just differentiate between the millions of ordinary people living there and the Russian state.  That’s all.  Don’t make every Slavic person sound like a Starship Trooper insect infesting the seams of democracy.  

11 minutes ago, joffer said:

and what race are they?

There are differences between race and ethnicity.  But they are chiefly considered a Slavic people, and there is a history of racist/xenophobic animus against them.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Slavic_sentiment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Russian_sentiment

2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Oh.  I thought you posted it because of the xenophobia, and confusing ‘sewing’ with ‘sowing.’  It’s pretty outlandish that people can just toss out casual racism when it comes to Russians.  

Outlandish casual Russian racism is the BEST racism ever.

2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

All I can come up with is Rooskies. .

It's what they call themselves, so probably not.

I gave to Mayor Pete's campaign after meeting him.  (work obligation to attend his rally)  I love lost causes.  This was the first time I have ever given to a national political campaign defining that as a campaign by a candidate for office.  I have given to political causes before. I have given to local candidates many times.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

There are differences between race and ethnicity.  But they are chiefly considered a Slavic people, and there is a history of racist/xenophobic animus against them.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Slavic_sentiment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Russian_sentiment

You should have gone with xenophobia from the beginning

Edited by msommer

15 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

work obligation to attend his rally

You know we're going to ask for details.

6 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

You know we're going to ask for details.

I am a minor functionary, wholly unimportant.  Sometimes minor functionaries have minor functions to perform.  Sometimes National candidates have to accommodate minor functionaries to get to middling functionaries.  Imagine me as a caddy.  I do not play the course, I walk the course carrying someone else's baggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I am a minor functionary, wholly unimportant.  Sometimes minor functionaries have minor functions to perform.  Sometimes National candidates have to accommodate minor functionaries to get to middling functionaries.  Imagine me as a caddy.  I do not play the course, I walk the course carrying someone else's baggage.

yeah a looper.....you know a caddy......jock.

Was this discussed in here at all?  I've gone through the last three pages and haven't seen it mentioned once.  Seems like a fairly big story on what would likely become a prominent point of discussion in a national race.

I wouldn't expect him to hide his orientation or downplay it, but the concept of pre-adolescent sexual orientation is still quite controversial. This issue could come into play with moderate voters.

2 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Was this discussed in here at all?  I've gone through the last three pages and haven't seen it mentioned once.  Seems like a fairly big story on what would likely become a prominent point of discussion in a national race.

I wouldn't expect him to hide his orientation or downplay it, but the concept of pre-adolescent sexual orientation is still quite controversial. This issue could come into play with moderate voters.

I'm glad it isn't a big story because it shouldn't be.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sheriff Bart said:

I'm glad it isn't a big story because it shouldn't be.  

I've seen several articles on it on my news feeds.

12 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

What part of what Pete did or said would be controversial?

6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

What part of what Pete did or said would be controversial?

I'm pretty sure you are being willfully ignorant here, but it is the age of the child to whom he said it.

“It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone go out there and tell the world. And to see you willing to come to terms with you who you are in a room full of thousands of people you never met, that’s really something,” he added.

The former South Bend mayor went on to warn Zachary that, while “it won’t always be easy,” what’s really important is that “you know who you are,” because when you have that, “you have a center of gravity that can hold you together when all kinds of chaos is happening around you.”

Edited by Jayrod

1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

I'm pretty sure you are being willfully ignorant here, but it is the age of the child to whom he said it.

“It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone go out there and tell the world. And to see you willing to come to terms with you who you are in a room full of thousands of people you never met, that’s really something,” he added.

The former South Bend mayor went on to warn Zachary that, while “it won’t always be easy,” what’s really important is that “you know who you are,” because when you have that, “you have a center of gravity that can hold you together when all kinds of chaos is happening around you.”

And?  The kid was coming out...Pete responded based on his own experiences to a person who brought this up.  

To claim that statement is controversial is looking for something ti be offended by rather than him saying anything wrong.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

What do you want him to say? “Listen, kid, you don’t get to be gay yet. Run along home”?

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

What do you want him to say? “Listen, kid, you don’t get to be gay yet. Run along home”?

The truth. But then again our society doesn't seem too keen on that whole concept.

Being brave is a good concept, but who a nine year old boy is will change dramatically over the years. Telling the kid that he has locked it in already is just not possible at his age.  Or how about not choosing the kid to come up on stage and make a big deal of it? This was Pete's campaign that decided to make a big deal of this.  I would assume there were a lot of other questions they could have chosen to address during the rally.

10 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

The truth. But then again our society doesn't seem too keen on that whole concept.

Being brave is a good concept, but who a nine year old boy is will change dramatically over the years. Telling the kid that he has locked it in already is just not possible at his age.  Or how about not choosing the kid to come up on stage and make a big deal of it? This was Pete's campaign that decided to make a big deal of this.  I would assume there were a lot of other questions they could have chosen to address during the rally.

And when you say “truth” what is it that you mean he should say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

Being brave is a good concept, but who a nine year old boy is will change dramatically over the years. Telling the kid that he has locked it in already is just not possible at his age.  

Have you ever met a gay 9 year old?

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

What about what he told him wasn't the truth?

The truth like...well the GOP will tell you that being gay is a choice and one you cant make yet...so good luck kid.

That “truth”?

2 hours ago, Jayrod said:

I was hoping you had some real dirt 

3 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Not here, but yes, in the LGBT+ thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/765610-lgbt-lgbtq-lgbt-thread/page/18/?tab=comments#comment-22519717

Edited by squistion

7 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Minor Functionaries Unite!

• Laughing 1

4 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I remember being nine.  I remember being attracted to girls.  Not strongly as it would become, but certainly.

5 hours ago, Jayrod said:

did someone tell the kid he has “locked it in”?

15 hours ago, Jayrod said:

I've seen several articles on it on my news feeds.

I didn't say that GB, I'm just glad we as a culture are more accepting. 

19 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Been there done that. Though I met a crap ton of people. 

13 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

https://twitter.com/kylekulinski/status/1232323097891614720

Pete (and Beto) were always cheap Obama knockoffs. Empty vessels clinging onto an archetype of a successful politician and using platitudes & cliches to fill the policy substance void.

But if they got the nomination still better to vote for them than Trump.  

19 minutes ago, toshiba said:

But if they got the nomination still better to vote for them than Trump.  

Neoliberals like Obama are the reason we got Trump.  We need a new brand of politics, not more empty suits.  

5 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Neoliberals like Obama are the reason we got Trump.  We need a new brand of politics, not more empty suits.  

It’s the brand where we name post offices and shout a lot instead of getting anything meaningful passed, isn’t it?

55 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Whatever you think of Mayor Pete, this is incredibly moving: A nine-year-old boy asks how he can be brave and tell people he is gay too

Except conservatives are going buts claiming it was staged and that how dare Pete say such things...the kid cant know he is gay yet and so on.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I recall in elementary school (figuring ages 8-11), there were some boys that were obviously gay TM (in hindsight, as a fellow 8-11 year old it did not mean anything to me). Through the power of facebook it looks like all of the obviously gay children are now obviously gay adults as confirmation. Of course, there are less obviously gay children that became gay adults, but I think there is plenty of evidence that kids can know that young. I wonder if any elementary school teachers keep track to see how accurate they are 10 years later, seems like it would be an interesting study.

30 minutes ago, huthut said:

I recall in elementary school (figuring ages 8-11), there were some boys that were obviously gay TM (in hindsight, as a fellow 8-11 year old it did not mean anything to me). Through the power of facebook it looks like all of the obviously gay children are now obviously gay adults as confirmation. Of course, there are less obviously gay children that became gay adults, but I think there is plenty of evidence that kids can know that young. I wonder if any elementary school teachers keep track to see how accurate they are 10 years later, seems like it would be an interesting study.

I bet there are plenty of former classmates that aren't gay, but if you heard that they were you would say "oh yeah, obviously". 

Usually these stories are reactive to hearing "the news." 

Not 100% of the time of course, but that's been most of my experience, which of course could be very different from somebody else. 

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I bet there are plenty of former classmates that aren't gay, but if you heard that they were you would say "oh yeah, obviously". 

Usually these stories are reactive to hearing "the news." 

Not 100% of the time of course, but that's been most of my experience, which of course could be very different from somebody else. 

Yea, I know. It is super easy to be confident with your answer after the fact. I just feel like there were a few boys where it would have been super obvious to an adult that they were gay, even at ages < 10. Maybe it is just confirmation bias, since I don't recall having a kinsey scale for everyone I went to elementary school with. I would definitely agree that there are probably way more people that don't draw any attention and come out later as a complete surprise.