What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you pronounce this word....phenom (1 Viewer)

How do you pronounce phenom

• Fee Nom

Votes: 64 100.0%
  • Fuh Nom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fen um (like Venom with an F)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
One of our favorite Fishing spots in Canada is nick named "Phenomenal Island" .. we all call it "Fee Nom" for short.. :oldunsure:

I'm sure we all agree it's not the last one, like some doofus at work does....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never used this word and the only people I know who have have been on TV and say FEE-nom. Oddly.
My friend, who teaches political philosophy, uses the formal word a ton. Same with instantiation. Both are confusing as heck, as far as I can tell. 

I actually think the "correct" way is like say phenomenal without the 'enal' but no one I know does

Damn it I thought my edit snuck in :lol:
I'm laughing as I write this, but I think both are now acceptable usage. 

God. Could I be any bigger of a prig? YMMV should be attached to all my grammatical escapades

Warning: Janet Jackson in the link for eye candy and weirdness.  

I actually think the "correct" way is like say phenomenal without the 'enal' but no one I know does
Let's just remove the noun it get back to its adjectival roots.

ETA: I was fully prepared to use adjectival as a made up word but apparently it is, in fact, a word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's just remove the noun it get back to its adjectival roots.

ETA: I was fully prepared to use adjectival as a made up word but apparently it is, in fact, a word.
Yes, it is. I first encountered it through reading Tom Wolfe. He called adding an adjective to a political European reality designed for America the "Great adjectival catch-up" 

"Oh. You have fascism. Well (exasperated) we have social fascism."

Users who are viewing this thread