What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do the words "to" and "too" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do the words "to" and "too" rhyme?

• Well yeah, duh.

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • No, I say "tuh".

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

nirad3

Footballguy
Well? Do they?

I listen to a lot of NFL Radio and notice a lot of people pronounce the word "to" "tuh".

I need to pay attention to others in my life including myself to see just how prevalent this is.

My first instinct was to say they sound the same, but I think a good percentage of the time when I'm speaking, 'to' becomes 'tuh'.

"I went tuh the game."

I think for me it depends on the phrase it's a part of and how quickly I'm speaking. When I make an effort to speak clearly, then they're definitely homophones.

OK so I probably phrased my question wrong but jhib nailed it above. I probably say it "tuh" in certain circumstances myself. :oldunsure:

OK so I probably phrased my question wrong but jhib nailed it above. I probably say it "tuh" in certain circumstances myself. :oldunsure:

I'm guessing most people do without realizing it, and would only notice the difference when really paying attention to it. I don't think it's as big a difference in sound as it seems when you write it out.
Listen to a random youtube clip with conversation - here's an interview with Alex Trebek. I'm just going to go over the first minute or so:

DO: I just wonder what it's like... you live such a public life and such a high profile show... what is it like TUH have...TO deal with something so personal in front of everybody and talk openly about it?
AT: Well, I wanted TUH be honest with the public when I made my very first announcement about my health because I knew the story would get out and I wanted TUH be in control of how the story got out. I wanted our viewers, who are interested in my wellbeing, I'm sure, TO get the facts straight from the horse's mouth and not with any embellishments, not with any errors or fake news or whatever. And since then, I haven't been called upon TOO often TO speak in public, but I wanted TUH keep the audience apprised of what was going on, and if there were changes in my condition or my treatment process, I wanted them TO know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread