What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$$ How Much Do You Spend Per Work Day On Lunch? (1 Viewer)

Typical lunch for me these days is a spinach salad, can of beans, a greek yogurt, and a piece of fruit. Even shopping at Aldi's, that probably averages $4 or $5.
Dang bro-a plate of roughage, a can of beans, some Greek yogurt to add some dairy to your mix of high fiber and hard to digest foods. This seems like a genius way to get your boss to ask you to work from home moving forward. lol.

Work from home. So make something daily. I usually have one meal before dinner. So either late breakfast or some salad or something for lunch. But eat out way too much for dinner. Just the 2.of us now. Just easy to pick up a Greek salad, rotisserie chicken etc.

I quit eating out for lunch as it's too damn expensive. I'll usually bring some hard boiled eggs or a salad. Or just not eat.

$2-3 as I make and freeze protein shakes and have them for lunch each day. I’ve calculated the cost of the chocolate whey protein powder, the lactose free milk, the collagen powder, taurine, the coffee, and sprinkle of guarana powder I put in and it comes out to under $3. Each shake has close to 30 grams of protein, tastes like a blended iced coffee, low sugar, and gives the energy of an iced coffee.
so you make coffee with your shake and then freeze it? not understanding what you are saying, but it sounds awesome.

I work from home two days a week, so eat leftovers or make sandwich those days. The other three I'm always taking customers to lunch (sales job), so it's not on my dime.....but I'm in rural areas where the food options are not plentiful, and not always healthy. Wish I could pack from home those days too just so I'd eat better but when I walk into the place in the morning usually the first thing I'm asked is "where are we eating lunch today?" and I can't tell them no...

You all have convinced me. Starting New Year’s I’m going to start mixing up a small bag of gravel from the curbside with water from the closest puddle I can find. To make things more festive, I will top it with whatever I can shake out of the waste toner bin from the copier.
As the decades roll by, it's hard to be surprised around here, but I must say this thread is mildly shocking.

I had no idea the vast majority of FBG were pack an inexpensive healthy lunch every day folk.
I don't know why, but I imagined most folks ballin' out at the Olive Garden or something most days for lunch.

Nice.

I eat out 2-4x a week for lunch. There are still 2 places I can go and do lunch for less than $5:
- Sam's Club; 2 pizza slices and a fountain drink
- Taco Bell; 2 Chipolte Grilled Chicken Burritos (drink water)

I do prefer either a chicken burrito bowl from Qdoba ($11) or vegetable fried rice from a local Chinese place ($10.50). If I have the time and the mood strikes I'll go to a local Mexican place and spend $20 or to Braums for a $12 burger combo.

Probably average 3x's for $25/week.

I vastly prefer leftovers to sandwiches, but do try to bring lunch 2-3 times a week.

$2-3 as I make and freeze protein shakes and have them for lunch each day. I’ve calculated the cost of the chocolate whey protein powder, the lactose free milk, the collagen powder, taurine, the coffee, and sprinkle of guarana powder I put in and it comes out to under $3. Each shake has close to 30 grams of protein, tastes like a blended iced coffee, low sugar, and gives the energy of an iced coffee.
so you make coffee with your shake and then freeze it? not understanding what you are saying, but it sounds awesome.
Correct. I generally make a week of protein shakes at a time (7-8 shakes). I mix chocolate protein powder, cold brew coffee, lactose free 2% milk, a couple bananas, collagen powder (chocolate or plain flavor), taurine powder, guarana powder, and a bit of sugar free hazel nut syrup. I blend up with ice and pour them into clear plastic 24 oz cups (similar to the clear cups that iced coffee and Frappuccino’s come from at Starbucks) and freeze them. You can get those cups/lids/thick straws at cash/carry warehouse stores like Smart and Final or Costco. The shakes have roughly 30 grams of protein (24-25 from the whey protein, the collagen powder I use actually has a bit of protein in it), protein from the milk, the collagen is great for hair, skin, bones, and of course the taurine, guarana and coffee are very energizing. Not only do they taste really good, but they are very filling and they give you a lot of energy. My workplace has a refrigerator/freezer—so I’ll just put the frozen shake in the freezer until about an hour or 90 minutes before I want to start drinking it. In about an hour-90 minutes out of the freezer—the frozen drink literally thaws into a great consistency—like that of a regular ice blended drink. I highly recommend it.

Often skip lunch, but if I get a meal at the cafeteria it’s around $15.

I work evenings as well. Sometimes I’ll wait for dinner when I get home, but a coworker has been ordering food lately, for whoever is interested.

Delivery services like Doordash are expensive. A bowl of veggie pho, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower was $50.

Last edited:
You all have convinced me. Starting New Year’s I’m going to start mixing up a small bag of gravel from the curbside with water from the closest puddle I can find. To make things more festive, I will top it with whatever I can shake out of the waste toner bin from the copier.
As the decades roll by, it's hard to be surprised around here, but I must say this thread is mildly shocking.

I had no idea the vast majority of FBG were pack an inexpensive healthy lunch every day folk.
I don't know why, but I imagined most folks ballin' out at the Olive Garden or something most days for lunch.

Nice.
Eat healthy and cheap during the week to justify the unhealthy and expensive weekend decisions.

LOL at a millionaire telling average people that they shouldn’t buy coffee. F off.

Work from home 100% of the time for the past four years. I make my own coffee every day and then I’ll make a smoothie around 9am or 10am. This is basically an early lunch. Late lunch is snacks or leftovers. I’ll then make dinner 50% of the time or go grab take out or grocery store deli the other 50% of the time. I’m pretty economical.

Nice.
Eat healthy and cheap during the week to justify the unhealthy and expensive weekend decisions.
This. Usually Thursday night starts a few nights of eating out and a few drinks/brews out on the town.

15 to 20 dollars a day. I eat any day I go to office which is usually 4 days a week. Usually work from home on Fridays and do leftovers that day.

Do coffee at home though plus free stuff my office gives us.

I work at home about 50% of the time. I mostly eat leftovers for lunch but try to support the local small business lunch spots near my office by grabbing lunch at one once a week. (Several closed during the pandemic, would like the others to stick around a while.)

LOL at a millionaire telling average people that they shouldn’t buy coffee. F off.
He is right though. They shoudn't buy coffee. I understand why people do but you do have to make choices along the way and if you want to save more money this is one way that adds up quick if you start figuring out how much all that crap costs.

It doesn't mean you can't or never do it. It means if you want to save more money stop spending on stuff you don't have to spend on.

He is right though. They shoudn't buy coffee. I understand why people do but you do have to make choices along the way and if you want to save more money this is one way that adds up quick if you start figuring out how much all that crap costs.

It doesn't mean you can't or never do it. It means if you want to save more money stop spending on stuff you don't have to spend on.
If you are talking quad shot mochas or $8 Frappuccinos....then yes I agree. But if we are just talking coffee then it's not that big of a difference. It's less than a $1 difference if I decide to go out and buy a large coffee or buy the beans and make it at home.

This week I have a pound of michigan cherry chicken salad (bout $11) a pack or pita bread (5). Wife made lentil soup..which is AMAZING. Call that.....10?
So let's see. $26 bucks and I can eat it all week. 5 bucks a day

Went to Longhorn for lunch today (normally we go to a non chain local place but had to hit up a specific store for an errand).

8.99 Lunch Chicken sandwich with choice of side Tax + Tip $12

Afternoon coffee is always the wildcard - sometimes its a small from wawa - sometimes its a Starbucks.

Today was a small cold brew at Starbucks for 4 something so I'l say $5

$17 today.

My wife and I go to lunch just about every Friday. She was a teacher for 16 years and never got lunches so now that she's changed careers we're making up for that lost time. Usually ends up being about $20. Occasionally I have to drive into the office for a meeting and if it's around lunch time I'll stop and get a fast food burger or something. I'd estimate $25/week in total.

The problem I have with buying stuff to make sandwiches at home is after 3 days I'm freaking sick of turkey sandwiches. Leftovers usually so it's just two meals in a row then on to the next dinner/lunch.

If you are talking quad shot mochas or $8 Frappuccinos....then yes I agree. But if we are just talking coffee then it's not that big of a difference. It's less than a $1 difference if I decide to go out and buy a large coffee or buy the beans and make it at home.
i did the math a while ago, cup of coffee is like 50 cents at home, and I buy either starbucks or another decent brand at the store, (usually get what's on sale)

I think Mr. O’Leary is a gigantic douche. These clowns saying coffee and lunch are the reasons people are poor are shifting the blame that belongs on companies that don’t properly compensate labour.

No problem at all with trying to save money. I rarely eat out. But billionaires who extract every penny they can then blame someone enjoying the few things they can afford is a gigantic pet peeve.

Leeches need to shut their mouths.

Sorry. Always hits a nerve. $7/8 occasionally for a couple slices or $12 burger.
Disagree, wages are almost always competition driven, not corporate greed.

In the same podcast he says, "I can walk around with anybody for a day and tell you they’re wasting 15% of their money sometimes 20% on stupid stuff.". It depends on where you are on your financial journey, but, if that's true that's way too high of a percentage for someone that isn't financially well off.

Lest see I got a 16oz coffee at wawa this morning for $2

Keurig are ~ .50-.75 a K Cup

So getting beans for a 16oz cup I could see it being only around $1 difference :shrug:

You are either buying $25 a pound beans or $.50 gas station coffee for this to be accurate
I buy a bag of beans for roughly $18. This is for the work week. If I go buy a cup of coffee every morning instead I'm paying $3.50 or $4. That's $20 vs. $18 or thereabouts. It's not significant.

i did the math a while ago, cup of coffee is like 50 cents at home, and I buy either starbucks or another decent brand at the store, (usually get what's on sale)
Sorry...I'm not drinking Folgers or Maxwell house.

Sorry...I'm not drinking Folgers or Maxwell house.

NOR SHOULD YOU! ;)

We like the 3/Lb bag of French Roast whole beans from Costco. I think that's like $12-15 or so? Really tasty when you grind them up daily.

Had a couple of those Taco Bell Chipolte Ranch Grilled Chicken stuffed burrito things for lunch. Surprisingly good and filling and only $4.87 total.

Took a picture of the sack and the burritos for my kids with the message "you can't touch these you savages"

The problem I have with buying stuff to make sandwiches at home is after 3 days I'm freaking sick of turkey sandwiches. Leftovers usually so it's just two meals in a row then on to the next dinner/lunch.
This was a good thread. I remember getting some ideas out of it to stay out of the rut:

You are either buying $25 a pound beans or $.50 gas station coffee for this to be accurate
I buy a bag of beans for roughly $18. This is for the work week. If I go buy a cup of coffee every morning instead I'm paying $3.50 or $4. That's $20 vs. $18 or thereabouts. It's not significant.
an $18 bag of beans makes a heluva lot more than 5 cups of coffee, come on. just bought a 12 oz bag of starbucks for $8 (on sale), easily makes like 15 cups of coffee - and i make my coffee pretty strong.

an $18 bag of beans makes a heluva lot more than 5 cups of coffee, come on. just bought a 12 oz bag of starbucks for $8 (on sale), easily makes like 15 cups of coffee - and i make my coffee pretty strong.
Yea, what the hell kind of cups of coffee are you drinking where you go through a a pound a week

One pound of beans using a measurement of 4 TBSP per pot will yield 16 cups of coffee.

$18 is for 300 grams. yes, I pay a lot for my beans. I’m a coffee snob.

Where do you usually buy your beans?

Where do you usually buy your beans?
I like Extracto and Coava beans.

I spend WAY too much on eating out. I work from office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and typically go out to eat those days. Usually around $15-20 each pop.

AND on Tuesdays when I work from home I usually run out and get some fast food. Another $15ish.

Fridays I usually just eat something at the house (WFH day), and weekends too.... unless I go out to a bar or something.

Not lunch, but eating out in general (which includes trips to the bar, eating out with friends, etc.) we have budgeted $350/month and slightly out pacing that for the year. Inflation a big part of the problem which we've been trying to offset by hitting the happy hour menus.

Had a couple of those Taco Bell Chipolte Ranch Grilled Chicken stuffed burrito things for lunch. Surprisingly good and filling and only $4.87 total.

Took a picture of the sack and the burritos for my kids with the message "you can't touch these you savages"
Huh. I just got back from a Border Run and I spent over $20. The grilled cheese burrito alone is $5, but man is it worth the money. Delicious. Had a couple of chipotle chicken roll-ups and rolled tacos w/ nacho cheese too. And the $3+ fountain drink :guffaw:

Good thing I won a $10 gift card at my work holiday party on Friday.

I think Mr. O’Leary is a gigantic douche. These clowns saying coffee and lunch are the reasons people are poor are shifting the blame that belongs on companies that don’t properly compensate labour.

No problem at all with trying to save money. I rarely eat out. But billionaires who extract every penny they can then blame someone enjoying the few things they can afford is a gigantic pet peeve.

Sorry. Always hits a nerve. $7/8 occasionally for a couple slices or $12 burger.

In the same podcast he says, "I can walk around with anybody for a day and tell you they’re wasting 15% of their money sometimes 20% on stupid stuff.". It depends on where you are on your financial journey, but, if that's true that's way too high of a percentage for someone that isn't financially well off.
Sure, a lot of people “waste” money on “stupid stuff.” But when do we sit back and ask ourselves why buying a coffee a day is a waste for someone working 40 hours a week.

Sure, a lot of people “waste” money on “stupid stuff.” But when do we sit back and ask ourselves why buying a coffee a day is a waste for someone working 40 hours a week.
When that person is in debt, has no emergency fund and no plan for retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread