What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Left Leaning Titles in the Politics Forum (1 Viewer)

Just from the first page...

"The North Korea Thread:  Trump has completely Blown this"

"....Barr Completely Lied About it"

"The Trump Years:  Every Day Something More Shocking than the Last"

"Fox News Cracks Me Up"

Are these the types of titles that are conducive to constructive conversation?   Further, why are a disproportionate number of the thread titles obviously left leaning?  Is this a left of center forum so it's accepted?
It depends on the subject matter, but I don't think there should editorializing in thread titles, whether whoever starts them is left or right leaning.

Of the four above you mention, three should be changed to

The North Korea Thread

The Trump Years

Fox News Thread

As far as The Russia Investigation thread is concerned, Barr did lie about it, so that is factually correct as far as I am concerned, although some might disagree (not sure on what grounds if they have been following the news). If I were the OP I would probably qualify the title to something like "Barr appears to have lied about it"

It depends on the subject matter, but I don't think there should editorializing in thread titles, whether whoever starts them is left or right leaning.

Of the four above you mention, three should be changed to

The North Korea Thread

The Trump Years

Fox News Thread

As far as The Russia Investigation thread is concerned, Barr did lie about it, so that is factually correct as far as I am concerned, although some might disagree (not sure on what grounds if they have been following the news). If I were the OP I would probably qualify the title to something like "Barr appears to have lied about it"
Exactly 

That is one of the most reasonable posts in this thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.  "Worst Ever", "Lied to your face",  "More shocking" , etc. A quick look shows that gotcha thread titles ('from all sides') are actually rare but still .. its childish and I wish OPs would refrain from the urge to be a D-nozzle when starting a new thread.

It depends on the subject matter, but I don't think there should editorializing in thread titles,
I disagree. This isn’t CNN. This is an opinion board. Thread titles, like posts, should reflect the opinion of the person who started them. Or not. Actually, so long as it’s within the rules and not rude or insulting to somebody here, the thread title should be whatever the person who started it wants it to be.  If you don’t like it, don’t read it or start your own thread with your own opinion. 

I disagree. This isn’t CNN. This is an opinion board. Thread titles, like posts, should reflect the opinion of the person who started them. Or not. Actually, so long as it’s within the rules and not rude or insulting to somebody here, the thread title should be whatever the person who started it wants it to be.  If you don’t like it, don’t read it or start your own thread with your own opinion. 
You have a real knack of using thread titles as a trolling device, kudos 

Unfortunately we can't put thread titles we find offensive on ignore, we have to look at them whether we want to or not and seeing something like "North Korea, Trump has really blown this" or "Don Jr. has committed treason, maybe" every single day for months gets really tiresome.

Unless the only purpose of the thread is to express an opinion, then one should leave the opinion for the posts in the thread. Bias should not be expressed in thread titles for topics that are general in nature, which is why I have it simply as "The Trump Tweets Thread" rather than adding my take on his tweet de jour (or of the moment).

You have a real knack of using thread titles as a trolling device, kudos 
I don’t start threads unless I believe what the title says. Shall we examine some of your thread titles? The ones in which you don’t attempt to change the entire subject half way through. 

I've asked Tim to limit this in the past. 
Umm, you’ve asked me to limit stating opinions, which I’ve done. You’ve NEVER asked me to limit trolling in a thread title, because I’ve never done that. And the person you’re responding to has a long record of doing exactly that. 

I miss those days too when every discussion wasn't a fight and the goal wasn't to "destroy" the other side. Back when people actually had an interest in hearing a viewpoint different than their own. 
I think most discussions about issues still tend to be like this. Look at the wealth inequality thread for example. Or the various health care threads. Sure people disagree but there’s a lot of good discussion. 

Where it always falls apart are in threads focused on a specific person (Trump most likely) or on scandals (like Russia). Or on issues that are so polarized already that nobody is going to learn anything or change their mind (gun control, abortion, etc.) 

Just from the first page...

"....Barr Completely Lied About it"

"The Trump Years:  Every Day Something More Shocking than the Last"

"Fox News Cracks Me Up"

Are these the types of titles that are conducive to constructive conversation?   Further, why are a disproportionate number of the thread titles obviously left leaning?  Is this a left of center forum so it's accepted?

I'll hang up and listen.
No

Because this board is left of left.

Yes

You know the answers, but for some reason I felt the need to respond 😉

Can you offer me an example of a thread title I’ve started that is clearly trolling? 
Bump. I don’t appreciate that this accusation was made and that anyone agreed with it. I have certainly started a lot of threads in the PSF, some with titles that are quite opinionated. I can’t think of a single one that was trolling. If you guys have an example please show me. 

Are these the types of titles that are conducive to constructive conversation?   
Let me comment on this one since it was offered in the OP. It was not trolling, it was added to the title  to express my sincere disappointment. If you look back through that thread you will find that I praised Trump for his initial efforts to meet with Kim. In fact, I wrote that if he made it work I would have to regard him as a good President no matter what I thought of his other policies and statements; that’s how important I thought it was. I was ready to give him every benefit of the doubt. But he failed to gain anything constructive and then he lied and bragged about it. He has actually made the situation worse. That is my judgment and the title reflected that; it was not dishonest and not meant to troll anyone. 

I removed the line yesterday after North Korea fired another missile, not because I changed my mind or reacted to this thread, but because the situation (crisis) with North Korea is now bigger than Trump; we’re going to have to figure a way out of this no matter who is President. 

Bump. I don’t appreciate that this accusation was made and that anyone agreed with it. I have certainly started a lot of threads in the PSF, some with titles that are quite opinionated. I can’t think of a single one that was trolling. If you guys have an example please show me. 
I have zero desire to engage with you on this. The one I recall was asking you to stop with the "Dow Collapses" in the titles. :shrug:

And please drop the "who me?" act. It's insulting to even the most casual board reader here. We've all been guilty of trolling in some ways. We all can do better. 

That's all from me on this. 

I miss those days too when every discussion wasn't a fight and the goal wasn't to "destroy" the other side. Back when people actually had an interest in hearing a viewpoint different than their own. 
Eh, I think it's about the same, except lots of people seem to lack a sense of humor (or even try to be funny / witty).

I have zero desire to engage with you on this. The one I recall was asking you to stop with the "Dow Collapses" in the titles. :shrug:

And please drop the "who me?" act. It's insulting to even the most casual board reader here. We've all been guilty of trolling in some ways. We all can do better. 

That's all from me on this. 
I wasn’t trying to engage you. I was asking @HellToupee and @Ramblin Wreck who made the accusation and agreed with it. I had no problem with your request and I followed through with it- but it was an opinion, not a troll. 

I agree with you that we are all guilty of trolling. I’ve done my share from time to time. I can do better and I try. But never in thread titles; that’s what I took issue with. 

I wasn’t trying to engage you. I was asking @HellToupee and @Ramblin Wreck who made the accusation and agreed with it. I had no problem with your request and I followed through with it- but it was an opinion, not a troll. 

I agree with you that we are all guilty of trolling. I’ve done my share from time to time. I can do better and I try. But never in thread titles; that’s what I took issue with. 
I have zero desire to engage you on this. 

I have zero desire to engage you on this without an apology 

Censoring, getting triggered, safe spaces. I remember when those were for Lefties. How times have changed.
No. Not really. While there certainly are conservatives that whine and attempt to create safe spaces, the left is the one obsessed with shielding themselves from opinions from differing viewpoints. Colleges and universities have been particularly guilty of shutting down speech they do not like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people play the game, take their knocks, and keep going.

Others spend their time #####ing at/about the refs and getting in petty fights with others.

Users who are viewing this thread