What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Left Leaning Titles in the Politics Forum (1 Viewer)

That's fair.  The lines get blurred sometimes.  I'm not pro Trump the person, but the republican party supports more of my views.  So I'll probably still support the guy in 2020. 
The lesser of 2 evils is always the right choice in politics 

This cartoon sums up this thread.

The division of opinions are exemplified by the minority stake holders to want to seem like 50% or more of the actual opinions on the matter. The overall majority sees an issue with Trump and backs it up with his own words, his own tweets, Mueller's findings, and the disturbance each of these has for the countries future. Shine a light on what is wrong and some people are attracted to the light like mosquitoes to a bug zapper. Those opinions, while they are screamed from the roof top, cannot admit that there is something wrong with how Trump is handling the presidency of the United States? When those wrongs are pointed out with facts, they are dismissed, quite easily by some of his supporters. That is... odd.

The cartoon sums up this board in that too many of the inaccurate, wrong, unjustified, is getting the light shined on it with the hopes of somehow legitimizing those opinions as valid. No, shine the light on what the facts are, what the truth is, what is actually happening. Ignore, drown out, don't reply, to the constant screaming of the inaccuracies because all that does is keep them in the conversation. Those opinions have no where to sit at the table.

It's like many anti-Climate Change people have harped on for some time now. They want one "scientist" of theirs to share the opposite opinion when the anti-Climate Change people should have three. To be fair, ninety-seven other scientists that follow facts, findings, and so forth need to be at the same table. It is not a 50/50 opinion and neither is what is going on with our government nor with this board.
That's a super interesting take on the cartoon.

I think the cartoon is accurate but with a very different message. I think it shows how people tend to focus on the outrage. To the point where they can create a very distorted view.

I don't think this is a left or right thing. I see it everywhere. A team can win the Super Bowl and 99% of the people will be thrilled and they'll choose to focus on the 1% that doesn't agree. It's human nature. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the cartoon is accurate but with a very different message. I think it shows how people tend to focus on the outrage. To the point where they can create a very distorted view.

I don't think this is a left or right thing. I see it everywhere. A team can win the Super Bowl and 99% of the people will be thrilled and they'll choose to focus on the 1% that doesn't agree. It's human nature. 
I agree with your analysis on this 100%.

See @Joe Bryant? It can happen 

Yep, but don't dare type out TDS here that is way over the line
I had a post about people not voting for Hillary today and it was deleted. It wasn't mean, malicious or condescending. And they can't figure out why people think the moderating isn't fair. 

Totally inaccurate depiction of this forum  and if that cartoon is what you think of the supporters of the President here it’s disgusting .

Shame on you
You are reading into the cartoon what you want. I explained the depiction of the cartoon in my reply. Do I need to reiterate what I stated above?

Thank you for reading my reply as to the depiction of the cartoon. What i stated as well as what is happening in this forum (as well as other places) is exactly what HellToupee took from it. I don't think he read what I wrote nor does it seem he internalized the point being made. He sees an image, without explanation, and assumes his own interpretation is exactly what everyone else interprets with the same image. That tale is as old as time. I could show plenty of examples of pictures that are not what they seem. Here, we see it in written form approximately an hour ago.

This has been playing out more than ever in recent years. An "attack" on Trump is not an attack on his voters, and does not call for rebuttal by his voters. A Trump voter that does not see what is happening as wrong... is wrong. Not one Trump voter has given an account as to why they agree with what is happening. Someone points out what Trump is doing, and, more often than not, the Trump supporter attacks back. Not an intellectual retort nor one based on a good argument either. I'd bet going through posts would exemplify this many times over.

Isn't the cartoon a media criticism, really? In other words, those who take the extremes of a position are getting the most attention and that, therefore, our view of what is really going on is distorted by the glare of the informational gatekeepers?

That's how I see it. There is an obvious and overwhelming majority being ignored because, for whatever reason, the information/news spotlight is elsewhere.

Never mind, I saw Joe posted something very similar. I think the cartoon is pretty clear and that Mario Kart is really missing the point of it. Then again, I don't blame him. Editorial cartoons are like political comedy. Neither is serious, neither is funny at its essence.  That's my two cents. 

It’s hardly a “fact”. I wasn’t going to reply again but you keep bringing it up. 

The only time I change titles, normally, is to update the news. Very rarely, as in the case of the North Korea thread a few months back, I changed a title to express an opinion. But it was an honest opinion and not trolling; I really DID think Trump had blown it (I explained why in an earlier post and also explained why I changed it again, and it had nothing to do with this thread.) 

i don’t think any examples can be found of me using thread titles to troll people, ever. Joe Bryant offered the example of “Dow collapses” but that was news for that day and taken directly from a CNBC headline; I made the mistake of leaving it up for 3 days after. When Joe asked me to change it I did, but it was never a troll in the first place. I can’t think of any other examples. Yesterday I challenged you guys to come up with one. I start a lot of threads, no doubt about that so it’s always possible I forgot something; if I had I will acknowledge it.  But I don’t think I have and nobody’s come up with any examples so I think your claim is false and unwarranted. 
I very strongly prefer colorful titles to bland, soulless titles like "The ______ Thread."  When they're punchy and get updated occasionally, they add flavor to a forum that takes itself way too seriously at times.  If people don't like a left-leaning title, start a new thread on a different topic and give it a right-leaning title.  We're all grown ups here.

Isn't the cartoon a media criticism, really? In other words, those who take the extremes of a position are getting the most attention and that, therefore, our view of what is really going on is distorted by the glare of the informational gatekeepers?

That's how I see it. There is an obvious and overwhelming majority being ignored because, for whatever reason, the information/news spotlight is elsewhere.

Never mind, I saw Joe posted something very similar. I think the cartoon is pretty clear and that Mario Kart is really missing the point of it. Then again, I don't blame him. Editorial cartoons are like political comedy. Neither is serious, neither is funny at its essence.  That's my two cents. 
Yes. It’s a criticism of the media absolutely but it’s also a criticism of all of us- after all, who are the media trying to please? 

In William Manchester’s The Arms of Krupp there is a description of the World’s Fair in 1890, in which a Krupp cannon was prominently featured. A journalist for the New York Times bemoaned the fact, asking where were the innovative farming equipment? Why were weapons so emphasized? The answer was that the farming equipment was there, and in fact it was revolutionary, but it was ignored by everyone including the journalist. 

We see what we want to see. In this case the cartoonist is pointing out that extremism in this country is in the minority and has always been in the minority, but that’s who we the public are interested in, so that’s who the media focuses on. I’m as guilty as anyone else. 

I very strongly prefer colorful titles to bland, soulless titles like "The ______ Thread."  When they're punchy and get updated occasionally, they add flavor to a forum that takes itself way too seriously at times.  If people don't like a left-leaning title, start a new thread on a different topic and give it a right-leaning title.  We're all grown ups here.
I absolutely agree. However that’s different from trolling. 

Some people: “The Executive Branch’s ignoring of a lawful subpoena (with the support of the GOP  members of the HJC) is a direct assault on our system of checks and balances.”

Some other people:  “The titles of the threads in the political forum are too...political.”

I had a post about people not voting for Hillary today and it was deleted. It wasn't mean, malicious or condescending. And they can't figure out why people think the moderating isn't fair. 
Meh...... I've had many posts like yours deleted too but taking about trump and his supporters. 

But my comment wasn’t negative or malicious. It wasn’t condescending. Ask @Mile High 
If it's what I saw, there was an implication that "smart people" vote for Trump and not for Hillary.  Flipped around the other way, many here have whined about those sorts of comments   :shrug:  

I'm not passing judgment one way or the other.  SImply pointing out it doesn't just happen to you are a small subset of this board.  It happens to a lot of us.

If it's what I saw, there was an implication that "smart people" vote for Trump and not for Hillary.  Flipped around the other way, many here have whined about those sorts of comments   :shrug:  

I'm not passing judgment one way or the other.  SImply pointing out it doesn't just happen to you are a small subset of this board.  It happens to a lot of us.
It’s ridiculous. All I said was there are good and smart people that realized Hillary wasn’t a good candidate. The fact that got deleted shows the bias here. I’d like to know which mod deleted that. 

It’s ridiculous. All I said was there are good and smart people that realized Hillary wasn’t a good candidate. The fact that got deleted shows the bias here. I’d like to know which mod deleted that. 
It's a bed that's been made by those not digesting dialogue in good faith and trying to say people are saying things they aren't.  Personally, I don't know why you care but to each his own.  I mean, what bias is shown when they delete my posts that are similar just the other direction? :shrug:  

It's a bed that's been made by those not digesting dialogue in good faith and trying to say people are saying things they aren't.  Personally, I don't know why you care but to each his own.  I mean, what bias is shown when they delete my posts that are similar just the other direction? :shrug:  
What posts have you had deleted?

What posts have you had deleted?
Ones for insinuating trump and/or his supporters aren't very bright.  I had several deleted for saying that trump supporters while they might not racist/sexist themselves don't seem to have a problem supporting one.  I could go on for pages.

That’s a big difference than what I posted.
Didn't seem to be if it's the one you posted talking about people being "smart enough" to not vote for Hillary or the "smart people" didn't vote for Hillary.  It's right in line with the posts I've had deleted :shrug:  

If it was some other one, I didn't see it...sorry.

I didn’t read your post but if it was what you say and nothing more, you were unfairly treated IMO. 

It may be because somebody reported and complained. I still don’t understand why people feel the need to do this. 

I didn’t read your post but if it was what you say and nothing more, you were unfairly treated IMO. 

It may be because somebody reported and complained. I still don’t understand why people feel the need to do this. 
Tim..my post was not malicious, mean, or directed at anyone. I’d like to see the mod that deleted be a man and explain why it was deleted.

It was one of those "smart enough to see...." sort of posts.  They don't like that stuff here :shrug:  

It was one of those "smart enough to see...." sort of posts.  They don't like that stuff here :shrug:  
Mile High said that some smart and good people were conned to vote for Trump. My reply was there are smart and good people that didn’t think Hillary was a good candidate. That’s it. It got deleted. It’s ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:
It’s ridiculous. All I said was there are good and smart people that realized Hillary wasn’t a good candidate. 

That was my take of his post. I agreed with his point. 

Dude, if you're bent out of shape from a mod deleting your post, maybe this place isn't for you.

Take your lumps, learn from them, live by the rules, or move on.

Lite ain't fair.

Mile High said that some smart and good people were conned to vote for Trump. My reply was there are smart and good people that didn’t think Hillary was a good candidate. That’s it. It got deleted. It’s ridiculous.
Then you were treated badly. 

That being said, if I scroll up the page I find that somebody linked to a cartoon and you joined HellToupee in putting the worst possible spin on it, called it despicable. Perhaps the mods here are not the only ones who misunderstand content and make unfair decisions. 

It’s hardly a “fact”. I wasn’t going to reply again but you keep bringing it up. 

The only time I change titles, normally, is to update the news. Very rarely, as in the case of the North Korea thread a few months back, I changed a title to express an opinion. But it was an honest opinion and not trolling; I really DID think Trump had blown it (I explained why in an earlier post and also explained why I changed it again, and it had nothing to do with this thread.) 

i don’t think any examples can be found of me using thread titles to troll people, ever. Joe Bryant offered the example of “Dow collapses” but that was news for that day and taken directly from a CNBC headline; I made the mistake of leaving it up for 3 days after. When Joe asked me to change it I did, but it was never a troll in the first place. I can’t think of any other examples. Yesterday I challenged you guys to come up with one. I start a lot of threads, no doubt about that so it’s always possible I forgot something; if I had I will acknowledge it.  But I don’t think I have and nobody’s come up with any examples so I think your claim is false and unwarranted. 
When/why did you change the title of the wall thread ?

When/why did you change the title of the wall thread ?
I’ve changed that one several times to reflect changes in the news. Some of the changes certainly reflect my honest opinion- as you’re aware, I’m VERY opinionated about that particular issue. None of the titles in that thread have ever been trolling. 

I’ve changed that one several times to reflect changes in the news. Some of the changes certainly reflect my honest opinion- as you’re aware, I’m VERY opinionated about that particular issue. None of the titles in that thread have ever been trolling. 
:bs:

Which part?  You did, in fact, delete several threads.

You did, in fact change subtitles to threads even to call out members specifically.

To your credit...it wasn’t mean spritited and was schtick and you’d even apologize for it.

Instead if complaining to us, have you PM'd any of the moderators?

Users who are viewing this thread