What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Yang and Driverless Trucks - Not a Fan (1 Viewer)

randall146 said:
He’s not particularly opposed to driverless trucks, or telephone lines. He’s a smart guy who understands the economy and is preparing for its future. 

You should look into his policies. There’s a good chance you’ll think he’s neither a lunatic nor a clown. He actually makes a lot of sense, across the political spectrum. 
Will do, I admittedly don't know a lot about him.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in trucking and logistics for my entire career.  I was surprised some of you actually seemed knowledgeable.  That's not a knock on this board, but rather it seems the general population doesn't understand trucking or the industry.

My thoughts are we are in a sever driver shortage that is not correcting anytime soon. As said before, drivers are getting older and it is VERY hard to find guys to haul things like steel coils, or hazardous materials, or other more labor intensive freight.  

So some driver less technology could be beneficial.   It could reduce the need for so many drivers.  There are many many applications where they could be utilized.  The need for a human behind the wheel wont go away in our lifetimes, but something to help the crushing driver shortage would be welcomed.

I think you guys are way optimistic.  I've read more than one industry source say they expect driverless trucks to really start impacting things in a few years. And once we are past the initial start up it will snowball. But we'll see. 

I've been in trucking and logistics for my entire career.  I was surprised some of you actually seemed knowledgeable.  That's not a knock on this board, but rather it seems the general population doesn't understand trucking or the industry.

My thoughts are we are in a sever driver shortage that is not correcting anytime soon. As said before, drivers are getting older and it is VERY hard to find guys to haul things like steel coils, or hazardous materials, or other more labor intensive freight.  

So some driver less technology could be beneficial.   It could reduce the need for so many drivers.  There are many many applications where they could be utilized.  The need for a human behind the wheel wont go away in our lifetimes, but something to help the crushing driver shortage would be welcomed.
So if you were a 46 year old looking for a new career do you feel truck driving would be feasible? Or smart to try?

So if you were a 46 year old looking for a new career do you feel truck driving would be feasible? Or smart to try?
I do...I think it's a legit middle income job.  While there are still some long haul jobs that would keep you out for long stretches, trucking companies are doing a lot to try and eliminate the away from home parts of truck driving.    I was paying my drivers 80K a year.   Early starts, home by 4PM, weekends off.   Good money in my opinion. 

Plus, in many ways, you are your own boss.  Yeah the regulations are very big brother, but you are in your truck, without your boss over your shoulder.   

And as long as you keep a decent safety record, it is virtually guaranteed employment.  In any city in america.   Every truck driving outfit is looking for drivers.  

I don't read that quote as "Driverless trucks are bad."  I read it as "Driverless trucks will have bad effects on truck-drivers, and we should help mitigate those effects."

Edit: On reflection, maybe I'm misreading Yang.  That proposed tax on Amazon, Google, and Facebook (?) comes off as punitive just for the sake of being punitive, so maybe he really is opposed to automation.
I thought it was about a new @Truckasaurus alias. 

You have no worries at all about getting phased out due to driverless trucks. 

Truck driving has plenty of negatives obviously, but if you think the work itself is fine, there is literally no better time to be a truck driver. Pay is climbing. Companies are making all sorts of changes to make the job more appealing. 

I know one company that has a few rotating helpers that ride along just to make some days easier and more enjoyable. 

Near a major port? (Houston?) Worse things in the world than draying two or three loads from port to door and watching a couple of lumpers work. (Course Houston is more oil/gas).

Warehousing in Dallas is booming and that's an easy turn from the railyards.

Are we really facing a huge disruption in this industry? I'm seeing two things in this thread:

1) Automation is coming to the trucking industry.
2) There is a lack of drivers in the trucking industry.

So maybe the trucking industry will wind down naturally if there is such a lack of drivers and the automation ready. Current drivers can simply retire over time and have their routes filled by automation. There wouldn't be a big loss of "jobs" since no one really seems to want these jobs anyway. 

Those that remain in the industry can move to the hazardous hauls or other positions that cannot be automated (yet). Until they retire and the technology is there it replace those drivers too.

I mean, that is simplistic, but if (1) and (2) are true, maybe the whole thing is overblown.

Are we really facing a huge disruption in this industry? I'm seeing two things in this thread:

1) Automation is coming to the trucking industry.
2) There is a lack of drivers in the trucking industry.

So maybe the trucking industry will wind down naturally if there is such a lack of drivers and the automation ready. Current drivers can simply retire over time and have their routes filled by automation. There wouldn't be a big loss of "jobs" since no one really seems to want these jobs anyway. 

Those that remain in the industry can move to the hazardous hauls or other positions that cannot be automated (yet). Until they retire and the technology is there it replace those drivers too.

I mean, that is simplistic, but if (1) and (2) are true, maybe the whole thing is overblown.
Exactly the point I made above.   There is enough of a driver shortage that some automation could be very good

I agree..and there will be people killed by driverless trucks and outrage..but then there are many people killed by trucks with drivers as well.
Liability is going to become a very big issue.  Are carmakers going to take responsibility for AI failures? 

Liability is going to become a very big issue.  Are carmakers going to take responsibility for AI failures? 
That will be for the manufacturers, trucking companies, lawyers, and courts to figure out.  But it's not going to be substantially different from now, where the carriers and manufacturers share liability and carry insurance.

The big change, in my view, will be a overall reduction in accidents, and that helps everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread