What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Disney’s Aladdin Islamophobic? CAIR seems to think so. (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
https://www.cair.com/cair_calls_on_movie_reviewers_to_address_racial_religious_stereotypes_perpetuated_by_aladdin

For those who don’t know, CAIR is the Council of American Islamic Relations, probably the leading political spokespeople for Muslims in this country. 

I’ve always loved Aladdin, my kids loved it, performed in it at a community theater years ago, etc. I’ve seen the original movie with my kids a zillion times, and the live show at Disney’s California Adventure. I’m a bit surprised at the opinion here. There is no mention of Islam in the movie, and as to Arabs, I thought that Aladdin and Jasmine presented positive images. But perhaps I am naive. Thoughts? 

They tend to demonize Western culture so when we project Western culture on Arab characters they take offense.  

The link references “orientalism”, which is a colonialist view of N.Aftica and the Middle East. Generally speaking, colonialist concept carries a negative connotation. 

The link references “orientalism”, which is a colonialist view of N.Aftica and the Middle East. Generally speaking, colonialist concept carries a negative connotation. 
Right but they didn’t offer any specific examples in the film, and I can’t think of any. 

I know that in the original film there were some offensive lyrics in the opening song “It’s barbaric but hey it’s home!” but they edited that out. 

https://www.cair.com/cair_calls_on_movie_reviewers_to_address_racial_religious_stereotypes_perpetuated_by_aladdin

For those who don’t know, CAIR is the Council of American Islamic Relations, probably the leading political spokespeople for Muslims in this country. 

I’ve always loved Aladdin, my kids loved it, performed in it at a community theater years ago, etc. I’ve seen the original movie with my kids a zillion times, and the live show at Disney’s California Adventure. I’m a bit surprised at the opinion here. There is no mention of Islam in the movie, and as to Arabs, I thought that Aladdin and Jasmine presented positive images. But perhaps I am naive. Thoughts? 
That is dumb. 

Why does everything have to be dishonest these days too? They say school districts are pulling the aladdin jr play as if it was some independent from them thing. Nope. Cair got it yanked. 

This kind of crap is getting old. 

Users who are viewing this thread