What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (2 Viewers)

Something like that, maybe 3%.  I was joking.  I'm not about to go all cash. 
Yeah, frequently this board reads like the old Yahoo Finance message boards for the individual stocks back in the late 1990's.  I can remember those days of the anonymous posting bears just jamming the boards 

Is that a bearish etf?
Top Holdings

NameSymbol% Assets

S&P 500 Index Swap Societe GeneraleN/A40.43%

S&P 500 Index Swap Ubs AgN/A38.95%

S&P 500 Index Swap Credit Suisse InternationalN/A29.97%

S&P 500 Index Swap Bnp ParibasN/A29.16%

S&P 500 Index Swap Goldman Sachs InternationalN/A28.09%

S&P 500 Index Swap Bank Of America NaN/A23.51%

S&P 500 Index Swap Citibank NaN/A15.36%

E-mini S&P 500 Future Mar20ESH05.44%

Microsoft CorpMSFT4.12%

Apple IncAAPL4.10%

Had to look it up.  

Yeah, frequently this board reads like the old Yahoo Finance message boards for the individual stocks back in the late 1990's.  I can remember those days of the anonymous posting bears just jamming the boards 
Not to mention the pump and dumpers.  There was one particular small cap, I honestly can't remember what company, that I kept seeing  pumped.  What really sucked is I already had a small position in it which made suspicious but it kept going up.

One night at the bar a friend of mine mentioned the stock and how another guy told him it was the next big thing.  :redflag:  I sold half my position the next Monday and got my money back.  The remaining shares were worthless a year later.

I bought UPRO today.

:oldunsure:
I've been defensive for about 8 months now yet have still done well.  I moved quite a bit more out of the market S&P a couple of weeks ago  though.  I need  to see how this election turns out before pushing more chips in the middle.

Not to mention the pump and dumpers. 
If anyone here was pumping DE today I'm very grateful!  :moneybag:

I've been defensive for about 8 months now yet have still done well.  I moved quite a bit more out of the market S&P a couple of weeks ago  though.  I need  to see how this election turns out before pushing more chips in the middle.
2019 was a year where just about everything did at least ok (except some commodities and other sundries).  This isn't an unexpected outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone here was pumping DE today I'm very grateful!  :moneybag:
Some people got slaughtered on that.  Everyone was expecting a miss.  I've been wanting to gamble on retailers the last 6-9 months and would have been A LOT more right than wrong but can't afford to be wrong right now.

Some people got slaughtered on that.  Everyone was expecting a miss.  I've been wanting to gamble on retailers the last 6-9 months and would have been A LOT more right than wrong but can't afford to be wrong right now.
I've been holding that one for years.  As usual I wish I had more today!

True but between that and the election I'm happy to sit still for the next 9 months. 
This isn't a bad idea in an election year as long as you have been in the market and benefited from this great run. If I had been on the sidelines the last few years I don't know what I would do. 

This isn't a bad idea in an election year as long as you have been in the market and benefited from this great run. If I had been on the sidelines the last few years I don't know what I would do. 
Yeah it would be.  I hate to say I've been in that boat before and it's a bad bad feeling.  At some point I figured out I had to just get back in and admit I was wrong on a macro level at the time.  The money lost will never come back.  You have to make it in other ways but you never recover that mistake.

Yeah it would be.  I hate to say I've been in that boat before and it's a bad bad feeling.  At some point I figured out I had to just get back in and admit I was wrong on a macro level at the time.  The money lost will never come back.  You have to make it in other ways but you never recover that mistake.
True, long term the trend is always up. For people that can’t handle the downturns I guess it may help them and maybe they get lucky timing the market. 

With such a long time until retirement I try to look at pullbacks as stocks going on sale. I’ve been hedging a little putting more towards my mortgage and some tax free bonds instead of all stocks but still put a decent amount into equities. 

My investments up 59% in the last 3 years (including deposits, which are maybe 10% of that).  So yeah, being in gold the last 3 years would have sucked.  BTW, this guy did a spectacular study of how sitting on the sidelines or buying on the dip would have done.  It's an awful strategy.  Short and easy read.

Election years tend to be pretty good.  It's the first two years that tend to be mediocre.  3rd year tends to be the best one in the cycle, as it may well be this time around.

True, long term the trend is always up. For people that can’t handle the downturns I guess it may help them and maybe they get lucky timing the market. 

With such a long time until retirement I try to look at pullbacks as stocks going on sale. I’ve been hedging a little putting more towards my mortgage and some tax free bonds instead of all stocks but still put a decent amount into equities. 
I've been building some cash in case of a pullback.  That should give me some flexibility on stocks or the ability to acquire some properties in the event of an economic downturn.

This is why some in the investment threads accuse me of being too rosy.  I purposely bias myself to a positive view of the markets.  I have a 3 out of 4 chance of being right that way, no skill needed! 

I'll have to see some horrible clouds on the horizon to start selling/hedging like I did summer of '08.

This is why some in the investment threads accuse me of being too rosy.  I purposely bias myself to a positive view of the markets.  I have a 3 out of 4 chance of being right that way, no skill needed! 

I'll have to see some horrible clouds on the horizon to start selling/hedging like I did summer of '08.
I invest some in stocks every month but am also tempted to retire some real estate debt while at all time highs. I know with mortgages in the 3-4.25% range that’s not a great return but with the significant growth of my equity investments the last few years I can take a much bigger bite out of debt than I could years ago. 

I invest some in stocks every month but am also tempted to retire some real estate debt while at all time highs. I know with mortgages in the 3-4.25% range that’s not a great return but with the significant growth of my equity investments the last few years I can take a much bigger bite out of debt than I could years ago. 
There's nothing wrong with retiring debt.  I would have retired my 2.875% mortgage debt this year if I could have freed up the cash.  I was a bit short, so hopefully the market does better than 3% or so in that account to beat down the risk averse spokesman inside my head.

It's like they're hoping that the stock market - and America - crash and burn under Trump.  Almost sickening to see such glee when the stock market goes down, hoping for a crash like in the 1920's.
Seems like a strange interpretation. Have you considered looking at things from other people’s perspectives and assuming they’re good people?

Seems like a strange interpretation. Have you considered looking at things from other people’s perspectives and assuming they’re good people?
What do you think one can assume from posters reacting with glee whenever the stock market dips?  You think that's conducive to being a good person?

It's like they're hoping that the stock market - and America - crash and burn under Trump.  Almost sickening to see such glee when the stock market goes down, hoping for a crash like in the 1920's.
I hope the market keeps going up and the economy keeps doing well.  I also hope that Trump doesn’t turn America into a dictatorship.  Those two thoughts are completely unrelated.

What do you think one can assume from posters reacting with glee whenever the stock market dips?  You think that's conducive to being a good person?
Anyone who doesn’t worship your con man messiah and is preparing for the inevitable that will happen to this market is a bad person. 

Got it  

Not sure if this was already covered, but what % of the US population has any money in the stock market?  I believe it is about 55%. Is this the barometer of success for our economy?

Not sure if this was already covered, but what % of the US population has any money in the stock market?  I believe it is about 55%. Is this the barometer of success for our economy?
Yes, but:

A whopping 84 percent of all stocks owned by Americans belong to the wealthiest 10 percent of households. And that includes everyone’s stakes in pension plans, 401(k)’s and individual retirement accounts, as well as trust funds, mutual funds and college savings programs like 529 plans.
&

Most households had less than $5,000 in total holdings in 2016, the most recent year analyzed by Mr. Wolff. Despite the slow recovery in housing prices, the wealth of middle-class Americans is still concentrated in their homes, which remain their single most valuable asset.
link

So 55% isn't exactly representative of the US as a whole.  Kind of like, oh I don't know, the tax cuts.  84% of it went the the wealthiest Americans but that doesn't keep some from claiming that "everyone is benefiting".   Technically it's correct just like technically if I give you a pepperoni off a pizza and I eat the rest we "shared" the pizza.

ANY?  You're probably right.  Enough to make a difference in their lives one way or the other it's well less than 30%.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Parts of Italy going on lockdown due to corona virus. 

Not good. 
Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

China

Hong Kong

Macau

Taiwan

Australia

Belgium

Cambodia

Canada

Egypt

Finland