What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (2 Viewers)

Man Tesla stock shot through the roof too. I do not own any outright (that's not in a ETF or mutual fund).  You know what would be a swing for the fence stock? Any of the lithium mining or manufacturing companies.  Theyve been way down since 2018, I'm guessing because of battery fire concerns?  But one of two things is going to happen, they find a replacement material or they figure out how to make it safer.  I'd bet on the latter because the reason lithium is so good is the same reason it can catch fire - it's highly reactive.  Maybe SQM out of Chile. Chile has the largest lithium reserve on the planet and you would need every bit of it for electric vehicles to even put a dent in gasoline.  

:lmao:

Why would the stock market care about Trump's taxes?  WTF is going on in the world?!  :lol:  
What makes you think that?  Everything I'm reading is it's because of the surge in cases of the virus halting the reopening, which makes sense.  Tech stocks are in the green.  This all has to do with the virus and news out of China.   It has nothing to do with Trump taxes.

What makes you think that?  Everything I'm reading is it's because of the surge in cases of the virus halting the reopening, which makes sense.  Tech stocks are in the green.  This all has to do with the virus and news out of China.   It has nothing to do with Trump taxes.
I don't know....I guess it could be pure coincidence that they dove right when the SC made a ruling on his taxes :shrug:

They seem to be slowly coming back a bit now, but it's comical at how skiddish our "markets" seem to be these days.  And FWIW, I am fully in the camp that we are in the "confidence" portion of the market rebound.  It's only going to come "back" as we are gain confidence.  I don't think balance sheets and income statements are all that important at the moment.  So I agree with you on the primary issues being cases and impacts to reopening.  I was speaking of the abrupt dip that came right as the SC made it's ruling.

I don't know....I guess it could be pure coincidence that they dove right when the SC made a ruling on his taxes :shrug:

They seem to be slowly coming back a bit now, but it's comical at how skiddish our "markets" seem to be these days.  And FWIW, I am fully in the camp that we are in the "confidence" portion of the market rebound.  It's only going to come "back" as we are gain confidence.  I don't think balance sheets and income statements are all that important at the moment.  So I agree with you on the primary issues being cases and impacts to reopening.  I was speaking of the abrupt dip that came right as the SC made it's ruling.
Coincidences happen all the time.   :lol:   But Trump!

Coincidences happen all the time.   :lol:   But Trump!
For anyone interested in actually reading the words, I can't really see how they'd get to the bold.  Should be rather obvious by now, my views on the markets and all the various factors that go into their ups/downs to know that's not where I was going...you do you though :thumbup:   Have you seen all the nonsense out there about how the markets are tanking because of the SC ruling?  That's what I'm laughing at.  Thought that was clear.  Guess not...apologies.

But since you've apparently dug in on that, can you shed the light on what it was that made the market dip like it did?  I have some theories, but I'd like to hear yours since you're all in on the "but Trump" shtick.  ETA:  And I DO think the announcement is a minor part, but not what's being portrayed by all the financial :hophead:  

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested in actually reading the words, I can't really see how they'd get to the bold.  Should be rather obvious by now, my views on the markets and all the various factors that go into their ups/downs to know that's not where I was going...you do you though :thumbup:   Have you seen all the nonsense out there about how the markets are tanking because of the SC ruling?  That's what I'm laughing at.  Thought that was clear.  Guess not...apologies.

But since you've apparently dug in on that, can you shed the light on what it was that made the market dip like it did?  I have some theories, but I'd like to hear yours since you're all in on the "but Trump" shtick.
No, not one, even googling trying to find something.  Just you.

Makes sense to me

Your google must be broken...let me know when it's out of the shop and we can talk about the absurdity that prompted me to come in this thread and laugh at it.
Or you could just link/post whatever it is when I asked "what makes you think that".  Instead you went on about coincidences.  

Or you could just link/post whatever it is when I asked "what makes you think that".  Instead you went on about coincidences.  
I don't know how to replay things like CNBC broadcasts or the discussions going on XM radio financial channels :shrug:  Some pretty impressive "hot takes" going on in the innerwebs today.  You should check them out...good comic levity IMO

:lmao:

Why would the stock market care about Trump's taxes?  WTF is going on in the world?!  :lol:  
My only guess is there will be a bunch of loopholes exposed that will be closed because of his taxes.

ETA

OR the documents will be so egregious that it will heavily favor a Biden win and big business won't be ( :rolleyes: ) allowed to do whatever they want anymore.

I'd expect the stock market to do well for a while.  The pandemic is being used as an excuse to permanently dump employees just like Wall Street likes.  And I don't mean jobs lost because small businesses or restaurants didn't survive the shut downs (forced and effectively).

Bottomfeeder Sports said:
I'd expect the stock market to do well for a while.  The pandemic is being used as an excuse to permanently dump employees just like Wall Street likes.  And I don't mean jobs lost because small businesses or restaurants didn't survive the shut downs (forced and effectively).
I agree.  I think COVID is a big business dream come true.  They are letting go 1000s of workers that would usually get scrutinized and nobody is really noticing.  Prepare for the top to get fatter

I agree.  I think COVID is a big business dream come true.  They are letting go 1000s of workers that would usually get scrutinized and nobody is really noticing.  Prepare for the top to get fatter
Apparently WF is set to let go 20-30K employees....I don't know the details as I've moved on, but that's the rumor from my old colleagues.  I had sensed some changes were coming as I was considering leaving, but I didn't think that sort of thing would happen.  It appears that I got out just in time.

Apparently WF is set to let go 20-30K employees....I don't know the details as I've moved on, but that's the rumor from my old colleagues.  I had sensed some changes were coming as I was considering leaving, but I didn't think that sort of thing would happen.  It appears that I got out just in time.
Not sure  if you saw this last week with good comparisons to peer firms.

Bottomfeeder Sports said:

I'm on the other side of this.  PPP runs out in two weeks and the unemployment rate is already at 11%.   We're also about to see housing crisis part 3.  

I'm on the other side of this.  PPP runs out in two weeks and the unemployment rate is already at 11%.   We're also about to see housing crisis part 3.  
How about this scenario:

1.  PPP runs out, small business gets hurt

2.  Fed sustains Large Cap stocks through stock and bond purchases https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/the-fed-is-buying-some-of-the-biggest-companies-bonds-raising-questions-over-why.html

3.  National debt continues to rise (who cares?) and the government continues to cave to big business lobbyists

4.  The stock market will look like it is doing well because Small Business isn't represented in the DJIA, S&P 500, etc. and Trump can take credit for "a great economy"

5.  Large Caps buy Small caps (industry consolidation) at a discount or simply lose competition as they close

6.  Results in more monopolies (and of course, the rich get richer)

Not sure  if you saw this last week with good comparisons to peer firms.
Wow...hadn't seen that.  It's funny that they mention "inefficiency" as a major factor....it's one of the driving reasons I decided to jump ship (along with the rumblings that they were going to do away with WFH privs).  My time with them was probably the most inefficient way I've ever seen an IT group run....it was unreal.  I'm not joking when I say 90ish % of my job was filling out change controls and documenting the documentation.  Then it would take months to get changes to production.  It was a sight to behold.

Wow...hadn't seen that.  It's funny that they mention "inefficiency" as a major factor....it's one of the driving reasons I decided to jump ship (along with the rumblings that they were going to do away with WFH privs).  My time with them was probably the most inefficient way I've ever seen an IT group run....it was unreal.  I'm not joking when I say 90ish % of my job was filling out change controls and documenting the documentation.  Then it would take months to get changes to production.  It was a sight to behold.
Yeah, its pretty clear if you have worked literally anywhere else.

Yeah, its pretty clear if you have worked literally anywhere else.
Well, I was like a frog in water slowly being brought up to a boil to an extent.  This switch was the first for me in my entire career that wasn't some sort of merger, but I agree 100%.  It's been quite liberating :lol:  

[GOP]

S&P 500 has erased all the losses since the pandemic began!!!!  Can't be a coincidence that this happened once the Democratic Convention started....wait, what?

[/GOP]

Do you NOW see how odd this line of thinking is?

Yes, still heavily cash.   Waiting for a correction and/or more economic certainty. 
Good luck.  I'm guessing you will get your chance to get back in, but you are fighting the Fed among other factors.  You might have to be patient.  But you are only 10% down so far.  Nothing major lost yet.

If biden wins, overall, taxes will go up, and there will be a "paying the piper" from the covid financial fall out no matter who wins......I'm thinking renewable energy and pot will good to invest in....... obviously, who controls congress means a lot too.

The Commish said:
Clearly that isn't true...all polls are pointing to Biden winning and the markets are responding.  At least that's how I am told these things work.  :hophead:  
I guess it depends on what you are reading.  What I'm seeing is as he inevitably raises taxes, and puts more regulation on business, it will not affect investors positively

I guess it depends on what you are reading.  What I'm seeing is as he inevitably raises taxes, and puts more regulation on business, it will not affect investors positively
Not sure....going by the measuring sticks in this very thread, the policies/procedures set forth by the Obama/Biden administration saw an increase in the stock market of approximately 250% during their tenure.  The only "tax increases" I've seen mentioned thus far is a rolling back of the Trump cuts to the way they were when that increase was seen and businesses were definitely thriving under those circumstances.  Are their new taxes that have been introduced that are on top of rolling back the Trump cuts?  

I should clearly note here, I don't approve of the measuring sticks brought to our attention in this thread.  I'm just attempting to keep apples/apples comparison by using the same measurements deemed suitable for Trump.  I think it's significantly more complicated than "President X was in office so he made it all happen", but that's the bar of this thread.  I'm just following along.

Not sure....going by the measuring sticks in this very thread, the policies/procedures set forth by the Obama/Biden administration saw an increase in the stock market of approximately 250% during their tenure.  The only "tax increases" I've seen mentioned thus far is a rolling back of the Trump cuts to the way they were when that increase was seen and businesses were definitely thriving under those circumstances.  Are their new taxes that have been introduced that are on top of rolling back the Trump cuts?  

I should clearly note here, I don't approve of the measuring sticks brought to our attention in this thread.  I'm just attempting to keep apples/apples comparison by using the same measurements deemed suitable for Trump.  I think it's significantly more complicated than "President X was in office so he made it all happen", but that's the bar of this thread.  I'm just following along.
I just think the potential overall approach of sleepy joe, coupled with a lot of defaulted loans, economic fallout from covid spells bear market

I just think the potential overall approach of sleepy joe, coupled with a lot of defaulted loans, economic fallout from covid spells bear market
Oh, he'd definitely have large issues to overcome created by this admin so the circumstances wouldn't be apples/apples by any stretch, but are we supposed to believe that this administration is going to do an about face and "fix" all the conditions that allowed for the current and future issues?  I'm not holding my breath.  I notice you used "overall approach" here.  That's pretty vague.  Are there specific things you could point to that are cause for concern?  The one thing this administration did via legislation was the tax cuts and as I mentioned before I am unaware of any additional work Biden has promised to do other than roll back those cuts.  If we pause to remember, businesses were doing so well at that point, they basically took the revenue and bought back their stock.  Their positive positions in the markets gave them no reason to do anything else.  What else is a concern to you?

Oh, he'd definitely have large issues to overcome created by this admin so the circumstances wouldn't be apples/apples by any stretch, but are we supposed to believe that this administration is going to do an about face and "fix" all the conditions that allowed for the current conditions and future issues?  I'm not holding my breath.  I notice you used "overall approach" here.  That's pretty vague.  Are there specific things you could point to that are cause for concern?  The one thing this administration did via legislation was the tax cuts and as I mentioned before I am unaware of any additional work Biden has promised to do other than roll back those cuts.  If we pause to remember, businesses were doing so well at that point, they basically took the revenue and bought back their stock.  Their positive positions in the markets gave them no reason to do anything else.  What else is a concern to you?
Well for starters, the green new deal......at least he's not Bernie, but that's what I mean about overall approach.  I believe we need cheap energy to be competitive......the democratic party is likely to be completely consumed with climate change......this does not give me confidence in our economic future......like I said, invest in the big green energy companies and pot.

Well for starters, the green new deal......at least he's not Bernie, but that's what I mean about overall approach.  I believe we need cheap energy to be competitive......the democratic party is likely to be completely consumed with climate change......this does not give me confidence in our economic future......like I said, invest in the big green energy companies and pot.
If it makes you feel any better, my guess is, he'll spend his time putting back what Obama had achieved that Trump has taken away.  That will likely take the entirety of his term.  Again, a reminder that under those circumstances, we were doing really well, green energy included.  There's a significant opportunity for this country to become the leader in green energy in the world.  I'm not sure why trying to achieve that is a bad thing though.  His largest ambition (if I'm reading his position correctly) is 100% carbon neutral by 2050.  In order for that to happen there will have to be a HUGE investment in this country's infrastructure, which means a huge investment in jobs and technology to accomplish it.  In a day and age where we are primarily consumers of goods, I think it would be a good thing to become more present in the production side, no?  Guess I need more help connecting the dots of your concern here....if you're interested of course.  If not, tell me to pound sand.  No worries here.

If it makes you feel any better, my guess is, he'll spend his time putting back what Obama had achieved that Trump has taken away.  That will likely take the entirety of his term.  Again, a reminder that under those circumstances, we were doing really well, green energy included.  There's a significant opportunity for this country to become the leader in green energy in the world.  I'm not sure why trying to achieve that is a bad thing though.  His largest ambition (if I'm reading his position correctly) is 100% carbon neutral by 2050.  In order for that to happen there will have to be a HUGE investment in this country's infrastructure, which means a huge investment in jobs and technology to accomplish it.  In a day and age where we are primarily consumers of goods, I think it would be a good thing to become more present in the production side, no?  Guess I need more help connecting the dots of your concern here....if you're interested of course.  If not, tell me to pound sand.  No worries here.
If green energy makes sense, and can make the energy we need at an affordable cost to the consumer, I'm all for it.  I'm skeptical, and I'm not on board with the sky is falling climate change narrative.  But, if we can prosper as a country with new green energy, and pay off our debt, great......I'm not going to hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread