What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida passes law banning sanctuary cities. (1 Viewer)

I suspect it will be challenged by the courts. If it’s upheld it’s terrible. It will be a disaster for Florida and significantly increase crime. 

Could I ask why that would be the case?  
Sure. One of the reasons most law enforcement is in favor of sanctuary cities is because it allows them to cooperate with undocumented immigrants in order to fight crime. If police are forced to perform the job of ICE it will lead to a situation where these people will not be willing to deal with police at all because of the fear of deportation. In addition these additional burdens on city police forces will severely strain their resources. 

I am in favor of the law myself thought there really has been no sanctuary cities in Florida.  I guess Miami would have been the closest to fit that description.  I do not think law enforcement would be doing the job of ICE.  I could be wrong but I believe most law enforcement would probably use the same policies as they use in Lake county.  If someone is apprehended for a crime and it was determined that they were illegal then they would be detained for ICE.  I think it would definitely not increase crime.

Thanks for that Tim it was interesting.  I googled to try and find what Florida county sheriffs thought of the law and did not find any results other than in some of the major counties the sheriffs have stated that they have always cooperated with ICE.  I kind of figured what you would think about it being that you lean to an open borders guy.  I appreciate the response because I like to hear all sides of an issue so I can make sure I am not being close minded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Tim it was interesting.  I googled to try and find what Florida county sheriffs thought of the law and did not find any results other than in some of the major counties the sheriffs have stated that they have always cooperated with ICE.  I kind of figured what you would think about it being that you lean to an open borders guy.  I appreciate the response because I like to hear all sides of an issue so I can make sure I am not being close minded.
Do your wallet routinely take advantage of cheap labor provided by illegal immigrants?  Do you support mandatory prison sentences for people who repeatedly hire illegal immigrants?

I'm trying to figure out if you're an open borders kind of guy.

Do your wallet routinely take advantage of cheap labor provided by illegal immigrants?  Do you support mandatory prison sentences for people who repeatedly hire illegal immigrants?

I'm trying to figure out if you're an open borders kind of guy.
No I am a legal immigration guy.  I do however think our do nothing leaders should have immigration reform as one of the things at the top of their list.  I guess your referring to Tim about the wallet thing.  I do think there should be repercussions for those that continually break the law.  I think fines would be sufficient.

No I am a legal immigration guy.  I do however think our do nothing leaders should have immigration reform as one of the things at the top of their list.  I guess your referring to Tim about the wallet thing.  I do think there should be repercussions for those that continually break the law.  I think fines would be sufficient.
"Fines would be sufficient" is insufficient if the fines are rolled up into the cost of doing business, as if it's a tax.  If you repeatedly break the law despite fines, prison is the only just solution.  But I get it, you're an open borders kind of guy.

"Fines would be sufficient" is insufficient if the fines are rolled up into the cost of doing business, as if it's a tax.  If you repeatedly break the law despite fines, prison is the only just solution.  But I get it, you're an open borders kind of guy.
Wow I have to say I have been called a lot of things but never that lol.  Thats ok just don't call me late for supper.

Sure. One of the reasons most law enforcement is in favor of sanctuary cities is because it allows them to cooperate with undocumented immigrants in order to fight crime. If police are forced to perform the job of ICE it will lead to a situation where these people will not be willing to deal with police at all because of the fear of deportation. In addition these additional burdens on city police forces will severely strain their resources. 
Probably good to try and keep the illegals contained in the same area. 

Don't mean to be mean, but you're wallowing in wishy-washy words.   
Oh I don't think your being mean.  I am against sanctuary cities always have been.  If someone is apprehended for a crime and they are illegal then they should be turned over to ICE.  I think we are long over due for immigration reform that would help the problems at the border.  I think fines can be enough if they are strict enough including shutting the business down.  I don't think that is wishy washy.  I just like to hear others opinions.

Oh I don't think your being mean.  I am against sanctuary cities always have been.  If someone is apprehended for a crime and they are illegal then they should be turned over to ICE.  I think we are long over due for immigration reform that would help the problems at the border.  I think fines can be enough if they are strict enough including shutting the business down.  I don't think that is wishy washy.
Referring only to repeat violators, why not prison time?  If your government is willing to separate infants and toddlers from mothers and fathers, thus scarring them indelibly, then clearly we need to get serious about the business end of this business. 

Don't be this guy.

Referring only to repeat violators, why not prison time?  If your government is willing to separate infants and toddlers from mothers and fathers, thus scarring them indelibly, then clearly we need to get serious about the business end of this business. 

Don't be this guy.
OK gottcha there should absolutely be serious repercussions for repeated violations.  When companies bottom line is effected they tend to react.  Not sure I would send guys like @timschochet to prison though I still think fines would work fine for small business owners.

OK gottcha there should absolutely be serious repercussions for repeated violations.  When companies bottom line is effected they tend to react.  Not sure I would send guys like @timschochet to prison though I still think fines would work fine for small business owners.
There we go!  If @timschochet has been on the receiving end of three escalating fines for employing illegal immigrants, let's send him to San Quentin after the fourth violation.   Pretty sure we could GoFundMe him an account for tattoo work. 

ETA: Maybe a weekend pass to San Quentin for the 3rd violation would provide the greatest benefit to society.

There we go!  If @timschochet has been on the receiving end of three escalating fines for employing illegal immigrants, let's send him to San Quentin after the fourth violation.   Pretty sure we could GoFundMe him an account for tattoo work. 
Don't know how to do the laughing smiley thing but that made me COL chuckle out loud.

Oh I don't think your being mean.  I am against sanctuary cities always have been.  If someone is apprehended for a crime and they are illegal then they should be turned over to ICE.  I think we are long over due for immigration reform that would help the problems at the border.  I think fines can be enough if they are strict enough including shutting the business down.  I don't think that is wishy washy.  I just like to hear others opinions.
I overlooked the bolded earlier:  What if a conviction relies on the testimony another illegal immigrant?  Should ICE be given an assist that allows them to deport the person who testifies against a criminal? 

I overlooked the bolded earlier:  What if a conviction relies on the testimony another illegal immigrant?  Should ICE be given an assist that allows them to deport the person who testifies against a criminal? 
Tough question but I would lean towards yes.  I know that this of course would lead to no illegals coming forward to help in a conviction,but I think in the majority of cases they probably would not need an illegal for a conviction.  Just a guess though.

Tough question but I would lean towards yes.  I know that this of course would lead to no illegals coming forward to help in a conviction,but I think in the majority of cases they probably would not need an illegal for a conviction.  Just a guess though.
Different strokes and all that. I'm for stacking the deck against criminals, especially violent criminals.

ETA: Maybe a weekend pass to San Quentin for the 3rd violation would provide the greatest benefit to society.
Hey man I have never broken the law with regard to undocumented immigrants. Not once, not ever. 

I just don’t have the paranoid fear of them that some of you do. Get rid of sanctuary cities? Oh hell no. Anyhow you try and enforce that in the big cities, see where that gets you. 

There are 11 million or more undocumented people in this country. They’re not going anywhere and more are coming. You guys need to get used to it. The only solution is to welcome them, give most of them (the nonviolent ones) amnesty and a path to citizenship. And then welcome more in. You can try and fight that all you want but in the end it’s inevitable. I’m happy about it. 

Hey man I have never broken the law with regard to undocumented immigrants. Not once, not ever. 

I just don’t have the paranoid fear of them that some of you do. Get rid of sanctuary cities? Oh hell no. Anyhow you try and enforce that in the big cities, see where that gets you. 

There are 11 million or more undocumented people in this country. They’re not going anywhere and more are coming. You guys need to get used to it. The only solution is to welcome them, give most of them (the nonviolent ones) amnesty and a path to citizenship. And then welcome more in. You can try and fight that all you want but in the end it’s inevitable. I’m happy about it. 
Dude, I was joking.  I retract any implication that you broke the law.  Just riffin.

Sincere apology.

Sorry Tim I thought I remembered you saying that you had hired guys out of the home depot lot that were probably illegal to help you with one of the centers you manage.  Could have sworn that was you I'm old an easily confused so I may have read it somewhere else. 

As far as getting use to it I don't have to.  I probably only have 20 years left if that.  I just worry what life is going to be like for my children and Grandchildren after I am gone.  Things are changing and I don't think it is going to be for the good

Sorry Tim I thought I remembered you saying that you had hired guys out of the home depot lot that were probably illegal to help you with one of the centers you manage.  Could have sworn that was you I'm old an easily confused so I may have read it somewhere else. 

As far as getting use to it I don't have to.  I probably only have 20 years left if that.  I just worry what life is going to be like for my children and Grandchildren after I am gone.  Things are changing and I don't think it is going to be for the good
First off your memory is correct. But I don’t know if they were legal or not; I suspect they weren’t. However the law in California states that so long as I don’t pay them more than $600 I don’t have to keep 1099s or any records. So what I did was perfectly legal. 

Second, you may live longer than 20 years. Let’s hope so. I can’t say whether things will be good or bad in the future but these people won’t be the reason why. Most of them, the vast majority, are incredibly hard working and they came here for the same reason my ancestors did, and probably yours as well: so that their children and grandchildren could live a better life in this greatest of all countries. If anything the fact that people still want to come here, despite everything, over all other nations on Earth, is a sign that things should still be good for us long into the future. Be of good cheer. 

Totally legal. I don’t think it is for the Feds to do this but states can.

New Orleans has a home rule charter so that would be an exception if Louisiana tried this, but I’m not sure if Fla has any cities like that.
I don't think Florida does.  New Orleans kind of it's own thing.  I mean it's been around forever.  We have St. Augustine but its no Nawlins

Get rid of sanctuary cities? Oh hell no. Anyhow you try and enforce that in the big cities, see where that gets you. 
I disagree and I agree.

Cities have to follow state law.

But I can tell you here in NO it is a sanctuary city and I’m not really sure what it means. I say that because the Parish next door is standard, suburban, conservative, Republican... and presumably you’d think oh hey they must ask for papers, pick up illegal aliens, etc, right? No. The Parish profits handsomely from important people who have low cost rental blocks, from construction and service industry, and sure enough obviously immigrant looking Hispanics (sorry) wait outside the Home Depot & Lowe’s with no harassment, no problem. NO has the problem of overcrowded jails so even if we weren’t sanctuary the cops wouldn’t be any more inclined to hold them. And the Parish isn’t inclined either even though it’s very conservative and technically not sanctuary. It appears to be a distinction without a difference.

I am in favor of the law myself thought there really has been no sanctuary cities in Florida.  I guess Miami would have been the closest to fit that description.  I do not think law enforcement would be doing the job of ICE.  I could be wrong but I believe most law enforcement would probably use the same policies as they use in Lake county.  If someone is apprehended for a crime and it was determined that they were illegal then they would be detained for ICE.  I think it would definitely not increase crime.
Was going to post about this myself.  When ICE demands a detention or a municipality holds a person for ICE, the time that person is in custody is paid for by our tax dollars.  There is nothing in the law requiring reclamation of resources for doing what ICE was supposed to be doing, so our local governments are not only spending our tax dollars to pay for federal programs, but we aren't being refunded the costs for doing so.  That's :bs:  IMO.  I pay federal taxes already that are supposed to go to these sorts of things.  I don't want my local tax dollars going to pay for those same activities.

Never understood this at all.  Why is it criminal to hire illegals?  It makes zero sense from a government which doesn't deport them, provides the ID's, allows them in public schools, requires hospitals to treat them and gives them financial aid.  We have local government which provides sanctuaries for them.   We call their children 'dreamers' and want to give them citizens.  But those damn companies who want to hire them and have them be contributing members of society, we want to fine those SOBs out of existence.   Wtf. 

Nothing coming out of the Deep South surprises me these days.
Rick Scott wants only the citizen count, which could be part of the 2020 US Census, to be used for determining representation and federal funds to Florida. His line of thinking would cost Florida about 2 seats in Congress and untold millions in Medicaid, SNAP,  Medicare Part B, Highways, etc.

Never understood this at all.  Why is it criminal to hire illegals?  It makes zero sense from a government which doesn't deport them, provides the ID's, allows them in public schools, requires hospitals to treat them and gives them financial aid.  We have local government which provides sanctuaries for them.   We call their children 'dreamers' and want to give them citizens.  But those damn companies who want to hire them and have them be contributing members of society, we want to fine those SOBs out of existence.   Wtf. 
Haha. Corporations are the bad guys remember? And small businesses. And farms. 

Rick Scott wants only the citizen count, which could be part of the 2020 US Census, to be used for determining representation and federal funds to Florida. His line of thinking would cost Florida about 2 seats in Congress and untold millions in Medicaid, SNAP,  Medicare Part B, Highways, etc.
And 2 electoral votes.

Users who are viewing this thread