What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proper etiquette while being a customer in Retail (1 Viewer)

No you're not.  Or at least i don't.  I shop at a variety of stores, but one of the reasons Aldi has become #2 on my list (behind a local market) is the cost.  Why is the cost so low?  They don't have baggers and it's on the customer to take care of the carts, among other things in their business model.  Like any sane person I'm selective about what I actually buy there, but that's where we get many of our staples.  $0.59 for a bag of pretzels, $0.49 for a dozen eggs, $1.49 for cottage cheese, $1.79 for a pack of ice cream sandwiches, etc.  Sign me up.
Interesting article why Walmart is concerned about Aldi more than other stores.  They aren't for everyone but I embrace their cheapness in operations. 

I also think I'm the most efficient Aldi customer ever.  I line everything up on the belt in the order I want to pack it (for example, cans first, bread last) and am as fast packing as the cashier is scanning.  

... one of the reasons Aldi has become #2 on my list (behind a local market) is the cost.  Why is the cost so low?  They don't have baggers and it's on the customer to take care of the carts, among other things in their business model.  Like any sane person I'm selective about what I actually buy there, but that's where we get many of our staples.  $0.59 for a bag of pretzels, $0.49 for a dozen eggs, $1.49 for cottage cheese, $1.79 for a pack of ice cream sandwiches, etc.  Sign me up.
We're getting our first local Aldi's in a few months. Looking forward to trying it out.

It's all good when bagging, cart retrieval, etc. is an honest, upfront expectation of a business in exchange for lower prices.

I like Aldi because I can get an 8oz bag of cheese for $2.25 and a mini trampoline for $17.

Last edited by a moderator:
I manage a small but successful retail business. While I think that the majority of our customers are amazing--I will say that many modern day consumers can absolutey be dooshy.   In the past I have  actually contemplated starting my own thread where I post some of the interesting things that occur in my life and workplace--including some stories about interesting consumer interactions.  Full disclosure--I'm not saying that I fully agree or disagree with the OP as I honestly did not read his entire post.   
:popcorn:

Not sure why I started doing it but whenever I go grocery shopping, I grab a cart from the parking lot and bring it in to use. I never take a cart back outside because I grab $20-$50 each time I go and that is 3-4 reusable bags of stuff only.

If everyone grabbed a cart when they went into the store, it'd help out each shopper.
Also, you get a test drive of the cart to see if it has that bad wheel or is really noisy.  Can always swap for a new ride at the door.

When you say retail, you really just mean grocery stores, right? When I think "retail", I think Target, Victoria's Secret, Best Buy... in that order.

I actually prefer to bag my own stuff. 

I am faster and i dont need an extra set of hands on my food. 
The way check out areas are arranged around here, customers have to walk around a large square block to get to the bagging area so that you can even reach the bags without reaching into the cashier's space. Then you'd have to walk back around to where the customer normally stands to execute the payment. And you'd (likely) be prompted to pay in the middle of bagging so you'd have to make trip back and forth twice.

99 times out of 100, it ain't faster -- locally -- to bag your own groceries. There are exceptions (green, overwhelmed, or lackadaisical cashier) ... but we certainly can't count on the eager-beaver bagging customer ahead of us to get out of checkout faster.

Now, if it's a couple shopping, and one bags while one pays? That can be (but is not always) a mild time savings.

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone know why Wholefoods has security like it's protecting diamonds and jewelry?

Our WF has like 3 off-duty cops at all times and they're fully locked and loaded. Guns, tasers, bullet proof vests, tactical gear. :lol:  
It's really difficult and expensive to make things like asparagus water.  They have to protect their inventory.
Asparagus doesn't just grow on trees, you know.

We're getting our first local Aldi's in a few months. Looking forward to trying it out.

It's all good when bagging, cart retrieval, etc. is an honest, upfront expectation of a business in exchange for lower prices.

My problem with Aldi is that whenever I walk in, there are three basically empty open register lines.  Then I shop for 10 minutes, get to the front only to find one open register with five people waiting in line with full carts.

Happens every single time, like magic or something.

jhib said:
My problem with Aldi is that whenever I walk in, there are three basically empty open register lines.  Then I shop for 10 minutes, get to the front only to find one open register with five people waiting in line with full carts.

Happens every single time, like magic or something.
I swear this same thing used to happen to me. Then one time I debated going into the frozen food aisle and instead went to the checkout. No line. I have never gone into the frozen food line again and have not been stuck in a line. Probably 8 trips now. Dead serious. Obviously completely anecdotal and superstitious, but hey why risk it? Nobody really needs anything from the frozen food section anyway. 

I have actually wondered if it has something to do with the fact that they always have rolling carts of crap in that aisle so carts can really only fit one wide on either side of them. Seems when I go to leave that aisle I get funneled to the front as does everybody else. And I wonder when I start yelling at people to move along and they dont need the pancake covered sausage on a stick if I have literally herded everybody right down the aisle to the registers causing my own logjam. :unsure:

Mario Kart said:
Not sure why I started doing it but whenever I go grocery shopping, I grab a cart from the parking lot and bring it in to use. I never take a cart back outside because I grab $20-$50 each time I go and that is 3-4 reusable bags of stuff only.

If everyone grabbed a cart when they went into the store, it'd help out each shopper.
I almost always grab a cart from the lot and bring it in... preferably one that’s not even in a corral If I can help it.

This accomplished two things... 

1) helps ensure someone’s doors don’t get dinged. 

2) helps ensure the damn baggers are inside to bag my groceries 

My wife is a supervisor in a retail chain and always has some great stories of d-bag customers. Last week, a lady brings in the top half of a rod and reel and wants them to replace the bottom the rod and reel. Of course, she also has no receipt and starts getting very loud when they can't help her because she was supposed to have a 1 yr warranty. After calling the manager, she still is loud and eventually spills the beans that her husband got mad and broke the rod and threw the bottom half in the ocean. She finally asked for the corporate number and left telling them she would never shop there again. This is why I couldn't work retail as I would have been just as rude in return.

EYLive said:
When you say retail, you really just mean grocery stores, right? When I think "retail", I think Target, Victoria's Secret, Best Buy... in that order.

re·tail

/ˈrēˌtāl/

noun

the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.

"the product's retail price"

Are you aware that there are different types of retail? I didn't think so, since you needed to copy and paste a definition, dummy. Go back to shooting your guns or whatever it is you do these days.
I've worked in a lot of different retail settings my entire life. 

Odd how you get so angry from someone posting a definition. 

We passed a plastic bag law about a year ago and basically outlawed bags (they charge you $0.05 if you want one), and made a big push for bring your own reusable bag. Along with that, my local super market has hand held scanners that you get at the entrance and basically scan each item as you take it and put it in your bag. Once you are done, got to self check out and scan a barcode generated by the handheld and it transfers al your purchases to the check out machine, pay and go. No unloading your cart, scanning it all individually and re-bagging it all. So easy and I don't have to deal with a single employee if I don't want to. 

parasaurolophus said:
I actually prefer to bag my own stuff. 

I am faster and i dont need an extra set of hands on my food. 
Seriously, what is the big deal with all these ivory tower snobs in here?  Whatever gets me out faster is what I want.  If there’s a separate bagger, great.  If not, I ain’t too proud to bag.

I almost always grab a cart from the lot and bring it in... preferably one that’s not even in a corral If I can help it.

This accomplished two things... 

1) helps ensure someone’s doors don’t get dinged. 

2) helps ensure the damn baggers are inside to bag my groceries
Just did this tonight. I pull into the parking lot and see two carts nowhere near the cart corral. I grabbed them and wheeled them in. Just so happens an employee was outside retrieving those kid wagons (animal, minivan almost carts), said thanks to me, and went back out. I didn't even realize it was an employee because I realized later on. The only question I have is, "Who thinks its a good idea to leave two carts, on a hill, away from the corrals, and be okay with it?" People are rude.

My carefully collated personal research has proven Sunday mornings before 11AM to be the prime grocery shopping time.  So no need to get up super early. Just gotta get in and out before 11 when churches start letting out. :bowtie:  
This is true. I hate working Sundays unless I get a morning shift out by 12 or 1. Working after 11AM absolutely sucks. I do a 1-7 shift this Sunday so I'm ####ed 

do you work for a state liquor store and are an employee of the state?  
No the only one who is would be my full time manager. I'm trained by the state with legal liquor people who work for my company to answer any questions or solve issues that may arise. We also do not sell Hard Liquor at the store YET. 

I understand what you are saying about demanding customers. But, as you mentioned there are those that are not so demanding. It all evens out. You give a little extra, you take a little extra. 

The question I would have, if you showed your list to your manager, his/her manager, and the owner/CEO of the company, would they agree with you or ask you to turn in your shirt? 
I'd obviously revise the wording of some of this if I were present it in a professional manner. Most of the higher ups started at the bottom so they do understand their employees frustrations. My Current President started out at the company 35 yrs ago as a bagger when he was 15. First time he came in was personable, asked lots of questions and even asked if there was anything he could do for the store to make it better. He saw me help a customer out big time. He gave me $100 as a reward plus his business card. Said you ever need me feel free to email or call. Every time he comes in he says hi to me still.

Going back to the list Yes most would agree. Especially manger to employee protection and if you act like a clown the Manager will most likely side with the employee. 

bagger said:
You listed a lot of rules but there is only one rule in retail.

the customer is always right.

:ptts:
Actually this is wrong. I've had hire ups and even friends parents who worked in retail or know people in retail who work for hire ups and said thats mostly a BS term Employers give to their employees to make sure the employees treat the customers well. It's a psychological tactic to get the employee not to argue with the customer nor try and show the customer is wrong and you are right and embarrass them. 

No the only one who is would be my full time manager. I'm trained by the state with legal liquor people who work for my company to answer any questions or solve issues that may arise. We also do not sell Hard Liquor at the store YET. 
So are you a state employee - or some kind of a unionized offshoot of that?  

jhib said:
I find a few of your points confusing, but especially this one.

a) You want the person with 20 items to go to the express line?

b) There are places where you can only purchase a lemon at one of the available registers?
A) no My expresses are 15 or 10 or less. If you have 20 items you get in a regular line. In fact my ASD went over this today with a co worker of mine and myself I'll explain in part b

B) PA do to Liquor laws has separate registers where only Beer/Wine can be purchased. Some of this is do to having to be 21 age wise to ring and stock. We have minors who work the grocery stores not R.A.M.P Certified. Its not fair for our Beer/Wine customers to have some customer neither item and has 20 items or 10 things get in our line during a rush hour. This person can go to any other register but our but our Beer/Wine people maybe buying a thing of Corona and Limes can't go to the regular express. I had gone on break came back saw a line at my section took the NEXT AVAILABLE CUSTOMER. One Customer was complaining about people coming into our lines with more items then it says it allotted on the signage. My ASD had a chat with the guy and we've had other complaints. So She told us we are going to get more strict on the 10 or 15 Items rule if you have beer and Wine. One register is for people with 10 items the other 15 and that includes the Beer/Wine. Also with our regulations you can only buy and "X" amount of beer or wine. So we may have to do more then one transaction. It gets a little confusing but we've had people complain about people coming in with too many items. I've been told by customers though they like coming to my line do to how strict I am about # of Items, if the customer has beer and wine etc. I literally if I'm busy especially a holiday season kicking anyone out of line who doesn't have beer and wine. Yes I'd take that customer if we were dead or on a slow day but not during a holiday or busy rush hour. For some its more convienent then the state store as they always have issues of not enough registers opened, EFT machine not working, power outages etc etc. 

Starting now if you have more then 15 or 10 items with your beer/wine depending on what register is open you can only purchase Beer/wine there and move to another regular lane for the food. I always tell customers or suggest helpfully its easier to come in and get your beer and wine first then continue your regular shopping or just do your regular shopping pay and then come over. I even say its more appreciated by us because its easier for us to keep track of who's in the store who has paid for their adult beverages or not. We've been open for 2 yrs and have had at least 5 incidents of a customer with beer/wine accidentally rung up at a regular check out or walking out with it from the Self check out as it doesn't ask for an ID there or anything. I'm shocked it doesn't happen more often but our none beer/wine employees are now getting extra and better training on this as well. 

[icon] said:
Odds Djackson is a millenial: 100%

What a whiny rant. Agreed with those who say you’re missing the main rule that customers are the reason you even have a job. 

And I’m not bagging your groceries. If you have to ring then bag a $300 order, you don’t get to be mad at the customer, you should be mad at: 

1) Your manager who can’t schedule for #### and has 3 baggers for a Saturday afternoon with 7 lanes open. 

2) Your lazy dip#### baggers who spend more time riding carts in the lot or actively avoiding doing anything but their jobs. 

Those are your problem, not the customer who’s reluctant to do a service they’re paying for. I’m also not volunteering to bus my own table at a restaurant to save the waiter the effort because the busboys are lazy. That’s on the manager and busboys. 

If We are going to have to bag our own groceries, we might as well buy everything online... then entitled retail twits will lose their jobs. 
I really hate people who think it's so easy to hire people. This isn't your mom and pop store days where every lane is open and a bagger. Most kids don't want to work a grocery store. Kids have schedules for school and other things. Yes there are baggers like this but not all of them. This also isn't the days where a bagger just did Carts/Bags. They have to clean the restrooms, do the trash around the store, clean shelves or spills etc. Grocery stores are also a lot more strict on availability. My department will refuse to hire anyone now who can't work Fri/Sat/Sun from Opening shift to closing shift simple because of an issue we started out with of two of our employees no longer with us who didn't want to work those days. The one girl claimed Sundays wouldn't work do to bus schedule which is BS she just wanted to not work Sundays. The other guy wanted Saturdays off as he was incredible lazy. If you play sports in school  you are literaly told to pick the sport or your job. Most will pick the sport then work the seasons theres no sport. Then you have the college kids. Some come back for the summer while others won't and most leave during the school year do to where they go to college. 

I've had other customers give people who haven't bagged dirty looks. It's common courtesy to help out if there's no bagger

No its actually entitled customers who act like douchbags who think most who work a minimum wage job can be treated like dog ####. Sorry if I don't have your 9-5 job where you get 50K-75K a year. Doesn't give you the right to act entitled and treat another person like ####. Without the food industry you'd have to go hunt your own dam meat and pick your own fruits and veggies, prep it and cook it. I highly doubt most of you could do that yourselves. 

Your example is comparing apples to oranges. Most restaurants have a system of how things are done. I dare you to start your own supermarket business and see just how easy you think it is to hire people. It's not. We deal with people who call out just like the 9-5 guy do to a kid sick, them being sick etc. A scheduling issue, emergency, etc etc. The problem between the 9-5 guy and retail is retail suffers more and more noticeable. Joe Schmo can call out of your job for 2 days and maybe 2 people notice. My job someone calls out extra work for everyone else and noticeable to customers. Instead of complaining to the employee just doing the job about no help most customers are too lazy to go to the service desk to get a manager or simple get online and write an email to corporate and file a complaint because that's the only way anything gets done if you are in the right with your complaint. I tell customers all the time. Complain up front to a manager and then file a complaint with corporate let them know the SD of the store knows so if anything isn't done it's documented he/she knew and did nothing. Go back to corporate tell them and they will usually handle it. It might take a few weeks For an investigation and final decision but will be taken care of. Usually an apology to the customer and the customer usually gets a gift card or coupons for their inconvenience to help please them more. 

belljr said:
Who talks to employees at a super market, outside the deli people

The deli and seafood counters are the only ones I choose to communicate with. They earned it
You'd be surprised of the customers who talk to the people at the register. Especially if it's a regular customer who comes in their line often. I know almost all my regulars first or last name and greet them as such. They know me. We have mini convos on weather, how's the families, sports, etc. Found out one of my regs helps put on big gigs for bands. He's basically is paid money by bands and sponsors for the event and then plans and hosts it kind of like an event coordinator. He's hosted KISS, Skynard, President Obama, Modanna, Little Big Town, Montgomery Gentry, Def Leppard to name a few. I've also gotten business cards of customers as well. 

pollardsvision said:
Was just discussing this with my dad. I pretty much only use self-checkout, and while I don't really know the impact it has on jobs, my feeling is that self-checkout, done right, can help stores get people in and out faster, meaning more money and more product moving. So, other jobs and more money to pay people with. I'd suspect self-checkout often leads to cashier jobs being moved to other parts of the store (or warehouses). And a good self-checkout attendant is worth their weight in gold. Just my guess.

One thing I have noticed, just anecdotally....the stores with the most self-checkout lanes seem to just have more people working there (often, including human cashiers). One store chain known for not doing self-checkout around here (Food Lion) just doesn't seem to employ very many people at all. Often they only have 2-3 cash registers going. Go down the street to Kroger during the same time of day, and they'll have 6 self-checkouts going along with 8-10 human cashiers. I go to Kroger because I'm going the GTH in and GTH out, even when the parking lot is full.

My feeling is that if a store can succeed in efficiently getting money out of your pocket, they'll have plenty of jobs. 
ACME got rid of ours when we switched over. We literally had over 100 customers complain about not having it. When we did our first renovations they put them back in. Some people like it for a few small items and don't want to wait in the express lane. they can get in and out. It doesn't impact the human as much like you said if it's done right. 

brun said:
Aside from grocery shopping, I mostly go into stores for something I don't want to wait a couple days to get. I have worked retail as a temporary fill in job and agree there's a lot not to like about it. Thoughts & Prayers

In doing my part to keep the checkout process moving along. When there's a line behind me at checkout and I want to challenge a price. I just complete the transaction and go to the service desk to get it fixed. Am I alone in this?
You are in a select group of a few. Many will refuse to pay their bill or refuse to get any of the items and walk out. Then the cashier needs an override and the line is held up more. I've had customers try and complain prices after it's rung out and they get mad when I tell them I can't do anything about it that's on the service desk. A once the transaction is complete the price adjustments fall on you going to CS. B most cashiers aren't trained for the service desk to adjust prices after a transaction is complete 

glvsav37 said:
Good news is that amazon will be delivering all of our groceries in a few years so you won't have to worry about anyone coming in and bothering you b/c the store won't be there anymore.

Regardless,  If you are in retail or any other customer facing position, you are there for the customer 100%. Yes some customers are complete #######s and others are nice and respectful. But I got bad news for you, I work in a corporate environment and guess what, I have colleagues who are nice and respectful and others that are complete #######s. Its not just limited to retail (or food service/restaurants which I did when in college). Thats life. 
Funny Amazon won't be doing the business they think they are. Most grocery stories including mine offer home delivery and it's not as popular as one may think 

1 Do you have to go through the customer areas when off the clock? Isn't there a back room and/or exit? Regardless, if you need to clock in and out, that clock would be back there so technically when walking to and from your past station, you are still 'on the clock' and getting paid. So an extra 30 seconds to direct a customer isn't a tough ask. 

Not clocked in or out for 15 only Lunch. Some employees don't bring their break so they get a salad or snack and drink at work. Our time clock is by the offices the Breakroom or to go out to the Outside break area you have to pass through customers

-----

2 This isn't a customers fault 100%. Companies have gotten stupid with their legal terms and conditions that most of the up front content on a coupon is meant to hook the customer but not actually deliver what is being presented. If you need a complicated chart to explain to someone what they need to o to save $0.10, then its a BS coupon and thats on your suppliers, not the customer. 

In some cases it's written clearly you Must spend $20 dollars. People don't read the fine print just like they don't on tickets where it says it's none refundable for this event

--------

3 I'll admit, this is pet peeve of mine as well. But in any situation, there are jerk holes who fain ignorance. I almost got into a 'physical debate' with a guy at BJs once who showed up to the 10 or less line with an overflowing cart. 

Had a customer complain today (See an above post on the issue) and now my manager says we need to be real strict on this.

-------------

4. this is just a stupid rule and is on the location making that law. 

to a certain extent I do agree however it's PA laws and other legal BS since we also have minors who work our store. We eventually will have all lanes (Not till 2021-22) certified beer and win and signage will be posted up for anyone who can't sell that register is closed. But we all know some people can't read like the above posts are both suggest-in

-------------

For part 1. Not for nothing, I'm on my time. I just walked your whole store and collected stuff in a cart only to take it all back out again so you can ring it up, and then put it all back in again. If I'm not following your made up protocol to the letter, well then tough ####. Maybe i'm trying to keep my kid from grabbing something off your gum rack, or putting something in my cart I dosing know about and didn't pay for? Or maybe I should just let them be and give you another opportunity to complain, like in your next point. 

As for the cell phones, yep they are annoying, but are a part of life now. People are ##### when on their phones in many situations, its not just you.  

Part 1 is not about the one you discribed situation but those by themselves a young 35-40 yrs old by themselves who is perfectly capable of handling bagging or at least helping. Kids and that stuff I understand. One day the only person who bagged which I didn't expect her too was the women who was pregnant ready to pop and had a kid with her

As for part 2 yeah I see this plenty in all places. It'd just be nice if people paid attention to what they are doing then not get made and blame you when it was their fault

--------------

6 I think I see the problem here...no additional commentary needed.

My company has gotten better. The Interns we get for Manager jobs now are trained for all departments. However unless they run the FE which is cashiers/service desk most managers aren't trained for registers. My ASD's are both trained for self check out and can override things and know how to do register but very rarely need to as we have enough people in store this hasn't become an issue for them to check. However if neither is there and needed for that well SOL 

--------------

7 "Yes mame, things are being delivered on that truck, but until lit is all canned and put into our system I don't know what is in the shipment and unfortunately I can't sell it to you. If you'd like, visit customer service desk and they can put the items aside for you if there are there. 

I've still had people say can't you just get it's one item. Like seriously some people don't know when to quite 

---------

8. again...no additional commentary needed.

This one should've had the additional if you are that customer who always comes in to just complain the manager isn't going to care and brush you off. There's 2 I know who do it constantly and my managers just laugh it off when they leave. They've been told before about 2 things they constantly complain about that is a corporate decision not the stores and to contact them. Just easier to yell at us I guess then in an email or on the phone

--------

9. That N-hater guy prob does that to Girl Scouts selling cookies too, he's just an ####### who is a ##### 24 hours a day. Don't make him my fault. Regardless, people sometimes have bad days just like you and unfortunately take it out on non-deserving people. I'm sure at some point in your life, you blew up at someone who at the end of day didn't deserve it. But the difference is, you see hundreds of customers in a day so the probably it more in your favor of running into a jack hole then others. Just the law of averages. Don't like it, then get a job where you don't interact with as many people. 

Understandable but when it's the same customer constantly it's not a bad day. That's a YOU PROBLEM NOT A ME PROBLEM OR MY COMPANY PROBLEM. Don't be taking that out on us 

------------

10 Sorry, do I get a discount for doing someone else work? How come 2 lines over there is a bagger but not on my line? Do they pay more for having a bagger? I'm being a bit over the top, but its true. As I said before, I just loaded and unloaded the cart, now I need to bag it all again. Let me guess, you are someone who complains about the technology to let customers each have a hand scanner and ring up their food while shopping, saying, 'Its taking away good jobs!'? Yea, I'll help, but at the end of the day, it's not my job. If I chose to not bag, then I have that right. And why should you care if its considerate or not to other customers, thats not your job. Your job is to finalize my shopping experience, and that includes bagging the items I just bought from your market. 

I have no idea of any store who lets customers do that in my area or state yet. No the problem with baggers is like I stated above. A lot harder to find, coporations are now bigger on where money spent goes is it more profitable to have 4 extra baggers or is it better to have that Full time extra meet cutter everyone loves and that Full Time Cashier who's your fastest? With the bagging it's more of a common courtesy thing. Also theres customers who refuse to bag then complain how you bagged it for them. Well sorry If you wanted certain items in one bag thats  YOUR JOB TO TELL ME WHEN BAGGING FOR YOU. Don't get upset. Thats where I really get annoyed with them or you bag half their stuff and they then tell you Can I have paper and Plastic and could you Rebag those other items in that for me. 

-------------

11. Right, so now 1. Be ready with payment, 2. Follow instructions 3. Don't be on any devices that could distract you from allowing me to do my job the way I want to...and now 4. Don't talk to me? Really? You may have heard it 100 times before, but the customer is trying to be nice and engage with you some light hearted conversation. I don't know you personally, and I know this exchange is going to be quick, so i'm not going discuss quantum physics with you as you put my produce on a scale and push some buttons. 

This is more of the customer gives the fake laugh after saying it like they are funny. Sorry I've heard the joke a million times. Its the old its been beaten to death already why keep continuing it stance. The cashier may have had a bad day. They don't need the customer saying something you know they've heard millions of times say it and think they are being funny. A "hey hows your day going?" is good enough. I don't engage in convo with Customers unless they bring something up or unless I know them. Its a simple hi hru and did you find everything you needed today, can I have your license for your beer/wine purchase? If a customer wants to engage in convo hey cool just don't bring the "oh you looked bored I'm gonna come to you" or "oh it doesn't scan I guess its free" commentary along for the ride. You aren't the first person to say it nor the last. 

-------

12. People forget stuff, get busier then expect or just simply run out of time. If your posted closing time is X, those doors better be open right until that time. 

Theres stores that won't allow anyone in 10 mins to closing. Especially liquor stores as the register shut off at precisely 10. Like I said if I have 3 customers and I'm the only one legally allowed to ring people out and it's 9:55 those are the last people I'm taking especially if one or two of those people have more items. At 10;01 PM every night my register locks. If the two people in front of the 3rd person ring up and it takes 3 mins each and it's 10:01 I HAVE TO REFUSE SERVICE LEGALLY TO THAT 3rd person. So with stores that have registers that lock at a certain time they are closing a little earlier. 

I've had people try to come in Christmas and New Yrs Eve after 6PM when we close. We are only standing at the doors to let anyone who was still in the store who was being checked out let out or any employee who is leaving the store. Thats it. We're closed. We've been told now if standing at the door turn your back and look at the inside of the store. Don't make eye contact with the people trying to come in. If you see them when letting a customer out politely tell them sorry we are closed for the night. 

------------

13 Sorry man, but I don't know about any where else, but I have 3-4 supermarkets within easy reach of my house, I visit them all and I couldn't remember 1 person I interacted with by the time I walk out the doors, let alone whenever I come back.  Not to be a ####, but you are frankly not that important to me. I want my food, pay and get out. Shopping is a chore for me, not a social activity. 

Talking usually about the person who goes to one store specifically. People come to my store over Giant do to better customer friendly and me personally as we have a cheaper and better beer selection and wine. 

Godsbrother said:
I always like bagging myself.  For some reason all of the baggers in our area seem to think that putting more than 2 items in a bag is against the law.
Most baggers aren't even told how to bag correctly. I only knew how to from shopping with my mom and always helping bag and stuff. 

you people who refuse to bag are nuts. 

I'm a single guy who generally isn''t buying a ton of groceries, (so maybe I just dont understand the pain or inconvenience that comes with bagging up $300 worth of food) but when I go to the grocery store, my goal is to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.  People treat a trip to the grocery store like a freaking vacation. I want to get in and out.

So yeah, if there's no bagger and I can save even a minute bagging while Old Millie (or some disinterested teenager) at the register fumbles with my groceries, I'm certainly going to do so.

As for the OP, every job has rude people you have to deal with, workflows/rules that make your life harder, etc.  And yeah, I'm guessing that dealing with that sort of stuff sucks WAY more when you're 30 years old, living at home and making $14 an hour.  I have things I hate about my job too. They're first world types of problems, (and I'm getting paid well to deal with them) but they still drive me nuts.

I dont know your life situation. (not everyone has the ability/opportunity/freedom to get the job they'd like to have, so I'm not gonna judge)  But if I were you, I'd be WAY more focused on getting out of your current predicament (either by pursuing other opportunities or at the very least, pushing HARD for a managerial position after 15 years) than getting off Sunday afternoons to watch the Eagles play.

Ghost Rider said:
You nailed it.  
Wrong I'm a Gen X person. Not always the managers fault and some people think because a person has a minimum wage job and you don't you can treat them like ####. You treat everyone with respect. People think they can do and act as they please in this country without a care for others and become entitled. It's a huge problem with this country and has gotten worse with the current administration in the White House. 

MAC_32 said:
I don't agree with a lot of this.  Any time one can help with the efficiency of an operation I think they should do it.  Sure, if your help will just cause further delay then don't.  But my wife and I practice a lot of what he is asking of others.  We respect other people's time and try to think outside of our immediate wants.
Most people have become entitled and lazy. I've gone to other retail stores and seen some corporate exec get all pissy because the Wendy's messed up his food order threatening to call corporate and get this young kid fired who was on the first day of his job. The biggest issue I've seen is the bigger up in the work life they are the more entitled and more douchey or #####y they get. They think because they have a 401K and make a salary 75K or more over you they should kiss the ground said person walks on. Like I said to the OP of the post if it wasn't for my company and others most people would be hunting/gathering, cleaning, prepping and cooking their own food themselves. Something I highly doubt many are capable of doing. We just make it more convent for you where you might need to clean the food before cooking not including other prep work on a recipe. Yeah cool you have a job where they pay you100K salary. Money is cool but the way I see you come in here and ##### about it all the time and then take it out on us and act entitled because of your job status doesn't seem you really enjoy that job. I have a customer who had 150K job a year got a promotion and got 200K. Absolutely hated it from a stress stand point and way less family time. Saw his wife and kids I want to say in an entire week for maybe 8 hrs at most and worked weekends. He ended up quitting. He was a complete jackass too but the minute he quite got a less stressful job and was making only60K a year he was one of the nicest customers you had that day. That status isn't all that its cracked up to be. 

People don't get how hard it is to hire people now. This isn't your little trader joes either where the employee knows the price of every item. I know most or the range of the expense of the items in my department. However I couldn't tell you 95% of the rest of the store nor most of the sales for the week. The item rang up wrong? Usually a computer error or you didn't buy the right product for that sale. 

Point of this here is it doesn't matter what your status is. Be kind and courtesy and respect ALL PEOPLE. Don't be that person who gets video taped and put all over social media for acting like a cl####### in the grocery store. Don't come in my line berating the poor girl who barely speaks English who is in my line often who I take time with in case she doesn't understand something and try to speak as much or my best Spanish I can to help her. If I wanted too I could call MY SD and The Shopping center security and they'd have you removed off the premisses. 

MAC_32 said:
"This is where I am supposed to say 'I I guess this is free' then the second I leave you make fun of the customer to your co-workers."

Almost always yields an audible laugh.
Nah we just laugh at the customer and call them an ####### especially if they then start making problems. Then you always got the overly too happy person who tells you to smile more at the register. One lady complained about my co worker not smiling enough. I guess she needed something to ##### about that day to us. My SD he said couldn't help but have a chuckle with my co worker about it. 

parasaurolophus said:
These first four read like a crappy retail employee playbook. 

Somebody was too lazy to go get the carts and put them in the front of the store. Somebody else is running late for work so they have to run to the back to punch in/log in before getting dressed so their time sheet doesn't show them as being late. Then an employee is in a rush to get stuff done because they spent too much time chatting about youtube videos and now demand that customers gtfo the way so they can hurry. Another employee is hungover so they cant wait to shove the fast food they bought in the front of the store in their face as they walk through the store instead of being a decent well mannered individual and eating in the employee break room. Probably playing some dumb video on their phone while walking through store eating a slice of pizza and expecting everybody to part for them like the red sea and have to listen to their phone.

Then of course we have the stupid dishonest marketing department employees that love using fine print. 10 for 10!!! well actually in microscopic print they are 1.00 each. Then of course you have the 4 for 12 but they are 4.49 each in the fine print. Oh I am sorry Mr. Lazy employee that my grandma has to bother you since she didn't read the newspaper spam that you sent to her that she cant opt out of and she cant get down on her hands and knees to read the stupid little tag that you purposely put on the bottom shelf because you don't want people to actually know the real deal.
Could be true but usually not all of them. I have a manager who works his ### off daily. When you work with him it's non stop. He's great but he expects certain things done within a time because he has a chart that works well he's estimated from doing himself over the years how long some project should take. I've had people stop and look at their phone while he or I have held a ladder. Like look I'm being nice and need you to please move and then after the 3rd time because you either ignored me or just aren't paying attention I have to raise my voice in a way to have you look up. Or maybe there was an incident that happened that was out of our hands like a call out or someone got hurt on the job. Maybe theres a spill that needs to be cleaned up and we are rushing to get to it because some idiot wants to try and walk into the spill, intentionally fall over so they can sue us? 

A lot of these examples yes I've seen but are pure copouts by people who who are offended because it probably pertains to them being the lazy or ignorant person not paying attention. This whole thing goes both ways customers and employees. The person being late? Maybe there was traffic Person running out? Maybe they had an emergency with their kid at school or had an appointment they need to get too. Hey maybe they take public transit and need to catch the bus or train? 

glvsav37 said:
I'm in the same camp, but I also know that while I normally respect peoples time, but sometimes I'm not. You cant be Mr Rodgers 100% of the time for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone can be, even the nicest people can be having tough day or be distracted or just not 100% in tune with everything all the time. Problem is that we don't always interact with the same cashier each time we go to the store, so there is no way for that employees to know "wow, Mr Glvsav37 is rude today, maybe he's having a bad day?" Instead the OP is lumping all of those single bad interactions, among 100s of people per shift into 'us people' 

Have I checked out while on my cell phone, yea...didi I like it, no, I try not to let it happen, but it does. Sorry Mr Cashier, but thats life. I'm moving around getting through my day, and you are standing there working. When i'm working, I don't get caught up in my phone, but I also don't interact with other people mostly. Maybe the next 10 times I check out, my phone is in my pocket, does it still make me a bad customer in the OP's eyes? 
Nope This is mostly about people who are regulars like this. Like the person I mentioned who complained today. They were livid with my ASD. One of the nicer people in the regs. We chalked it up as boy he must've had a bad day. 

MAC_32 said:
You're not wrong, but I think it's important to note who those actual employees are.  For many it's either a first job - or a side job.  Many other fits, but those two immediately came to mind.  Some are going to approach it the same as they would anything else they do - whether good or bad.  If you expect the norm to be the good then you're kidding yourself.  If you expect quality service then you have to pay for it.  Because the ones at this company that are actually making money making the decisions that create the environment you're describing aren't actually on site.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather put a little more effort in and pay less. 
Bingo. Most of my younger co workers are only working there because of the old "My parents made me get a job." I was the same way at one point or time. When I realized well this job might be my life work environment I should probably change my mind set and make the most of it and I have. More engaged, know people who come in who are supervisors and corporate people (VP of the company lives 3 blocks from the store in my township been invited to their parties) regular who seem to notice the good job I do. One SD is fighting to get me full time. Some co workers are there for a college job etc. If customers are expecting 5 star restaurant service at the local Kroager/Food Lion/ACME/etc they are kidding themselves and need  a reality check 

Users who are viewing this thread