What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proper etiquette while being a customer in Retail (2 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
I've actually seen cashiers at Shop Rite texting on their phone between customers on line seemingly oblivious that even holding up the line for 10-15 seconds is rude. Now these are usually young kids so I'm not going to look to get them fired or cause a scene but it's far worse than a customer on a phone while checking out.
My company has a policy. First time caught on phone suspension 2nd time termination. Union won't even fight it for you. I'm allowed to because of my department and I'm texting my boss or back up something like a vendor came in and wants to know this could you give them a text/call/email etc. Or hey theres an issue about this what can be done about it. Or hey this product didn't show up or what have you. I don't do it at the register but if my SD sees me he knows I'm texting my boss. If I'm calling her or my back up I'll step outside. 

As for the other cashiers in most cases this isn't happening but you never know. There could be a family emergency or something. As long as theres a note and the department manager and SD know and ok it you can have it out. For example before I went to Beer/Wine my mom had Breast cancer had the surgery and everything else. I had to keep in contact as I was the only one closes to home if something happened I could run home. With my bosses permission I could have my phone out. I also asked if it was ok for me to text her every hour or so  and check my phone a few times in between that in case she had texted me. 

Bucky86 said:
Kind of off-topic, but does anyone know why Wholefoods has security like it's protecting diamonds and jewelry?

Our WF has like 3 off-duty cops at all times and they're fully locked and loaded. Guns, tasers, bullet proof vests, tactical gear. :lol:  
Are you located in a bad neighborhood or is the store known for shop lifters? I know one ACME nears me has an off duty cop right outside the entrance do to where their beer and wine section is. My one acme is in a bad neighborhood and during school let out hrs Cops are everywhere. The McDonalds locks their doors as they have had knife and gun fights break out. 

jvdesigns2002 said:
I manage a small but successful retail business. While I think that the majority of our customers are amazing--I will say that many modern day consumers can absolutey be dooshy.   In the past I have  actually contemplated starting my own thread where I post some of the interesting things that occur in my life and workplace--including some stories about interesting consumer interactions.  Full disclosure--I'm not saying that I fully agree or disagree with the OP as I honestly did not read his entire post.   
Between the two of us we could probably start a thread on that with some pretty interesting stories. 

[icon] said:
In a vacuum, sure. 

But in this reality, this occasional kindness is taken advantage of and becomes expected. We are already now checking our own groceries out.

If more people consistently bag their own stuff, managers will notice and not staff as many baggers. You’re suddenly expected to perform a service you are paying for. #### that. 
Wrong companies can't find enough people who want to bag. Most of the people at my store who bag have some sort of health or mental issue. The one girl I'm not sure her issues. My other bagger she went legally blind when she was a checker but is an amazing bagger. They let her stay on and bag. Most baggers you see today have some sort of health or mental issue Everyone else one else capable is expected to do janitor like duties. I've also been pulled from Carts/Bagging by my SD or other managers to do other jobs as well that I know to do. They would also use me to check when it got busy so theres one bagger they can't use. A lot of baggers have multiple jobs now. People don't get that though. Also here's some homework for some people. If you know some local kids looking for a job 16-18 tell them to apply for a job bagging groceries. I bet you can't get 5 guys who'd jump on that even if you told them the local supermarket or mom and pop store was looking for help. A lot of kids today are incredible lazy. 

Doug B said:
This may be a socio-cultural thing in different parts of the country. I know, too, that in some parts of Europe customers routinely bag their own items all the time and are completely used to it.

That said ... around here, customers rarely ever bag groceries. Bagging groceries is considered as integral to a cashier's job as operating the register itself. Bagging is not a supplemental task and it's not a courtesy to the customer -- bagging IS the job.

Furthermore, around here, if you're behind someone with a ton of stuff and the cashier is bagging it with both due haste and care ... you don't get mad that the customer ahead of you should be bagging their own stuff so you can get out faster. Waiting for the cashier to bag is part of the overhead of going grocery shopping, and being impatient about it is gauche. We'd no more expect the person in front of us to bag than we'd expect the person in front of us to start scanning their own food and operating the register.

That said: there is sometimes a younger, greener set of cashiers who can't bag as they go, so they scan everything first and make a big pile, THEN they bag. And sometimes -- just now and then -- they kind of give you a look and give off a vibe of "Why didn't you bag your groceries -- you'd have gotten out quicker." But cases like that are outliers, and the cashiers that feel like customers should bag are typically considered to be out of line.
This was a sub topic I knew would Geta lot of talk do to the differences around the country. Here in the Northeast Customers by cashiers and other customers literaly expect a customer with a big order to at the very least put their own bags in their cart if not at least help with the bagging. Also the bolded is something that cracks me up when the customer is annoyed how long they spent in line and trying to hurry to get out but don't help bag their own groceries. Like if you weren't in a rush and not lazy you could've been done much quicker. Come on use some common sense. I'm in a hurry and want to get out faster. Maybe I should help bag my stuff if I'm able too. Don't complain to me you wanted to be out faster. Sometimes that customer didn't do proper time management either. 

Juxtatarot said:
Interesting article why Walmart is concerned about Aldi more than other stores.  They aren't for everyone but I embrace their cheapness in operations. 

I also think I'm the most efficient Aldi customer ever.  I line everything up on the belt in the order I want to pack it (for example, cans first, bread last) and am as fast packing as the cashier is scanning.  
I literally boycott Walmart. I now friends and others who have worked the local ones tell me horror stories. Not about customers but employees and managers. They get treated terrible, no benefits and Walmart is the largest known company in America that Hires Illegals. I won't get into the whole immigration policy other then Walmart intentionally hires them because thats how they keep their products so cheap. I've also had some terrible experiences as a customer in there from employees and going in there on a holiday season is a death wish. 

Juxtatarot said:
Interesting article why Walmart is concerned about Aldi more than other stores.  They aren't for everyone but I embrace their cheapness in operations. 

I also think I'm the most efficient Aldi customer ever.  I line everything up on the belt in the order I want to pack it (for example, cans first, bread last) and am as fast packing as the cashier is scanning.  
This is always appreciated by the cashier too. And if you are as fast as the person checking it's effiencent and the people behind you love it and you and I 

EYLive said:
When you say retail, you really just mean grocery stores, right? When I think "retail", I think Target, Victoria's Secret, Best Buy... in that order.
I'm talking every where including grocery. Most of mine are Grocery stores but can imply to those other stores. 

My wife is a supervisor in a retail chain and always has some great stories of d-bag customers. Last week, a lady brings in the top half of a rod and reel and wants them to replace the bottom the rod and reel. Of course, she also has no receipt and starts getting very loud when they can't help her because she was supposed to have a 1 yr warranty. After calling the manager, she still is loud and eventually spills the beans that her husband got mad and broke the rod and threw the bottom half in the ocean. She finally asked for the corporate number and left telling them she would never shop there again. This is why I couldn't work retail as I would have been just as rude in return.
Here's one. Dude brings in his receipt from the ACME a town over (about 15-20 min drive depending on traffic) gets 15 case cans bud light and brings it up to the register asks for an exchange. My back up has to do it at the register but isn't sure of the receipt if we can accept another acmes Beer/wine exchange. Goes over to the Service desk to get my ASD or someone. Guy is there for two mins tells me he has to run to his car to get the card he paid for it. Never comeback. My back up feels the beer case ice cold. Dude tried to scam us and when he realized he was gonna be caught high tailed the min he had a chance. My ASD said she would've called the cops too had he stayed. 

Seriously, what is the big deal with all these ivory tower snobs in here?  Whatever gets me out faster is what I want.  If there’s a separate bagger, great.  If not, I ain’t too proud to bag.
Entitlement and laziness and sometimes ignorance. Most want to get out as fast as possible. If it means bagging their own stuff they will do it. 

Just did this tonight. I pull into the parking lot and see two carts nowhere near the cart corral. I grabbed them and wheeled them in. Just so happens an employee was outside retrieving those kid wagons (animal, minivan almost carts), said thanks to me, and went back out. I didn't even realize it was an employee because I realized later on. The only question I have is, "Who thinks its a good idea to leave two carts, on a hill, away from the corrals, and be okay with it?" People are rude.
You'd be surprise. Ive had customers try to shove their cart at me when I would bring in carts. Clearly the customer can see I'm struggling bringing what I have in. I usually say leave it in the Corrall or put it in by your car and I'll come back. You wouldn't believe the dirty looks I get. Then you have the people who wheel the Cart in from the Colonial Market. Customers who take all their stuff out put it up take the bags and leave and LEAVE THE CART IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CASHIER ISLE!!!!! You also get the people who park in the first 3 spots near the front of the store that aren't handicap who push them up on the isle part of the parking lot. Like seriously you couldn't go 10 feet and push the cart into the cart cage by the store? 

My favorites are when you have a buddy helping you and you make a train with all the carts from one corral. Coming down the parking lot ready to hit that lane where the cars pass the store. The person driving sees you and puts the pedal to the medal and tries to speed passed you so they don't have to wait for your train to come down. My favorite are the people who park the car right by the ####### ramp to go into the parking lot. I've hit cars (unintentionally) before with carts parked there. Customer complains Shopping lot security comes over laughs at them and says its your fault you parked there we aren't liable for anything. Move along. I have multiple stories alone on doing the carts I can share and just how ####### rude and ignorant people are.

Oh an FYI every person who does carts hates the kiddie carts. Trust me parents we are with you on hating those things. 

So are you a state employee - or some kind of a unionized offshoot of that?  
Unionized work for Albertson/ACME union. My Boss doesn't technically speaking work for the Store. She's paid by the state but her check comes to our store and she's still technically an employee for us. It's one of those weird title things 

you people who refuse to bag are nuts. 

I'm a single guy who generally isn''t buying a ton of groceries, (so maybe I just dont understand the pain or inconvenience that comes with bagging up $300 worth of food) but when I go to the grocery store, my goal is to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.  People treat a trip to the grocery store like a freaking vacation. I want to get in and out.

So yeah, if there's no bagger and I can save even a minute bagging while Old Millie (or some disinterested teenager) at the register fumbles with my groceries, I'm certainly going to do so.

As for the OP, every job has rude people you have to deal with, workflows/rules that make your life harder, etc.  And yeah, I'm guessing that dealing with that sort of stuff sucks WAY more when you're 30 years old, living at home and making $14 an hour.  I have things I hate about my job too. They're first world types of problems, (and I'm getting paid well to deal with them) but they still drive me nuts.

I dont know your life situation. (not everyone has the ability/opportunity/freedom to get the job they'd like to have, so I'm not gonna judge)  But if I were you, I'd be WAY more focused on getting out of your current predicament (either by pursuing other opportunities or at the very least, pushing HARD for a managerial position after 15 years) than getting off Sunday afternoons to watch the Eagles play.
You don't think I've tried to get FT or a manager job? Trust me retail and moving to the top is more about who you know then anything else. I know people but not well enough where someone knows someone who can get me Full time with a snap of a finger. The one guy my Shop Steward who was able to had been in and out with his own health issues and I wasn't gonna bother him when he was dealing with that and his family has done so much to help me I could never repay their kindness in full properly. He then retired. My only way of getting full time now is being  sneaky trying to get more hours. I was told by someone in management I knew to not tell anyone their name they told me this as they really shouldn't have but I was one of the very few he wished would get full time. Basically if I avg 32-35 hrs in a 6 month period by Union law and what my company agreed to they'd be forced to offer me Full Time at the store. Its also why they try to keep us under 30 hrs per week. I also have a SD at another store offering me hrs there once they get their beer and wine. Hoping he can maybe sneak me in FT eventually. When I first met him 5 yrs into the job he offered me FT at his store. I couldn't do it. I was still in college trying to prove to my teachers who said I'd never graduate with even an Associates degree I could and did. I didn't drive, his store was too far in a bad area and then a year later it closed and he was transferred. However he's always tried to find opportunities to get me aboard his stores Full Time where he's gone. 

Also they are trying to cost cut do to being over (Some of that is do to renovations as many of our stores do not have beer and wine sections as it's 3 yrs or so new, doing 2-4 stores a year) budget right now. For me one of their higher paid employees who get Sunday pay it defeats that purpose. Technically since I get Sunday pay if I really wanted to make a stink about it I can rightfully tell them Sunday is technically optional and only voluntary for me to work. If I so choose to not work it I can't be punished for it. Again I never said I minded coming in for my boss who needed off or holiday season. More so a promise and deal that was made with me has been broken. Not my fault two of my co workers got caught shop lifting and were fired. You also promised to get us 2 new people to replace them and its been almost 4 months since then. 

As for me personally I don't drive. I don't make enough to live on my own and I'm autistic (Aspergers). So I have plenty of factors against me already. I'm one of the lucky ones where I am at right now. If you only knew what I've had to go through to keep my job, not quit, have had past SD's try and make me quit just because they didn't like me or whatever or tried to pull bull#### do to my learning or mental disabilities, etc. I use to get pulled to do others jobs they couldn't do because I did it better or a call out. I had one Utility clerk who had some health issues so a tricky situation to deal with. Instead of dealing with his issues I was asked to literally stay and babysit the guy which I did. I stopped after I realized I was just more of a we'll just use this to band aid the issue. Fortunately he got transferred to another store after an incident with a customer. I've stayed because of call outs, come into work for call outs, offered to take shifts to help etc. Thats just the tip of the iceberg I've dealt with my 15 yrs. 

I will say the job taught me a few life lessons. How to stick up for myself and when people know you have a disability and are scumbags they will try and take advantage of you. So I keep a close knit of people co-workers around me I can trust and go too. My Department manager is also pretty protective of me. Another co worker who loves to cause issues tried to involve me in an issue. My manager of my department put a stop to it quickly. No one told me until the incident was resolved. It's not I can't fight my own battles more so I don't always read people the right way of being helpful or deceitful. I have a whole pack of co workers who if some manager tried to screw with me well lets just say that manager's job is going to get less desirable. My complaint against former manager helped get them fired. Another transferred because I spoke up when others were too afraid. Both of these were with SuperFresh/A&P. 

Are you located in a bad neighborhood or is the store known for shop lifters? I know one ACME nears me has an off duty cop right outside the entrance do to where their beer and wine section is. My one acme is in a bad neighborhood and during school let out hrs Cops are everywhere. The McDonalds locks their doors as they have had knife and gun fights break out. 
I noticed a big grocery box store that had gates that closed off the liquor aisle at a certain time of night. And this was in a nice area. Maybe more to discourage after hours buying than stealing?

All I can say is God Bless Publix. I have bagged my own groceries there, but if a bagger suddenly comes available then they're somewhat taken aback that you bagged your own groceries.

And they treat their employees well

I have a buddy who just turned 50 who is still receiving dividends on his Publix stock from when he worked in college.

Wrong companies can't find enough people who want to bag. Most of the people at my store who bag have some sort of health or mental issue. The one girl I'm not sure her issues. My other bagger she went legally blind when she was a checker but is an amazing bagger. They let her stay on and bag. Most baggers you see today have some sort of health or mental issue Everyone else one else capable is expected to do janitor like duties. I've also been pulled from Carts/Bagging by my SD or other managers to do other jobs as well that I know to do. They would also use me to check when it got busy so theres one bagger they can't use. A lot of baggers have multiple jobs now. People don't get that though. Also here's some homework for some people. If you know some local kids looking for a job 16-18 tell them to apply for a job bagging groceries. I bet you can't get 5 guys who'd jump on that even if you told them the local supermarket or mom and pop store was looking for help. A lot of kids today are incredible lazy. 

Bagging is a kids job.... 16-18. If you can’t find help, your manager is a cheap ### and add a buck an hour.....

.... or force your checkers to bag $300 orders and provide #### service to your customers, force everyone to go online/elsewhere and have to lay off staff or close down. 

None of that is my problem. I’m just there to buy my food... or not. Thats their call. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even remember the last time I was in a grocery store (let alone other type of retail establishment other than Aldi or a self checkout) where I was in a position to do my own bagging.  The cashier scans the item and puts it in a bag, fills the bag and puts it in my cart or hands it to me.

I mean, I remember places where they scanned everything first and then bagged it all, but I thought that had pretty much gone by the wayside.  Maybe it was more efficient when people paid by check, so you could give them the total and then bag while they filled it out, but it doesn't seem so now.

jhib said:
I find a few of your points confusing, but especially this one.

a) You want the person with 20 items to go to the express line?

b) There are places where you can only purchase a lemon at one of the available registers?
A) no My expresses are 15 or 10 or less. If you have 20 items you get in a regular line. In fact my ASD went over this today with a co worker of mine and myself I'll explain in part b

B) PA do to Liquor laws has separate registers where only Beer/Wine can be purchased. Some of this is do to having to be 21 age wise to ring and stock. We have minors who work the grocery stores not R.A.M.P Certified. Its not fair for our Beer/Wine customers to have some customer neither item and has 20 items or 10 things get in our line during a rush hour. This person can go to any other register but our but our Beer/Wine people maybe buying a thing of Corona and Limes can't go to the regular express. I had gone on break came back saw a line at my section took the NEXT AVAILABLE CUSTOMER. One Customer was complaining about people coming into our lines with more items then it says it allotted on the signage. My ASD had a chat with the guy and we've had other complaints. So She told us we are going to get more strict on the 10 or 15 Items rule if you have beer and Wine. One register is for people with 10 items the other 15 and that includes the Beer/Wine. Also with our regulations you can only buy and "X" amount of beer or wine. So we may have to do more then one transaction. It gets a little confusing but we've had people complain about people coming in with too many items. I've been told by customers though they like coming to my line do to how strict I am about # of Items, if the customer has beer and wine etc. I literally if I'm busy especially a holiday season kicking anyone out of line who doesn't have beer and wine. Yes I'd take that customer if we were dead or on a slow day but not during a holiday or busy rush hour. For some its more convienent then the state store as they always have issues of not enough registers opened, EFT machine not working, power outages etc etc. 

Starting now if you have more then 15 or 10 items with your beer/wine depending on what register is open you can only purchase Beer/wine there and move to another regular lane for the food. I always tell customers or suggest helpfully its easier to come in and get your beer and wine first then continue your regular shopping or just do your regular shopping pay and then come over. I even say its more appreciated by us because its easier for us to keep track of who's in the store who has paid for their adult beverages or not. We've been open for 2 yrs and have had at least 5 incidents of a customer with beer/wine accidentally rung up at a regular check out or walking out with it from the Self check out as it doesn't ask for an ID there or anything. I'm shocked it doesn't happen more often but our none beer/wine employees are now getting extra and better training on this as well. 

If your store's policies are stated as clearly as this, it's no wonder there's confusion and people getting mad at each other.

Bagging is a kids job.... 16-18. If you can’t find help, your manager is a cheap ### and add a buck an hour.....

.... or force your checkers to bag $300 orders and provide #### service to your customers, force everyone to go online/elsewhere and have to lay off staff or close down. 

None of that is my problem. I’m just there to buy my food... or not. Thats their call. :shrug:  
Well then don't be the one complaining how you aren't out faster because the cashier took too long. Its just gonna make you and others look like hypocrites. 

I can't even remember the last time I was in a grocery store (let alone other type of retail establishment other than Aldi or a self checkout) where I was in a position to do my own bagging.  The cashier scans the item and puts it in a bag, fills the bag and puts it in my cart or hands it to me.

I mean, I remember places where they scanned everything first and then bagged it all, but I thought that had pretty much gone by the wayside.  Maybe it was more efficient when people paid by check, so you could give them the total and then bag while they filled it out, but it doesn't seem so now.
That's not a bad thought. A lot slower with writing a check then paying by Card/phone now. Also different part of the country have different styles 

If your store's policies are stated as clearly as this, it's no wonder there's confusion and people getting mad at each other.
We have signage posted through out the department stating where to pay for beer and wine, signs about needing ID and beer limits, etc. The problem most customers don't read the signage. It's not about it not properly placed its just that a lot of customers are too lazy to read. Its like what was said earlier the person with 25 items who tries to get into the 10 or less lane and ignores it. I had a customer who tried to get 15 items with their beer/wine (so 17 items total) a co worker came in and put her stuff down next to my register 15 or more. She first asked to pay for everything at my booth I told her sorry unless its 10 or less. Then she tries to weasel her way into the 15 items or more line my coworker put her stuff down. I told him my co worker was not clocked in yet was 10 mins early and that 15 items thing is also for the beer/wine lane. I apologized and told her she could go to the 15 or less express lane. I felt bad but I'm trying to prevent an issue further down the line as well. I think one of the biggest issues and reasons customers complain is the express lane is at the other side of the front so they have to walk further. I've started to tell people today it might be easier if you shopped for your beer and wine first and then paid or do your other shopping and pay for that then come over and get your beer/wine. It makes the process much easier. 

The issue is my store allows customers to also buy food with their beer/wine. Other places like Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck as some call it around here), GIANT, etc you can only buy beer/wine at those sections nothing else. I know it was put in to compete with these other stores and it can be a convince but at the same time its causing a lot more issues then needed. If we kept it to just beer and wine then I think we'd have less complaints of long lines. 

[icon] said:
I won’t complain, I’ll just go to the store across the street that has baggers 😁
My biggest pet peeve around here is people who complain about taking too long big order and then don't even help. 

Also do you know how many times a year I see this exact or similar comment by customers only to see them shopping In my store 2 other times that week and then again the next week, the next week after etc etc? A lot of customers are filled with empty threats on this saying they'll go to another store. Some can't even afford to go. It's just another example of "yeah I'll believe it when I see it" moment. 

Again like @Doug B posted the other day different parts the country is different in terms of baggers etc. There are some places that have baggers that are over 50 doing it. Some places don't have many baggers. Up here in the Northeast of the country it's not mandatory a customer bags but when the person has a lot of items it's almost expected by the Customers behind them, and employee. I've had people cable of bagging their own stuff not bag a $300 order and customers give that person a dirty look and a you got to be kidding me. In another part of the country that maybe perfectly acceptable. Just know from paying attention your surroundings differences of the culture when going to another part of the country. When I go else where I will check different cultural aspects. When we went food shopping in the outer banks I checked online their policies for my friends family as they could be different then what I had at my store. Sure enough a few differences and I wanted to respect those differences. 

My biggest pet peeve around here is people who complain about taking too long big order and then don't even help. 

Also do you know how many times a year I see this exact or similar comment by customers only to see them shopping In my store 2 other times that week and then again the next week, the next week after etc etc? A lot of customers are filled with empty threats on this saying they'll go to another store. Some can't even afford to go. It's just another example of "yeah I'll believe it when I see it" moment. 

Again like @Doug B posted the other day different parts the country is different in terms of baggers etc. There are some places that have baggers that are over 50 doing it. Some places don't have many baggers. Up here in the Northeast of the country it's not mandatory a customer bags but when the person has a lot of items it's almost expected by the Customers behind them, and employee. I've had people cable of bagging their own stuff not bag a $300 order and customers give that person a dirty look and a you got to be kidding me. In another part of the country that maybe perfectly acceptable. Just know from paying attention your surroundings differences of the culture when going to another part of the country. When I go else where I will check different cultural aspects. When we went food shopping in the outer banks I checked online their policies for my friends family as they could be different then what I had at my store. Sure enough a few differences and I wanted to respect those differences. 
TL;DR

Went Grocery shopping an hour or two ago.. $150 order. 1 bagger for 6 open register.

Waited for the checker to finish then she bagged the groceries while I settled up and chatted with the GF. Heard 2 people grumbling about the lack of baggers. Won’t be back to that location. 

I'm not sure I understand that first sentence.  Your biggest pet peeve are people with large amounts of groceries that don't help bag?  

I'm not sure that's a regional thing for the Northeast.  I'm in NY state, with Wegmans and Tops the two big grocery stores in town.  Cashiers bag as they go, and customers never bag even if they wanted to (unless in the self-checkout, of course).

Went Grocery shopping an hour or two ago.. $150 order. 1 bagger for 6 open register.

Waited for the checker to finish then she bagged the groceries while I settled up and chatted with the GF. Heard 2 people grumbling about the lack of baggers. Won’t be back to that location. 
Not having many baggers on the clock seems par for the course at most grocery stores nowadays, likely because of the self-checkout lane, which gives management an excuse to have less workers on the clock.  Corporate-owned stores are usually pretty anal about labor.   

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an actual possibility of an expectation from customers behind me and/or cashiers for me to jump in and do my own bagging?

1. I've never been trained in bagging, it's all been self taught.

2. I'm busy watching the register to ensure that the 2 broccoli crowns weighing a little over a pound  I'm purchasing hasn't been rung up as 2 bunches of broccoli at a much higher unit price.

3. A couple years ago, I was buying stuff for Thanksgiving which included two 1.5 liter bottles of wine.  As I walk out of the store into the garage (right outside the entrance to the store), the handle on my doubled paper bag separates from  the bag and I lose one of the bottles of wine.  I evaluate the situation, combine the items from the remaining two bags into one, one foot shovel the pieces of glass from the wine bottle into the now empty bag, and return to the CS counter.  I was able to exchange the bag of glass for a new bottle of wine.

Trying to stay ever cognizant of differing  regional and cultural practices of grocery shopping, I ask:

(a) If I had bagged my groceries, would I have risked an invitation to the back room to review security footage to review proper bagging procedures and assign responsibility?

(b) Should I have left the wet bag and broken glass in front of the entrance?

(c) Should I have returned to the cashier and berated him/her on their incompetence?

(d) Should I have surreptitiously attempted to upgrade my wine selection?

Perhaps a fantasy football message board is not the appropriate place to offer up these questions.  There has to be a reddit subforum for this type of discussion, amirite?

So you can't buy beer if you have more than 15 items?
You can buy beer just can't check out the 15 items. Blame PA Liquor lays only gave us two "express lanes" to check people out. I tell people they are lucky we even let them buy other items with their Booz because other ACMEs with it and Whole Foods and Giant don't even let you buy a pack of gum or soda when buying it. We're technically an express lane with the exception you can buy Booze there either the 10 ITEM lane or 15 item lane. Meeting to recertifications 2 weeks ago was told PA is trying to get all registers certified to pay for any. Any register that has a minor or someone not allowed to sell booze will be signing and some sort of label showing Booze can't be rung there. That won't happen for another 3 or more yrs they said though. Some of these weird rules aren't by my company but come FROM STATE LEGISTLATURE AND LCB. 

I'm not sure I understand that first sentence.  Your biggest pet peeve are people with large amounts of groceries that don't help bag?  
No it's they have a large amount of items, don't bag, then have the audacity to ##### and moan how it took forever to check out. They get some looks from other customers too btw with those comments. If you aren't gonna bang don't complain about the timing of you getting out or better manage your time 

Not having many baggers on the clock seems par for the course at most grocery stores nowadays, likely because of the self-checkout lane, which gives management an excuse to have less workers on the clock.  Corporate-owned stores are usually pretty anal about labor.   
This plus Corporate stores are anal on labor. My Corporation the last few weeks newer hires who don't get any benefits get either only 4 days or 20 or less hours per week to help cut cost. But common sense isn't a positive. Today I worked 6 hours Sunday (normal 5 probably added hr do to holiday) I get Sunday pay so I get over $23 per hour with benefits and then working Holiday which I will get another 23 and work 6 hours again. Kind of defeating their purpose of cutting labor pay here. I'm not complaining about that being paid just pointing out how dumb they are when they say they want to cut labor cost and could cut me over the new hire making minimum wage and no bennies and doesn't get Sunday or Holiday pay. 

There is an actual possibility of an expectation from customers behind me and/or cashiers for me to jump in and do my own bagging?

1. I've never been trained in bagging, it's all been self taught.

2. I'm busy watching the register to ensure that the 2 broccoli crowns weighing a little over a pound  I'm purchasing hasn't been rung up as 2 bunches of broccoli at a much higher unit price.

3. A couple years ago, I was buying stuff for Thanksgiving which included two 1.5 liter bottles of wine.  As I walk out of the store into the garage (right outside the entrance to the store), the handle on my doubled paper bag separates from  the bag and I lose one of the bottles of wine.  I evaluate the situation, combine the items from the remaining two bags into one, one foot shovel the pieces of glass from the wine bottle into the now empty bag, and return to the CS counter.  I was able to exchange the bag of glass for a new bottle of wine.

Trying to stay ever cognizant of differing  regional and cultural practices of grocery shopping, I ask:

(a) If I had bagged my groceries, would I have risked an invitation to the back room to review security footage to review proper bagging procedures and assign responsibility?

(b) Should I have left the wet bag and broken glass in front of the entrance?

(c) Should I have returned to the cashier and berated him/her on their incompetence?

(d) Should I have surreptitiously attempted to upgrade my wine selection?

Perhaps a fantasy football message board is not the appropriate place to offer up these questions.  There has to be a reddit subforum for this type of discussion, amirite?
I would say had you bagged it your self you would have realized 2 1.5 liters of wine isn't going to hold in a double paper. The bags in grocery stores suck. My suggestion if you do bag is separate those 2 bottles next time to even out the weight more. When people tell me to bag certain things together I know will break I just end up triple bagging and wasting more bags as I know its gonna break. 

I will say I'm impressed you cleaned up the mess yourself. Most customers don't even try to do that. 

I keep feeling like @DJackson10 is taking us on a long fishing trip.  

Though he continues to do a great impression of every disgruntled, entitled DMV/unionized employee I have ever encountered.   
You might think it's entitlement but trust me it's not. Ask most retail people and they are sick and tired being treated beneath other people like a pile of dirt you kick around. For every 2 employees who might be entitled I could give you 10 entitled customers who think they don't need to follow said stores policies. It's more about treating people with respect and courtesy and try not being a complete d-bag. We get berated by entitled customers daily and just have to sit there and take it? Why because usually if we fight back we'll be the ones losing our job.

I Was in a Best Buy with a buddy a few yrs ago getting some stuff and a guy in front of me is just berating the cashier for 3 mins. At first I was like ok he's frustrated. Then it was longer as he's not out of line so I'm not only becoming impatient he's also belittling the cashier even more crossing a line. I finally knowing the cashier can't say anything look at the guy and say you know what would you please shut up because no one here wants to stand here and listen to you complain. Apologize to the young lady because this whole thing probably isn't her fault. He tells me to mind my business.I then tell him I won't and he needs to apologize to the girl. I then look at the girl real serious and politely ask her to call her department manager and the manager in charge of the store to please come over so we can have a chant. Another customer behind me is now go after the guy. Manager and department head come over and I explain to them whats going on. I tell them I work in retail myself and the customer in front of me is being an entitled ######## arguing with this poor young girl over a price. I tell the manager his employee has been very professional through the whole thing and I honestly couldn't stand there and not say something anymore. The customer behind me even agrees. 

Manager offers to take the disgruntled customer to another lane and he refuses. Manager keeps trying his best to help the customer he refuses. Manager then threatens to get security involved if he doesn't co operate and the guy now goes ape #### on the manager. Manager calls security and customer gets kicked out of the store. Because the guy acted like an entitled ##### and reamed the young employee who is now almost in tears, not only did said customer got what he thought he was entitled too he was kicked out of the store and banned from going to that store ever again. If the guy was polite and understand instead of being an entitled jerk maybe he'd have had things settled. I paid for myself and tried to calm the young girl down. I asked if I could give her a hug (Something comforting) and she said sure. She looked at me and said thank you for everything you did. This is my first week here. I told her if it didn't work out I work right down the street and she could give my employer a call to come work. A month later she was working at my store and now is our Bakery manager. Her boss at the Best Buy thanked me. He even gave me a $50 gift card. I told them I didn't need anything but they insisted and he said he had recognized me as a frequent shopper. The other great thing in all of this? My District Manager was shopping with his daughter at the time and saw the whole thing and was the customer behind me. Said I did a phenomenal job and he'd be telling my SD what I did for this girl. 

Morale of the story? Being entitled jerk customer and berating an employee is never gonna end well for said customer. You make yourself look like a complete jackass and maybe if you're lucky a video of you being one will come out on social media. Depending how bad you acted it could also lead to possible termination at your own employer as I'm sure they wouldn't want someone like that representing them especially if they are still in work uniform. If the guy behaved himself and acted like an adult maybe he'd have gotten the item at the price. The best part of this whole thing was the dude was wrong. Both the manager and I went and looked at what the price of the item was. Dude read the wrong tag. I also ended up writing a letter to Best Buy corporate explaining the situation. Next time I went in the manager involved in my incident told me the President of the company came to their store and because of their professionalism the store was getting an upgrade and would be involved as one of their "show stores' which is a big thing in retail. The manager was also promoted to corporate latter on. My buddy asked why I even involved myself. I told him I had been on the same end of that situation as the young girl was and I couldn't stand there and be a bystander. I knew she couldn't fight back and I could tell she had no idea what to do so I had to step in. He said did you also do it because your DM was behind us? I said no I didn't even realize he gotten in line behind us as I was preoccupied with the situation in front of me.  

I keep feeling like @DJackson10 is taking us on a long fishing trip.  

Though he continues to do a great impression of every disgruntled, entitled DMV/unionized employee I have ever encountered.   
Also berating an employee you just never know said employees situation. Some of these corporations have people with some sort of disability. If you're lucky and berate an employee with a disability well when we call the cops we get to add that charge of discrimination to your entitled ### as well. And guess who's side the cops are gonna take in these situations if we call them? The store's. 

Again point is treat people the same way you'd want to be treated. If you don't want me coming into your place of work or on the phone with you berating you for being bad at your job and blaming you for something that isn't your fault don't be doing it to others. If you're a customer and start treating me like #### I just figure well thats how you'd like to be treated as well. And most of the time arguing with a cashier or clerk you are barking up the wrong tree. Have an issue call for a manager. If the manager can't help you call corporate.  

I have a regular customer who comes through my line Constantly. Huge Flyers fan and we always have some sort of chat involving Gritty the mascot. She was complain about not having smaller carts which is an issue for us as we have people who steal them and such. The other is we have a bunch of those cardboard shippers and other signage in isles completely blocking isles or just making it more packed and hard to move around. She told me she wrote a complaint email to my store director completely ignored. So I told her you want to get this changed because a lot of us here working here do to. She said yes. I have my Presidents personal business card he gave me. I told her copy this email and phone number and give him a call. She also wanted to complain about a certain employee who many of us hate anyway. I said to her she'd being do us all a huge favor. 

It was rude for my SD to ignore this customer but at the same time my SD isn't the one making that rule either. Some of these things customers complain about come down when it's a corporate run company straight from the top. Complain to them about that sort of thing now us. All we can do is say we're sorry those are the rules we don't make them we just follow and enforce them. 

If I have 30 items how can I buy beer if the only lanes that sell beer are the express?
There's regular lanes you can go in. I also suggest people if you are buying more items then we can ring up buy the beer/wine first and go shopping for the rest or get the beer/wine last after you check your other items out. 

3 customers in the last few days

Older gentleman brings a cart with maybe 50-60 items. I tell him I'm express 10 or less. Guy says he has wine. so I told him ok I can only ring up the wine. He asks me why. Sir I'm an express lane 10 items or less you have about a $200 order in your cart I don't have room for all your stuff. Well what am I suppose to do. Sir get your wine here and then that young man who's standing in register 10 looking bored as heck waiting for something to do can ring up the rest of your stuff. Dude mumbles something puts the wine back and goes to check out his groceries elsewhere

I'm working another department last Wednesday had to do go outside to help with a display. Comeback in near my department there's 2 cashiers in my department now ringing up people Asked my co worker over there if everything was fine. Older lady comes in with 40 items plus wine puts her stuff up my co worker tells her she can't ring all her stuff up. She maybe had 4 things plus the wine up at this point and acts like its a hassle to put it all back up. She keeps putting her stuff up. My Co worker gives in and says then yells to the rest of the customers "Just so everyone knows this lady doesn't want to check out her other 40 items at a regular check out and she'd like to apologize for holding you all up." Lady doesn't say a thing for the rest of the transaction. Lucky myself and another coworker were there to help the customers. No one was pleased with the lady 

Today I had a lady with almost 20 items plus wine. I tell her I can only ring up the wine she can go into one of the other 3 lanes to ring her other stuff up. But why? Mam my line is an express is 10 or less and I was told by management really strict on how many items we can ring up as we've had customer complaints. Well how about I ring up my wine and 10 other items now and then my next transaction we can do another 10. No you aren't understand it's 10 items PER CUSTOMER. Seeing as it wasn't busy in my department I give in. I tell her I'll ring it all up now but next time you need to pay for the wine then go elsewhere for the other groceries. 

Wow. When I lived in NJ, I thought it was silly how Shop Rite had a little separate store right next door to the main grocery store where they had to sell their wine and beer.  Why not just let them have it all in one space?

I now think that was a brilliant setup compared to your messy situation. 

Retail is definitely not for everyone.  I spent over 30 years working for Publix down in Florida.  The thing about retail is it can provide career opportunities for people who don't have a college education or a trade to fall back on.  The thing is the opportunities are better with some companies than others Publix, Kroger and Cosco are some of the best.

Any manager worth his salt will try instill great customer service from day one from his associates.  The rule is the customer is always right without them you have no job.  I have to say I really enjoyed my job all the interactions with people.  Yes sometimes you will run into a disgruntled shopper or just a miserable human being but the majority of people are really nice.

One of the weirdest things I ever heard in retail was early on in my career I was working seafood and I was standing behind the live lobster tank and a lady asked me how fresh the lobsters were swimming around the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread