What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

85 degree days, 60 degree nights, no humidity... (1 Viewer)

I would say Nevada over California. 

You're still close enough if you really love California but you have the awesomeness that is Nevada (no income tax, entertainment, parks/hiking, etc.)

You're still close enough if you really love California but you have the awesomeness that is Nevada (no income tax, entertainment, parks/hiking, etc.)
NV almost cracks my top ten, but the oppressive heat keeps it below the others. Same goes for AZ. 

There are some really great parts of Sacramento.  None of these cities are monolithic.  It really depends on the neighborhood.
My friend lives in a magnificent development in El Dorado Hills. Great community. Great golf course. Close to Folsom Lake. I’m not a fan overall of Sac, but the proximity to Lake Tahoe and SF are big pluses too

Last edited by a moderator:
You live in Hawaii right?  I’ve lived there as well and have about a thousand relatives there. Per capita, the women aren’t even close to California's offerings. You know this. And I think California’s coastline overall blows away Hawaii's, though Hawaii’s beaches certainly win out. As far as weather, I guess that’s personal taste. I like that California not only offers temperate and sunny weather, but can also offer low humidity and snow skiing in the winter. While there are certainly crappy places in California as GM observes above, it’s that California offers so many awesome places that are incredibly diverse that makes it special. 

By the way, I’d probably put Hawaii at #2. 
Obviously this is all subjective, but I'll take the HI women. CA's are too plasticky, and I may have an Asian fetish...

Definitely don't think CA coastline blows away Hawaii's. Even if you ignore the beaches and warmer ocean water, I'll take the Napali coast and Molokai sea cliffs over Big Sur any day.

Truth be told, I prefer much colder weather, as long as I'm in the mountains. But many people seem to think HI's is optimal.

Terminalxylem said:
Of course. I just can't believe anyone would lump Utah in with horrific places like Kansas, North Dakota or Texas.
Ha. Texas is awesome, though for completely different reasons. But even as a current resident who loves the state, I wouldn’t argue for it to be near the top of the list or anything. 

The General said:
Love the Walla Walla and they do make some great wine. The cost is a huge thing as well. You are paying for that Napa Red. Like my first car type payment. Really hard to compete with Napa though that area is pretty much like heaven I think. 

Love my L’ecole, Woodward Canyon, and Mark Ryan. Let me know your spots if you wouldn’t mind. Making a trip out there in October. 
L' Ecole and Woodward Canyon are great.  

Some other favorites in SE Washington:  Dunham, Canoe Ridge, Seven Hills, Quilceda Creek, Three Rivers, Robert Karl, Gramercy, Syncline, Savage Grace

The Dreaded Marco said:
And, sadly, neither will be good enough to beat Alabama, Clemson or the best team in the Big 10. 
Sigh.....I know.  

I plan on loading up huge on Auburn week 1 and using those proceeds to cover my season tickets, the game up at UW and our round of hoppy 7% IPAs pre-game.  

Terminalxylem said:
Of course. I just can't believe anyone would lump Utah in with horrific places like Kansas, North Dakota or Texas.
Lol @ Texas.  It seems obvious that nightlife and fun aren't your thing, which I can respect.  I happen to enjoy it and would travel to Texas for music, food, sports, fun and there's plenty to do outside in Texas.  What food, nightlife, music or sports does Utah offer?  What's the cuisine?  What's the culture?  Other than skiing or national parks, what's there to lure me in?  

I do want to hit some of the national parks before I'm too old, but it's a strange state that has just a touch too many Warren Jeffs to make me want to live there.  

I'd take Utah over North Dakota or Kansas but big negative on Texas. 

Ha. Texas is awesome, though for completely different reasons. But even as a current resident who loves the state, I wouldn’t argue for it to be near the top of the list or anything. 
Too harsh on Texas, GB.  Food, women, nightlife, sports, mild winters, affordable housing, no income tax, booming economy, rich history, great music, gulf coast, Austin, river rafting the Guadalupe, Big Bend....

Man, I should move back.  

Too harsh on Texas, GB.  Food, women, nightlife, sports, mild winters, affordable housing, no income tax, booming economy, rich history, great music, gulf coast, Austin, river rafting the Guadalupe, Big Bend....

Man, I should move back.  
Yep, I love it for all these things. Also, land. For the cost of a tiny bungalow in Cali, you can own beautiful 50-plus acre ranch property, or a lakefront property with amazing topography.  Truly beautiful land is both plentiful and incredibly affordable here.

Yep, I love it for all these things. Also, land. For the cost of a tiny bungalow in Cali, you can own beautiful 50-plus acre ranch property, or a lakefront property with amazing topography.  Truly beautiful land is both plentiful and incredibly affordable here.
Let’s see some of the pics on the places, need some visual proof :intrigued: 

Lol @ Texas.  It seems obvious that nightlife and fun aren't your thing, which I can respect.  I happen to enjoy it and would travel to Texas for music, food, sports, fun and there's plenty to do outside in Texas.  What food, nightlife, music or sports does Utah offer?  What's the cuisine?  What's the culture?  Other than skiing or national parks, what's there to lure me in?  

I do want to hit some of the national parks before I'm too old, but it's a strange state that has just a touch too many Warren Jeffs to make me want to live there.  

Fun is my thing (who doesn’t like fun!?!), but it just ain’t the same flavor of fun you endorse.

Its true I don’t care about alcohol or music, nor much of nightlife/cultured activities that some cities offer. But Salt Lake does have a growing restaurant scene, which I do enjoy. They have all the sports I care about, which are based upon outdoor recreation. I only watch pro sports on TV anyway, and going to a sporting event has never been high on my to do list.

The politics, climate and terrain in Texas are hard passes for me. But I’m glad plenty of people disagree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

C'mon, man.  If you're going to play the Warren Jeffs card then I'm going to raise you a Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and Ammon Bundy. There are crazies everywhere.  :shrug:  

C'mon, man.  If you're going to play the Warren Jeffs card then I'm going to raise you a Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and Ammon Bundy. There are crazies everywhere.  :shrug:  
Don’t forget David Koresh.

I have good friends that live in SLC and there is a BYU campus on Oahu. All the LDS I’ve met have been respectful and non-proselytizing.

Headed to Minneapolis tomorrow. 92, humid, strong thunderstorms. Yuck. Hate traveling in the summer. I’d rather have cold weather in the winter than this. 

absolutely perfect 65 degrees here.  enjoying a cold beverage outside.  doing my best to ignore my daughter and her friend, that's here for a ####### sleep over.

utah plug* :  booked my deer valley, new years trip, today.  couldn't be more excited!  staying on main street, in an awesome condo.  for a skier, i have yet to experience anything better.  and i'm an old school, gnar shredding marroon.  skied all of CA and most CO.

can.  not.  wait.

*awkward

absolutely perfect 65 degrees here.  enjoying a cold beverage outside.  doing my best to ignore my daughter and her friend, that's here for a ####### sleep over.

utah plug* :  booked my deer valley, new years trip, today.  couldn't be more excited!  staying on main street, in an awesome condo.  for a skier, i have yet to experience anything better.  and i'm an old school, gnar shredding marroon.  skied all of CA and most CO.

can.  not.  wait.

*awkward
The snow in UT is the best in the country. Deer Valley is very upscale, but a great mountain.

The snow in UT is the best in the country. Deer Valley is very upscale, but a great mountain.
3rd trip to utah, 2nd to deer valley.  i'm a 50 year old ski bum, that still shreds the gnar.  being 50, i also appreciate the finer things in life.  my experience, last year, at deer valley ,was eye opening.  rarely, if ever, have i been anywhere, where the employees, seem to be truly enjoying what they do.  the level of customer service and attention to detail was off the charts!  i couldn't carry my skis if i wanted to.   free private mountain tour?  right this way!  lazy, cry cry 12 year old daughter?  there's an employee, pushing her across the flats!  complimentary over night boot storage. of course!   same for skis.  free rossignol demo ski?  duh!!    and the cherry on top?  a vueve cliquot yurt.  on the mountain.  nothing but champagne.  bourgeois  does not begin to describe it.

I'm going all in with Utah having to insert a written ban on polygamy in its constitution to become a State! 

No doubt, crazies everywhere but you gotta be a special kind of crazy to want more than one wife. ;)

Bagwans and Bundy were imports; not homegrown loons, though we have plenty if those too. 

The General said:
Washington wine > Oregon wine
I'd throw a flag on this even if I weren't in the business.  Most Washington grapes come from the east side of the Cascades where it's too hot for pinot but can ripen the big reds.  Most Oregon grapes come from the west side and the opposite is true (southern Oregon and the Columbia Gorge are improving on big reds but not up to Washington quality just yet).  I just don't think we can really compare the wines against each other and in fact they compliment each other very well - I'd prefer to say both of us are better than California at doing what we do well.  😉

General Malaise said:
Woodinville is just okay for me.  I'd much prefer the gorgeous views and myriad vineyards on the Chehalem Mountain than the hustle bustle of Woodenville.  Dozens of less trafficked hidden gems in the Willamette Valley that are 20-30 minutes from my house.  Far prettier to sit outside and gaze at Mt. Hood with a bottle of wine, bread and cheese  than it is elbowing for room in Woodinville.  I've gone a few times, meh.  Give me elevation, pinots and sightline to hawks riding the thermals. 
Yep - my Chehalem Mountain tasting room looks south so Hood views aren't an option but Parrett Mountain, Dundee Hills, and the Coastal Range are right in your face, and even South Sister and the Eola/Amity Hills are visible on a clear day.  Can't beat the Willamette Valley for the sheer volume of rustic destination wine spots.

Yep - my Chehalem Mountain tasting room looks south so Hood views aren't an option but Parrett Mountain, Dundee Hills, and the Coastal Range are right in your face, and even South Sister and the Eola/Amity Hills are visible on a clear day.  Can't beat the Willamette Valley for the sheer volume of rustic destination wine spots.
Really enjoy the drive from Scholls-Ferry/210 to 219 up and down and into Dundee before you know it.  It's terrific how close some of these beautiful places are - Cooper Mountain is maybe a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  Or for us, we can jump on 26 and head out west towards David Hill or Risdall (which used to be Shafer - great spot) which aren't as busy (least our experience). 

Kids have certainly gotten in the way for us, but my wife and I would rather go explore the wineries around us than do anything else.  She had a girls trip recently and visited Ayoub - brought back 3 different reds and each were outstanding.  She really enjoyed her time there learning about how the owner makes his wines and wants to take me there soon.  

Nice to have a person in the know around here. :thumbup:

Is there really that big of a difference between Washington and Oregon? 

I've never been to Utah, but I've always operated under the assumption it's fiscally responsible Colorado.  Basically, if you have more $ than you know what to do with then you live in Colorado. If you don't and want 80% of the Colorado experience then live in Utah.

If I weren't attached to where I am I think it'd be cool to live somewhere west of Denver.  I'd be hard pressed to name anything east of there that competes.  Where specifically just depends on my budget.  It won't be near the coast though.  Not worth the extra $ imo.  We won't ever leave Cleveland, but my dream is a 2nd home somewhere amidst one of those mountains.  Retreat out there after Christmas, come back sometime in Spring, and rent it out in between.

Really enjoy the drive from Scholls-Ferry/210 to 219 up and down and into Dundee before you know it.  It's terrific how close some of these beautiful places are - Cooper Mountain is maybe a 15-20 minute drive from my house.  Or for us, we can jump on 26 and head out west towards David Hill or Risdall (which used to be Shafer - great spot) which aren't as busy (least our experience). 

Kids have certainly gotten in the way for us, but my wife and I would rather go explore the wineries around us than do anything else.  She had a girls trip recently and visited Ayoub - brought back 3 different reds and each were outstanding.  She really enjoyed her time there learning about how the owner makes his wines and wants to take me there soon.  

Nice!  As you're coming down the mountain on 219 just turn left on Bell Road before you get to Newberg and my place is a mile down the road.  PM me next time you're planning to be in the area - I do all my tastings by appointment so you won't be fighting crowds.

Mo Ayoub is quite a character.  Makes great wine and does his tastings in his kitchen - definitely my kind of vibe.

Nice!  As you're coming down the mountain on 219 just turn left on Bell Road before you get to Newberg and my place is a mile down the road.  PM me next time you're planning to be in the area - I do all my tastings by appointment so you won't be fighting crowds.

Mo Ayoub is quite a character.  Makes great wine and does his tastings in his kitchen - definitely my kind of vibe.
Definitely will do!  Much prefer the appointment route.  Looking forward to meeting you. 

My cousin lives in Beaverton and there several of these wineries/tasting rooms within a few minutes of his house.  I think we've gone to Cooper Mountain and Hamacher.  They definitely are gorgeous.

My cousin lives in Beaverton and there several of these wineries/tasting rooms within a few minutes of his house.  I think we've gone to Cooper Mountain and Hamacher.  They definitely are gorgeous.
Cooper Mountain has $40 balsamic vinegar for purchase.  Found that to be unusual until I learned that gourmet vinegars and olive oils are quite a thing.  So much to learn about this world.  

The real fun is finding the hidden gems in the region and they are out there.  It can get obnoxiously crowded at Ponzi or Argyle or Sokol Blosser; all good wines, but they've gotten so popular the tasting fees are silly or the requirements to waive the tasting fees are outrageous.  I think at Sokol you have to buy 3 of their premium bottles to have your tasting fee waived.  Bah....sign me up for the smaller, less trafficked spots where I can get my fee waived with a reasonable bottle purchase.  Take some time with us, talk to us and I'll be buying a case before I leave.   

And now that I have a 16 year old responsible driver, I might employ him to ferry us around in the mini-van this summer.  Shoot, this should be our side business. :)

Cooper Mountain has $40 balsamic vinegar for purchase.  Found that to be unusual until I learned that gourmet vinegars and olive oils are quite a thing.  So much to learn about this world.  

The real fun is finding the hidden gems in the region and they are out there.  It can get obnoxiously crowded at Ponzi or Argyle or Sokol Blosser; all good wines, but they've gotten so popular the tasting fees are silly or the requirements to waive the tasting fees are outrageous.  I think at Sokol you have to buy 3 of their premium bottles to have your tasting fee waived.  Bah....sign me up for the smaller, less trafficked spots where I can get my fee waived with a reasonable bottle purchase.  Take some time with us, talk to us and I'll be buying a case before I leave.   

And now that I have a 16 year old responsible driver, I might employ him to ferry us around in the mini-van this summer.  Shoot, this should be our side business. :)
We have found the membership route is the way to go. Sign up for 6-8 bottles every 4-6 months or so you get free tastings for you and your friends, discount price on bottles, shipped to your office/home, supporting locals. Win, win, win.

give me some notice, and i might be able to get some private tours set up.

We have found the membership route is the way to go. Sign up for 6-8 bottles every 4-6 months or so you get free tastings for you and your friends, discount price on bottles, shipped to your office/home, supporting locals. Win, win, win.
Agreed.

And this IS a major gripe I have about Utah.  I can't have wine legally shipped to me here.  I have to falsely label the cases as olive oil or vinegar (not the $40 variety ;)  ) or candles.  Or illegally transport it over the border in my own vehicle.  Complete stupidity. 

This is hopefully the next ridiculous liquor law that will change here.  We're making progress slowly but surely so I'm cautiously optimistic.  

Yup, big fan.  Did that in the past with some of my wife's favorites, but we've just been overwhelmed with kids so money is tight and time is even tighter.  But totally agree. 

Is there really that big of a difference between Washington and Oregon? 

I've never been to Utah, but I've always operated under the assumption it's fiscally responsible Colorado.  Basically, if you have more $ than you know what to do with then you live in Colorado. If you don't and want 80% of the Colorado experience then live in Utah.

If I weren't attached to where I am I think it'd be cool to live somewhere west of Denver.  I'd be hard pressed to name anything east of there that competes.  Where specifically just depends on my budget.  It won't be near the coast though.  Not worth the extra $ imo.  We won't ever leave Cleveland, but my dream is a 2nd home somewhere amidst one of those mountains.  Retreat out there after Christmas, come back sometime in Spring, and rent it out in between.
This is accurate, at least activity-wise. And CO is getting worse because of the MJ industry, as traffic has really ramped up in the last few years, along with reefer stench.

We've turned on our A/C just once in 2019 and that wasn't for more than half a day.  

Oregon has its issues and the rain bothers some folks, especially if it ruins spring, but I'll put Oregon #1 all day long. 

Also, Oregon doesn't have a Modesto or a Stockton or a Fresno which, if you've never had the misfortune of experiencing, is more than enough to rank California below Oregon.
We have Medford 

I’m ready..let’s do it with live blogging.   

Agreed.

And this IS a major gripe I have about Utah.  I can't have wine legally shipped to me here.  I have to falsely label the cases as olive oil or vinegar (not the $40 variety ;)  ) or candles.  Or illegally transport it over the border in my own vehicle.  Complete stupidity. 

This is hopefully the next ridiculous liquor law that will change here.  We're making progress slowly but surely so I'm cautiously optimistic.  
Be thankful those laws exist - it obviously keeps a lot of people away, which keeps Utah a great place to live.

How often does one ship wine anyway?

Be thankful those laws exist - it obviously keeps a lot of people away, which keeps Utah a great place to live.

How often does one ship wine anyway?
If you’re not visiting a local winery, I think the answer is most of the time. When i visited Napa, I had all my wine shipped. Really no other practical way to get 30+ bottles home on the airplane. 

Been brutal in NYC. Think we've had one day in the last two weeks that wasn't at least touching 90, and not only is that continuing the rest of the week but it's going to hit upper 90s towards the end of the week, through the weekend with heat index up to 110. 

I'm done with the summer and it's barely mid July. 

eoMMan said:

This is exactly why my wife and i want to move there. 

Oh Jesus, are we back in high school?  I have plenty of friends who drink and smoke pot. Jut not my cup of tea.
Lighten up Francis.  Before this thread, I had no idea who you were.  Between the snark on CO for having legalized weed and the myriad posts where you made it abundantly clear you don't care about wine or booze, I just made an observation about you.  Sorry it hurt your feelings.  As I said prior, everybody is different and that's ok. 

Lighten up Francis.  Before this thread, I had no idea who you were.  Between the snark on CO for having legalized weed and the myriad posts where you made it abundantly clear you don't care about wine or booze, I just made an observation about you.  Sorry it hurt your feelings.  As I said prior, everybody is different and that's ok. 
My feeling aren’t hurt. I’m really sorry I messed with Texas.  As I said, I’m glad people have different opinions, as it keeps the riff-raff out of God’s country in favor of hell on earth.

Yeah, but in So Cal very few. How many of us ever put on a repellent when going outside? Me - never. Most will light a candle on the patio. 

As for Mexican - I’m not even counting East LA and some of the places mentioned. Heck - we have a taco truck 5 blocks from us that makes the most killer al pastor around. Javier’s great scenery but overrated. For great food and the best concept I’ve seen we love Los Agaves. First one in Santa Barbara. Then came to our town. I’d love to take this place to every city in the country. 

https://los-agaves.com/
My favorite Mexican place here in town - the first time I went there I was like, "Where have you been all my life?"  So so good.  Sometimes I'll stop in just to get a bunch of their different salsas.  Yet another thing I love about living in Santa Barbara.  

Lived in Southern California since I was 6, and at times the BS (taxes, traffic, etc.) can really suck, but if you can make it work to live in a decent part of the state, it's got pretty much everything one could want at a high level, in my opinion.  If I couldn't live here, I could see myself in Oregon, Utah, or Colorado, given the climate and abundance of great outdoor activities there.  

Yeah, but in So Cal very few. How many of us ever put on a repellent when going outside? Me - never. Most will light a candle on the patio. 

As for Mexican - I’m not even counting East LA and some of the places mentioned. Heck - we have a taco truck 5 blocks from us that makes the most killer al pastor around. Javier’s great scenery but overrated. For great food and the best concept I’ve seen we love Los Agaves. First one in Santa Barbara. Then came to our town. I’d love to take this place to every city in the country. 

https://los-agaves.com/
I never miss a chance to eat there if I'm anywhere near Santa Barabara. It's so good.

If you’re not visiting a local winery, I think the answer is most of the time. When i visited Napa, I had all my wine shipped. Really no other practical way to get 30+ bottles home on the airplane. 
I did not realize this was a thing. I thought most people just bought it at the liquor/grocery store, or somewhere like Costco.

Users who are viewing this thread