What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Well THIS outta do it finally!!! (1 Viewer)

I guess any state can make up any reason they wish to require new things from Presidential candidates.   I wasn't aware states had the power to change the constitution like that. Who knew?

It is just primary versus general election.  So, if he wins the at the RNC National Convention, it does not matter; he will still appear on the ballot in November even if he does not release them.

A bit nervous about the precedent here though.

I didn't vote for Newsom. I don't like him. He always reminded me of Steve Lavin (former UCLA basketball coach.) I don't trust guys who slick their hair back. Newsom strikes me as sleazy and corrupt.

That being said, I've approved of most of his decisions since he's been governor. This is not one of them. I wouldn't mind seeing those taxes but it's not the business of California.

It kind of reminds me of a story from 2004 or so: one of my best friends worked in public health for the City of Santa Monica. She's a diehard leftist, and she always attended city council meetings. So she was there when there was this big debate because Santa Monica planned to indict George W Bush because of the Iraq War- there was a resolution charging him with treason. (It eventually passed.) My friend stood up at one point and said, "You know, I detest George W. Bush, but maybe we could talk about our drinking water problems? I mean what the hell are we doing??" I thought that was funny but I remember she was really pissed off. 

You seem to be missing what's important in all this. That the Treasury Department is defying the court order to turn them over.
No I'm really not.  Different thread.  The treasury department is a federal agency.  My post, if you read it, is about California law.  

So I'm not missing the point at all.  Are you Ok with states deciding what a President must comply with in order to be on the ballot?

No surprise here:

"President Donald Trump’s lawyers immediately signaled today they will challenge a California law requiring Trump to disclose his tax returns if he wants to appear on primary ballots in the state."

“The State of California’s attempt to circumvent the Constitution will be answered in court,” Trump attorney Jay Sekulow said in an emailed statement shortly after Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the bill into law.

No I'm really not.  Different thread.  The treasury department is a federal agency.  My post, if you read it, is about California law.  

So I'm not missing the point at all.  Are you Ok with states deciding what a President must comply with in order to be on the ballot?
Yeah, I did kinda veer off.

I'm ambivalent about any state election requirements which impose no undue or unfair hardship. So is there some kind of principle at stake here? 

A $5 million filing fee would be wrong to impose. Requiring all candidates to be able to ride unicycles in order to appear on the ballot would be wrong. Requiring a tax return might be wrong if the candidate was below the income filing line. But worded so that any legally filed tax returns be made public imposes no hardship nor imposes any unfair advantage on candidates for public office.

I'm sure the gang in the lawyer thread, among others, could rip this distinctly non-expert, opinion to shred in no time. Have at it.

Honestly there should be no law requiring tax returns for candidates. Candidates should provide them. If one refuses, and you're dumb enough to vote for that person, caveat emptor.

Trump shouldn’t even bother putting himself on the California ballot.  
California elected a Republican governor in 2003. If some of the prognosticators are correct, that California really is the face of the nation 15 years in advance, then things are looking grim nationally for the GOP in a very short while.

A $5 million filing fee would be wrong to impose. Requiring all candidates to be able to ride unicycles in order to appear on the ballot would be wrong. Requiring a tax return might be wrong if the candidate was below the income filing line. But worded so that any legally filed tax returns be made public imposes no hardship nor imposes any unfair advantage on candidates for public office.

I'm sure the gang in the lawyer thread, among others, could rip this distinctly non-expert, opinion to shred in no time. Have at it.
It is a state imposing requirements on a Presidential candidate beyond what the Constitution requires.  I don't think it is a given one way or the other.  Rich Hasen had an article on the topic a couple of years ago.

And you do realize the only reason California is doing this is because of the defiance of the Treasury.  Had they been turned over as they should have been the State wouldn’t have gotten involved.  

That headline is a bit misleading IMO. The article states that residents are considering leaving due to the high cost of living. Not that they actually WANT to leave.

Why do some areas cost so much to live in? Cuz so many people find it a desirable place to live.

Also, not sure what this has to do with the OP, obviously you're just trying to do some CA bashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That headline is a bit misleading IMO. The article states that residents are considering leaving due to the high cost of living. Not that they actually WANT to leave.

Why do some areas cost so much to live in? Cuz so many people find it a desirable place to live.

Also, not sure what this has to do with the OP, obviously you're just trying to do some CA bashing.
It's very difficult to bash California. This is a near perfect place to live.

Did I write anything that gave my opinion that bashed California?

Isn't McConnell's reason for blocking election security bills because it interferes with a process that should be left up to the States?

Did I write anything that gave my opinion that bashed California?
Sure. You were just providing information. Info that had absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread topic other then the name California. But sure.  👍.

I look forward to all your other stat posts links in all the other threads any time any other state is named.  I’m gonna learn a lot about the states!   

Sure. You were just providing information. Info that had absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread topic other then the name California. But sure.  👍.

I look forward to all your other stat posts links in all the other threads any time any other state is named.  I’m gonna learn a lot about the states!   
It was a post in response to a post about California. HTH

I guess any state can make up any reason they wish to require new things from Presidential candidates.   I wasn't aware states had the power to change the constitution like that. Who knew?
Show me the Constitutional provision they're changing.  Besides, Moscow Mitch says the reason he opposed the bill to stop Russian interference was because election rules are to be set by the states and the federal government shouldn't get involved. 

Users who are viewing this thread