What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Failure of Democracy? (1 Viewer)

I'd say the exact quote refers to a very real and important failure of our democratic republic.  

Clearly we can't point to 1,000 things and call them all failures, but I'm good with calling this one a failure.

“More than 80% of Americans want drug prices to be controlled. And the same number think that the drug companies are more interested in profits than they are in helping people. So the fact that legislation cannot get passed is a demonstration of the failure of our democracy to play the people’s will, to play a countervailing role against industry, which is in control here."

I'd say the exact quote refers to a very real and important failure of our democratic republic.  

Clearly we can't point to 1,000 things and call them all failures, but I'm good with calling this one a failure.

“More than 80% of Americans want drug prices to be controlled. And the same number think that the drug companies are more interested in profits than they are in helping people. So the fact that legislation cannot get passed is a demonstration of the failure of our democracy to play the people’s will, to play a countervailing role against industry, which is in control here."
It’s not passing because many of them own big pharm stock and others take contributions. They are just looking at their investments. 

It’s not passing because many of them own big pharm stock and others take contributions. They are just looking at their investments. 
what % of americans have big pharm stock?  you seem to be suggesting that the 80% described above is actually 45% who want pricing control and 35% who just say they do.  I can support such a theory, but I think its not driven by stock ownership and rather driven by basic attitudes about business and government.  more of us have swallowed the koolaid than we would like to admit.

what % of americans have big pharm stock?  you seem to be suggesting that the 80% described above is actually 45% who want pricing control and 35% who just say they do.  I can support such a theory, but I think its not driven by stock ownership and rather driven by basic attitudes about business and government.  more of us have swallowed the koolaid than we would like to admit.
I believe @FairWarning is talking about the politicians, not the general public. Maybe I misunderstood your reply though, I'm not feeling sharp this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there’s a distinction between a failure of democracy and the failure of democracy. Think of the phrase “market failure”. If a corporation can make lots of profits while shunting off the costs (pollution, etc) on to the rest of society, that’s a market failure that can be addressed by regulation. It doesn’t mean the entire free market is failing and needs to be scrapped. 

Similarly, if we accept the premise that Big Pharma’s money is what’s preventing us from addressing prescription drug costs, there are reforms that could address the problem. On the other hand, if we reach a point in this country where the 49% who lost the election refuse to accept that the 51% get to govern, that could actually represent the failure of democracy

Probably a lot do in various IRA’s.  I’m referring to influential people like our elected officials.  If Pfizer is donating big money to your campaign, you’re probably looking out for their interests some, agree?  

Probably a lot do in various IRA’s.  I’m referring to influential people like our elected officials.  If Pfizer is donating big money to your campaign, you’re probably looking out for their interests some, agree?  
Oh no doubt big pharma has half of washington in its pocket.  the democrats are owned by the lawyers and the republicans are owned by the doctors.

Oh no doubt big pharma has half of washington in its pocket.  the democrats are owned by the lawyers and the republicans are owned by the doctors.
THIS...is certainly a failure in elected representation. Lobbying in general ruins this imo. WE THE PEOPLE still have the opportunity to re-elect replacements...WE just collectively don't.

Users who are viewing this thread