What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asking The Commish To Input A Player Not Already In MFL Database (1 Viewer)

If The Commish Scooped Up A Player After I Asked To Have Him Placed In MFL Database, Then Is That Un

• Total voters

HairyGOATee

Footballguy
So in 2017, after my league's rookie draft, I scouted some undrafted players and came across Austin Ekeler's name. I watched some tape, checked out his combine stats, and read up on his progress with the Chargers and decided I'd take a flyer on him. But when I went to make a waiver claim, I saw that his name wasn't in MFL's database just yet. So I asked the Commish to put in a ticket so that I could pick up Ekeler.

The Commish did this and let me know when Ekeler was uploaded. Once that happened, I picked up Ekeler (STEAL). However, I want to know if it would have been unethical for him to pick up Ekeler after I made the request. He had never heard of Ekeler, so if he scooped him up, I would have been upset, but I also understand that by going to him with this problem, I had opened the door up to this possibility.

Thankfully he didn't scoop up Ekeler, but if he had, would it have been unethical or fair game?

It my leagues we have a rule that you can pick up/draft a player (a very minor player such as a 5th string CB) and then post on the message board "this player is a placeholder for  _________, who it not yet listed in the MFL database". once that player is added to the DB, he is changed out.

Sounds shady AF 
Yeah, but at the same time, I did kind of "assume the risk" by going to him. Thankfully he didn't do me dirty like that.

It my leagues we have a rule that you can pick up/draft a player (a very minor player such as a 5th string CB) and then post on the message board "this player is a placeholder for  _________, who it not yet listed in the MFL database". once that player is added to the DB, he is changed out.
That's something we've tried, but it's kinda hard to figure out, because we don't want it to be first come first serve. We actually want the weaker teams to benefit from the waiver system, so if two teams bid the same amount, then the weaker team gets the player.

Is there a way for a non-Commish to put in a ticket with MFL? That's probably something I should have looked into at the time, lol. I just honestly didn't know the process, so I figured it was best to ask the Commish since he has more experience with MFL than I do.

I don't think it would happen since you said you were going to sign him once he was added.  If the Commish didn't let you have him then I wouldn't be in that league anymore.....but why ask this two years later when it didn't happen?  Seems odd.

I don't think it would happen since you said you were going to sign him once he was added.  If the Commish didn't let you have him then I wouldn't be in that league anymore.....but why ask this two years later when it didn't happen?  Seems odd.
I legit have a sleeping disorder, so sometimes random thoughts like this from 2+ years ago pop into my head when I can't sleep.

Yeah, but at the same time, I did kind of "assume the risk" by going to him. Thankfully he didn't do me dirty like that.

That's something we've tried, but it's kinda hard to figure out, because we don't want it to be first come first serve. We actually want the weaker teams to benefit from the waiver system, so if two teams bid the same amount, then the weaker team gets the player.

Is there a way for a non-Commish to put in a ticket with MFL? That's probably something I should have looked into at the time, lol. I just honestly didn't know the process, so I figured it was best to ask the Commish since he has more experience with MFL than I do.

Anyone in the league can submit a ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not assuming any risk.  You are telling the commish you want player x that isn't listed.  The commish's job is to add players for that exact purpose.
That's a good argument. I like it. Fortunately enough, it worked out that way for me.

I was honestly skeptical because similar things had happened when I was talking about players with other owners in the league. Thankfully, the players that were picked up during those conversations didn't pan out. They were like Myles White, Darius Johson, and other players who didn't really make an impact.

But I understand that those are two different things. 1 is where I'm telling the Commish of all people that I want a player, but the other is where I'm just having a general conversation with someone and foolishly let him know that I'm intrigued by certain players.

Commish should not have an advantage over others simply due to his commish powers. 
Good way of looking at it. I could make the argument that he wouldn't know how much I was planning on bidding, but I think there is a way for the Commish to see such information if he truly wanted to go down that route. Not 100% sure though.

The process JoeSteeler laid out is your best course of action.

The problem with asking him to be added and then bid on him the next round of free agency is that he is fair game for all others to bid on as well.

A big part of dynasty success is finding relative unknown players before everyone else does.

By putting in a bid for another player who no one will want (yes, there lots of them in the MFL database, many whom are long retired), you get a crack at him much earlier and presumably much cheaper.

It should be written in your bylaws and communicated to the league.

Most players you "put in a ticket" on were going to be added eventually anyway and this normally occurs in the preseason when its not really important that they are added ASAP.

A post on the message board is a good way to track these things until the switch is made.

You are not assuming any risk.  You are telling the commish you want player x that isn't listed.  The commish's job is to add players for that exact purpose.
This exactly. 

If anything a new player added should be locked up on waivers, so anyone can either blind bid or use a priority to claim that player. 

The commish is also a league member &  can also place a claim in whatever manner your league settings allow. 

But that’s the commish as a manager.

As a commish, the job is to add the player to the pool in a manner that is fair to every league manager, including the commish.

The commish adding a player to the pool & immediately putting that player on their roster is shady AF no matter how you slice it. 

But doing it in response to a request from a league member to add that player? That’s both shady & underhanded. 

Boo on that commish. Boo, I say. 

I believe anyone can message MFL support and ask for a player to be added....pretty sure I've done it myself and I don't commish.

Users who are viewing this thread