What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

It was a good win but it was against the Bengals.  Hopefully a confidence builder for Rudolph.   A better test is coming next week against the Ravens

Some of you were predicting the Steelers would lose to the Bengals, but now that they've won, you want to discount the win?  Sure, it was against the Bengals, but it was a win - a decisive win.  They sacked Dalton eight times.  They forced turnovers.  They found ways to run they ball.  Mason Rudolph was efficient, if not stellar.  He showed his ability to escape and improvise on more than a couple of occasions.  The TD pass to Conner was not drawn up for him.  The TD pass to Dionte was maybe just a little overthrown, but a great read and a decent enough throw.  I'm finding it hard to come up with too many negatives about the game after the first quarter.  

Will they have to play better against the Ravens?  Absolutely.  Can they?  Seems possible.  And if they win and the Browns lose on MNF, they're tied for first in the division.  With an improving defense and offense, I'll take it.

I was dead tired last night, was snoozin, caught some of the game, missed some of it, caught more of it, missed another part.  You old guys know the drill.  That said, how did Vannett look?  I saw he had a couple catches, but how was his all around play, like blocking?

Some of you were predicting the Steelers would lose to the Bengals, but now that they've won, you want to discount the win?  Sure, it was against the Bengals, but it was a win - a decisive win.  They sacked Dalton eight times.  They forced turnovers.  They found ways to run they ball.  Mason Rudolph was efficient, if not stellar.  He showed his ability to escape and improvise on more than a couple of occasions.  The TD pass to Conner was not drawn up for him.  The TD pass to Dionte was maybe just a little overthrown, but a great read and a decent enough throw.  I'm finding it hard to come up with too many negatives about the game after the first quarter.  

Will they have to play better against the Ravens?  Absolutely.  Can they?  Seems possible.  And if they win and the Browns lose on MNF, they're tied for first in the division.  With an improving defense and offense, I'll take it.
like x1000!

was coming in to post something similar. The play calling was drastically improved, Rudolph had time ( or created time) and seem to go through his progressions, the defense was great. yes it was a win against a winless team but there was a lot to like and hopefully a lot they can build on. They really to to keep getting Samels involved as much as possible IMO.

We need to remember who we played. 

The oline needs to open up more holes and give the qb more time. Hopefully mason got some confidence. He missed open juju a few times in favor of short rb throws. 

The D is legit and I am hopeful the offense finds an identity using connor and samuels more together with the main wrs being juju, Washington, and johnson. Holton and Switz shouldn’t see the field at all once Vance is back ....

I was dead tired last night, was snoozin, caught some of the game, missed some of it, caught more of it, missed another part.  You old guys know the drill.  That said, how did Vannett look?  I saw he had a couple catches, but how was his all around play, like blocking?
I was at the game and didn't focus on him so it is tough for me to say.   One thing I did note is they were bringing OT Zach Banner in a lot as a TE to help run block.

He had a couple of catches as a safety valve and one very impressive catch to make a first down on a broken play.  I didn't notice much in the way of blocking, but I wasn't focusing on it, but definitely seems like an asset in the passing game.

He had a couple of catches as a safety valve and one very impressive catch to make a first down on a broken play.  I didn't notice much in the way of blocking, but I wasn't focusing on it, but definitely seems like an asset in the passing game.
I was trying to keep an eye out because I was skeptical of the trade. He had some nice plays when the play broke down and that's what we really need. It seemed almost like he was replacing Switzer's role out there in the passing game and seemed to do a lot better. I also saw him provide some key blocks but that was only on 2-3 plays so idk how he did the whole night. That one play where he made the catch on 1st or 2nd and 15 for the first down was clutch.

Overall, this game gave me hope. I'm not going to overreact to a possibly terrible Bengals win, but we beat a team we should beat and that's an improvement. The offense looked innovative, or at least different. The defense annihilated a crappy offensive line. And our QB didn't turn the ball over. Not too shabby.

Rudolph is still not progressing through his reads well enough for my liking, but I was happier with the check downs than with runs for 0 last week. There were a handful of plays where I could see Juju streaking across the middle of the field wide open, and instead Rudolph threw the 5 yard check down, instead of the 15+ yard gain. Hopefully they can look through the game tape, show him all of these missed opportunities, and start to take advantage in the coming weeks.

We're facing off with a pissed off group of Ravens next week. They lost a game to the Browns that might look close on paper, but was really a blowout. They're going to be angry and looking to dominate us. We need to come out next week and punch them in the mouth right from the get go. Lamar Jackson can't pass under pressure, and we need to keep the pedal to the metal all afternoon long. Their O-line isn't as good as recent years, and we need to dial up the pressure, while making sure he's can squeak out of the pocket for easy 8 yard gains. If he runs, we need to slam into him over and over. 

On offense, we need to exploit their secondary. It's been weak so far this year and gashed for huge plays. We need some more deep passes, preferably to Johnson and Juju instead of Holton. 

Overall, very happy with last night and I enjoyed it as much as possible because who knows how many wins we'll get this year. We beat up on a bad team, but that hasn't exactly been the norm in recent years, so I'm quite pleased. 

Also, the MNF crew is super lame. 

Woah, Ravens cut Tim Williams, OLB. I remember him being the bees knees when coming out of Bama. Wonder if another team gives him a flier. 

It's not gonna happen, but apparently Diggs wants out of Minnesota. If we're going full tilt, why not send a 2nd and 4th for Diggs. I know that our WRs are getting open, and that it's really a QB issue that they're not doing that great this year, but still, that would be a huge upgrade to the unit. And he's still young. 

It's not gonna happen, but apparently Diggs wants out of Minnesota. If we're going full tilt, why not send a 2nd and 4th for Diggs. I know that our WRs are getting open, and that it's really a QB issue that they're not doing that great this year, but still, that would be a huge upgrade to the unit. And he's still young. 
While Diggs would be an upgrade you've identified the issue is not with the receivers but with the QB and perhaps the scheme.   

by the way whoever is responsible for those stretcher carts or whatever they are called should be fired.  not only is it embarrassing as hell to lose power in the middle it is also extremely dangerous to the injured player.  Clearly he was in no shape to walk off the field 

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way whoever is responsible for those stretcher carts or whatever they are called should be fired.  not only is it embarrassing as hell to lose power in the middle it is also extremely dangerous to the injured player.  Clearly he was in no shape to walk off the field 
Shocked they don't have a some sort of backup cart

It was a woman driver she probably left it in gear 😂

This season is such a disaster.  And that first round pick for next year sure would have been nice.  Top 5 pick for sure now.  Juju with another critical fumble to lose a game.  

This season is such a disaster.  And that first round pick for next year sure would have been nice.  Top 5 pick for sure now.  Juju with another critical fumble to lose a game.  
No excuse for it, that is rookie BS getting the ball punched out. That's junior high level ineptitude. 

Can't blame Hodges for the loss.  Hell if JuJu would have held on they could be in Ravens territory.    Defense played pretty good as well causing a lot of mistakes from Jackson.  Just the little things like turnovers.

They had to win this in order to have a season but now we are in a serious purgatory of a season.  Too bad for a wild card with literally no benefits to being bad.

I thought Devlin looked pretty good actually.  They better not bring  in some recycled clown to play in front of him. Season is over, just let him play and let loose. What does it really matter at this point. 

I thought Devlin looked pretty good actually.  They better not bring  in some recycled clown to play in front of him. Season is over, just let him play and let loose. What does it really matter at this point. 
It doesn't matter at all because they have no first round pick for next year.  There is nothing to look forward to.  And I know it didn't make a difference but how the hell does Tomlin justify deferring in overtime?  I'm sure there will be convoluted rationale that he'll come up with to defend that decision but......Can he at least hire an analytics adviser to help him with some of these ridiculously trivial decisions?

JuJu is not a #1 WR. He is a solid #2, but not a #1.

If Washington is out, no way they cut Montcreif.

I still say they need to say eff it and sign Kaepernick. 

It doesn't matter at all because they have no first round pick for next year.  There is nothing to look forward to.  And I know it didn't make a difference but how the hell does Tomlin justify deferring in overtime?  I'm sure there will be convoluted rationale that he'll come up with to defend that decision but......Can he at least hire an analytics adviser to help him with some of these ridiculously trivial decisions?
Miami may have 2  of the top 4 picks.

No, there is no one they can hire. This buffoon cant get out of his own way. This has become the marvin lewis bengals. Tomlin style. 

JuJu is not a #1 WR. He is a solid #2, but not a #1.

If Washington is out, no way they cut Montcreif.

I still say they need to say eff it and sign Kaepernick. 
No no no no no. If they sign that piece of garbage,  I will never watch a steeler game again. He is terrible #1, and #2 people may burn that stadium down. 

No no no no no. If they sign that piece of garbage,  I will never watch a steeler game again. He is terrible #1, and #2 people may burn that stadium down. 
I don't buy it.. He is not Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, but he is better than Hodges and Lynch. 

In terms of people being mad, heard the same when they signed Vick. 

I didn’t understand it and still don’t now but it actually worked out.  You can say it was by sheer stupidity or luck but if JuJu doesn’t fumble the Steelers we’re driving for a potential win with a guy at QB that no one has ever heard about.

They also got hosed on a complete BS roughing the passer call.

Everyone will ##### about Tomlin but that team played its heart out.  Sometimes bad luck just kicks you in the rear. 

I didn’t understand it and still don’t now but it actually worked out.  You can say it was by sheer stupidity or luck but if JuJu doesn’t fumble the Steelers we’re driving for a potential win with a guy at QB that no one has ever heard about.

They also got hosed on a complete BS roughing the passer call.

Everyone will ##### about Tomlin but that team played its heart out.  Sometimes bad luck just kicks you in the rear. 
Deferring was definitely the right play years ago before they implemented the rule that if a team scores a TD on the first drive they win.  I can't think of too many scenarios where it makes sense in today's game.  Perhaps if they have an absolute dominant defense and an absolute woeful offense?  The D appears to be pretty good but I don't think we can call them great just yet.  The offense is probably pretty bad so I guess that's where Tomlin was coming from.  Would be curious to see if he is asked about that at the press conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
We now officially have the dumbest coach on NFL history.  I would donate a year's salary to help buy out his contract.   And there's no light at the end of the tunnel. This team is going to such for awhile. 

We now officially have the dumbest coach on NFL history.  I would donate a year's salary to help buy out his contract.   And there's no light at the end of the tunnel. This team is going to such for awhile. 
Love Tomlin or hate him this team is 3-2 at worst if Ben is the QB.   They will probably lose again next week but the main reason will be the QB, not the head coach 

Love Tomlin or hate him this team is 3-2 at worst if Ben is the QB.   They will probably lose again next week but the main reason will be the QB, not the head coach 
That's complete speculation.  No guarantee the Steelers beat the Hawks with Ben (in fact Mason played better that game).  Maybe they win against the Niners (only given the fact that the defense caused so many turnovers that game) but definitely no guarantee that they beat the Ravens with Ben at QB.  I know that this disaster is not completely at the hands of Tomlin (given the injuries and general bad luck) but he makes at least one decision almost every game where you're just thinking "huh?".  Whether it's the horrible challenges, not going for it in obvious situations (e.g. game 1 against Pats kicking FG from 1 yard line down 20-0) or today's ridiculous idea to defer in OT.  

With all of that said, today's loss wasn't on Tomlin.  This team apparently likes to turn the ball over at the worst possible time.  

Users who are viewing this thread