What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns road to the number 1 seed! (1 Viewer)

Utter Chaos

Footballguy
Remaining Games:
Cleveland (9-5) - @houston, NY Jets, @Cincinnati
Baltimore (11-3) - @San Francisco, Miami, Pittsburgh
Miami (10-4) - Dallas, @Baltimore, Buffalo
Kansas City (9-5) - Las Vegas, Cincinnati, @LA Chargers

First of all, the Browns would have to win all 3 of their games. Houston could be tough but if Stroud doesn't play it will be a whole lot easier. They should beat the Jets with no problem (but with Cleveland you never know). The Bengals game could go either way (especially if Cincinnati is fighting for a playoff spot) but the Browns have owned the Bengals the last couple of years. That puts the Browns at 12-5.

Baltimore would have to lose two for a tie. Let's say they lose to San Fran and Miami and beat Pittsburgh. The first three division tie breakers are head-to-head (both would be 1-1), division record (both would be 4-2), common opponents (both would be 9-3). The next tie breaker is conference record. Cleveland would be 9-3 and Baltimore 8-4 so Cleveland would win the division. A Baltimore loss to Pittsburgh would give Cleveland the better division record (4-2 vs 3-3).

The number one seed tie breaker is a) winning percentage, b) head-to-head, c) conference winning percentage, d) common opponent winning percentage, e) strength of victory.
A tie with Kansas City or a 3-way tie with Kansas City and Miami would give the number 1 seed to Kansas City based on conference winning percentage so Kansas City would need to lose a game.
A tie with Miami would give the number 1 seed to Cleveland based on conference winning percentage (provided they lose to Baltimore or Buffalo).

So basically, here is the scenario to give Cleveland the number one seed:
Cleveland finishes 12-5, Baltimore finishes 12-5, Miami finishes 12-5 (with a loss to Baltimore or Buffalo) or 11-6 (with a victory over Baltimore) and Kansas City finishes 11-6

I figure the odds of Cleveland winning all three at 40%, Baltimore losing two at 20%, Miami losing two at 60%, and Kansas City losing one at 10%.

Last edited:
As much fun as it is to hate the Browns, I find myself cheering for them with Flacco. (Helps of course that I’m starting him in SF)
And they don’t even have Chubb.

It would be absolutely fun to watch the browns win the AFC with Flacco. Then lose 10 games next year with Watson.

So basically 12 games have to break in their favor. Of those 12 they have control over 3.
Math was my worst subject in school so I'll leave the ciphering to Jethro Bowdine(google him kids)
But as a football fan with relatives in Cleveland...I'M IN!

Dallas and San Francisco did not do Cleveland any favors.
Here's the update.

Remaining Games:
Cleveland (10-5, div 3-2, conf 7-3) - NY Jets, @Cincinnati
Baltimore (12-3, div 3-2, conf 7-3) - Miami, Pittsburgh
Miami (11-4, conf 7-3) - @Baltimore, Buffalo

To win the division, Cleveland would have to beat the Jets and the Bengals and Baltimore would need to lose to Miami and Pittsburgh. That would give the Browns a 9-3 conference record and 4-2 division record while the Ravens division record would be 3-3.
In addition, to get the number one seed, Buffalo would need to be Miami leaving the Dolphins with an 8-4 conference record.

My updated odds: Cleveland winning both games - 60%, Baltimore losing both games 5%, and Miami losing two to Buffalo - 40%

So the Browns have a chance to finish with the 2nd best record in the entire AFC and still have to play a road game in the 1st round yep that sucks.

Baltimore had to lose to SF for Browns to have any shot at winning the division. Baltimore isn't losing to Pittsburgh at home.

Cleveland has had a great season but that loss at Pitt and the loss at Sea when they had a shot to win those games and their offense blew it turning the ball over in 4th setting up the go ahead TD's will cost them their shot at their 1st division title since 1989.

So the Browns have a chance to finish with the 2nd best record in the entire AFC and still have to play a road game in the 1st round yep that sucks.

Baltimore had to lose to SF for Browns to have any shot at winning the division. Baltimore isn't losing to Pittsburgh at home.

Cleveland has had a great season but that loss at Pitt and the loss at Sea when they had a shot to win those games and their offense blew it turning the ball over in 4th setting up the go ahead TD's will cost them their shot at their 1st division title since 1989.
Getting the #1 seed is not easy. Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland fans all recognize this.

Users who are viewing this thread