What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where should I move to? (1 Viewer)

Which city should I pick?

• Tucson, AZ

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Tallahassee, FL

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Norman, OK

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Ann Arbor,MI

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • Omaha, NE

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Columbia,MO

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
What's the cost of living in Ann Arbor?  I would think it would be at or near the top of these choices as highest.
Housing is expensive. If that isn't a problem then while the rest of it is probably more expensive than the others on the list it isn't ridiculous. I also come back to OP coming from NE. I'm sure there's some pockets of areas that are more affordable, but my experience with NE is it's expensive (correct me if I'm wrong). So, sell current home, can easily afford something in Ann Arbor, and should relocation occur again resale in that town is not an issue.

I’ve got job offers in each place to take an academic library job starting in October. Which college town would you suggest is the most ideal? I’ve never lived outside of New England before. I don’t mind the heat.  Walk ability and cost of living is my top priorities.

love food, music and football.
Because of the bolded, I chose Oklahoma.  Football is an added bonus.  Food and music not so much but OK wins based on your top priorities.

Keith R said:
Because of the bolded, I chose Oklahoma.  Football is an added bonus.  Food and music not so much but OK wins based on your top priorities.
same here.... ann arbor seemed like the safe choice but cost of living in oklahoma is crazy good and as much as i despise the sooners, gotta love that football atmosphere

I have family living in Omaha. Nice weather. Winters are mild with little to no snow accumulation. Summers can get brutally hot. Quite a bit to do. No NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL team though.
Wait, what?

No NCAA football either, but Lincoln isn't far.

ETA:  I work in Omaha and not sure I would choose it over any of the others listed.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're single, definitely Tuscon.  Cant go wrong with Ann Arbor though.

same here.... ann arbor seemed like the safe choice but cost of living in oklahoma is crazy good and as much as i despise the sooners, gotta love that football atmosphere
Screw living in that heat, I'd rather put up with the longer winter in MI than deal with a summer in OK. The one plus for FL is no state taxes, MI is pretty low as well.

Actually from the list Columbia MO isn't so bad - 90 min or so to watch Cardinal baseball. SEC Football - although it's the SEC East. But you should look just to the south at the Lake of the Ozarks - a really cool lake only an hour or so away. Get a cheap place in Columbia and a place on the lake for the weekends. Awesome boating lake.

No way, man.  I've watched "Ozark" and I'm never going there...

I'll be the dissenting opinion here.  I work in Ann Arbor and hate it.  The people.  The congestion.  Cost of living is NOT cheap (unless you live in Ypsi, which is pretty much a ghetto).  And as a "college town" I've been to several better (have not been to any of the others on your list though).

That being said... it obviously resonates with certain personalities/lifestyles.  I'm happy to discuss with you... and if you fall into that category, I'd be the first to recommend.  It's just NOT me.

Ypsi, which is pretty much a ghetto
I haven't been to Ypsi in a long time and doubt I'll ever go again, but that was my experience. I never got a good vibe in that town and whenever we visited friends at Eastern we always ended up on the other side of 23 hanging out with UM friends. I've always been curious how the other towns around there are, but since walk-ability mattered to the OP I didn't bring it up here initially.

I'll be the dissenting opinion here.  I work in Ann Arbor and hate it.  The people.  The congestion.  Cost of living is NOT cheap (unless you live in Ypsi, which is pretty much a ghetto).  And as a "college town" I've been to several better (have not been to any of the others on your list though).

That being said... it obviously resonates with certain personalities/lifestyles.  I'm happy to discuss with you... and if you fall into that category, I'd be the first to recommend.  It's just NOT me.

I'm curious to learn more about what you hate about it because its not an opinion I hear very often. What do you hate about the people? And what are the certain "personalities/lifestyles" that you think it appeals too?

Finally - does the fact that the University of Michigan specifically is there influence your opinion?

Wait, what?

ETA:  I work in Omaha and not sure I would choose it over any of the others listed.  
:goodposting:

I've lived in Omaha for 50 years.

I chose Tallahassee. Not that I like Florida as a whole. (old boss always said that Florida is like the low point in an old basement, all the waste collects there). As a college town, I would think the coeds are top notch. You're not far from the beech and it doesn't snow. 

I'd figure out the rest as I went along.

I chose Tallahassee. Not that I like Florida as a whole. (old boss always said that Florida is like the low point in an old basement, all the waste collects there). As a college town, I would think the coeds are top notch. You're not far from the beech and it doesn't snow. 

Florida as a hole is fine.  But Tallahassee is a long way from the beach, about 1.5 hours, which is about as far from a beach as you can get in Florida.

I'd go with Tucson or Oklahoma.  Love AZ and would move there in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.  As others have said, OK would be pretty good too with the football atmosphere and mild winters.  

I'm curious to learn more about what you hate about it because its not an opinion I hear very often. What do you hate about the people? And what are the certain "personalities/lifestyles" that you think it appeals too?

Finally - does the fact that the University of Michigan specifically is there influence your opinion?
People: Liberal, earthy, oblivious to others, arrogant.  I think it appeals to people who have those qualities - especially the first two.

UofM being there might influence my opinion... primarily because most students I encounter fit right in.

My son spending way too much time at the hospital there and having to deal with those personalities over the last two years definitely influences my opinion.

Regardless of my opinion of UofM, it’s hard for me to deal with most people in AA and I’m exposed to them on a daily basis.

Some good restaurants though! 😄

I shouldn't put down Omaha too much, just never heard the winters referred to as "mild".  I guess compared to Fargo, Minneapolis or Buffalo.  :shrug:   Not sure I would consider Omaha "walkable" either unless you live near the Old Market or something.   It does have some good things going for it.

I voted Tuscon.  

What's the cost of living in Ann Arbor?  I would think it would be at or near the top of these choices as highest.
It's not terrible, maybe a little higher than your basic college town.  A2 does little for me, personally like East Lansing better.  A2 is basically a Detroit suburb and only 30 min from Windsor.  

Like Keerock said, it helps if you are a hardcore liberal in A2.

It's not terrible, maybe a little higher than your basic college town.  A2 does little for me, personally like East Lansing better.  A2 is basically a Detroit suburb and only 30 min from Windsor.  
It’s actually pretty high... primarily due to housing costs

It’s actually pretty high... primarily due to housing costs
Anywhere other than east of A2 is pretty cheap still.  I was thinking like Whitmore Lake or Dexter.  Ypsi is probably pretty pricy with Eastern there.  Heck, its been a couple of years since I've been on that side of the state.

Wait, what?

I haven't spent a lot of time there in the winter, but I'm told it's unusual to see a lot of snow accumulation as even in the coldest months it is near or above freezing. So you don't see a lot of accumulation unless there is a cold spell including above average snowfall. Although this is coming from someone who lived in Minnesota previously.

Lived in Ann Arbor for a couple years. As others have said, it’s a decent college town, but the weather is horrendous. And the cost of living ain’t great for the Midwest.  But no worse than New England on either count, I suppose. 

I’d pick Tucson, but I enjoy outdoor activity over the stuff you listed. 

He also has lived in New England his whole life. If you can't deal with winter then you don't live up here. Not complicated. A lot of great things about living up here as long as you can deal with those couple months. 
It’s not a couple months. AA is either cold or dreary ~6 months out of the year.

Lived in Ann Arbor for a couple years. As others have said, it’s a decent college town, but the weather is horrendous. And the cost of living ain’t great for the Midwest.  But no worse than New England on either count, I suppose. 

I’d pick Tucson, but I enjoy outdoor activity over the stuff you listed. 
Funny- my sister did her undergrad at Michigan and Masters at Arizona. She has the completely opposite opinion of you. She thought the weather in Tuscon was disgusting making it difficult to do things outdoors. 

Funny- my sister did her undergrad at Michigan and Masters at Arizona. She has the completely opposite opinion of you. She thought the weather in Tuscon was disgusting making it difficult to do things outdoors. 
Yep. I'm not into it, but if you're the skiing type then even at winter's worst (Christmas-V Day) you can still get outdoors in Michigan. I'm normalized by now, but very little before Christmas and after V-Day keeps me indoors.

What can you do outdoors in southern Arizona between June and September besides swim and drive to northern Arizona?

Ann Harbor as you can see is the top choice. However, I can only tell you about my own opinion and what I would do. Like you, I live in NE (MA to be exact) and if I ever move, I can tell you that it will be for a warmer climate. I don't know how much weather is a factor for you but Ann Harbor is in Michigan and if you have ever been in Michigan during the winter, it just plain sucks. If weather is not a factor, then yeah, it's the obvious choice and I would say it's not even close with the other choices you have. Me personally, I'm sick and tired of the long and cold winters so I wouldn't move to Michigan....but hey, that's just me....

Ilov80s said:
She must not have made it to Mount Lemmon, which is just outside the city and 20-30 degrees cooler than Tucson depending on the elevation.

MAC_32 said:
Yep. I'm not into it, but if you're the skiing type then even at winter's worst (Christmas-V Day) you can still get outdoors in Michigan. I'm normalized by now, but very little before Christmas and after V-Day keeps me indoors.

What can you do outdoors in southern Arizona between June and September besides swim and drive to northern Arizona?
I love skiing and used to ice climb every winter. The thing that killed me about living in the Midwest was there were no decent mountains on which to enjoy the snow. The best is Boyce IIRC, which requires a 3+ hour drive for mediocre snow and terrain.

As above, hiking, biking and rock climbing is an option at Mount Lemmon, with elevation to offset the oppressive heat in town. There’s also some canyoneering and a lake nearby if your into water activity.

What do you like doing outdoors in and around AA?

I’ll sure she went to that Mt Lemmon before but she’s not going there everytime she wants to go for a walk or have a drink outside. 

What do you like doing outdoors in and around AA?
I don't live around Ann Arbor, but I grew up an hour away. I live outside Cleveland though. And most would argue our winter is worse. I'm outside a minimum one hour per day about 350 days/year. I'm a recreational runner and part time weight lifter that loathes the dreadmill.  And when my free time is greater (summer) I'm outside substantially longer.

It's August 23 and it's currently a sunny 71 with a 50 dewpoint (49% humidity). I'm gonna go lift over lunch then take a short stroll with my extra time. After work I'm going out to my son's cross country practice in a local metropark and run with the team as they prepare for a meet tomorrow when we'll be outside for 3-4 hours. Then I'm gonna meet the rest of the family for dinner and watch a free pearl jam tribute fan show at an ampitheater in a city park until one of our small humans hit a wall. Then after we have everyone in bed I'll walk to the bar a block away and sit on the patio for a couple drinks with whoever shows up tonight, talk Browns, then eventually turn in. Whereas it's not even 10 am in Tucson and it's already 90 - supposed to be 104 later. The thought of spending 6 hours outside in those conditions makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

As I said before, if you can't deal with winter then you don't live up here. If you can I'd rather take the good up here vs. the good down there.

I don't live around Ann Arbor, but I grew up an hour away. I live outside Cleveland though. And most would argue our winter is worse. I'm outside a minimum one hour per day about 350 days/year. I'm a recreational runner and part time weight lifter that loathes the dreadmill.  And when my free time is greater (summer) I'm outside substantially longer.

It's August 23 and it's currently a sunny 71 with a 50 dewpoint (49% humidity). I'm gonna go lift over lunch then take a short stroll with my extra time. After work I'm going out to my son's cross country practice in a local metropark and run with the team as they prepare for a meet tomorrow when we'll be outside for 3-4 hours. Then I'm gonna meet the rest of the family for dinner and watch a free pearl jam tribute fan show at an ampitheater in a city park until one of our small humans hit a wall. Then after we have everyone in bed I'll walk to the bar a block away and sit on the patio for a couple drinks with whoever shows up tonight, talk Browns, then eventually turn in. Whereas it's not even 10 am in Tucson and it's already 90 - supposed to be 104 later. The thought of spending 6 hours outside in those conditions makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

As I said before, if you can't deal with winter then you don't live up here. If you can I'd rather take the good up here vs. the good down there.
I live like 20 minutes from AA and subtract the kids, replace running with walking/hiking and that describes me pretty well and our weather as well. I am currently lounging on back patio soaking in this perfect weather and getting ready to grill some fish for lunch. 

So much for the pole.  How does Madison compare to Ann Arbor?  fairly similar?  

Good choice you'll love Madison.  Great town weather is brutal from late November to early March.  But summer and fall are fantastic here. 

I ended up choosing Madison,Wi because of the friendly public transportation offered to WI students.
LOL at the multiple choices, glad everyone weighed in here.  From the original list, I would have said Ann Arbor and Tuscon as the only possible second choice.  

From what I know of Madison, that sounds like a good pick too.   

Users who are viewing this thread