What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ken Burns' Country Music (1 Viewer)

wikkidpissah

Footballguy
As usual, this is just about as good as television gets. Don't all that much care for country music, my antipathy for all things southern is fairly known and it all jusplain don't matter. The struggle of simple people to make sum'n sweet in their lives and what those who have success with it do when their dreams come true is the very heart of storytelling. For those watching on TV, first ep was the roots, of course, and Jimmie Rodgers & the Carter Family; last nite was Roy Acuff, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe & Gene Autry etc; tonite is Hank Williams. I hear all eps are streaming as well. wikkid say y'all check it, now, y'hear?

ETA: 8 eps Sun-Weds primetime the next two weeks on PBS

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks great. I'd heard this was coming on, but didn't have a concrete time or date. I'd like to watch it. I went through a pretty big country phase in my twenties thanks to, of course, Johnny Cash. Found some great artists that way. Lots of tweed involved. 

Watched ep.2 and am part way through catching up on ep.1. 

Based on Burns' previous series on Jazz and Baseball, I think he does best tracing origins in the distant past.  His broad survey approach suffers a bit after the subject expands in multiple directions.  Because of this, I prefer his more narrowly focused documentaries like Vietnam, The Civil War and Prohibition.

Recording, haven't watched yet but am really looking forward to it. 

Even if I still didn't like the music this seems like it would be worth watching.

I distinctly remember disliking most country music when it started getting big in Detroit. Maybe it's just the decade we've spent in Tennessee and Alabama now, but we're fans. 

...as he finished the last song, "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive," Chet Atkins remembered thinking, "Hoss, you ain't jivin'" - On Hank Williams from the show.

Whoa. That's the blues, huh? 

I am recording this, but did watch the first episode.  I will be all in.  May get caught up next week when i travel for work.

Have they covered the Bakersfield Sound yet?
Not yet but I'm sure it will.  Burns always plays up the nationwide aspect of his subjects.

I'm not complaining.  The material about the West Coast sounds of Maddox Brothers and Rose has been interesting.

Ep. 3 was really great.  Structuring it around the rise and fall of Hank Williams was a good call.

Leroy Hoard said:
I can't wait until they show the young Marty Stuart. Check out the death stare of the older, portly violinist after Marty shreds the stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omEiAbcPslU
My history in the showbiz tells me that most guys who are as immaculate as Marty Stuart (and a prodigy to boot) got a big case of anal retentive to go with it, but he used to play the Albq Balloon Fiesta regularly and one of the event guys told me he wished every entertainer, in fact every goldanged person, was as pleasant, generous and cooperative as li'l Marty was.

Eephus said:
Ep. 3 was really great.  Structuring it around the rise and fall of Hank Williams was a good call.
Have not watched yet, but I am filled with anticipation based upon comments like these in this thread.  Gonna wait until I have some undivided attention.

Leroy Hoard said:
I can't wait until they show the young Marty Stuart. Check out the death stare of the older, portly violinist after Marty shreds the stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omEiAbcPslU
That's Paul Warren, a bluegrass fiddle legend who played in Flatt/Scruggs' Foggy Mountain Boys among numerous other projects.  His son (Johnny Warren) plays his dad's old fiddle for Jerry Douglas' all-star Flatt/Scruggs cover band, the Earls of Leicester. Johnny's one of the best I've ever seen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Never been a huge country guy, but Burns may be among the few that can turn me around.

Thanks for the heads up.

Never been a huge country guy, but Burns may be among the few that can turn me around.
With his Jazz series, i was a little put off that the 1960s got short shrift and the years beyond that got almost nothing, but i understand that figuring out how jazz died was above Mr Burns' pay grade. With this show, i'm glad the timeline is purported to end @ 1996, cuz we all know where country music went from there - a murky corporate quagmire of processed meats and motives. 

Giants last night. Cash, Nelson, Merle, Kristofferson. Great episode 
Uncomfortable ep to watch with me 94yo Da as it revisited the time we became enemies, but it came together at the end with Will the Circle Be Unbroken - probably the most ubiquitous album in hippie record collections, even more than any Beatles, Stones or Zep record. We wouldn'ta known who Roy Acuff or Maybelle Carter was without that album. And Vassar Clements - not a giant, but what a player. The exposure that WtCBU gave them caused he & Doc Watson to get invited to some rock festivals and, for some reason, Vassar (who looked like the manager of a lumber yard) just loved being the sorbet between Boz Scaggs and Thin Lizzy at these things. Brought the house down every time...

absolutely tremendous,  I was never able to finish because it was so overwhelmingly immersive and depressing in the totality of what we know about that arc.

This is just such a great thing to watch and follow, I know good patches of the history covered but there is so much i'm learning, its a real joy

Uncomfortable ep to watch with me 94yo Da as it revisited the time we became enemies, but it came together at the end with Will the Circle Be Unbroken - probably the most ubiquitous album in hippie record collections, even more than any Beatles, Stones or Zep record. We wouldn'ta known who Roy Acuff or Maybelle Carter was without that album. And Vassar Clements - not a giant, but what a player. The exposure that WtCBU gave them caused he & Doc Watson to get invited to some rock festivals and, for some reason, Vassar (who looked like the manager of a lumber yard) just loved being the sorbet between Boz Scaggs and Thin Lizzy at these things. Brought the house down every time...
Vassar's big turn was with Old & In The Way - another record nearly every hippie has in their collection. After that he had pretty much Carte Blanche on where and when to appear.

One of the great shows I've seen at Red Rocks was the Dirt Band with Doc and Merle, Commander Cody, Bonnie Raitt - trying to remember who else was on that. Later years had Steve Goodman,  David Bromberg as I recall. 

Just caught episode 8.  I find it fascinating that one guy, ( Garth Brooks ) could have such a profound affect on country music as a whole. It seems he was Tiger Woods like in how he elevated the popularity of country music.

Users who are viewing this thread