What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (5 Viewers)

He spent one year as a senior adviser, not "a few years".  Regardless it isn't worth arguing over.  He definitely wasn't single-handedly propping them up.
True, he wasn't. Still, Detroit has a pretty massive hill to climb to even be in a playoff conversation anytime soon.

Any Kings fans in here who can tell me how to feel about Campbell?

Clifford I know and like -- real gud pro and Ayr, Ontario boy with 2-way skills, a bunch of grit, and solid postseason experience. That the Kings are retaining half his salary is nice. The fact that we finally have a guy who will be happy dropping the gloves is nicer.

Campbell has always struck me as ok -- he was dynamite in the 2010 World Juniors, but as a pro his GAA and SV% aren't stellar. Guess he's a better backup than Hutchinson in terms of stats, but not sure by how much.

I'll miss Moore -- always played the puck hard and has good creative stickhandling. He's young, and we'll miss his bucket in Toronto. But I guess he would have been gone in the expansion so I'm glad we were able to shore up some positions of need.

@billmeltzer: Flyers are 5-1-2 vs teams with top 4 records in NHL (WSH, BOS, STL & PIT). Own two victories over CBJ and CAR and a win apiece vs COL and VAN (Pacific leaders). Simultaneously, the Flyers have suffered five regulation losses against the bottom eight teams in the NHL.

@davegisaac: Alain Vigneault on what was wrong with the power play “I should have declined. After the first one I should have learned my lesson and I didn’t. Should have declined.”

Welcome to the NHL Mr. Bellows.

Just what the Isles needed - a shooting winger. Look forward to seeing him playing with Barzal.

wow. Granted they're 30+ years apart, but odds your fiancee and your sister both die in separate car crashes?

@billmeltzer: Awful news: Kerstin Pietzsch-Somnell's sister, Jeanette, was killed in an automobile accident on Grand Canary Island. Kerstin was Pelle Lindbergh's fiancee. Sincerest condolences to the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Colorado can do it, so can they.
I'm not saying it won't happen, but they're *checks notes* 13 points behind the next worst team overall, and 17 behind the next worst just in their division. Their goal differential is hovering around -100, and nobody else is even close to half of that. They're beyond bad. Yzerman has a Herculean task ahead of himself.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but they're *checks notes* 13 points behind the next worst team overall, and 17 behind the next worst just in their division. Their goal differential is hovering around -100, and nobody else is even close to half of that. They're beyond bad. Yzerman has a Herculean task ahead of himself.
Uh, avalanche had 48 total points in 2016.  Detroit has 30 right now.  Sakic did set the bar high....again.

Well, at least the Wings kept Boston from gaining separation from Tampa, so they're at least good for playing spoiler.

Any Kings fans in here who can tell me how to feel about Campbell?

Clifford I know and like -- real gud pro and Ayr, Ontario boy with 2-way skills, a bunch of grit, and solid postseason experience. That the Kings are retaining half his salary is nice. The fact that we finally have a guy who will be happy dropping the gloves is nicer.

Campbell has always struck me as ok -- he was dynamite in the 2010 World Juniors, but as a pro his GAA and SV% aren't stellar. Guess he's a better backup than Hutchinson in terms of stats, but not sure by how much.

I'll miss Moore -- always played the puck hard and has good creative stickhandling. He's young, and we'll miss his bucket in Toronto. But I guess he would have been gone in the expansion so I'm glad we were able to shore up some positions of need.
Campbell has played well this year even with the crap defense the Kings put out in front of him.  Per the stats he was outplaying Quick but that wasn't really the case.  Kings games have been very odd in that they haven't been giving up a lot of shots when Quick is in net but the shots they do give up are grade A scoring chances where the goalie has no shot at making the save unless he is standing on his head (which Quick still does at times). 

As far as Campbell the Kings defense seemed to do a bit better on the grade A chances when he was in net and he played solidly.  He isn't going to win you any games by standing on his head but he will make the saves he is supposed to make and every once in a while one he isn't supposed to make.  I am happy for him he gets a chance to play in some meaningful games as he has deserved the chance.  I think he will help you down the stretch. 

ETA:  A quick story on Clifford.  We had the chance to watch pre-game from the penalty box a couple times.  One of the times my son (about 9 yrs old at the time) was watching intently with his face close to the glass.  Clifford saw him and lifted a puck at the glass in his general area.  It scared the crap out of my son and then he started laughing.  Clifford started laughing at his reaction and came over and gave him the puck he shot at the glass.  The puck ended up having a chunk out of it so it was easy to tell which puck it was.  Later that year we were at a Kings pregame skate at their training facility.  My son brought the puck and we were lucky enough to see Clifford after practice.  He stopped for a picture and to sign the puck.  He is a great guy. 

Defensemen in the news

@EdmontonOilers: The #Oilers have signed defenceman Darnell Nurse to a two-year contract extension! #LetsGoOilers https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1226932593431461888/photo/1

@Real_RobRossi: John Marino saw Penguins doctors Monday AM and will have surgery this afternoon. No time table for return. Per Mike Sullivan. #Pens @TheAthleticPGH

@NHLdotcom: Seth Jones is out indefinitely for the Blue Jackets after he was placed on injured reserve Monday with an ankle injury https://www.nhl.com/news/seth-jones-out-indefinitely-for-columbus-with-ankle-injury/c-314867082

@OddsShark: Odds to win the NHL's Vezina Trophy as the top goaltender:

Hellebuyck +300
Rask +400
Bishop +450
Vasilevskiy +600
Binnington +600
Jarry +600
Markstrom +700
Andersen +800

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/odds-win-nhl-vezina-trophy
Vasilevskiy has really turned it on. He's got points in 18 starts in a row, he's sitting at 16-0-2 in that stretch.

I didn't think he could repeat, but it's not unfathomable at this point.

Penguins push all their chips into the middle

@TSNBobMcKenzie: MIN trades Jason Zucker to PIT for Galchenyuk, 2020 first-round pick and Calen Addison.

KHL next year?
Was just joking with my son that the #1 and #3 from that draft year - who played together in jr - could be playing together again in the K. 

I'm actually not sure where Yakupov is playing. 

Side note..  what a brutal draft that was. 

Trade makes sense for both teams. Penguins going for it in Sid - Geno window. Price seems steep but you figure a first for 3 years of Zucker and a prospect to take the Russians contract for the rest of year.

Pens still have cap  room for depth defenseman but no 1st or second and prospect cupboard is looking bare.

Penguins push all their chips into the middle

@TSNBobMcKenzie: MIN trades Jason Zucker to PIT for Galchenyuk, 2020 first-round pick and Calen Addison.
Seems like a decent haul for the wild.   Zucker has always been so hot and cold,  (ice cold lately), that said he’s a good player and has a few years left on his deal.  I hope he does well in pit.  
I like the Addison upside and the expiring contract the wild got back.  (Not to mention the pick).  

Seems like a decent haul for the wild.   Zucker has always been so hot and cold,  (ice cold lately), that said he’s a good player and has a few years left on his deal.  I hope he does well in pit.  
I like the Addison upside and the expiring contract the wild got back.  (Not to mention the pick).  
Had to make room for Kaprizov too.

Don't see how anyone can say it's a steep price for Pittsburgh though? A late first? Who cares?

ETA: I guess I didn't realize Addison was so highly thought of. And a right-shot to boot? The Wild have died and gone to heaven.

I would say that also means Dumba or Brodin will be traded at some point too.

I thought Guerin did fantastic here. Fenton was going to move Zucker for Frolik’s corpse and 1st.  supposed to be a good draft so more ammo the better and Addison is one of the best offensive D prospects out there.  roll the dice with a buy low on Galchenyuk who actually has a higher career PPG than Zucker playing in the league since a teenager.  not sure if they try to force him into a center role like Montreal did (and didn’t work) because they have a million wingers and very thin at center.  Zucker has a nice contract and is a decent player but I’ll take that return.

Had to make room for Kaprizov too.

Don't see how anyone can say it's a steep price for Pittsburgh though? A late first? Who cares? 
In a vacuum it might not seem steep but those were their top two trade chips.

They already had no 2nd this year. Scott Wheeler of The Athletic ranked the prospect pools across the league. Pens were 28th and Addison was their #1 prospect.  After that it was three 19 yr old middle six forwards (two in Juniors, 1 in Sweden). 

will be interesting to see if Zucker finds chemistry with Sid, his best year when he hit 30 was skating all year with Granlund feeding him.  could be dangerous.  really good skater, uses his speed well, shoot first player and a decent shot, but just okay hands and pretty frustrating on the finish for how many chances he gets and generates.  bargain at $5.5 mil though.

Users who are viewing this thread