What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (5 Viewers)

I don't understand why pro sports aren't just postponing the season or playing in front of empty stadia.

Playing in front of empty crowds allows the leagues and players to still benefit (broadcast revenue) and at least gives fans something to take the mind off of global pandemics -- may even further encourage staying home for the 3 hour of game time.

Postponing seasons at least creates prevention of a lost season. 

There is greater risk to players, given travel, exposure to others, etc. But teams stay fairly secluded -- they normally travel privately, have their own facilities that are mostly closed to the outside, etc. They are fairly sheltered already and have mechanisms and infrastructure in place that help keep them that way. 

Leagues should mandate testing for everyone, remove any positives, and play on. It's not foolproof, but it sure would help fans in their already super-disrupted lives have some degree of normalcy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bruins are officially the only team in the NHL to not announce a plan to pay concessions workers & other arena staff. Jacobs is worth $3.6 billion and  made his money via concessions. Swell guy

The Bruins are officially the only team in the NHL to not announce a plan to pay concessions workers & other arena staff. Jacobs is worth $3.6 billion and  made his money via concessions. Swell guy
Sabres not looking so good either. Said they will pay the staff if the games wind up getting canceled rather than just postponed.

Sabres not looking so good either. Said they will pay the staff if the games wind up getting canceled rather than just postponed.

who would have thought Melnyk would be one of the owners stepping up big.  must have been a hell of a pitch by his PR guy.

Of course it's the Senators that get covid-19... One player confirmed, rumours of more with symptoms.

https://theathletic.com/1683491/2020/03/18/senators-player-becomes-first-nhler-to-test-positive-for-covid-19/ Article is supposed to be free, but it's not right now, so...

Hockey has its first case of COVID-19. And it likely came by way of the NBA.

An unnamed Ottawa Senators player tested positive for the virus, the team said in a release late Tuesday night. That player is experiencing mild symptoms and is now in isolation.

It is believed that multiple Senators players are ill and awaiting test results to determine how many been infected.

The team recently completed a trip through California before the NHL shutdown play last Thursday afternoon. The organization suspects that the infection occurred when the Senators used the same Staples Center dressing room as the Brooklyn Nets — the NBA team that has now had four positive COVID-19 tests — the day after they played the Lakers in Los Angeles.

That Senators-Kings game was the last NHL game played before the shutdown went into effect.

Every member of the Senators is now in isolation “to monitor their health and seek advice from team medical staff,” according to the team’s release.

The NHL put its season on pause last week amid concern over the spread of the pandemic. The decision came one day after the NBA suspended its season after Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert tested positive for the virus.

“Following last night’s news that an NBA player has tested positive for coronavirus — and given that our leagues share so many facilities and locker rooms and it now seems likely that some member of the NHL community would test positive at some point — it is no longer appropriate to try to continue to play games at this time,” the NHL’s statement read.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Nets announced that four players — including NBA all-star Kevin Durant — have tested positive for COVID-19.

NBCSN is replaying Game 7 Overtime Thrillers all day.

Rangers/Caps 2015 right now.

Looks like they will be showing games all week, different themes.

NEWS: Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli today informed part-time employees of their sports and event management companies that all 2,100 staff members will be paid for current or future rescheduled, postponed or canceled events through June 30.

What does a sports writer write about when there are no sports?

@Bfarrell727: I finally had an excuse to write about hockey, so I did. Featuring my love of the San Jose Sharks, how a kid from Florida ended up being a fan of a team in northern California, how briefly Martin St. Louis was my nemesis and how Joe Pavelski, like Captain America, saved the day. https://twitter.com/alligatorSports/status/1245785058390269952

Geez, I really had to dig for this thread.

The Blues are going to lose one of their best seasons in their history. At least they won last year or I’d be pretty depressed about that.

Still, this sucks and the off-season is starting to look pretty messy. We currently don’t have the cap space to resign Pietrangelo and also still need to sign Dunn. If we could move Jake Allen and Tyler Bozak we would probably be ok, but can those guys be moved? If any of your teams signed Pietrangelo or traded for Dunn you will be very happy. 

The only news out of the league office the last month was pushing back the self quarantine 2 weeks at a time.

IMHO the next 10 days should tell the tale about whether there's a playoffs this season. 

The league needs a timeline. Not sure what the timeline SHOULD be but they need one. Here's  why-

- you have players who have returned to their home country. They need to return and quarantine here.

- Players / teams are going to need to get back into playing shape.

- Even if you don't finish out the regular season, the odd number of games between wild card hopefuls have to be accounted for somehow- play in tourney? i dunno.

- You can't be starting the playoffs in August. That's just dumb and you won't finish before NFL starts.

Obviously any solution means no fans in stands and a neutral site makes some sense.

Most agressive timeline would be 

- First week of May -  players return to USA and quarantine in neutral site. 

- Mid-May - team workouts begin

' First or second week of June - finish regular season or play in tourney

- Third or Fourth week of June - playoffs start.

Again, not saying this is desired agenda, just pointing out necessary lead time if/when they make a decision 

They need a plan by April 30 IMO

Geez, I really had to dig for this thread.

The Blues are going to lose one of their best seasons in their history. At least they won last year or I’d be pretty depressed about that.

Still, this sucks and the off-season is starting to look pretty messy. We currently don’t have the cap space to resign Pietrangelo and also still need to sign Dunn. If we could move Jake Allen and Tyler Bozak we would probably be ok, but can those guys be moved? If any of your teams signed Pietrangelo or traded for Dunn you will be very happy. 
I hear ya.  It's a bummer, but the thrill of last year's Cup win is still fresh enough to where the likely loss of this season won't sting as much as it would have otherwise. I have a few friends and family members who are much more aggravated about it than I am.  I am taking the Cup half full stance. :P

The only news out of the league office the last month was pushing back the self quarantine 2 weeks at a time.

IMHO the next 10 days should tell the tale about whether there's a playoffs this season. 

The league needs a timeline. Not sure what the timeline SHOULD be but they need one. Here's  why-

- you have players who have returned to their home country. They need to return and quarantine here.

- Players / teams are going to need to get back into playing shape.

- Even if you don't finish out the regular season, the odd number of games between wild card hopefuls have to be accounted for somehow- play in tourney? i dunno.

- You can't be starting the playoffs in August. That's just dumb and you won't finish before NFL starts.

Obviously any solution means no fans in stands and a neutral site makes some sense.

Most agressive timeline would be 

- First week of May -  players return to USA and quarantine in neutral site. 

- Mid-May - team workouts begin

' First or second week of June - finish regular season or play in tourney

- Third or Fourth week of June - playoffs start.

Again, not saying this is desired agenda, just pointing out necessary lead time if/when they make a decision 

They need a plan by April 30 IMO
I keep seeing they need to play out the regular season but why? I get it sucks for the teams that get squeezed but make a short play-in or something - something the other day said they planned to go to all 82 games, that’s insane. They’ll be lucky to get the whole playoffs in, they need to focus on that and kick the rest away.  

I’d be shocked if they finish the year, but regular season games feel like a no-brainer to cancel. 

I don’t think it happens either. Sucks so much. 
I think they do finish...  maybe have all the teams ar one arena and they play all day long every other day.  That would give them like 22-24 days to get ready for the playoffs.  And who knows?  By then maybe play home games for playoffs and let in 30% of the fans

Bettman seems pretty set on playing it out and pushing back next year’s start if you’ve been following what he’s been saying.  given the timing of everything I think the most likely scenario is an extended playoff that includes all bubble teams when the world stopped.

I just don't see it. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes, so many people involved. It doesn't seem likely.

I hope I'm wrong.

This doesn't sound good. 

@PierreVLeBrun: Among the many possibilities Bill Daly says the NHL has discussed for the draft, one is to hold the draft in June before the potential season resuming. There are some obvious complications with that, draft order and conditional picks, etc, but it’s being discussed as an option

I am not sure why they just don’t finish the season out in Buffalo. You have the hotel connected to 3 rinks. Ok, rink 3 is not the greatest, but if I can watch games with livebarn, they can figure out a way to televise from that rink. Players don’t need to leave hotel. There is a bar/resteraunt 

how does that not work

** if they plan to resume. If they are worried about players contracting covid, then it’s all moot anyway, no?

I am not sure why they just don’t finish the season out in Buffalo. You have the hotel connected to 3 rinks. Ok, rink 3 is not the greatest, but if I can watch games with livebarn, they can figure out a way to televise from that rink. Players don’t need to leave hotel. There is a bar/resteraunt 

how does that not work

** if they plan to resume. If they are worried about players contracting covid, then it’s all moot anyway, no?
Is the rona in buffalo right now? 

Roberto Luongo is absolutely killing it on Twitter tonight. 

Just wrote that Gruden is going old school and using a magazine to make his picks with a smh after it. 

Also said earlier that the Browns are going Defense/st next round. 

Users who are viewing this thread